closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 52 of 84 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    I think we're getting dangerously close to the point where someone asks "What's wrong with the Propel and do you really need another bike?"

Is that allowed on TZ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I think we're getting dangerously close to the point where someone asks "What's wrong with the Propel and do you really need another bike?"

Is that allowed on TZ?
    That would be the thin end of the wedge, like suggesting someone doesn’t need another watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Mechanical or electric, both do the job and both have advantages and disadvantages

Disc or rim, again both stop the bike and have pros and cons

Wider tyres are comfy and unless seconds count a good option

Bottom line is just ride, I’m as happy on a mechanical gravel as I am on a electric S-Works as I am on an old MTb or Ebike because once you ignore the hype, turn your legs and enjoy the ride

All fair, one of the major benefits of electronic/hydraulic set up over cables is the total lack of required maintenance.

Cables get corroded, stretched and generally crudded up making things work less well over time.

I’m back on my summer bike, which is a 2016 Cervelo R3 with mechanical Ultegra, rim brakes, Fulcrum racing zero wheels, and 25mm Vittoria Corsa 2 tyres.

Mechanical shifting is simple enough to troubleshoot, and there are very few descents where I think Discs would be an advantage. It’s an endurance bike, not aero, but is still comfortable, and after 70 miles and 3500 ft of climbing today I’m not dead :)

At the end of the day, you have to be really strong to get an advantage from something better, and the key thing is to get out and enjoy the ride. And get a proper shop size it, and do the bike fit.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Up till now my rides have been up to 50 miles, maybe a few more this year but no touring as such. I’m a runner, so trainers over tyres everyday but I am really enjoying cycling, it’s becoming more than just a cross training tool.

So am I right to be focused on aeros. Questions questions.....

Cheers chaps

Pitch
    I can flog you a Venge (56cm) with 105 and a Set of Zipps on if you want to test the Aero water for a grand !
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    All fair, one of the major benefits of electronic/hydraulic set up over cables is the total lack of required maintenance.

Cables get corroded, stretched and generally crudded up making things work less well over time.
    Id always ride cables in the rain and mud over electric then a 2 min rinse and dry and a quick lube and 35 years later still never had a drama.
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    I can flog you a Venge (56cm) with 105 and a Set of Zipps on if you want to test the Aero water for a grand !
    Core yeah, 5’10”, 32” leg is that going to be big for me??

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Some great views and advice so many thanks all.

Funny though, someone said to me today what’s up with the Propel. Just fancy a change.

Cheers again chaps

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Id always ride cables in the rain and mud over electric then a 2 min rinse and dry and a quick lube and 35 years later still never had a drama.
    Cables are a perfectly adequate solution but just as with aircraft, cars and motorbikes better tech is now available.

I still enjoy riding my cabled steel bike, but I personally feel the new tech is superior.

Funny though, someone said to me today what’s up with the Propel. Just fancy a change.

Cheers again chaps

Pitch
    Unless you like sitting in the pain cave zone at 25mph plus for hours then why buy an aero focussed bike?
    Fair enough if you race and are a wattage monster but my money would be on a bike that’s nice to ride with some nice wheels that are still aero (35-45 deep) but still easy to ride in cross winds.

And my heavily biased opinion is those big brands offerings are very dull, like cars they all look the same and somebody else has one just like it.

There’s loads of great bikes out there, they just aren’t sold in Evans.

Grand Master
    Are we all in the TZUK cycling club on Strava too?
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Anyone use tubulars? I ask as i have a spare set i wont use
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Just joined.

Pitch

Master

Cheers again chaps

Pitch
    Factor bikes in Norfolk might be a brand to consider / visit Pitch. As ridden (not very well) this season by Chris Froome!
    https://factorbikes.com/factor-bikes-uk/

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Canyon Aeroad. Best road bike I've ever ridden. Current British Cycling National Masters Road Race Champion & Criterium Champion on it. The Enve 7.8's make a lot of difference though. Almost feels like cheating.

Do like these bold logo and colourways on the canyon frames
    RIAC

Master
    Factor bikes in Norfolk might be a brand to consider / visit Pitch. As ridden (not very well) this season by Chris Froome!
    https://factorbikes.com/factor-bikes-uk/
    Alex Dowsett was highly impressed with his Factor...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did consider that but didn't want to give people any clues where a watch collector may live? It's bad enough I give them clues that I have bikes ...

I do use the privacy zones but as there are not many houses where I live it wouldn't be that hard to guess my house location.

I did consider that but didn't want to give people any clues where a watch collector may live? It's bad enough I give them clues that I have bikes ...

I do use the privacy zones but as there are not many houses where I live it wouldn't be that hard to guess my house location.
    Same reason I haven't joined the TZ group or my work group. Also the same reason I take screenshots of my pictures before uploading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Alex Dowsett was highly impressed with his Factor...

Ta for that but I do not have enough body parts to sell to fund....

Look lovely bikes though

Pitch

Rebuilt the P3C on the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Unless you like sitting in the pain cave zone at 25mph plus for hours then why buy an aero focussed bike?
    Fair enough if you race and are a wattage monster but my money would be on a bike that’s nice to ride with some nice wheels that are still aero (35-45 deep) but still easy to ride in cross winds.

And my heavily biased opinion is those big brands offerings are very dull, like cars they all look the same and somebody else has one just like it.

Agree++

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Anyone use tubulars? I ask as i have a spare set i wont use
    Yeah I still ride tubs on a couple of my bikes, conti comps on one & conti giros on another.
    What you selling?

The giant propel is a good bike, I had the advanced pro with ultegra DI2. I had issues with DI2 though as it would sometimes just not work for no reason (full charge), and then kick back into life a few miles further on. No obvious loose connections. Another friend had the 1st generation di2 and it never worked when it got wet.
    In the end I sold the propel and bought an xr4 with mechanical dura-ace.

Anyway sorry OP, but there's such a great choice out there, depends on your budget, disc or rim brakes, etc....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Perhaps that’s why I need to get on some more bikes. I can honestly say though I do not find my Propel painful or uncomfortable.

My rides are a mix of full on group rides or wifey bimbles, maybe two bikes would be the answer.

Cheers again all

Pitch

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    Yeah I still ride tubs on a couple of my bikes, conti comps on one & conti giros on another.
    What you selling?
    Have some Zipp 303 Firecrest I wont use
    RIAC

Ah, I thought you were selling tubulars rather than wheels. Sorry. I already have set of 404's and a set of bora's so not looking for wheels. 303's are nice though......
    Last edited by dulux; 24th March 2021 at 22:48. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    The view amongst pals is stick with the Propel and buy some nice wheels.......... Heck these puppies are worth a few quid!!!!!!!!!

Pitch

Master
    The view amongst pals is stick with the Propel and buy some nice wheels.......... Heck these puppies are worth a few quid!!!!!!!!!

Pitch
    That’s what I have done this spring. Its a good solution as money invested in wheels is said to be be one of the best upgrades on a bike. Plus you stick with frame and running gear you know. Now get back to specifying a bike for the missus :)

Steve

Master

Peloton Fans!

Apologies in advance if this has already been shared but it made me chuckle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jns9NHhzGeM

Master

Nice afternoon for it. A bit breezy.

Grand Master
    RIAC

Master
    I'm currently in the process of building up a new bike that will hopefully suit me a bit better than the hateful GT Grade I've been suffering on the last few years.

Funds are rather tight at the moment so it's becoming an exercise in trying to make the pennies go further. The frame is a planet X pro carbon disc which I bought from them for less than half price due to a tiny scratch. Got some racing 5 wheels which someone had removed unused from a new bike. Currently searching for good used disc groupset "bits" if anyone has anything hiding in a drawer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Master
    Good luck with it.

If you aren't on BikeRadar or other similar forums, they might also be good places to scour the SC equivalents. I would imagine the sort of bits you're after come up pretty often.

Have two bags coming today. Apidura bolt on top tube bag and a Rapha handlebar bag for longer journeys. Will be nice not carrying a load of stuff in my pockets anymore -- going to stop using the seat bag to get my light higher up and more visible.

Master
    I’m in the middle of a similar project.
    Well, I say “in the middle”, more like right at the start for about nine months now.
    Got a Saracen carbon frame off eBay and had the bright idea of stripping it back to carbon and lacquering it. Third try now and I’m almost there.
    (Top tip: don’t do this. Just don’t.)

Been sourcing parts for the rest of the build, some new in the sales, some eBay.

My goal is sub 8kg for sub £2.5k, with Sram Red AXS. Retail something like that would be ~£6-7k from what I can see, so I’ll be happy if I can achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Have two bags coming today. Apidura bolt on top tube bag and a Rapha handlebar bag for longer journeys. Will be nice not carrying a load of stuff in my pockets anymore -- going to stop using the seat bag to get my light higher up and more visible.
    Handlebar bags ftw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It looks great, I went for a similar finish on much of my frame, though it wasn't painted to start with. I can't imagine the patience needed to sand one down, fair play to you.

I've got a handlebar bag for longer journeys but also thinking of getting a top tube bag for inner tube, snacks and phone. Been stuffing these in my jersey and jacket pockets.

Master
    If you don't typically use the seat tube bottle holder, this is a good place to store food / tools etc. I have one of these (the thing on the left):
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-flow...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Grand Master
    Just been told that the delays in shipping are all but resolved so my 2021 and 2022! Bikes are arriving shortly, So will have a spare Tarmac SL4 and SL6 going spare in 56cm if anyone needs a ride.
    Oh and a Diverge which I have to say is a lot of fun
    RIAC

Not my exact bike but worst case I'm going to get something small which fits in a bottle cage and pop it down there - like the Lezeyne or Vittoria options. I'm trying not to due to dirt and grime but can't see what I'd ever use that spot for and doubt I'll want two bags on all the time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just been told that the delays in shipping are all but resolved so my 2021 and 2022! Bikes are arriving shortly, So will have a spare Tarmac SL4 and SL6 going spare in 56cm if anyone needs a ride.
    Oh and a Diverge which I have to say is a lot of fun
    I can't believe how many bikes you seem to go through; have you got connections with Specalized?

Grand Master
    I can't believe how many bikes you seem to go through; have you got connections with Specalized?
    Yes and a good sponsor, to be fair I also cant resist a bargain if anyone is selling
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Have you seen the new Levo ? They are knocking it out the park now with the electrics
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Not my exact bike but worst case I'm going to get something small which fits in a bottle cage and pop it down there - like the Lezeyne or Vittoria options. I'm trying not to due to dirt and grime but can't see what I'd ever use that spot for and doubt I'll want two bags on all the time.

I tend to use those under BB cage mounts with a adapted water bottle packed with spare tube and tool kit or a fuel bottle if I’m adventure / gravel riding overnight
    RIAC

After a 7 week wait for Mavic to ship a replacement rim (old one had cracked), I am able to use my eBay purchase.

Already done 80 miles in a few days and it is an absolute pleasure to ride compared to a Giant Hybrid i've been using for the last couple of years.

Master
    If you don't typically use the seat tube bottle holder, this is a good place to store food / tools etc. I have one of these (the thing on the left):
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-flow...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Ive just started using one of the above designs , but not for tools I pack a lightweight showerproof top and spare energy bar. In the summer on the longer rides when I need two bottles, I shouldn’t need a showerproof

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    After a 7 week wait for Mavic to ship a replacement rim (old one had cracked), I am able to use my eBay purchase.

Already done 80 miles in a few days and it is an absolute pleasure to ride compared to a Giant Hybrid i've been using for the last couple of years.

Another good looker but you can so see the similarities as they are all made in the same grid square.
    Such a shame we dont have a UK manufacturing plant for frames as bespoke (custom) builds would be a real winner in the market rather than having to have the manufacturers designs. I know this exists with top end frames but seeing it trickle down would be amazing albeit not great for the main manufacturers profits as often when you look at component parts of a bike you realise where the margins are
    RIAC

Craftsman
    A win and a lose at the local bike shop this morning - well not quite local, its a 45 minute drive but they are good guys so I don't mind the trip.

Anyway, my out of true rear wheel was fixed in 5 minutes. WIN :-)
    But the left DI2 shifter which died during an e-tube upgrade is completely karked. LOSE :-(
    Although I've replaced these shifters I'm still pissed because this was part of a trickle down project to fit my winter bike with DI2

Master
    I am so glad that you do not ride 54's....