closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 84 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Personal experience of Rapha shorts is that they seem better for skinny boys.

Assos have strong and quality padding and the aftersales is superb with almost a lifetime guarantee on repairs if they fail.

Personally I wear Specialized Pro stuff as has the sweet spot of price, quality and comfort and they are incredibly durable as j have some that are years old and wont quit.

If anyone is getting into cycling I always have too many bikes so might give one up. Would be a 56cm and very nice!!!!!
    I'm pretty thin, but have quite muscular thighs. I can probably pinch about 5mm over my quads which probably means it's just skin. I've always been XL in Rapha shorts but my most recent ones are definitely looser on the leg than previous ones. It's a bit irritating when I'm going fast because I can feel air getting under the leg gripper. I suspect that they've started catering for the fatter rider, and I may have to downsize.

Master
    I know bibs are pretty personal, like saddles and shoes...but may I take this opportunity to recommend Etxeondo Orhi bibs. I find them super high quality and comfortable and have bought an embarrassing number of them as a result. Last time I looked Wiggle were offering them at a good price vs RRP.

I've tried many of the other big brands like Castelli, Assos etc. and none are a patch.

Grand Master
    Im wearing Specialized shorts thats refuse to blow out. Loved the Assos Uno as a modest pad but the mille used to be too much and it would bunch up.
    RIAC

Genuine question as a newbie to road biking*, where/how does one get ones sit bones measured?

*no need to sit down on a mountain bike, especially downhilling.

Blog Entries
    So I'm totally new to this, having only been riding since lockdown began in March but during this time I've been hitting the road every other day (give or take the odd day here and there) to put in between 15-20 miles a session and am absolutely loving it, surprised myself in fact how much I'm enjoying it. Weight is dropping off, feeling energetic and vibrant, life is great. Have no intention to change this routine as it fits my home life and work perfectly atm but as with all things I feel I need to upgrade my bike. I bought the below a couple of months ago to see if I'd take to road biking (was riding my mountain bike before) and its an entry level but now ready to splurge some cash on an upgrade (once work sort our cycle to work scheme).

So question is, when moving up the quality ranks how am I supposed to benefit? Obviously we are taking better gearing, better components, lighter frame etc but how does this feel in reality and what to expect? Obviously there is still a bike shortage so it's difficult to walk into a shop and try these things out atm. I presume after entry level there is a fairly rapid increase in quality vs cost then as you get to the higher ranks the increase in quality becomes incremental compared to cost? My budget is £3k and all riding is on road.

Excuse the garage mess, just ripped it apart at the weekend ready to be re-sorted.

image hosting services
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 15th July 2020 at 16:06.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    So I'm totally new to this, having only been riding since lockdown began in March but during this time I've been hitting the road every other day (give or take the odd day here and there) to put in between 15-20 miles a session and am absolutely loving it, surprised myself in fact how much I'm enjoying it. Weight is dropping off, feeling energetic and vibrant, life is great. Have no intention to change this routine as it fits my home life and work perfectly atm but as with all things I feel I need to upgrade my bike. I bought the below a couple of months ago to see if I'd take to road biking (was riding my mountain bike before) and its an entry level but now ready to splurge some cash on an upgrade (once work sort our cycle to work scheme).

So question is, when moving up the quality ranks how am I supposed to benefit? Obviously we are taking better gearing, better components, lighter frame etc but how does this feel in reality and what to expect? Obviously there is still a bike shortage so it's difficult to walk into a shop and try these things out atm. I presume after entry level there is a fairly rapid increase in quality vs cost then as you get to the higher ranks the increase in quality becomes incremental compared to cost? My budget is £3k and all riding is on road.

Excuse the garage mess, just ripped it apart at the weekend ready to be re-sorted.

Getting out on the bike is good for your mind, body and your soul. Glad you're getting the bug for it.

£3k should get you a very decent set-up. I know you say you cannot walk in to a bike shop right now and pick up a bike but try and go to a local independent bike shop and get some professional advice. In return for the good advice, spend some cash with them. Not 100% sure but a lot of 2021 bike will begin to be available from August/September so you shouldn't have an issue there, just a little wait maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by MattOmega View Post
    Getting out on the bike is good for your mind, body and your soul. Glad you're getting the bug for it.

£3k should get you a very decent set-up. I know you say you cannot walk in to a bike shop right now and pick up a bike but try and go to a local independent bike shop and get some professional advice. In return for the good advice, spend some cash with them. Not 100% sure but a lot of 2021 bike will begin to be available from August/September so you shouldn't have an issue there, just a little wait maybe.
    Look at a cannondale supersix evo, I have one and really rate it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOmega View Post

Agree with the above, ordinarily in Aug Sept the 2020 stock would be in the sale at typically 30% off. But with Covid the bike supply chain has been flattened. Turning to upgrades , my money would be after getting a good carbon frame is wheels. Good wheels can transform a bike and flatter a rider.

Lastly I dont know what size you are , but Kerry has a cracking Specialized for sale in SC that has some very tasty components.

Steve

Grand Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Agree with the above, ordinarily in Aug Sept the 2020 stock would be in the sale at typically 30% off. But with Covid the bike supply chain has been flattened. Turning to upgrades , my money would be after getting a good carbon frame is wheels. Good wheels can transform a bike and flatter a rider.

Lastly I dont know what size you are , but Kerry has a cracking Specialized for sale in SC that has some very tasty components.

Steve
    Thats gone now but there is a shortage and no doubt the industry will be a few months behind as its all made in Taiwan mostly anyway which has had a disruption but they will catch up quickly. It’s very easy to get sucked into the latest and greatest but my go to is a SL4 I still have as its just perfect in so many ways, I haven’t ridden the other 2 Newer bikes I have yet!!

Might need to take the bell off it as its a bit heavy
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 15th July 2020 at 16:57.
    RIAC

Grand Master

This doesn’t photograph well but once I add white bar tape will have that ‘less is more’ clean and clinical look to it.

If you love how they look you will want to get you leg over it!!!! Im sure you can relate to that
    RIAC

Check if you work has a cycle to work scheme. (You don’t have to actually use it to cycle to work ) . But you’ll get the bike pre tax - saving up to 42% dependent on your tax bracket!

image hosting services

I'm not too dissimilar to you. I've been a mountain biker at heart but had road bikes and fixies for commuting. However since having kids (two in the past 10 years), finding time to go mountain biking had become impossible, and turning 40 last year I set myself a goal of doing a triathalon.

In the past I've had a couple of Specialized Allez entry level aluminium road bikes and last year decided to get a Giant Defy Advanced Carbon. I love this bike and now I'm riding 50 milers twice week around the hills of North Yorkshire, getting PBs every ride.

The difference I've found are:

Disc brakes are amazing, I've always had them on mountain bikes but with long road levers the power they have is incredible. Last night I hit 50mph on a descent and there's no way I'd ever go back to rim brakes.

Carbon frame and seat post makes for a comfortable ride. I absolutely love the feel of this bike on tarmac.

Bolt through axel makes for a stiff bike, confidence inspiring downhill and good for climbing.

Tubeless tyres are ace. A couple of weeks ago I did a ride with 3 others, two riders with inner tubes had multiple punctures, the two of us with tubeless didn't have any. In fact I've not had a flat tyre since I got this bike last year.

The Defy is an Enduro bike meaning the position is a bit more upright than Giant's TCR race bike. The Enduro frame suits me perfectly, If I want to get aero I use the drops but most of the ride I'm on the hoods.

Gearing, there's not much difference in this area at all, on a clean groupset they all shift well. The more you spend the more weight you save, that's it unless you can get electronic shifting like eTap or Di2 within your budget.

£2899 gets you the Defy Advanced Pro 3 with Carbon Rims and a 105 groupset. Bike Radar 'Bike of the Year' and that'll take some beating at that price.

Master
    Giant are a solid choice as mentioned above.

But the thing that's most important is to make sure whatever you buy fits you. Hopefully, as you've been getting out and about a lot recently, you know what you like / dislike about your position (too cramped or stretched out / too low or high?). Working out the stack and reach of whatever you are after will be important to ensure that you look at frames / bikes that are in the range, though of course adjustments can be made with spacers or saddle setback. Sometimes these adjustments, though seemingly minor, can result in a trade-off that affects something else. For instance you buy a frame that's too big and have to alter the saddle setback and thus your position over the BB, or you need a shorter stem which means twitchy steering. There is loads of advice out there (e.g. bikeradar / weightweenies forums) so take the time to research and absorb some of the things that people get wrong. I have ordered a couple of custom frames and it took me several months of thinking before I was confident in what I was ordering.

And I'd also agree that it is crucial to get something you love the look of!
    Last edited by Bondurant; 15th July 2020 at 18:17.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, some great feedback. I'm 95% riding on the hoods so don't need an aggressive set up. Seating position is fine and comfortable but I have noticed over the last week I need to push myself back in the saddle so the bike is clearly a size too big for me (covid blind buying). I'll take a look at the Giant, it's not a make or model I had perused before so thanks for that.il I had my eye on something like this:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bi...cordions=1_0_0

Disc brakes & Di2 but possibly at the expense of decent wheels so maybe worth losing the Di2 for a better set of rims. Tell you what the choices and permutations are more than a little overwhelming, great sport!

Master
    That was actually my first thought had we not been in the current situation...buy a new set of wheels and go on holiday.

Blog Entries
    Ha, good point we'll made. However this is a watch forum where we often spend tens of thousands on watches that do no better job than a tenner quartz. First world problems I know.

Ha, good point we'll made. However this is a watch forum where we often spend tens of thousands on watches that do no better job than a tenner quartz. First world problems I know.
    Yep, another rabbit role to run down. The Canyon looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    haha indeed. I am a reformed BIS. I would have the best kit money could buy because I could and because I spent my entire childhood reading bike mags and thinking that I'd never be able to get one of the fancy bikes. Nowadays I just use mid range shimano for everything and avoid carbon. Works just as well, bit heavier but aren't we all these days.
    I agree. IMO as long as you're not a competitive cyclist, the regular alloy bike and mid-range shimano sets are good enough. In fact, the additional weight will probably help you to get stronger and burn more calories What's important is taking the bike out and riding it.

I invested in a £500 pinnacle (Evans' house brand) as a first roadbike a couple of years ago. It's still going strong and the only upgrades I've made have been on the pedals and saddle.

I do go through the bike mags and drool over those aero carbon bikes but don't we all... Just can't justify it when I live in London (higher theft risk) and don't race or go on sportives (mostly because of covid).

Master

Advice on a ladies E bike

So lets get this out , I think E bikes are the spawn of the devil, however........

My missus enjoys riding with me , but tends to get a bit tired at 15 to 20 miles Of EASY riding . She currently uses a rigid Marin MTB well appointed with XTR and Durace parts. However she has asked today about an E bike. I have lots of knowledge of my pals running Cube and Haibike E mountain bikes who incidentally have have lots of problems with the Bosch and Yamaha motors, so again my experience is coloured.

So has anyone out there positive experiences of ladies e bikes. My wife is petite her current bike is a 15” frame so Im finding I need a XS frame that not all e bikes do.

Thanks in advance

Steve

If we're talking about old steel frames...

Here's my Raleigh M-Trax Ti9000 from the early 90's and still going strong. It seems to be my go to bike despite having a Colnago EPS road bike in the shed next to it. It's a bit weighty but with modern running gear on it holds it own.

So lets get this out , I think E bikes are the spawn of the devil, however........

My missus enjoys riding with me , but tends to get a bit tired at 15 to 20 miles Of EASY riding . She currently uses a rigid Marin MTB well appointed with XTR and Durace parts. However she has asked today about an E bike. I have lots of knowledge of my pals running Cube and Haibike E mountain bikes who incidentally have have lots of problems with the Bosch and Yamaha motors, so again my experience is coloured.

So has anyone out there positive experiences of ladies e bikes. My wife is petite her current bike is a 15” frame so Im finding I need a XS frame that not all e bikes do.

Thanks in advance

Steve
    I agree with your statement above. I don't consider use of those contraptions as cycling, so IMHO you may as well buy your missus a Honda 50. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I agree with your statement above. I don't consider use of those contraptions as cycling, so IMHO you may as well buy your missus a Honda 50. ;-)
    We already have four motorcycles ranging from 125 to 800 but I dont fancy riding behind a derny!

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Many years ago I thought it would be damned good training for Mrs T-7 to motor pace me on her Honda C90. In the same way as riders sit behind the Derny in the Keirin on the track (see below). In retrospect I think I could have handled it if she'd had the Honda C50. I was blowing out of my arse trying to hang onto her wheel every time she made the slightest blip on the throttle :-/

Master
    Blog Entries
    We already have four motorcycles ranging from 125 to 800 but I dont fancy riding behind a derny!

Steve
    Haha, my first thought was the Derny as well Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    A Honda C90' maximum power output is about 7.5hp which is about 5600W.

Mrs T-7 did a ride with Sir Chris Hoy a few years ago (she works for a cycling video company) & he told her that he wouldn't be competing at any more Olympic Games because he couldn't hit 2000W any more & that meant he couldn't win gold. So the Honda C90 is putting out nearly 3 times that power. Clearly it weighs more & it's power to weight that counts. Nevertheless I would fancy my chances more at hanging on to Sir Chris Hoy than a Honda C90.

Mrs T7 = 65kg plus weight of Honda C90 (92kg) = 157kg. 5600W/157 = 35.7W/kg

Sir Chris Hoy = 92kg. Bike weight approx 7kg = 99kg 2000W/99kg = 20.2W/kg

Yep...no wonder I couldn't hang on

Thanks in advance

Steve
    I got my Wife a Liv Amit E+2 hybrid with front suspension in XS a few weeks ago and she loves it. Rides away from me up hills when we go out together. She mainly uses it to commute to work. It’s only a short journey so not good for the car, but very hilly hence getting electric. She’s already lost a few pounds and feels fitter.
    The bike is a 2019 so we got a reasonably good deal. It’s made by Giant which is reassuring.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I got my Wife a Liv Amit E+2 hybrid with front suspension in XS a few weeks ago and she loves it. Rides away from me up hills when we go out together. She mainly uses it to commute to work. It’s only a short journey so not good for the car, but very hilly hence getting electric. She’s already lost a few pounds and feels fitter.
    The bike is a 2019 so we got a reasonably good deal. It’s made by Giant which is reassuring.

Thanks Andy Ill look into the Liv, they do a nice range of conventional road bikes too.

What i suspect will be my last saddle arrived this week. I'm 58

a veritable Trigger's broom, every part replaceable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here is my indoor bike.

1984 Pinarello Montello – Cromovelato Aqua Blue with Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Groupset

More images here. https://www.redvelo.co.uk/vintage-pi...ntellos/blue/#

Last edited by Montello; 16th July 2020 at 21:19.

Hopefully a useful bike maintenance tip. I got fed up paying £10 a pop for a litre of water based degreaser from a bike shop or online shop, that was not even concentrated.

Then I stumbled on this;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It’s the same chemical (Alcohol ethoxylate) although more concentrated so needs to be diluted 4:1.

So, after dilution you get 20 litres for £9, as opposed to 1 litre for £10 in the bikes shops.

Now there’s no excuse to keep the chain clean.

Edit - just noticed in the screwfix comments section that some reviewers dilute it 10 to 1 for bikes. In that case you get 200 litres for £9 once diluted, probably enough to last you your whole cycling career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 16th July 2020 at 22:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Hopefully a useful bike maintenance tip. I got fed up paying £10 a pop for a litre of water based degreaser from a bike shop or online shop, that was not even concentrated.

Then I stumbled on this;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It’s the same chemical (Alcohol ethoxylate) although more concentrated so needs to be diluted 4:1.

So, after dilution you get 20 litres for £9, as opposed to 1 litre for £10 in the bikes shops.

Now there’s no excuse to keep the chain clean.

Edit - just noticed in the screwfix comments section that some reviewers dilute it 10 to 1 for bikes. In that case you get 200 litres for £9 once diluted, probably enough to last you your whole cycling career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Got that a couple of yrs ago for the same reasons. Gets grease out of cycling kit if you put the liquid in a spray bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Got that a couple of yrs ago for the same reasons. Gets grease out of cycling kit if you put the liquid in a spray bottle.
    You have to be careful with it neat. I spilled some on my wooden worktop and within a few mins it had stripped the varnish off back to the bare wood.

Just shows you how much mark-up there is in some bike consumables.

Master

Steve
    My wife used to derny pacing at the velodrome. God she was fast. She could get to 50kph and it was only the academy riders and elites (all men) left after she dropped off. Found myself struggling on the commute into mcr one day. She was at 30mph and going faster and I was wondering how then realised her track sessions were the reason. She was a potential talent missed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Here is my indoor bike.

1984 Pinarello Montello – Cromovelato Aqua Blue with Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Groupset

An absolute beauty

Blog Entries
    Took the plunge.

2017 Giant Propel Pro2.

Lovin it, pretty swift

Pitch

Grand Master
    Good choice. The new 105 is really superb and such great value for money. Enjoy the miles and get in the TZ cycling club
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Good choice. The new 105 is really superb and such great value for money. Enjoy the miles and get in the TZ cycling club
    Is there a club on Strava?

Master
    I find this very comfortable . . .

On my MTB I've always used a Selle Italia Flite, the basic model.
    that looks familiar!

The Rose that you recommended a few years back has finally started to see some mileage this year due to lockdown; initially rode it twice and decided i'd stick to football :)

Have a friend who cycles regularly and he seemed to get the right balance of pushing my limits without killing me & now do regular (2-3 times a week) 40-65km rides. If I lived somewhere flatter i'd go further but we average 100m climb for every 10km, so its quite hard work for a novice, middle aged, 105kg bloke with a 35 year absence from cycling.

even go out with a local club each week, so a proper bike w****r now!

Thanks in advance

Steve
    Might be worth having a look at the VanMoof X3.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    An absolute beauty
    Cheers. Took some time to gather the parts for the build.

Too nice to ride but it does occasionally get an outing.

Master
    New wheels, tires and saddle all fitted ready for a ride out tonight to Old Harry and along the cliffs

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    New wheels, tires and saddle all fitted ready for a ride out tonight to Old Harry and along the cliffs
    That looks seriously good. I'm waiting on a Cervelo Smartpak 400a for some small and bolted on top tube storage, researching tyres too. Finding the stock tyres good so far just don't want any punctures.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post

Nice.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That looks seriously good. I'm waiting on a Cervelo Smartpak 400a for some small and bolted on top tube storage, researching tyres too. Finding the stock tyres good so far just don't want any punctures.

I've taken the plunge and gone tubeless with some Rene Herse tyres.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is there a club on Strava?
    Yes

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Here is my indoor bike.

Work of art but I wouldn't use it on a turbo myself. I'd be worried about my salty sweat rotting the frame. That's what is happening big time to my turbo bike

Craftsman
    I guess I'm in the club now, too. There are some lovely bikes in this thread!

I bought the Litespeed Archon that was in the classifieds a while ago, and have spent a bit of time servicing and tweaking it. It got slightly doofed courtesy of Parcelfarce so made sense to everything in one go, new cables, bottom bracket, bar tape (still not convinced I ordered the right colour), saddle, brake blocks (twice) stem original was way too long, chain and seatpost. And wheels. And a matching bottle cage.

I've not ridden it a huge amount yet, struggled to find the time last few weeks but hoping to really get some miles on it over the weekend and into next week.

Grand Master

Fresh bartape. Not practical but who cares
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Work of art but I wouldn't use it on a turbo myself. I'd be worried about my salty sweat rotting the frame. That's what is happening big time to my turbo bike
    When I say indoor bike I mean on display in the dining room. I’d never put that on a turbo. 😳

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    I guess I'm in the club now, too. There are some lovely bikes in this thread!

I bought the Litespeed Archon that was in the classifieds a while ago, and have spent a bit of time servicing and tweaking it. It got slightly doofed courtesy of Parcelfarce so made sense to everything in one go, new cables, bottom bracket, bar tape (still not convinced I ordered the right colour), saddle, brake blocks (twice) stem original was way too long, chain and seatpost. And wheels. And a matching bottle cage.

I've not ridden it a huge amount yet, struggled to find the time last few weeks but hoping to really get some miles on it over the weekend and into next week.

Sounds like Triggers broom! , Ti frameset Durace chainset, that will be a smooth ride and last you forever.