closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yorkshire Day

Yorkshire Day

A belligerent Yorkshire Day to one and all. Whether you come from Gods own County or not. And in the spirit of the day, The Tykes motto:

See all, 'ear all, say nowt,
    Eat all, drink all, pay nowt,
    an if tha ever does owt for nowt, alus do it for thi sen!

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    A belligerent Yorkshire Day to one and all. Whether you come from Gods own County or not. And in the spirit of the day, The Tykes motto:

See all, 'ear all, say nowt,
    Eat all, drink all, pay nowt,
    an if tha ever does owt for nowt, alus do it for thi sen!
    I have lived in Yorkshire for 14 years and never realised that 1 August is Yorkshire Day. Thank you!

Happy Yorkshire Day to all sons and daughters of the Promised Land.

On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at...

Born in Ripon me and spent first six months of my life in the caravan site at the back of Bill Hall's scrapyard. So if I knew which end of a cricket stick to hold I could do it for Yorkshire.

[Ironically I have Lancastrian forebears stretching far as back as Ancesty.com can see. That might make me a sort of northern Kwisatz Haderach but then again...]

Now then lads...

For those who can't see God's own county through their windows, take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJTMeXUfLJ8

And av an 'appy Yorkshire day.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Born in Ripon me and spent first six months of my life in the caravan site at the back of Bill Hall's scrapyard. So if I knew which end of a cricket stick to hold I could do it for Yorkshire.

[Ironically I have Lancastrian forebears stretching far as back as Ancesty.com can see. That might make me a sort of northern Kwisatz Haderach but then again...]

Friends Life T20 - North Group

Team Played Won Lost Tied N/R R/R Points
    1 Nottinghamshire 10 7 3 0 0 1.009 14.0
    2 Lancashire 10 5 3 2 0 0.177 12.0
    3 Durham 10 6 4 0 0 0.317 11.75
    4 Leicestershire 10 4 5 1 0 0.417 9.0
    5 Derbyshire 10 4 6 0 0 -0.604 8.0
    6 Yorkshire 10 2 7 1 0 -1.223 5.0

Your County needed you.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Friends Life T20 - North Group

Team Played Won Lost Tied N/R R/R Points
    1 Nottinghamshire 10 7 3 0 0 1.009 14.0
    2 Lancashire 10 5 3 2 0 0.177 12.0
    3 Durham 10 6 4 0 0 0.317 11.75
    4 Leicestershire 10 4 5 1 0 0.417 9.0
    5 Derbyshire 10 4 6 0 0 -0.604 8.0
    6 Yorkshire 10 2 7 1 0 -1.223 5.0

Your County needed you.
    Never mind ping pong. We save ourselves for the proper game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/c...sion-one/table

I can see Yorkshire from the beer garden of my local, it's that big place the other side of the river, looks nice.

Brighty

Master
    Everyday is Yorkshire Day!

An American tourist comes to England to visit. He tours around the major cities and, being a great lover of cathedrals and churches, he visits many - starting in St. Pauls Cathedral in London.

Whilst in there he is admiring the great architecture and amazing fittings when he notices a golden telephone behind the alter!
    He asks some-one what the golden phone is...and gets the answer "thats a direct line to God! But it costs 5 million quid a minute to use it !"
    Amazed, he snaps some photos, and moves on for his next visit.

In Lincoln Cathedral he is again loooking around at the majesty of the interior, when he sees another golden telephone behind the alter. Again, he asks someone what it is...."a direct line to God mate! But its 5 million quid a minute to use it!"
    Again, amazed, he snaps some photos, and moves on for his next visit.

He visits great cathedrals and churches the length and breadth of
    Britain - Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol etc etc....and all have these golden phones behind the alter - all £5 million quid a minute.

Finally he arrives in Yorkshire and calls in Sheffield Cathedral. He is taking photos and taking it all in when he notices that there is a sign next to the golden phone which reads, "All calls 10pence".

Aghast, he asks the Vicar about it, "I have seen these golden phones in all the places I have visited, but they are £5 million quid a minute to call God...how come this one has that sign on it?"

The Vicar replies "This is Yorkshire my friend...its a local call from here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Everyday is Yorkshire Day!
    Too right.

Later today I'll be driving from one end of the county to the other. I'll traverse two of England's largest cities, some beautiful historic cities and towns, across the fantastic moors and end up at a gorgeous seaside town. All in Yorkshire. We're spoilt :)

Lovely day in Whitby
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Lovely day in Whitby
    It's always a lovely day in Whitby :)

Master
    Happy tyke day you lot, from a red rose county boy originally from Lancaster.

Yorkshire is a beautiful place although it's on't wrong side of the pennines ;-)

Paul

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Greetings to all fellow Yorkshire folk, especially those unfortunate to be exiled.

Master
    Some 'Yorkshire Day' bargains here...

Don't know nowt about Yorkshire Day but am spending a week with the family at Robin Hoods Bay at the moment and have to say that it's superb. The crab sandwiches are mouth watering.

From Mr Bill Nelson......"the calendar said 1st of August, romance and promises of summer days" ..... Jets at Dawn.

Cool

Ah
    There was a Yorkshire lass at uni that I should have got to know better. Perhaps a missed opportunity to experience a Yorkshire day every day

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post

I've lived in Yorkshire most of my life and this is new to me! Passed through Ripon today 'ont way to Brimham Rocks. Lovely day out climbing with the 2 Grandsons.

Rod

Craftsman

Wink

Best thing out of Yorkshire is the M62 to Lancashire

I think that's the first time I've seen the M62 described as "the best" :)

So why are Yorkshire folk so proud of their county - you don't often see people going on about Bedfordshire or Suffolk in the same way? Is it in fact because it is just awesome, or some sort of over-compensating thing? Or maybe just as it's so bloody huge?

Me, I think it's because we have everything. Self-sufficient - from fish, fowl, cattle, crops, commerce, tourism, houses that real people can buy and nice locals :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've lived in Yorkshire most of my life and this is new to me! Passed through Ripon today 'ont way to Brimham Rocks. Lovely day out climbing with the 2 Grandsons.

Rod
    I spent the first six months of my life in Ripon in [Ahem] 1961 when Dad was serving with the RAF at Dishforth. I would imagine that Bill Hall and his scrapyard may well be long gone by now.

Master
    Don't think we recognise 'Yorkshire Day' in Leeds, at least nobody mentioned it.

Best thing about Leeds? Last night from the city center to the M1 and 70 mph ( cough cough) ........three minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Some 'Yorkshire Day' bargains here...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    As a proud Yorky, I have to confess I`d forgotten it was Yorkshire Day!

As for the 'Ebygum' ebay spoof, that REALLY made me laugh!

Yorkshire has virtually everything you could ask for, including Rugby League.....best spectator sport by a long way IMO.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    So why are Yorkshire folk so proud of their county - you don't often see people going on about Bedfordshire or Suffolk in the same way? Is it in fact because it is just awesome, or some sort of over-compensating thing? Or maybe just as it's so bloody huge?

Me, I think it's because we have everything. Self-sufficient - from fish, fowl, cattle, crops, commerce, tourism, houses that real people can buy and nice locals :)
    I also think Yorkshire is one of the few counties that has an identity and character about it, it's what makes things like eBygum gag and Hale & Pace's Yorkshire Airlines sketch funny.

World: tremble before our might and our gift of self-deprecation/awareness.

See you all next year.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Did not know there was a Yorkshire day and I live on its doorstep !!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As a proud Yorky, I have to confess I`d forgotten it was Yorkshire Day!

As for the 'Ebygum' ebay spoof, that REALLY made me laugh!

Yorkshire has virtually everything you could ask for, including Rugby League.....best spectator sport by a long way IMO.

Paul
    Not only do we have Rugby League, we invented it (in the George Hotel, Huddersfield).

Master
    And the best team in Yorkshire will be winning at Wembley in a couple of weeks... ;)

Another who had no idea it was Yorkshire Day here. Tourist board missing a trick there. Maybe concentrating on the TDF too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Another who had no idea it was Yorkshire Day here. Tourist board missing a trick there.
    The tourist board probably invented it, that's how these things usually work.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    And the best team in Yorkshire will be winning at Wembley in a couple of weeks... ;)
    Old faithful, you'll never win at Wembley!

Joking aside I think you will actually win, I'm going to put a few quid on it, may as well get some compo for loosing a song:)

Well, I guess it's not Yorkshire Day anymore. Still the sun rises and sets.