closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,550 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I know from many nipped tubes!

Steve
    No nipped tubes with tubeless ...

Handbuilts. Quality hubs (DT Hope etc) and decent rims. Listen to your wheelbuilders advice, there a few less than stellar rim/hubs out there (like the new mavic open pro made of cheese and a very thin brake track)
    I use a chap local to me who all my riding mates use called arkane wheelworks, he uses hubs a step up from bitex/novatec as well as the usual king, DT, Hope etc. Built a really nice set of light bicycle rims on his hubs that work out a bit cheaper than hunt and better hubs.

Avoid anything that needs special spokes or fancy nipples that are hard to get hold of and stupidly expensive.

As for comfort I would maybe steer clear of anything really deep and carbon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    No nipped tubes with tubeless ...
    Jury is out on tubless. One of the lads I ride with turned up covered in sealant. He picked up a sidewall cut and the tyre sprayed him. He couldnt get the valve out and had to phone home for assistance. I know where I am with a tube, in fact I repaired one just last week !!!

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Handbuilts. Quality hubs (DT Hope etc) and decent rims. Listen to your wheelbuilders advice, there a few less than stellar rim/hubs out there (like the new mavic open pro made of cheese and a very thin brake track)
    I use a chap local to me who all my riding mates use called arkane wheelworks, he uses hubs a step up from bitex/novatec as well as the usual king, DT, Hope etc. Built a really nice set of light bicycle rims on his hubs that work out a bit cheaper than hunt and better hubs.

Avoid anything that needs special spokes or fancy nipples that are hard to get hold of and stupidly expensive.

As for comfort I would maybe steer clear of anything really deep and carbon.
    The Spinergy Z lights I saw earlier today are a PBA textile spoke. I remember about 10 years ago when these were first released SPOX or similar in the mtb scene. The kevlar stretched / relaxed and the wheels were useless.

Point noted about carbon and depth

Steve

Grand Master

Spot of gravelling today
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jury is out on tubless.

Steve
    Not for me it’s not, done 50,000km on tubeless and would never go back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Spot of gravelling today
    How many bikes have you got Kerry?!?

Master
    Not for me it’s not, done 50,000km on tubeless and would never go back.
    Agreed. Switched 5 years ago and have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Agreed. Switched 5 years ago and have no complaints.

Me too, if you puncture you usually don't even realise. When my tyre wears out & needs to be replaced I usually find several 'clots' of latex lining the carcass of the old one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    How many bikes have you got Kerry?!?
    11 I Think!
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Any experience of Planet X bikes, in particular their gravel bikes?

Not a gravel bike, but I've had this one nearly five years, it's been a pleasure to ride:

Not that keen on the SRAM gears actually, I'd have had something else if I'd known what they were like. They work well enough, but I don't like the high tension / clacky feel of the shifters.

Craftsman
    Apologies to all the fit cyclists, but I am looking for advice on a potential E-bike purchase.

I have a road bike, but finding 35mile (fairly hilly) round trip commute a little too much on my road bike and considering an E-bike through cyclescheme.

Having done my preliminary research I am most attracted to the modmo Saigon+, however don’t think I’ll be able to get this through cyclescheme as they aren’t registered and charge in Euros. My concerns are the “start up” nature of MODMO and the the CVT gearing.

Ideally I’d like an upright riding position with a belt driven bike, with low maintenance gearing ?alfine, integrated lights and decent capacity battery as I’m 105kg and on occasion may do longer rides.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Vanmoof belt drive here

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-GB

Steve

Craftsman
    Vanmoof belt drive here

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-GB

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I had looked at VanMoof, but thought it was chain driven rather than belt drive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Thanks Steve. I had looked at VanMoof, but thought it was chain driven rather than belt drive

Apologies, you are right , totally enclosed chain drive, I thought it was a belt.

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrs T-7 rode to Bristol on the Bath-Bristol cycle path today & noticed an oncoming cyclist who's cycling style was different to anybody she had ever seen before. She said that his head looked like it was on rails. It was Bradley Wiggins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Apologies to all the fit cyclists, but I am looking for advice on a potential E-bike purchase.

I have a road bike, but finding 35mile (fairly hilly) round trip commute a little too much on my road bike and considering an E-bike through cyclescheme.
    35 hilly miles a day is quite a lot on top of a day’s work, even more so if the weather is grim!

A few things I’d consider if I was choosing again:

- What is the parking situation at work, secure? Quite a few reports of e-bikes and e-cargo bikes getting stolen.
    - Do you need to carry the bike up stairs at any stage? E-bikes can be hefty especially with a bit of luggage on.
    - Would a folding e-bike be useful?

The UK’s 15.4 mph cut-off point will probably annoy you from time to time. But it might not be an issue for you with the hills - on the flat I often wish it was just a bit higher, even 21mph would do.

The belt drive requirement limits the options somewhat. I hear that limits have been lifted on Cyclescheme - would it stretch to this? :-)
    https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/bikes/superdelite/

I quite like this:
    https://www.lekkerbikes.com/product/...iolo-ct-ebike/

Trek Allant:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/internatio...9561_f208c0b3d

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    35 hilly miles a day is quite a lot on top of a day’s work, even more so if the weather is grim!

A few things I’d consider if I was choosing again:

- What is the parking situation at work, secure? Quite a few reports of e-bikes and e-cargo bikes getting stolen.
    - Do you need to carry the bike up stairs at any stage? E-bikes can be hefty especially with a bit of luggage on.
    - Would a folding e-bike be useful?

The UK’s 15.4 mph cut-off point will probably annoy you from time to time. But it might not be an issue for you with the hills - on the flat I often wish it was just a bit higher, even 21mph would do.

The belt drive requirement limits the options somewhat. I hear that limits have been lifted on Cyclescheme - would it stretch to this? :-)
    https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/bikes/superdelite/

I quite like this:
    https://www.lekkerbikes.com/product/...iolo-ct-ebike/

Trek Allant:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/internatio...9561_f208c0b3d
    Thanks Si,
    Really helpful post. I wasn’t aware of the Amsterdam bike which may well fit the bill perfectly, I’ll do a little more research on that.

Master

Tubless Newbie

So as allways sound advice from the forum has resulted in a new wheelset from Borg and following derision on my “ jury’s out “ for tubeless , plus the confidence expressed here, I have gone for tubless too.

My question now is what do folk carry for puncture repair whilst out and about. I carry a stop n go on the motorcycle eg rats tails plugs a reamer and a portable compressor.

Borg supply a pack of worms/ rats tails, but will a conventional frame mounted mini pump reinflate the tyre. I have read contradictory views on C02 compatibility and lastly “ no point is carrying a spare tube as you will never get the tubeless valve core out”

Confused , and......the wheels haven’t even arrived yet.

Steve

So as allways sound advice from the forum has resulted in a new wheelset from Borg and following derision on my “ jury’s out “ for tubeless , plus the confidence expressed here, I have gone for tubless too.

My question now is what do folk carry for puncture repair whilst out and about. I carry a stop n go on the motorcycle eg rats tails plugs a reamer and a portable compressor.

Borg supply a pack of worms/ rats tails, but will a conventional frame mounted mini pump reinflate the tyre. I have read contradictory views on C02 compatibility and lastly “ no point is carrying a spare tube as you will never get the tubeless valve core out”

Steve

If you've got a puncture that the sealant won't seal then sometimes an anchovy (one of those tubeless repair plug things) will and you should be able to reinflate with a normal pump - you only really need a compressor or suchlike to seat the tire to begin with. Once it's on you can add sealant through the valve. Just don't try and take the tyre off and break the seal.

If the puncture can't be fixed with sealant or a plug then you should just be able to stick a new tube in until you get home. Take the tyre off (is it often a bit of a b1tch to remove), then take the whole tubeless valve out and replace with a tube. Unless I'm missing something? Most of my experience has been with running tubeless on a mountain bike. It can be a bit messy if you've got a load of sealant sloshing about but it'll get you home.
    Last edited by Meesterbond; 18th March 2021 at 10:07.

Master
    Thanks for that, I guess as with most things , once I have a puncture that doesnt seal, I will learn and adapt.

Steve

Thanks for that, I guess as with most things , once I have a puncture that doesnt seal, I will learn and adapt.

Steve
    What sort of handlebars do you have - if they can accomodate it get one of these https://www.rutlandcycling.com/acces...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

p.s other companies sell similar bits of kit.

Master

Steve
    Spare tube, couple of CO2 cartridges and inflator and tyre levers. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to remove the valve core, they're only held in by the retaining ring on the outside of the valve. Can fit all of the above easily into an under seat bag. Like has been said it might be a bit messy to fit the tube but it will get you home👍

Master
    New max speed for me today😁

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    New max speed for me today
    Wow, that's going some, must have been a good descent?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    What sort of handlebars do you have - if they can accomodate it get one of these https://www.rutlandcycling.com/acces...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

p.s other companies sell similar bits of kit.
    Good call , the kit the Cycleclinic sells with my tyres looks just like that. I have a seat pack ( topeak) allready with my two tubes and small tool roll.

Have to say the magpie / shiny things side of my brain likes that Muc Off bit of kit though!!
    Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 18th March 2021 at 16:45.

Never spare the horses for the love of cycling.

Someone could be having a very nice summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice Very Nice

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Wow, that's going some, must have been a good descent?
    Yeah, was pretty steep😁

Master
    Blog Entries

Steve
    I use these with a CO2 inflator. I also carry a spare tube just in case.

http://www.dynaplug.com/racer.html

Grand Master
    Mind a Co2 inflator is to get you home. Always try and deflate and reinflate traditionally when home.
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Road biking and tyre width, I keep reading the lean toward wider tyres on modern bikes but can't work out what that actually means? I'm currently running 25mm tyres, but with wide tyres are we talking 28mm, 30mm, more? At what point do you lose any benefit the wider you go?

Master
    Road biking and tyre width, I keep reading the lean toward wider tyres on modern bikes but can't work out what that actually means? I'm currently running 25mm tyres, but with wide tyres are we talking 28mm, 30mm, more? At what point do you lose any benefit the wider you go?
    I would suggest 28 mm is probably the widest you would go on a a road bike. However rim design can make a difference. The current move towards deeper wider internal rims mean for example a 25 will present to the road as a 28mm.

I run 28 mm Contis on my gravel bike GP 4 seasons and 25 mm Contis GP5000’s on my road bike. I dont feel the wider tyres roll faster.
    Just my views though.

Grand Master
    Wider are a little more comfortable and possibly very slightly slower but you aren’t winning races you are enjoying the tarmac and thats best done on 25mm and above really
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Thanks both.

Master
    Thanks both.
    Just to add to what Kerry said, prior to running 28’s on my gravel bike , it came with 35 mm tyres. When I changed from 35 to 28 I noticed the difference both in rolling resistance and comfort. The 35’s were Clement Explor’s which have nobble on the side walls but a semi continuous middle rib.

The 28’s were faster but the shock absorbing effect of 35’s on our pot holed roads was sorely missed ( literally on my backside):)

Steve

Nice to see such an active cycling thread on here. I've managed to get a Brompton for delivery this week or next so I'm looking forward to contributing a bit. My plan is primarily to make my commute faster a little more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    Nice to see such an active cycling thread on here. I've managed to get a Brompton for delivery this week or next so I'm looking forward to contributing a bit. My plan is primarily to make my commute faster a little more fun.
    Bromptons are like old land rovers, fundamentally flawed and compromised but great at the same time, mine has been a lifesaver in lockdown going between mine and my partners flat. terrible brakes and sometimes had a bit of a tank slapper speed wobble but i’ll never get rid of mine.
    does make me appreciate jumping on the road bike which is like a rocket in comparison.

Blog Entries
    With no holidays this year by the looks the boss has given me the green light to start looking for a couple of new bikes

Looking like I could land her a Di2 Liv Envie with SLR’s but boy I don’t know where to start. Bumping between Cevelo, SWorks, Pinarello or another Propel.

This is current

Pitch

Master
    Anything specific you are after from your new bike? Hard to suggest anything otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Living in Suffolk big climbs are not a plenty and I really like the aero look, so aero is a big box ticker.

I like the look of the Specialized and S Works Venge there are a couple of nice ones on EBay £2,500 and £3,000.

My Propel has 105, would Ultegra be a nice step up or in for a penny and go Di2.

Cervelo and Pinarello both offer aero but seem to be quite a bit more than Specialized and Giant.

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Pitch

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Living in Suffolk big climbs are not a plenty and I really like the aero look, so aero is a big box ticker.

I like the look of the Specialized and S Works Venge there are a couple of nice ones on EBay £2,500 and £3,000.

My Propel has 105, would Ultegra be a nice step up or in for a penny and go Di2.

Cervelo and Pinarello both offer aero but seem to be quite a bit more than Specialized and Giant.

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Pitch
    Aero looks good, goes fast, not fun to ride for mile after mile, day after day
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Aero looks good, goes fast, not fun to ride for mile after mile, day after day
    Up till now my rides have been up to 50 miles, maybe a few more this year but no touring as such. I’m a runner, so trainers over tyres everyday but I am really enjoying cycling, it’s becoming more than just a cross training tool.

So am I right to be focused on aeros. Questions questions.....

Cheers chaps

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Up till now my rides have been up to 50 miles, maybe a few more this year but no touring as such. I’m a runner, so trainers over tyres everyday but I am really enjoying cycling, it’s becoming more than just a cross training tool.

Cheers chaps

Pitch
    Di2 over mechanical every time. Discs over rims. Wide rims/tyres make a big difference.

Craftsman
    Consider endurance type bicycles...Titanium is considered comfortable, but a wee bit expensive.. Giant Defy is excellent.

Master
    Blog Entries

Cheers chaps

Pitch
    Canyon Aeroad. Best road bike I've ever ridden. Current British Cycling National Masters Road Race Champion & Criterium Champion on it. The Enve 7.8's make a lot of difference though. Almost feels like cheating.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Canyon Aeroad. Best road bike I've ever ridden. Current British Cycling National Masters Road Race Champion & Criterium Champion on it. The Enve 7.8's make a lot of difference though. Almost feels like cheating.
    Isn't there a 'Do not ride' notice on the current Aeroad?

Master
    I would argue that (presumably) a summer bike in Suffolk would be exactly the sort of scenario where discs are absolutely not needed. But getting into this becomes pretty much a religious argument these days, and in any case I believe it's hard to find models from the brands you mention without discs. So you're probably stuck unless you go custom carbon. There are some wonderful small makers if you are interested but you would have to know what you want from a frame unless you can get to one of the exotic bike shops that can get you fitted up.

At the prices you are likely to be paying I think I'd be wanting to test ride as many options as possible or, at the very least, if your Propel fits you well, go for a frame that has similar stack and reach. An endurance frame that doesn't fit you will be more uncomfortable than an aero frame that does.

I can't comment on electronic gears as I've never tried them but if you can afford them and can bear paying through the nose if you fall off and break the rear mech, then why not?

Master
    Shoot me down all day but Shimano like other cycle brands use trickle down development. So this years Dura Race is next years Ultegra and then 105. Di2 and Sram Force E tap break that chain by being one on their own. If you have the permission and the opportunity electronic shifting would be my choice all day long.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Isn't there a 'Do not ride' notice on the current Aeroad?
    Yes, it looks like a right mess. The above is the previous (and safe) model.

Grand Master
    Di2 over mechanical every time. Discs over rims. Wide rims/tyres make a big difference.
    Mechanical or electric, both do the job and both have advantages and disadvantages

Disc or rim, again both stop the bike and have pros and cons

Wider tyres are comfy and unless seconds count a good option

Bottom line is just ride, I’m as happy on a mechanical gravel as I am on a electric S-Works as I am on an old MTb or Ebike because once you ignore the hype, turn your legs and enjoy the ride
    RIAC