closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solid quartz movement

Solid quartz movement

Opened a watch to change the battery and was pleasantly surprised to see this:

Anyone can recommend a good set of screwdrivers to get the battery holder off? It looks like it's sub 1mm.
    Last edited by jnike; 24th July 2013 at 14:43.

Craftsman
    Have a look at this thread: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...4-Screwdrivers

I'd go for A&F. Relativily cheap and ok quality.

Good looking movement for a quarts. What watch is it?

Craftsman
    BTW, you can get both the battery and screwdrivers at http://cousinsuk.com

Quote Originally Posted by jnike View Post
    Opened a watch to change the battery and was pleasant surprised to see this:

Anyone can recommend a good set of screwdrivers to get the battery holder off? It looks like it's sub 1mm.
    That is very nice - what movement / watch is it?

I took a snap-back off a Bulova Precisionist yesterday just to have a look at the movement... and spent nearly an hour trying to get the damn thing back on! Had to use a vice in the end ;)

Opened a watch to change the battery and was pleasant surprised to see this:

Looking at it, I don't think you need screwdrivers for a battery change. It looks like there are tabs the opposite end to the screw which you depress to remove the old battery and put a new one in. I could be wrong, as it's not entirely clear from the picture how flexible the tabs may or may not be, but many are like this. Be careful though.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    I think the battery clamp is designed to be loosened and swung away to release the battery. This will ensure the clamp doesn`t get sprained and loose it's tension. A 1.0mm screwdriver will probably be the right one.

Paul

Thanks for all replies! I did manage to pry the clamp out and replace the battery, however trying to put the clamp back resulted in it snapping, so on the second thought the initial instinct to use the screwdriver was probably right :(

The movement is Ronda 5030 as discussed here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...l-5030-D-query

As for the watch, it's one of the fashion brands (Breil 0383, lady's chrono) not particularly liked around here :)

Grand Master
    Thanks for all replies! I did manage to pry the clamp out and replace the battery, however trying to put the clamp back resulted in it snapping, so on the second thought the initial instinct to use the screwdriver was probably right :(

The movement is Ronda 5030 as discussed here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...l-5030-D-query

As for the watch, it's one of the fashion brands (Breil 0383, lady's chrono) not particularly liked around here :)
    Sometimes I think I waste my f***ing time trying to give advice on this forum.........

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sometimes I think I waste my f***ing time trying to give advice on this forum.........

Paul
    SWings and roundabouts Paul, 9/10 of your posts are touting for work, so maybe he just ignored it thinking it was one of those?!!!

Paul
    Of course you are Paul!

Last option.......read the instructions

Penultimate option..... Take expert advice

Even "hitting it with a hammer" is higher up the list!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

SWings and roundabouts Paul, 9/10 of your posts are touting for work, so maybe he just ignored it thinking it was one of those?!!!
    No, I thought Paul was on a self imposed work break... :-)

Master

Paul
    You were wrong anyway.

The clamp is bent and acts like a spring holding the battery down. A beginner changing one of these inevitably ends up on the floor searching for the screw....

Trick is to hold it down with a plastic peg, release screw fully, lift away the screw and slowly release clamp. Replace battery and do it in reverse.

Master
    Speaking of quartz, ETA has a new line of flatline movements that replace and are interchangeable (afaik) with all the older classic movements (255.111 etc).

http://eta.ch/index.php?id=173

Got the sealed look to the gear train and a smaller/simplified circuit board and quartz resonator.

I think the battery clamp is designed to be loosened and swung away to release the battery. This will ensure the clamp doesn`t get sprained and loose it's tension. A 1.0mm screwdriver will probably be the right one.

Paul
    First, thanks for the advice.

Second, I kind of thought I was following the advice but then my actions might have be a different interpretation :). I did swing the clamp away.

In any case, the watch is working and I did order an A&F screwdriver set, thanks to the advice on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    You were wrong anyway.

The clamp is bent and acts like a spring holding the battery down. A beginner changing one of these inevitably ends up on the floor searching for the screw....

Trick is to hold it down with a plastic peg, release screw fully, lift away the screw and slowly release clamp. Replace battery and do it in reverse.
    That was my conclusion, i.e. did need to release the screw fully. There is always next time :)