closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinn - your choice (with pics)

Master

Sinn - your choice (with pics)

I have an urge to own a Sinn watch. There is just something about the rugged, high quality, purposeful look which attracts me to them. I guess the 'tech' is also part of the attraction, not that an oil filled '000m depth diver would ever be put to the test whilst on my wrist! I really don't know which model I'd go for as I like several of the divers and fliegers equally based purely on aesthetics.

So in an effort to help me with my deliberations lets have some discussion about which model Sinn you have, why you chose that one, and of course some pics, preferably wrist shots (as we all like posting and looking at pics of watches)!

It might be worth throwing in the odd Sinn alternative also, just to create a balanced discussion/argument.

Master
    The obvious alternative to Sinn is Damasko. Page & Cooper stocks both brands, so you can easily compare the what the two ranges look like
    via Page & Cooper's website. (Plus you'll find lots of on-line discussions comparing Sinn vs. Damasko.)

Master
    iPhone pic, taken on top of my printer :-/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some that I have owned, I still own the 356ii. I've included the last couple to illustrate what a solid lump the 103 is. Not much tech in any of these except the 857, I think in alot of cases Sinn solve problems which (for me) don't need solving.

Another EZM fan, here! Really like the rubber strap as well.

EZM1

I knew I had to have one as soon as I saw it.
    Took me 2 years to get to owning one (which was a mistake, they went up a lot in price over that period).
    But now we will not be parted. If there were only one, this would be it.

Why?
    Perfect size. Elegant (nearly) early Autavia-derived case. Capability, in terms of WR, chronograph and very good lume. Clean simplicity.
    to my mind, this is the Sinn that really upped their game.
    I am sure others will (perfectly legitimately) think otherwise.
    I have owned a few other Sinns, but for me, this is the one.

Dave

Or the U1 but don't look at the strap
    /n

Blog Entries
    Another huge Sinn fan here...

Don't currently have one but will surely have another soon.

This was my first a Sinn 857UTC - a great watch with Sinns legendary build quality, feels so robust and I love the way the UTC is presented:

Then like Dave above I lusted after an EZM1 for ages as prices steadily rose. I struggled with the decision for a while but in the end I actually chopped in my Sub 5513 for the EZM1:

It is still one of my all time favourite watches for its looks - but sadly for me I couldn't get on with the lightweight Ti construction and whilst I used to sit looking at it for hours I hardly ever wore it, so it had to go.

One of the reasons I could bring myself to part with it is that I had in the meantime unexpectedly bought an EZM2. Almost as beautiful as the EZM1 with the weight I needed and the pick and go advantage of quartz you could almost call it my perfect watch:

But in the end that succumbed to my flipping rules and had to go toward my current vintage Omega desires. The EZM2 is the watch I will buy again - maybe not be lucky enough to find another GSG 9 - unless Ryan above sells it back to me in the future!

I like some of the aesthetics of the newer models, but they are all too big for my taste, with Sinn 'vintage', (last 30 yrs or so) is the way to go IMHO. The are many more in the range I would like to try, especially those with the Lemania 5100 movement or variations of.

Sinn are well worth a try, most iconic models hold value well if bought wisely.

Rob
    Last edited by AIDM; 3rd August 2013 at 10:55.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I forgot I also owned one of these for a short while, but felt it was a tad to big for me in the end, lovely watch though:

Rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    iPhone pic, taken on top of my printer :-/

That would be my choice (on steel or rubber).

Master
    I have a couple... A UX... the most readable watch ever, at any angle..

And a 358 juiblaum...classic chronograph..

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

When my dad died, he left everything to my mum but made a gift of £1,000 to myself and my brother. I thought I'd put the money towards a watch to remember him by. I chose the Sinn 857UTC with bracelet. I've tried it with straps but still prefer the bracelet. This is my first Sinn but I don't think it will be my last.

i really like the Sinn brand and a lot of its watches. like ost i think its the design and tech that draw me to them. haven't tried Damasko but dont see why they would be any less of a watch.

looking at the 103 or regulator in the near future. if anyone asked me if they should buy one i would say yes, if you like the style and if its not for you it will pass on real easy and not much of a hit if you buy 2nd hand.

I love my U1 ...but I've yet to see a Sinn I wouldn't want to own! I also have a Damasko DA46; also great. One advantage of a Sinn over any Damasko: the availability of a steel bracelet!

Mine is a Sinn 8820- fairly rare now I beleive. Lightweight titanium and the perfect size, so sits comfortably. The bezel is recessed making it very low profile. Its powered by ETA 2892 chonometer which is exceptionally smooth. Like many of the above posters I also liked the brutal design- nothing extraneous, no nonsense, no bling at all.

Had my 656 for 9 years now, and the 356 for 6:

A review of the 356 is what sucked me into WIS-dom, and I still love it. The 656 is a total classic in my eyes, and if I had to reduce to only a single watch that would be the one.

I've also had a U1, EZM3, an 857 and two 144s along the way. All excellent as well. I'd still have the EZM3 if I could have afforded to keep it (and I'd have a U1 or an 857 any day again).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

EZM3 here shown fitted with a strap. Love it.

Master
    Hi Dave,

That's a nice strap. What is it? Where can you buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

I used to have a UX GSG9

But now its just these two, 656L and 556

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks
    Sorry, no longer available.
    It is an ATG 20mm dive strap (made for him by Jean Rousseau, they cost a lot to make, so he didn't repeat the order).
    I cheated and coloured the white stitching red with a Sharpie to wear with the EZM1 - I like it.
    I think Bremont's 20mm Kevlar might be the closest you'll get (which also cost a lot - too much perhaps) - as I think Al intorduced Bremont to Rousseau.
    However, I am sure there are plenty of others.

The Sharpie trick works well by the way, and lasts several dunkings before it needs refreshing.

D

PS - Item 330950710118 on ebay - no connection etc but £60 is better than £150

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    And a 358 juiblaum...classic chronograph..

Wish i had the cash when these came out, i love it

I have a 556 which I think is fantastic.

There are some great watches in this thread.

If my car had not decided throw a wobbly with its DMF which has in turn eaten my 6 speed gearbox, i would have rather spent the money to get it burning fuel at a alarming rate again on a Sinn U2.

Oh well do I need a U2 , no.

Do I need a Gearbox rebuild, you Bet.

Happy Days.

I am happy just looking at the pictures.

I must say I'm a bit of an Sinn fan I did the factory tour a few years
    Ago was very impressed with it
    I've had a few of there watches but the ones I still have are
    The EZM1 le

And the EZM2 box set

U2 black

Journeyman
    Have two EZM1's (3H and Ar) and a U1-T. Clean no-nonsense designs and previously very affordable. I bought both EZM1's new from German AD's for $1200 USD.

Of late, Sinn has invested a lot in new technologies, which is great, but their prices have been rising significantly.

For similar watches, I'd look at Tutima (old line, not the new stuff), Fortis, and Orfina PD.

This was my first purchase after joining the forum and my first mechanical watch. I love it and it'll never be sold. Next on the list is a 857s UTC if I can drum up the funds.

Ok. I'm a bit confused, never owned a Sinn but becoming very interested in the U1/UX and the EZM Series. Are the EZM 1 and 2 still made? And which is a quartz? And is there an EZM3? - I really like the look of them and I've looked at various sites but no e if it is that clear. I thought the U Series replaced the EZM's but I don't think that's quite right?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Ok. I'm a bit confused, never owned a Sinn but becoming very interested in the U1/UX and the EZM Series. Are the EZM 1 and 2 still made? And which is a quartz? And is there an EZM3? - I really like the look of them and I've looked at various sites but no e if it is that clear. I thought the U Series replaced the EZM's but I don't think that's quite right?
    The EZM series are "mission timers" and have certain characteristics designed for military, police, firemen, etc.

The U-series simply designates use of U-Boat steel. There are some U-series watches that are part of the EZM line. For example the UX is also the EZM 2B.

The EZM1, 2, and 4 are no longer made. The EZM2 is an oil filled quartz like the UX (hence the UX also being named EZM 2B). The EZM3 is an automatic 3-hander that is still made. The EZM1 and 4 used the now unavailable Lemania 5100 movement, which is likely the main reason they are no longer made. Also, neither was a terrific seller, with the EZM1 selling about 3000 units, and the EZM4 selling many fewer than that.
    Last edited by Foodle; 3rd August 2013 at 22:52.

My only Sinn is the Arktis

Malc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Hi Dave,

Dougal,

I also liked Daves strap when I saw a pic he posted once a while back when I still had the EZM1...

I bought one of these: http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/Othe...ith-Red-Stitch

Don't have any pics of it on the watch sadly, but it did make a nice combination.

Worth a try for £20?!

Rob

Master
    Thanks Rob - looks good for £20!

Apprentice
    I have a Sinn U2 GMT

my favourite feature is the tough rugged case - just don't seem to mark or scratch

double AR Sapphire is flawless and at many angles looks as though there is no glass

real tool watch

Apprentice
    oh and I badly want that genuine Sinn strap made by Di Modell

otherwise may settle for the chronissimo

Journeyman

Nice to see the love for Sinn here!

I once had several Sinns. Now I am finally down to two that, I think, are keepers:

The EZM4 is essentially a reversed 157. Although I find the steel case a little heavy, it wears very nicely.

I got my EZM1 from its original owner, a German police officer. I had been vacillating about getting an EZM1 for a long time: They are very expensive and not all that exclusive, to be honest. Still, it seemed to have most of the features I wanted: Titanium case, reversed crown, bracelet, and the wonderful Lemania 5100 inside.

I find it difficult to get worked up over the EZM1 like some. It is a very well-made watch but very low-key. Nothing really special. It does not tug at my heart strings like some other watches do. But I must confess that if I need a watch that will do everything, I take the EZM1. When I go on extended trips, it usually comes with. It is one of those rare pieces that manages to do everything well.

Journeyman
    856UTC for me.

I love the rugged toolishness.

Paul.

Master
    Plenty of Sinn'ers here then. The U1 and EZM's seem to have a strong following. My preference seems to be more toward the 857, which may tempt me to splash out. Slightly concerned that at 43mm it might be a bit large for my 7" wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Plenty of Sinn'ers here then. The U1 and EZM's seem to have a strong following. My preference seems to be more toward the 857, which may tempt me to splash out. Slightly concerned that at 43mm it might be a bit large for my 7" wrist.
    My wrist is only 17.5cm and the 857 wore completely fine on me when I had one. It's flat and not too long lug to lug, which makes a big difference.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Stunting looking watches, iv all ways wanted one out of the 103 range and one day I mite treat my self to oneB-)

Journeyman
    Never heard of sinn before i joined the forum, but must say i really like the U2

Blog Entries
    Had this..

Flipped it.

Regretted it.

z

Currently, I have only this one:

My previous Sinns:

This one features in a rather better photo by its' current owner earlier in the thread:

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    I have a couple of them, the 356 Flieger II was my first proper watch:

I also have the love it or hate it U1-W, which lives on a black rubber strap in the winter and a white one in the summer:

Both together:

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just had to see that photo again. Love it!

Master
    Nice watch , but Brilliant photography

Master
    I'm not sure if this thread has helped me decide which model I would like, as they're are many, but it has certainly got the juices flowing, so to speak, and I'm going to have to take the plunge into Sinn ownership.

I think perhaps the 857 (as mentioned earlier) will be the one (well, the first) and hope that as said the size will be for me. It's a shame there are no stockists close to me to be able to try before I buy. Might have to post up a WTB and buy pre-owned. So if it's to be an 857 it is then just a case of UTC or non-UTC?

Master
    I don't (yet ?) own a Sinn, but I would like to say how much this thread has cheered me. Quality watches with that fabulous functional & legible look.

Really impressive all of them.

My Sinn 103 sa. It had everything I need in a watch. Unfortunately I deceided to sell it. Would love a 144 but are hard to come buy used so will probably have to buy new

Really like the UX - still on my wish list!