closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Better?
    Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Very nice
    Thanks.

Served me well on the way to Cannes, particularly on the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    I'd say the Triban as I think others on here have tried and liked; also FWIW I think the Alpha is trying a bit too much to be flash with the behind the fork aero brakes and paint job. I used to despair that lower end groupsets might be, like cheap alloys on cars, made out of cheese, but I have been proved wrong, as they seem relatively indestructible, and are now a lot better cosmetically. Also carbon forks usually give a more comfortable ride than alloy, so the Triban would score there.

I suppose there's a better chance of testing Halfords' customer service by taking the Alpha into the local branch if anything seems amiss, but on the other I'd think you wouldn't lose much when you came to upgrade from the Triban, and it would be easier to live with in the cred/snob stakes than a bike with a known humble place in the Halfords bike hierarchy .
    Wonderful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    I'd say the Triban as I think others on here have tried and liked; also FWIW I think the Alpha is trying a bit too much to be flash with the behind the fork aero brakes and paint job. I used to despair that lower end groupsets might be, like cheap alloys on cars, made out of cheese, but I have been proved wrong, as they seem relatively indestructible, and are now a lot better cosmetically. Also carbon forks usually give a more comfortable ride than alloy, so the Triban would score there.

I suppose there's a better chance of testing Halfords' customer service by taking the Alpha into the local branch if anything seems amiss, but on the other I'd think you wouldn't lose much when you came to upgrade from the Triban, and it would be easier to live with in the cred/snob stakes than a bike with a known humble place in the Halfords bike hierarchy .
    +1 the Triban. I know loads of blokes with thr Triban (various) models and they are pretty good. I dont know anything about the other...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Don't want to interrupt the flow of this thread (he says, doing precisely that) but if you were looking at a starter road bike for someone who is fit but has no idea about cycling, which would be your choice around £300?

Triban 500se

Or

13 Intrinsic Alpha

Sorry for thread drift.
    Buy the Triban, it'll be fine for a starter bike. If you take to the sport you will want a better bike at some point and you can then use the Triban as a wet/winter bike. Forget cred and fashion, it's all about miles in the legs. Nothing better than telling a poseur whose carbon dream bike is put away for the winter that you were out in the wind/rain/snow earlier when you're in a warm pub with rosy cheeks!
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Just thought I would share wheels with you

Scott solace 10, full dura ace with upgraded Syncros Carbon wheel set

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    +1 the Triban. I know loads of blokes with thr Triban (various) models and they are pretty good. I dont know anything about the other...

Sounds like an easy decision then - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Buy the Triban, it'll be fine for a starter bike. If you take to the sport you will want a better bike at some point and you can then use the Triban as a wet/winter bike. Forget cred and fashion, it's all about miles in the legs. Nothing better than telling a poseur whose carbon dream bike is put away for the winter that you were out in the wind/rain/snow earlier when you're in a warm pub with rosy cheeks!
    Great, I'll be off to Decathlon soon to see which frame suits me.

I feel bad about saying this but I haven't really ridden a road bike for a couple of decades. Well, I bought a Specialized Langster on a whim about five years ago and didn't gel with it. Ended up selling it after a couple of weeks.

I hope I do like cycling but so far all I've done is three months on the wattbike in the gym. Hopefully the Triban offers a cheap way to find out about the real thing.

or the cannondale caad 8 at 399

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    or the cannondale caad 8 at 399
    Hadn't spotted that. Thanks - the reviews seem very positive so I'll try that too.

Ordered a set of these Carbon Wheels today for my Full Suspension Project:

Had a limited to 50 people 30% off code on FB this morning - chanced it and got them for £245.00!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Ordered a set of these Carbon Wheels today for my Full Suspension Project:

Had a limited to 50 people 30% off code on FB this morning - chanced it and got them for £245.00!!
    Nice, I've been eyeing up some ENVE ones or the new Mavics (due sept I think).

But then I realised I need to ride my bike more to justify it :)

I looked at enve and mavic and realised I'd need to sell the kids to get them lol.
    Have a look at
    www.sixthelement.co.uk
    They look really good for the price.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Last newbie question from me chaps.

I typed in 'bike forum' to the search bar here and it threw up hundreds of pages. There seem to be quite a few sites. Is there one that's similar to TZ? Thinking of filtered membership and a relatively safe sales section.

The CTC forum is safe and has a sales section. You might have to start wearing socks with sandals though...

http://forum.cyclinguk.org/

Master
    Bike Radar is good too with the occasional obsessive nutter (just like here really). The sales forum is pretty active but I can't remember if there's a minimum post count to view or post. I *think* you at least have to register to view it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    The CTC forum is safe and has a sales section. You might have to start wearing socks with sandals though...

http://forum.cyclinguk.org/
    They sound like my kind of people, CB Must remember to top up my water bottle with IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Bike Radar is good too with the occasional obsessive nutter (just like here really). The sales forum is pretty active but I can't remember if there's a minimum post count to view or post. I *think* you at least have to register to view it.
    Perfect, thanks benny.

Or you can try YACF (yet anothet cycle forum) friendly on their and very knowledgeable.

Bike all packed up in bike box ready for flight to Barcelona from where I ride to Valencia next week, and for cycling around Provence/up Mount Ventoux the week after:

Craftsman
    Anyone have experience of the Dillenger Electric Kits?
    I am looking to sell one of our cars as it only gets used to commute. I'm not sure weather to replace it with a moped (I would need to pass my CBT) or get one of these kits and fit it to either my old mountain bike or my single speed bike.

The kit i'm looking at is the 1000w off road kit
    http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/...dillenger.html
    It is not road legal but I live in a small quiet town and as long as i'm sensible I can't see it being an issue.

Sooo......Moped or electric bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Anyone have experience of the Dillenger Electric Kits?
    I am looking to sell one of our cars as it only gets used to commute. I'm not sure weather to replace it with a moped (I would need to pass my CBT) or get one of these kits and fit it to either my old mountain bike or my single speed bike.

The kit i'm looking at is the 1000w off road kit
    http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/...dillenger.html
    It is not road legal but I live in a small quiet town and as long as i'm sensible I can't see it being an issue.

Sooo......Moped or electric bike?

How much??!! Buy a decent bike and cycle to work.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Bike all packed up in bike box ready for flight to Barcelona from where I ride to Valencia next week, and for cycling around Provence/up Mount Ventoux the week after:
    Here's a short film of this years eventful sponsored ride up Mont Ventoux x3 we did in June.
    3 of our group completed the three ascents but the rest of us weren't allowed up after Chalet Reynard on the third as the roads were closed due to the inclement weather. I don't think I've ever been so cold and after the second descent many of us were literally shaking for an hour, South of France in June eh !

Tomorrow we can see how the pros do it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/615053993

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    How much??!! Buy a decent bike and cycle to work.
    Great. Thanks for your input.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Here's a short film of this years eventful sponsored ride up Mont Ventoux x3 we did in June.
    3 of our group completed the three ascents but the rest of us weren't allowed up after Chalet Reynard on the third as the roads were closed due to the inclement weather. I don't think I've ever been so cold and after the second descent many of us were literally shaking for an hour, South of France in June eh !

Tomorrow we can see how the pros do it.
    There's talk that tomorrow's stage won't finish at the top due to 100kph wind forecasts, which would be a huge shame.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    There's talk that tomorrow's stage won't finish at the top due to 100kph wind forecasts, which would be a huge shame.
    Just read that the shortened route is confirmed. Gutted as I'll be watching live on ITV 4 !

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    That photo could come in handy as I need to pack mine for a trip to the Pyrenees in Sep. I only used my box once before, years ago for a trip to Ventoux and I can't remember exactly how I got it in, just that it was hard! Have fun.

Craftsman
    Recently purchased this:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
    Recently purchased this:

Very nice. I picked up one of the A1 models last summer, I've put 4000 miles on it from road rides to commuting to long distance cycle paths to proper off-road riding and not a single issue apart from wearing out the bottom bracket and chain/cassette. I think they're the ideal bike for everything.

Master
    Sad I know, but as I've often got my little lad on the front and live in the middle of the city with the rush hour stupidity that entails I want to keep both hands on the bars. I've jus bought and fitted a pair of these to the bullitt;

http://www.cycl.bike/

So far very impressed, car-bright and come straight off the bike when you lock up to go into the playgroup or the supermarket.

Really trying to make a concerted effort not to use the car except for business now, have logged zero personal miles since getting the big cargo bike. Actually really enjoying it too - have barely used the roadie or the CX either.

Master

Single speed Mountain Bike

Anyone out there with one? I am running an Orange Prestige 1992 with a 32/16 gear set up. Maguras , what else! And love it. But I fancy a new mtb single speed, researched on one inbreds with horizontal rear wheel setup. Call it age but I just fancy something clean, steel, suspension upfront, disks, any thoughts ? Ps Im a shortarse so a 15 or 16" frame is a starter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Sad I know, but as I've often got my little lad on the front and live in the middle of the city with the rush hour stupidity that entails I want to keep both hands on the bars. I've jus bought and fitted a pair of these to the bullitt;

http://www.cycl.bike/

So far very impressed, car-bright and come straight off the bike when you lock up to go into the playgroup or the supermarket.

Really trying to make a concerted effort not to use the car except for business now, have logged zero personal miles since getting the big cargo bike. Actually really enjoying it too - have barely used the roadie or the CX either.
    My wife has these fitted to her Trek Hybrid, they are brilliant

Higham5 - committed mtb ss'er here.
    I have been out of buying new bikes for a bit.
    You need to decide wheel size first.
    26 or 27.5- latter worth a try, especially if your riding is more rolling rather than tight twisty woods.
    29er would be too big I think.
    A note of caution with on one, and I have had a few. While geometry and design is great, steel quality is lower end.
    My quick thoughts :
    Look at cotic, Genesis and singular, geometry and steel quality are two key factors
    If 26er is the vote, then 2nd hand you may find you get something nice for not much money.
    I have a titanium 26 on one frame, made in us, which was cheap as people favour bigger wheels.
    My singlespeed is an independent fabrication 29er rigid, bought 2nd hand.
    Keep an eye our for these also, as they simply works of art.
    Singletrackworld is a hot bed of singlespeed cycles, with a very easy to use classified forum.
    Any questions let me know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    Higham5 - committed mtb ss'er here.
    I have been out of buying new bikes for a bit.
    You need to decide wheel size first.
    26 or 27.5- latter worth a try, especially if your riding is more rolling rather than tight twisty woods.
    29er would be too big I think.
    A note of caution with on one, and I have had a few. While geometry and design is great, steel quality is lower end.
    My quick thoughts :
    Look at cotic, Genesis and singular, geometry and steel quality are two key factors
    If 26er is the vote, then 2nd hand you may find you get something nice for not much money.
    I have a titanium 26 on one frame, made in us, which was cheap as people favour bigger wheels.
    My singlespeed is an independent fabrication 29er rigid, bought 2nd hand.
    Keep an eye our for these also, as they simply works of art.
    Singletrackworld is a hot bed of singlespeed cycles, with a very easy to use classified forum.
    Any questions let me know.

Thanks for the full details above, Yes I have been looking at Singletrackworld, also Genesis, other names are new to me. Your references to 2nd hand resonate, as a few I have seen on Gumtree are super high spec, eh Chromoly Hope Carbon etc then the price 250 to £350. i pay nearly £200 for - set of shifters on my road bike!
    I agree about a 29 ner . I ride at a local trail centre Gisburn forest , its too technical for 29 ers the track changes direction too fast. I have never riddena a 27.5.

I will keep you updated

I have ridden gisburn a few times. Bigger fork , more relaxed geometry of a newer bike is good there. Keep an eye out for discounting on this years new models, which happens this time of year .
    Any ?? Let me know.

Yay - glad I'm not the only one to be won over by a Diverge. Bought mine a couple of weeks ago and just love it. Can't see my 'proper' road bike getting a look in now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Canyon Aeroad Team Katusha

Master
    Blog Entries
    On the TT bike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    On the TT bike

Now that looks focussed!

Just returned from watching, the Colne Grand Prix city centre cycling. Not many opportunities to watch cat 2 roadies on a tiny 1/2 mile ? Circuit. Lapping at just over a minute. All for free, brilliant , cycling at its best. Never seen so much Carbon exotica before Dolan, Ridley, S.Works Canyon seemed to be the choice.

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Fun couple of weeks. Last week I cycled from Barcelona to Valencia with some lads from work. It was obviously hot and the route had some good bits but also some shockers - motorway type roads rammed with lorries and a fair few gravel tracks. The latter would have been great on mountain bikes or gravel bikes but no road bikes, some with carbon rims! TThis week I'm cycling in Provence with my wife. We've done Mount Ventoux twice - once from Sault and once from Bedoin. We've also done the wonderful Gorges de la Nesque. Picture of us at top of Ventoux this morning...

View from Ventoux:

Master
    Good grief PipPip, don't raise your arm like that, you'll put on upper body mass if you're not careful with exercise like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Good grief PipPip, don't raise your arm like that, you'll put on upper body mass if you're not careful with exercise like that!
    This is my preferred upper body routine...

Bikes here and on its stand. Parts will be put on as they arrive ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Bikes here and on its stand. Parts will be put on as they arrive ;-)
    nice, is that Saronni Red? I'd like a Master X-Lite in that colour one day

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    nice, is that Saronni Red? I'd like a Master X-Lite in that colour one day

Yes I believe it is Saronni Red

Just finished building this:

Added a dropper and got it dirty:

Full Spec:
    Frame - 2014 26'er Nukeproof Mega TR 18.75"
    Shock - Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair
    Fork - 2014 Fox Float 32's 140 travel
    Brakes - Shimano SLX
    Rotors - Shimano XT 180f/160r
    Crank - Shimano SLX 170 38.26t
    Bottom Bracket - Shimano SLX
    Cassette - Shimano SLX 10 sp 11-36t
    Shifters - Shimano SLX I spec B (no display)
    Front Mech - Shimano SLX direct mount dual pull
    Rear Mech - Shimano SLX shadow
    Chain - Shimano Deore
    Bars - Nukeproof Sam Hill 760
    Stem - Nukeproof Warhead 50mm
    Headset - Hope
    Wheels - Superstar AM carbon Switch-ultra
    Tryes - On-One Chunky Monkey trial 2.4 f/Smorgasbord trail 2.25 r
    Pedal - Superstar Nano X
    Seat Post - KS eTEN integral 100mm drop
    Saddle - Specialized Henge
    Grips - Superstar lock-on Half Flange

Groupset Campagnolo Chorus 11 just delivered!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Groupset Campagnolo Chorus 11 just delivered!!
    You'll love riding that. By far the best groupset at I've experienced

Well I have just started out in this road bike journey ,so got myself a bike and then my lad wants to try it out, so got him one too.Now the daughter and wife want one each……….just need to find some good starter routes round yorks

Front mech in situ, tried to fir the brakes but the nut wasn't long enough to go through the forks so just ordered a 35mm titanium one!

I got this delivered today, very happy with it. Planning to invisiframe it over the weekend; so until that is done its just a couple of runs around the block on tarmac to try it out.

The Whyte is a cracking bike - lovely colour!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk