closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 36 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Jealous! I've ordered and paid for mine but the shop won't get then in until the end of June so I have to wait. What do you think of it? Is the 1x ok? Honestly can't wait.
    It has been superb so far. No problems with the 1x, has been more than enough. Great on the gravel and no slouch on the road either. Saddle definitely needs changing though 🤣

After a very tough MB / trail ride yesterday of only 19 miles but with some stiff climbs (up to 26%) my other mate took me on a 32.6 mile ride today. Thankfully not too many steep climbs, but my legs are very tired now.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    It has been superb so far. No problems with the 1x, has been more than enough. Great on the gravel and no slouch on the road either. Saddle definitely needs changing though 🤣
    Fizik seem to be what are the cool kids are buying. I'll probably try and get a seat fitting at some point then before ordering one. I've gone for the same colour as you and after seeing your real life pic I'm even more excited and slightly relieved. Have gone for some upgraded flat pedals though, not quite ready for clipping in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Fizik seem to be what are the cool kids are buying. I'll probably try and get a seat fitting at some point then before ordering one. I've gone for the same colour as you and after seeing your real life pic I'm even more excited and slightly relieved. Have gone for some upgraded flat pedals though, not quite ready for clipping in.
    A few years back I rode John O Groats to Lands End on a Specialized Romin saddle without any discomfort so will be looking to buy one of those again.

The colour is great and not as white as I thought it would be, more grey, here's another real life shot:

Last edited by Binsull; 1st June 2020 at 07:37.

Master
    I bought my first road bike last week. Rode it home from the shop and spent the whole weekend on my mountain bike instead around Delamere. Great place!

Heres a pic of my road bike in the office and my mates mountain bike at the lake.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Nice Boardman, but sort those bars out!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I bought my first road bike last week. Rode it home from the shop and spent the whole weekend on my mountain bike instead around Delamere. Great place!

Heres a pic of my road bike in the office and my mates mountain bike at the lake.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Had a lovely little trip out on my Trek this morning around sunny rural Essex.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    A few years back I rode John O Groats to Lands End on a Specialized Romin saddle without any discomfort so will be looking to buy one of those again.

The colour is great and not as white as I thought it would be, more grey, here's another real life shot:
    Lovely shots and seriously keen to get mine now. Only another 4 weeks. In the meantime I did 25 miles yesterday on my 2007 Hardrock so hoping by the time the Diverge comes I'll be able to double that. Seeing some of the distances people do on Strava is insane to me. Land's End to John O Groats must have been some trip. Romin looks to have good reviews so thank you for the tip.

First ride with my new wahoo element bolt, previously I have used garmin running watches but found it much easier to navigate with

And I will obviously be investing in a power meter next to really make it worthwhile!!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    First ride with my new wahoo element bolt, previously I have used garmin running watches but found it much easier to navigate with

And I will obviously be investing in a power meter next to really make it worthwhile!!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Im now about 1500 miles into Wahoo Elemnt bolt ownership and I cant fault it. It found a really old garmin HRm and installed it quickly. The customisation on the screens is brilliant . I also went for a Komoot mapping package for Wales and the turn by turn navigation knocks my old Garmin Edge 200 “ breadcrumb trail” into a cocked hat

Went for a Selle Italia Novus boost carbonio SuperFlow. Meant to the very comfortable, was well reduced on wiggle, wanted the basic model but everyone is sold out and all the mid range ones were the same as the carbonio. Will report back after using it for a few weeks.

On another note I am after a 2nd band MTB if anyone has anything for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Don't know if anyone has posted this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGgsQTIF9iY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    Nice Boardman, but sort those bars out!!!

I'm so new to this I haven't got a clue what's wrong with them! Are they not cool ones? Do I need new ones?

I do want to make it look like this though.

I need to get SPD pedals and stuff too don't I?

I rode it to and from work today and still can't get my head around how quick it is.
    It just feels like it transfers my effort to forward motion so well.

Mountain bikes are so pedestrian in comparison.

I think he means your bars are pointing way too up and need to be tilted down a bit

Master
    I didn't even know that was a thing! Or indeed how to change it. I will look into it.

I'm a big oversized lump on a bike anyway probs better I don't look even more of a noob

Master
    I don't think it is...apart from anything you won't be able to use the drops at that angle. If you want the handlebars higher you raise the stem height.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I don't think it is...apart from anything you won't be able to use the drops at that angle. If you want the handlebars higher you raise the stem height.
    It certainly looks very odd like that and using the drops could be dangerous. It's possible that it's the only way the owner could get a comfortable position on it. Or maybe they've just moved. If you're on the drops and the stem bolts aren't done up tight enough & you hit a pothole they can end up like that. Changing the angle is extremely simple to do. There doesn't look to be a lot of room for raising the stem as there's only one thin spacer left on top. Most of the spacers are already under the stem. The stem looks quite long though, (maybe 120 or 130mm?) so a shorter stem might help. Bikes do look more pro with a long stem though ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    yeah, my stem is already maxed out...its only a temp thing until my neck gets used to it, and I can use the drops just fine
    I cracked the frame on my Canyon in April and had to ride my old road bike for a month. This bike is shorter and higher at the front end than my Canyon with no scope for lowering it any further unless I can get hold of a downward angle stem (I could get a track stem fitted but figured that I'd make do for a month) So I was sat more upright for a month. All my old neck pains returned. Now that I've got the Canyon back complete with a new frame, and am much more stretched out and lower at the front I feel much more comfortable again.

Good excuse for a photo :-)

I had the integrated bar/stem changed as well. Canyon didn't do quite what I asked when I requested that the brake levers/shifters be put on in exactly the same position as I had before. They put them on angling up more. I don't like it like this & will have to move them. It doesn't feel quite right.

It felt better on the red one:

Last edited by trident-7; 3rd June 2020 at 11:30.

Master
    Just thought. You can get adjustable angle stems as well, which are inexpensive. So you can get the handlebars in the right position and still have them higher up, even if the stem itself can't move up.

E.g. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-adjustable-road-stem/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Just thought. You can get adjustable angle stems as well, which are inexpensive. So you can get the handlebars in the right position and still have them higher up, even if the stem itself can't move up.

E.g. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-adjustable-road-stem/
    Those can be really useful, especially if you're playing around with positions. I used to have a Look Ergostem which did similar. I did look at that one but I need something longer @ 130 or 140mm

Master
    My bars arent like that for any reason other than they came like that.

I've no idea what is comfortable or not at the moment as I haven't ridden more than a 10km in one go on it.

When I go for a long ride will take a little multitool out so I can mess with the adjustment.

Any recommendations on SPD pedals and shoes for a beginner?

Master

I've no idea what is comfortable or not at the moment as I haven't ridden more than a 10km in one go on it.

When I go for a long ride will take a little multitool out so I can mess with the adjustment.

If you look at the photo of your bike and the library / stock photo you can see your bars are tilted back. There are i usually four bolts on the front of the stem. Loosen them in an X manner eg top left bottom right. Then rotate your bars so the flat bits at the bottom are horizontal with the ground.

Re shoes SPD’s I would suggest you get some miles in first, say after a couple of 30 km rides to get you used to the bike. If you are happy with your position, then consider the combination SPD road pedals so you can use different shoes.

Look for “ touring “ shoes rather than pure road shoes as road shoes are VERY rigid. When covid is quieter pop into a bike shop and try a few pairs.

I took a different approach, I'd never road cycled before and when I got my first roadie, bought some entry level shimano spd pedals and shoes and got stuck in!

Yes the shoes are stiff, but that's the whole point - maximise power transfer.

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

A little tip when buying shoes.... no shop has a really good selection so go onto Wiggle or Sigma or similar, order all the ones you like the look of in the sizes you think you'd fit and try them on in the comfort of your own home. I think my last shoe order from Wiggle was about £1600, kept the pair I liked, sent the rest back and got the refund before the credit card bill was made up.

I think Wiggle returns now cost £2 to send back so well worth it to get the choice. Each make of shoe comes up slightly different and there's nothing worse than shoes that pinch so it's worth trying several brands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    I'm just using my mtb pedals, skate shoes, camelback, peaked lid and baggy shorts. Get some bemused looks buzzing past the MAMILs
    There you go fixed it for you :)

Steve

Journeyman
    Sorry - I wasn't very clear As others pointed out, the bars are tilted upwards which can put more pressure on your wrists.
    If you have a bike fit, the general aim is to have the bottom of the drops parallel with the ground and the tops of the hoods at about a 5 degree angle upwards. This is usually the start point and then it can be adjusted for personal preference.

On spds, shimano m520 are silly cheap and absolutely bombproof. Be aware though - at some point, usually at a busy set of traffic lights, you will forget that you're clipped in, try to put a foot down and very slowly keel over in front of everyone...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry - I wasn't very clear As others pointed out, the bars are tilted upwards which can put more pressure on your wrists.
    If you have a bike fit, the general aim is to have the bottom of the drops parallel with the ground and the tops of the hoods at about a 5 degree angle upwards. This is usually the start point and then it can be adjusted for personal preference.

On spds, shimano m520 are silly cheap and absolutely bombproof. Be aware though - at some point, usually at a busy set of traffic lights, you will forget that you're clipped in, try to put a foot down and very slowly keel over in front of everyone...

I almost never unclip at traffic lights. I filter through to the front and do a track stand. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the lights to change & I often think that the car driver behind is almost willing me to put my foot down.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I almost never unclip at traffic lights. I filter through to the front and do a track stand. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the lights to change & I often think that the car driver behind is almost willing me to put my foot down.
    I tend to do the same, though one instance last week was very close to a rather more embarassing outcome than a foot down. It wasn't pretty and I reckon the driver behind probably had a giggle at my antics assuming they weren't raging at being held up for a couple of seconds.

Journeyman
    @bigweb - as a beginner, I'd suggest learning track stands well away from other humans and probably on a soft surface

Master
    Blog Entries
    @bigweb - as a beginner, I'd suggest learning track stands well away from other humans and probably on a soft surface

Sound advice Martin.

Rule 1: Practice away from traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0VnQJF_WKQ

An excellent Covid cycling message to both new and experienced cyclists from Phil Gaimon... Well worth a few minutes of your time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMdcC63Z0s

Master
    Great news - looks like Time Trials will be starting early July, and we already have one scheduled for 9th July! So still 4 club TTs this season, plus some West London Combine ones. Doesn't look as though new ones will be able to be added.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Great news - looks like Time Trials will be starting early July, and we already have one scheduled for 9th July! So still 4 club TTs this season, plus some West London Combine ones. Doesn't look as though new ones will be able to be added.
    Excellent news. It's a sport already designed for social distancing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Excellent news. It's a sport already designed for social distancing
    Absolutely. No pushing off, starter in a car, ditto for finish timekeeper. No results at the finish, so go home as ride is over, only arrive in time to do your own warm up then ready to set off.

Master
    I was wondering about the start, makes sense. No news from my club yet, fingers crossed they will start too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bugger - a 3 week wait for my Dolan Tuono SL to be built because they're selling so many bikes at the moment...

Can anyone recommend a good wheel-builder in the UK ? I've got a pair of Dura-Ace hubs that I want laced to some 40mm+ carbon hoops... the original C24 rim brake tracks are getting a bit thin after 10,000 miles and aero wheels will look much better on the new bike.

I have my old Dutch bike (another sit-up-and-beg, Romein brand) which is fabulous but only have 3 speeds in the rear wheel hub.
    Can I get it replaced by a 7 speeds one?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Hub width is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Hub width is a good place to start.
    The space in the frame is just short of 110 mm. The hub itself is much narrower, at 79 mm with the existing wheel, and that includes a brake.

Shimano do various Nexus/alfine geared hubs just needs the right one and the correct shifter. A decent bike shop should be able to sort you out but no idea if one exists in Ashford (I’m ex local) SJS cycles do lots of odd touring and brompton stuff and are quite helpful so they may be able to tell you what will be required and sell it to you for a reasonable price but you are probably looking at a new wheel build as the current spikes are unlikely to be the correct length and the rim may not have the right amount of hole drilling’s.

May not be economical to do the conversion.

Try here first

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/rear-hubs

And look at the spec sheets

+1 what MrSmith said, especially regarding SJS Cycles.

A bike with too few gears may be an unused bike!
    Last edited by Templogin; 10th June 2020 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Shimano do various Nexus/alfine geared hubs just needs the right one and the correct shifter. A decent bike shop should be able to sort you out but no idea if one exists in Ashford (I’m ex local) SJS cycles do lots of odd touring and brompton stuff and are quite helpful so they may be able to tell you what will be required and sell it to you for a reasonable price but you are probably looking at a new wheel build as the current spikes are unlikely to be the correct length and the rim may not have the right amount of hole drilling’s.

May not be economical to do the conversion.
    Thanks for this.
    Following Templogin's question I started to look at wheel builders in Kent and found one in Ramsgate, Harry Rowland. I'll give him a call.
    As to being uneconomical, I am sure you are correct. But I like the old thing.

And if Mrs SJ was to read the above, no, it's not about you!

I am trying to recall the name of a bike brand, but I just can’t bring it to mind.

They are large bikes of probably west European manufacture. The frame is not a typical diamond frame. The frame tensions when a rider sits on the hammock-like Saddle.

Please put me out of my misery!

I am trying to recall the name of a bike brand, but I just can’t bring it to mind.

They are large bikes of probably west European manufacture. The frame is not a typical diamond frame. The frame tensions when a rider sits on the hammock-like Saddle.

Pedersen ?
    F.T.F.A.

Slingshot?
    Or Softride?
    Last edited by dulux; 10th June 2020 at 13:58.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Pedersen ?
    I think it's Pedersen too.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, sounds like the Dursley Pedersen.

Thank you for that guys. Pedersen is what I was looking for.

Pedersen (sp?)

Sorry, went out and hadn’t refreshed the page before posting
    Last edited by MrSmith; 10th June 2020 at 15:44. Reason: Late to the party

Argh called the bike shop today to get my deposit refunded since they processed my bike to work voucher 2 weeks ago (had to pay a 50% deposit to secure an order 5 weeks ago). Asked them to check on the order and make sure we're all set for the end of the month. Nope, October. They're calling Specialized and then calling me back in the morning but I think they forgot to place the order and the initial batch of bikes has already sold. I really hope that's not what happened and I get a bike at the end of the month.