closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,700 of 2807

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

  1. #2651
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Futureshock makes the diverge a dream to ride. Add a cobble gobbler and its amazing
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  2. #2652
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,026
    Beautiful out there today. I think I might even have got a bit sunburned ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #2653
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324









    80 mile adventure on the gravelbike today. Lush
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  4. #2654
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,957
    Blog Entries
    1
    First group of 6 ride in what must be a year, good to be out for a 60 mile tear up with the lads inc. a bacon and egg stop.

    Almost like normal ...

  5. #2655
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Harrow
    Posts
    4,246
    First time trial of the year yesterday West London Combine 25. Slow was hardly the word..... But what a great day for it, and with 40+riders just from our club good tocatch up with people I have not seen since last year.

  6. #2656
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,611
    Is there anybody out there rides with Speedplay pedals?

    Iím considering buying a grease gun to lube the spindle bearings and wondered if there was an alternative to the Speedplay grease gun which is around £45.

  7. #2657
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    2,098
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Is there anybody out there rides with Speedplay pedals?

    Iím considering buying a grease gun to lube the spindle bearings and wondered if there was an alternative to the Speedplay grease gun which is around £45.
    Iíve got at least half a dozen pairs of Speedplay Zeros which I lubricate with the Speedplay grease gun.

  8. #2658
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,022
    I just use a standard grease gun with a narrow point. There is absolutely no need to buy the branded version, it is a rip off. Even a plastic syringe would do.

    BTW, Wahoo have just brought out their updated versions of Speedplay pedals. Maintenance free apparently.

  9. #2659
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    102
    Speedplay frog user over here. I just use a simple£10 refillable needle point gun. You know the type, one you put over the pastic cap of grease tub and draw up a chamber full with the plunger. Ace pedals and I relube every month.takes seconds.

  10. #2660
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,403
    Nice run out today. Hailstones early on, but the sun came out later.



  11. #2661
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,458
    Malcolm Borg 26 tubeless new wheels arrived on Thursday. I didnt realise my carbon bike could feel firmer! But it does. The wheels and tyres feel so responsive on the hills and when accelerating. Thanks to those on here who chipped in with wheel recommendations. Now all I need to do is find another gear to keep up with my wife on her new Specialised Vado SL 😃🚴*♂️🚴*♂️

  12. #2662
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,022
    Pics please!

  13. #2663
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Malcolm Borg 26 tubeless new wheels arrived on Thursday. I didnt realise my carbon bike could feel firmer! But it does. The wheels and tyres feel so responsive on the hills and when accelerating. Thanks to those on here who chipped in with wheel recommendations. Now all I need to do is find another gear to keep up with my wife on her new Specialised Vado SL *♂️*♂️
    Malcolm makes cracking wheels, been really pleased with my Borgs for a couple of years

  14. #2664
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Rode the gravel bike to Winchester and back. Temperature stayed below 5c all day and then at 80 mile point it started to snow, then hail, then rain.

    Still perfect.




    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  15. #2665
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Pics please!
    Will do tomorrow, bike is resting, as is its owner😀

  16. #2666
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,458

    Here we Go

    New wheels and just come back from a pre tea thrash and scored my first KOM. In a tiny group but its still a crown :)



  17. #2667
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,022
    Looking good. Hubs are very businesslike.

  18. #2668
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Looking good. Hubs are very businesslike.
    Yes thats the only obvious branding. The side walls have a Borg logo but its a gloss black on a matt black, so unless you are looking for it you will never see it. It certainly contrasts with Zipp Grammo or Cosmic logos.

    After many years of ďnewĒ disk braked bikes I had forgotten what a nice set of polished rims were like. However a few 20% decents at the weekend have taken the shine off.

    Steve

  19. #2669
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Harrow
    Posts
    4,246
    At Bedford on Sunday, qualifier for 2022 World Championships Duathlon in Australia. As I had a "Pre Qualified" from a win last year, I could "enjoy" the event, despite the cold. PS - note running shoes.It was a sprint event, and that saved me about 1.5 minutes in the two transitions on a flat course.


  20. #2670
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    1
    Spot on and well done buddy, cracking pic as well.

    Pitch

  21. #2671
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    At Bedford on Sunday, qualifier for 2022 World Championships Duathlon in Australia. As I had a "Pre Qualified" from a win last year, I could "enjoy" the event, despite the cold. PS - note running shoes.It was a sprint event, and that saved me about 1.5 minutes in the two transitions on a flat course.


    Great picture and congratulations on your qualification.

  22. #2672
    The current cassette on my 1x Diverge isn't giving me the range I thought it would. Most commonly I run out of gears when I'm trying to go fast but find I only really use about 3 or 4 gears anyway.

    Riding is 70% road 30% forest and the Diverge seemed a better option than the Roubaix at the time.

    Current cassette is the Sunrace, 11-speed, alloy spider, 11-42t

    Would changing to a 10-42 make that much difference? The one I'm looking at is SRAM XG-1150 11 Speed Cassette. I think beyond this I should probably be looking at 2x bike or spending silly money on a 12 speed cassette. Thoughts?

  23. #2673
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,449
    Could you just get a bigger chainring? What size are you using at the moment?

    I think 12 speed is probably out, unless youíre prepared to buy new chainring, chain, shifter and rear derailleur as well as cassette.

  24. #2674
    How obvious, and it didn't even enter my mind!

    CRANKSET SRAM Apex 1x GXP
    CHAINRINGS 40T, custom-alloy

    This is my exact bike https://www.specializedconceptstore....e-base-carbon/

  25. #2675
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,129
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    How obvious, and it didn't even enter my mind!

    CRANKSET SRAM Apex 1x GXP
    CHAINRINGS 40T, custom-alloy

    This is my exact bike https://www.specializedconceptstore....e-base-carbon/
    Looks like 40, 42, 44 are your options

  26. #2676
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    84
    Have a play with this calculator to see the effect on speed/cadence for a given chainring/cassette combination:

    https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

    Set the chainring min & max the same for a single front chainring configuration.

    Swapping from 11t to 10t is only going to get you a few mph at a cadence of 90. The same swap with a 44t chainring will get you about 6mph.

    You may already know this but you need to check if your hub has a Shimano or XD driver as cassettes will only fit one or the other.
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 17th April 2021 at 14:32.

  27. #2677
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    How obvious, and it didn't even enter my mind!

    CRANKSET SRAM Apex 1x GXP
    CHAINRINGS 40T, custom-alloy

    This is my exact bike https://www.specializedconceptstore....e-base-carbon/
    Yep, definitely easiest just to change the chainring to a bigger one, if youíre lacking top speed but not using the lower gears.

    Incidentally, thatís a great bike, Iím very tempted by the exact same model.

    How do you find the future shock stem? Is it effective?

  28. #2678
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Yep, definitely easiest just to change the chainring to a bigger one, if youíre lacking top speed but not using the lower gears.

    Incidentally, thatís a great bike, Iím very tempted by the exact same model.

    How do you find the future shock stem? Is it effective?
    I ride / have a diverge. Love it. The future shock just takes a little bit of the edge out of the front-end itís not suspension by stretch of the imagination but it does soak up all the cobbles and bumps and stops your hands getting sore on a really long ride.
    You donít actually realise that the future shock is working you donít get that sink on the front-end itís more the front-end just adapting to the bumps in the road
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  29. #2679
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,957
    Blog Entries
    1
    My wife has a Roubaix and says the suspension in the bars isnít noticeable but what is noticeable is the addition comfort / lack of fatigue in the hands and arms.

  30. #2680
    Thanks guys, I've just come back from an 11 mile ride through the forest (should have been 20 but hayfever cut it short) and it was much harder than the road riding yesterday but I think 42 on the front should do the trick without changing things too dramatically.

    I don't notice the future shock at all but my old bike is a 2007 Hardrock so it's wasted on me anyway. I think you might notice it on the future shock 2.0 but mine is the 1.0 or 1.5 so not adjustable on the fly. That said my front light flew off earlier and I had to go back down the road to get it so as Kerry says, not to be compared with suspension.

  31. #2681
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Yep, definitely easiest just to change the chainring to a bigger one, if youíre lacking top speed but not using the lower gears.

    Incidentally, thatís a great bike, Iím very tempted by the exact same model.

    How do you find the future shock stem? Is it effective?
    Not sure whereabouts in London you are but if you're anywhere near Buckhurst Hill mine is a 56 and you're welcome to take it for a day or two if you like.

  32. #2682
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    1
    Picked a bit of a buy up on my doorstep today, 5 month old 2020 S3.

    Quick couple of miles in trainers and down jacket when I got it home and it is a greyhound. The step up from my 2017 105 Propel is just amazing, night and day, I got back on the Propel and it feels like a barge.

    Pitch



  33. #2683
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324

    TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks guys, I've just come back from an 11 mile ride through the forest (should have been 20 but hayfever cut it short) and it was much harder than the road riding yesterday but I think 42 on the front should do the trick without changing things too dramatically.

    I don't notice the future shock at all but my old bike is a 2007 Hardrock so it's wasted on me anyway. I think you might notice it on the future shock 2.0 but mine is the 1.0 or 1.5 so not adjustable on the fly. That said my front light flew off earlier and I had to go back down the road to get it so as Kerry says, not to be compared with suspension.
    Did Winchester and back last week, a combination of road and canal path plus a few fields (88 miles) and came home smiling

    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  34. #2684
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,127
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    At Bedford on Sunday, qualifier for 2022 World Championships Duathlon in Australia. As I had a "Pre Qualified" from a win last year, I could "enjoy" the event, despite the cold. PS - note running shoes.It was a sprint event, and that saved me about 1.5 minutes in the two transitions on a flat course.
    Congrats! I see an interesting thread coming up about your your goal to compete in the WC Duathlon!

  35. #2685
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    1
    Stuck a WTB out for some clinchers chaps.

    Great ride there Kerry

    Pitch

  36. #2686
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Did Winchester and back last week, a combination of road and canal path plus a few fields (88 miles) and came home smiling
    Strong effort. When I can breathe properly again once hayfever has calmed down I want to get a few 50m rides in. My best so far is 36m on the 2007 Hardrock so the Diverge should be good for a chunk extra.

  37. #2687
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Stuck a WTB out for some clinchers chaps.

    Great ride there Kerry

    Pitch
    Only got spare MTB wheels at moment
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  38. #2688
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure whereabouts in London you are but if you're anywhere near Buckhurst Hill mine is a 56 and you're welcome to take it for a day or two if you like.
    Very kind of you! Sadly Iím about as far away as itís possible to be while still inside the M25!

    All these tall boys on 56s, Iím a medium/54 myself.
    Which I have to say is probably a good thing, given all the 56 bikes Kerry sells :D

  39. #2689
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Very kind of you! Sadly Iím about as far away as itís possible to be while still inside the M25!

    All these tall boys on 56s, Iím a medium/54 myself.
    Which I have to say is probably a good thing, given all the 56 bikes Kerry sells :D
    I think I should have bought a 54 but had to buy blind because of Covid and chanced the 56!

  40. #2690
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Harrow
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Congrats! I see an interesting thread coming up about your your goal to compete in the WC Duathlon!
    I will be in Almere in September to compete in this years WC duathlon (postponed from last year), and at the moment have my fingers crossed that we can go to Romania for the European Championships in July. In both cases flights already paid.

  41. #2691
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Lovely On & Off road ride yesterday. Its cycling season for sure.



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  42. #2692
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Lovely On & Off road ride yesterday. Its cycling season for sure.
    Respectable average for a ton there Kerry given the odd 4000 ft of climbing:)

    Steve

  43. #2693
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Respectable average for a ton there Kerry given the odd 4000 ft of climbing:)

    Steve
    It wasnít about speed yesterday mate, just smelling the roses and enjoying the view on a laden Gravel Bike
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  44. #2694
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Stuck a WTB out for some clinchers chaps.

    Great ride there Kerry

    Pitch
    In reply to your other thread also, I would get some built by a builder you trust using whatever hubs you fancy (King, DT, Hope etc) and some decent rims from Light Bicycle.
    I use a builder called Arkane Wheelworks in Brockley London who built me some wide 35mm deep disk clinchers on his hubs (better than Bitex and use ezo bearings) for £660.
    Everyone else I know and ride with uses his wheels.
    Thereís probably a good wheel builder not far away from you.

  45. #2695
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Berkshire
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Lovely On & Off road ride yesterday. Its cycling season for sure.
    fair f**ks to you there Kerry, that's a decent blast. I'm only just getting back up to 60km after a few months off and playing footy 3 times a week instead of cycling. A couple of the guys I ride with hit your sort of numbers and I feel like a complete novice by comparison (I am)

    you still not got any 60-62 bikes for sale at bargain prices?

  46. #2696
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    you still not got any 60-62 bikes for sale at bargain prices?
    Sadly not You are my only 6í6Ē friend
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  47. #2697
    Great day out on the IOW yesterday. Some nice, some not so nice gravel paths there I never ridden on.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #2698
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Berkshire
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Sadly not You are my only 6í6Ē friend
    gutted of Berks!

    around Henley is a nice spin; I occasionally do it with a friend from Ascot; makes a change from the hills near me..

  49. #2699
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,324
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Great day out on the IOW yesterday. Some nice, some not so nice gravel paths there I never ridden on.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At some point ill Cycle down there and ride around the island as I hear its superb views
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  50. #2700
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    At some point ill Cycle down there and ride around the island as I hear its superb views
    Oh, itís absolutely amazing. I think itís in the top 5 most beautiful rides in the UK. Clockwise is much easier than anti clockwise and you might want to avoid the chain link crossing in Cowes/East Cowes as it can be a bit of a wait.
    I think Iíve done it around 10 times over the years and yesterday was actually the first time with almost no wind. Gorgeous.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information