closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car wanted for £250 or less (serious post)

Car wanted for £250 or less (serious post)

My nephew is planning a "Blues Banger" run down to Switzerland and back to raise money for Help For Heroes. They did have a Volvo which had been painted up to look like the Bluesmobile and him and a mate were going to dress as Jake and Elwood. Unfortunately the Volvo developed a terminal illness (after it had been painted) and now they're pushed to find a replacement vehicle.

Anybody got anything or got any ideas?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Might be worthwhile ringing round the local dealers that work out of portacabins as they'll often take ultracheap part-ex cars and be only too glad to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Have a look on here ,memory lane.http://retrorides.proboards.com/board/1
    My wife I'm sure says thank you very much for introducing me to that site...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    My nephew is planning a "Blues Banger" run down to Switzerland and back to raise money for Help For Heroes. They did have a Volvo which had been painted up to look like the Bluesmobile and him and a mate were going to dress as Jake and Elwood. Unfortunately the Volvo developed a terminal illness (after it had been painted) and now they're pushed to find a replacement vehicle.

Anybody got anything or got any ideas?
    Wouldn't a word with a local Volvo dealer or even Volvo CS see them able to continue in the spirit they intended?

Master
    Retrorides............. far too posh !

What you want is http://autoshite.com/forum/3-general-chat/
    Last edited by catflem; 29th August 2013 at 19:51.

Didn't Clarkson get an old Volvo for a pound from a dealer who'd taken one in PX a few years back, as it was cheaper than scrapping it? So you could try walking in and being arrogant and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'll certainly say 'thank you' to Jega for the intro: just found the answer to a technical question (that's been perplexing me for a while) in their Technical section! (Haven't dared look in the Cars For Sale section yet...)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by CH47Driver View Post
    Didn't Clarkson get an old Volvo for a pound from a dealer who'd taken one in PX a few years back, as it was cheaper than scrapping it? So you could try walking in and being arrogant and see what happens?
    There's value in the metal now, a few years ago there wasn't.

Hence why you don't see any dumped cars on the roads anymore.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'll certainly say 'thank you' to Jega for the intro: just found the answer to a technical question (that's been perplexing me for a while) in their Technical section! (Haven't dared look in the Cars For Sale section yet...)

R
    Just spent an hour going through the classifieds. Some incredible cars.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Just spent an hour going through the classifieds. Some incredible cars.
    Must resist, must resist...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by CH47Driver View Post
    Everything on TG is staged & scripted.

An older type Suzuki Swift might do the trick. I've once tried to destroy one, and had a pretty tough job doing so. Eventually the head gasket gave way...... Good HP/weight ratio for the 1.3's, good handling.

This is local, good runner, has tax and test and if you squint looks like the blues mobile...that has been in a shunt :)

Okay, it's up at 350 notes but cash talks:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C417636#

Master
    I'd be touring the local dealers and seeing if they had anything up to £500ish and then explaining the situation. Most will probably tell you to piss off but you might find a gem if the dealer is feeling charitable.

Auctions, I bought a car for 60 quid there once and it lasted me 6 months until I sold it for 400

Quote Originally Posted by Jase0851 View Post
    Auctions, I bought a car for 60 quid there once and it lasted me 6 months until I sold it for 400
    Buyers premium alone is about 300 quid for a private buyer these days...

Master
    Do an ebay search amongst the tat there will be something for under £250 with a months tax and mot.

I spoke with a local customer who owns a prestige car and bike company. I didn't expect him to have anything but I wanted to know if he could point me in the right direction. He said "Hey yes, I take PXs all the time and some of them go on my "death row" because I wouldn't put them on the forecourt". These are not bad cars, just older cars and he currently has a 944 convertible for £2000, which I thought was quite reasonable (although beyond the budget for the Bluesmobile run").

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Well put. I think everyone's wives aren't exactly going to be over the moon.

I just explained to mine there's a £500 924 on there - and it only needs a little welding.* Her response was quite short and Anglo Saxon.

*It's only ever a little welding.

Craftsman
    I have recently sorn an old Audi a3 petrol s reg

Its currently sitting on my parents drive in Cheshire as dad wanted the brand new tyres from it.

If your stuck I'm sure we could work something out

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Buyers premium alone is about 300 quid for a private buyer these days...

Ya kidin, I know I haven't been for a few years but that's ridiculous. Buyers premuim used to be percentage based as the seller pays the auction to sell it in the first place

Craftsman
    I spoke with a local customer who owns a prestige car and bike company. I didn't expect him to have anything but I wanted to know if he could point me in the right direction. He said "Hey yes, I take PXs all the time and some of them go on my "death row" because I wouldn't put them on the forecourt". These are not bad cars, just older cars and he currently has a 944 convertible for £2000, which I thought was quite reasonable (although beyond the budget for the Bluesmobile run").

Eddie
    I could be a basket case with terminal sill corrosion too. Id still be interested to see it, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Hence why you don't see any dumped cars on the roads anymore.
    Unless, as an anecdotal aside, they are used in a crime. A road near where I live has apparently been used several times as a dumping location for flatbed vehicle transporters. It seems, from what I am told, that these have been stolen and then used in the theft of more valuable vehicles. Once the theft is over the transporter is dumped. Why on this particular road I don't know, except that it's wide and fairly quiet at nights.

Master
    I might be picking up a toyota carina thats sat for a bit that could fit the bill.. will let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Jase0851 View Post
    Ya kidin, I know I haven't been for a few years but that's ridiculous. Buyers premuim used to be percentage based as the seller pays the auction to sell it in the first place
    He is kidding, or needs to change auction houses if they charge as much as that for a banger. It's not practical to buy bangers from auctions really unless you get them really cheap. I got a focus for £400 to sell on, then by the time the auction fees and registration cost they charge you were added, it was a total of 650.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    He is kidding, or needs to change auction houses if they charge as much as that for a banger. It's not practical to buy bangers from auctions really unless you get them really cheap. I got a focus for £400 to sell on, then by the time the auction fees and registration cost they charge you were added, it was a total of 650.
    So I was kidding that they charge £300, but you've just stated you paid £250..... Worlds apart...

It was Mannheim BTW. Some auction houses may charge slightly less, but even the fees alone that you paid break the OPs budget cap. Auctions are not practical for cheap cars.

Master
    Keep looking on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-...item232ef6d366

Volvo 850 estate BIN £295 with mot. I'm sure it'd go for £250 cash.

He got a Honda Civic yesterday afternoon. It looks very tidy and he's well impressed with the mpg.

Eddie

Master
    Not very Blues Brothers but since its a Honda it'll never break down at least!

Craftsman
    He got a Honda Civic yesterday afternoon. It looks very tidy and he's well impressed with the mpg.

Eddie
    Charity rallies are always full of first-timers with Jaguars and S Class Mercedes and pained looks on their faces after the first couple of fuel stops.

Definitely a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    So I was kidding that they charge £300, but you've just stated you paid £250..... Worlds apart...

It was Mannheim BTW. Some auction houses may charge slightly less, but even the fees alone that you paid break the OPs budget cap. Auctions are not practical for cheap cars.
    I listed the cost price wrongly! Sorry. It was SMA Auctions and I paid 475 for the car, total cost 650. So 175 fees. It's still way too much obviously.