TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggest commuter towns within 1 hour from London

A bit out of date - but worth a read...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jun/16/commuting

Cheers,

Look North!

Market Harborough in Lecestershire.
    Grantham (Linc/Notts border) and some delightful surrounding villages.

Direct fast trains from both, under an hour's journey. Your money would go a long way in either area. I know folks who commute from both.

No-one's mentioned Slough.

John Betjeman did.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Friends of ours live in Peterborough and we visit them quite often, it seems a very nice place (bar some areas which all places have) and is around an hour commute from what they have told me. They live in a place called "Hampton" which is a purpose built town and literally has everything you would ever need there and all brand new houses which seem reasonably priced. I live on Anglesey so not sure on the commute aspect but it does seem an ok place to live
    I'm in Peterborough and can confirm GNER commute time to Kings Cross is 50-55mins. Hampton is just one of the many 'new build' areas which would see good change from £300k for a 4/5 bedroom house. £450k would get you something more individual of similar size, non-estate an a bigger garden.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Colchester, one hour from London Liverpool street, twenty minute drive to the beach and a great zoo!
    +1 from me. North Essex / Suffolk border with picture postcard villages and lots of lovely pubs selling Adnams bitter & Aspall cider. Best kept secret in Britain.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ok following on from the Rochester thread I would be interested in your advice as to where I could move to.

Situation is I have a baby on the way and want to get out of London but commute in every day. So I need a reliable service to London, ideally no more than an hour and with the house no more than 20 mins walk from the station.

Budget wise I have been granted a mortgage of £600k based on salary multiples but seeing as it is patently obvious that the property market outside of London needs to collapse to be in line with the 'real world' I want to spend no more than £400k for a 3/4 bed detached property. If there is something absolutely spellbinding I can go up to £750k but it had better be bubble-proof.

Would welcome any suggestions. The areas this far in the running include Guildford, Goldalming, East Grinstead (my wife is crazy about this place due to it being in 'Winnie the Pooh country') and Lingfield.
    East Grinstead and Lingfield are good I live in Dormansland near Lingfield, 10 minute walk to the station 45-50 mins to London Bridge or Victoria.... dead easy... Forest Row is nice a bit more quirky... but you would have to drive to Grinstead for the train or cycle along the forest way

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sal...59b716523035a0

just near me

I can recommend Ampthill, Bedfordshire - Brother in law and his missus live there and she commutes straight from Flitwick station (next village over) into London bridge every day in under and hour non-stop. She works at Express News group if that's anywhere near your office...?

e.g.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    +1 from me. North Essex / Suffolk border with picture postcard villages and lots of lovely pubs selling Adnams bitter & Aspall cider. Best kept secret in Britain.

You are Lovejoy and I claim my £5!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    You are Lovejoy and I claim my £5!
    and you must be Tinker Dill

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    and you must be Tinker Dill
    How did you guess my secret identity?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Where do you work in London?

Leigh-on-Sea nr Southend. C-2-C rail into London Fenchurch St 50 minutes. Rayleigh 4 miles away for 60 minutes into London Liverpool St.

Great cockles and beer, folk and art festivals, - all by the lovely Thames Estuary;-)

Ok gents after all that it looks like I will be buying a place in London (but a bigger place than where I am now) to stay in for a few years. Basically the properties I really wanted were slightly out of range price wise so if I buy a 3 bed semi in London the price growth on that will outstrip growth where I want to live meaning more equity to spend later.

Was also concerned about committing too high a budget - I am on a basic salary plus commission (my wife doesn't work) and already my outgoings are higher than my basic salary - any more than what I am currently paying and it's squeaky bum time relying on commissions and the transport costs were adding up significantly. I can't overstretch myself with a baby due.

Really appreciate all the feedback.