closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 84 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    and my BMX built from mainly NOS parts ...

Wow.......that BMX. You've done a great job there fella. Tell us more, what model is it and how long did it take to complete ?[/QUOTE]

Nice job, trying to dig out a pic of my Raleigh Burner from back in the 80s...pre digital so gonna be difficult 😎

A great brand Dolan

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    My wife's new bike. Dolan Etape with SRAM Rival 22 groupset and Mavic Aksiums. Nice first bike weighing in at about 8kgs and good Black Friday bargain:
    I have two a carbon monocoque which i have had for the best part of fifteen years, not bad for a carbon frame and a Preffisio an aluminium frame that has been taken back to bare metal, polished and is beasted every winter. Again it seems to be pretty much indestructible.

Both have done some serious mileage over the year and never let me down apart from the odd flat.

The carbon frame is coming to the end of its life so it would be interesting to hear how the newer carbon frames like the Etape shape up.

Here's the Preffisio

Master

Updated with titanium stem and CK R45s on DT Swiss rims
    Last edited by neebsta; 3rd April 2016 at 11:26.

Finally get the n+1 bike formula now.

Here's my latest

Malc

Ooh that's pretty :)

Love the colours!!

Lovely Malcolm!

Was next door in Tom Howley this week. Was tempted to pop in but had the missus with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Lovely Malcolm!

Was next door in Tom Howley this week. Was tempted to pop in but had the missus with me.
    Should have left her in there. They're a good crowd, with some nice bikes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Thanks, it was a great day. The Purbeck hills are tough on the legs, but beautiful for cycling. I had to pinch myself sunbathing on the short Sandbanks chain ferry crossing, in October!

I was a bit naughty as I managed a pint in both the Square & Compass and the Scott Arms.

I can't recommend this route highly enough for any London folk who want a further afield cycling day out.

Couple this with the current Southwest Trains weekday return promotion from London to Bournemouth (or any station down to Weymouth) for only £15 return and it's a billy bargain.

Will be doing this route again with my son in half term as the promo is still running until the end of October.
    The Square and Compass is one of the best pubs ever! Nice trip you did. I can also highly recommend the Dorset apple cake in the a Corfe Castle Tea Room.

Something different, but very fun.

:)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    and my BMX built from mainly NOS parts ...

Wow.......that BMX. You've done a great job there fella. Tell us more, what model is it and how long did it take to complete ?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply, didn't spot post. So a few details...

It's a NOS Aero Reflex frame which were a British made frame circa 1985. Unfortunately they were expensive (and British) so not as popular as Haro's etc. The decals only came in blue and red so I had these made up to match the originals but gold to complement the parts on the bike. Most of the parts are nos 80's stuff but the wheels are modern skyways not 80's as the build had to be to a budget. It probably took a year to find all the parts and an evening to put them all together.
    I do get some odd looks when I'm out on it. Probably because I'm to old to be on a BMX and youngsters haven't a clue what they're looking at. The best bit is when you get a knowing nod from guys my age who had them when they were young when chrome and bling were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Wow.......that BMX. You've done a great job there fella. Tell us more, what model is it and how long did it take to complete ?
    Sorry for the late reply, didn't spot post. So a few details...

It's a NOS Aero Reflex frame which were a British made frame circa 1985. Unfortunately they were expensive (and British) so not as popular as Haro's etc. The decals only came in blue and red so I had these made up to match the originals but gold to complement the parts on the bike. Most of the parts are nos 80's stuff but the wheels are modern skyways not 80's as the build had to be to a budget. It probably took a year to find all the parts and an evening to put them all together.
    I do get some odd looks when I'm out on it. Probably because I'm to old to be on a BMX and youngsters haven't a clue what they're looking at. The best bit is when you get a knowing nod from guys my age who had them when they were young when chrome and bling were cool.[/QUOTE]

You are never to old to be on a BMX, trust me. You do get funny looks though, that might just be me.

Craftsman

Blog Entries
    ^^^ I like the tyres!

Master

At last!

After a pretty long wait, it's finally here!

Back at the end of the summer I got offered one of these as a demo bike for the weekend. Having owned the previous model I was a little sceptical but also intrigued to find out if the changes they'd made for 2016 were really that noticeable. Suffice to say I was pretty much blown away, the previous version was a great bike but the shorter chainstays and slacker head angle on the new model made for a much more fun and nimble ride. For what is a very big bike, (an XL 29er) it was a lot of fun. So uncharacteristically, I placed my order, put the old up for sale and waited......

Enough waffle, here it is: 2016 Stumpjumper FSR 29

Last edited by warns74; 22nd February 2016 at 12:04.

^^^That's nice!
    Don't normally like 29'ers but the XL frame seems to make it look 'normal'.

Is it carbon or ali?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    ^^^That's nice!
    Don't normally like 29'ers but the XL frame seems to make it look 'normal'.

Is it carbon or ali?
    Thanks, I'm totally sold on 29ers and have owned nothing else for the past 3 years, especially now there are so many options with great geometry for trail riding. You're right though, it also really helps with the aesthetics if you're tall!

Rear triangle is alu, front is carbon.

Journeyman
    Here's my 29er - Rocky Mountain instinct BC edition.

Been taking it around Swinley a lot of late.

A ride to the coast.

After very limited time on the saddle in the previous 18 months, I've really got the bug again after moving home and being out in the countryside way. Set myself a target of riding at least a 1000 miles over the rest of the year. Not as much of a distance as a lot of you guys do but still something to aim for.

Here's my 2.

Haven't rode this for a while but going out on it at dinner

And my eBike that I've been using quite a bit to get used to the hills etc (minus its battery that is currently being charged)

Really should have washed it over the weekend.

Bought that as a taster and now tempted to get a higher spec one.

As a matter of interest, are full suspension MTB's better for woodland and trails?

Master
    How are you finding the e-bike and what would you look for if upgrading?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    How are you finding the e-bike and what would you look for if upgrading?
    It's been a bit of a godsend to be honest. I live at the very top of a steep one mile+ hill so most of the the final part of my trek is up that. A couple of times it's ran out on me or you can feel it running out so not sure the range is what it says it can do (40 miles). My main ride out was to Holmfirth and the battery ran out as we arrived meaning most of the return leg was a killer - however, that was my fault as I'd not fully charged it.

I do only use the battery sparingly but its great for helping me regain fitness too. I've been thinking of getting a full suspension bike so thought of killing 2 birds and getting a Cube or a Trek eBike with full suspension.

Must be honest, for the money, the eco expedition ebike is fantastic value

Master
    Got this full carbon thing for the road and a Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid for the towpaths.

Just back from my lunchtime ride trying the rockrider after a long time off it. Forgot how light it is in comparison to the eBike I've got. Makes such a difference and already made me realise I've got 2 decent bikes that I don't need to upgrade.

Quick pic of the scenery

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    It's been a bit of a godsend to be honest. I live at the very top of a steep one mile+ hill so most of the the final part of my trek is up that. A couple of times it's ran out on me or you can feel it running out so not sure the range is what it says it can do (40 miles). My main ride out was to Holmfirth and the battery ran out as we arrived meaning most of the return leg was a killer - however, that was my fault as I'd not fully charged it.

I do only use the battery sparingly but its great for helping me regain fitness too. I've been thinking of getting a full suspension bike so thought of killing 2 birds and getting a Cube or a Trek eBike with full suspension.

Must be honest, for the money, the eco expedition ebike is fantastic value
    Thanks. I was thinking about maybe getting one to tow the kids trailer as the combined weight of the pair of them is getting very noticeable!

Nice day for a ride today, Spring is here :-)

Master
    Titanium 29er 1x9

Rigid SS 29er
    Last edited by neebsta; 14th March 2016 at 21:11.

Master
    Quick pic of the scenery
    Excellent photo! I’d love to be able to go for a lunchtime spin in country like that.

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    Titanium 29er 1x9

Rigid SS 29er
    Moots looks great, in fact they both do, very nice.

I was out riding in the lovely sunshine today, no wind too as a bonus. All of the cold, windy, damp grovelling rides are instantly forgotten! Still on the Felt winter bike though, plenty of salt lying around on the roads.
    F.T.F.A.

Did a lovely 100km ride on Sunday, goodness did that blow off a few cobwebs, amazing feeling to get back on the roads. Should have had winter tyres on though as the early morning start did make things a bit slick. Good to see lots of other cyclists on the roads!

I'm picking my bike up from the local bike shop today where it's been in for a service/repair.
    I've not cycled since I was knocked off my bike nearly 6 years ago! I spent 3 weeks in hospital but the bike came off far better than I did.
    I honestly don't know if I've got the guts to actually get back on it, just the thought makes my queasy but in the 6 years there has been miles of bike lanes added around my area so I'm trying to convince myself that it's much safer now.
    I'll let you know how, or if, I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Excellent photo! I’d love to be able to go for a lunchtime spin in country like that.
    Thanks. Feel very lucky living where I am - even more so that I actually didn't realise just how much was around us when we went for the house. The whole focus was on the move but although my wife knew the area, I only knew a little of it. The picture was taken about half a mile away from my house

The weather isn't looking so nice today though. Damn

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I'm picking my bike up from the local bike shop today where it's been in for a service/repair.
    I've not cycled since I was knocked off my bike nearly 6 years ago! I spent 3 weeks in hospital but the bike came off far better than I did.
    I honestly don't know if I've got the guts to actually get back on it, just the thought makes my queasy but in the 6 years there has been miles of bike lanes added around my area so I'm trying to convince myself that it's much safer now.
    Good luck - hope all goes well

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Good luck I hope you get the bug back.

After a bit of advice here. Was out after work and on the last bit home I changed gear and the chain slipped and seemed to get stuck in between the teeth and the case. What causes this?

It was impossible to loosen so I had to walk it home. I've managed to sort it now by levering it out but concerned what caused it and what it may have done. The second pic appears to be bent slightly

Master
    I think that is very unusual and indicative of a fault, either a bent chainring or a wrongly assembled chainset.

While I have once in a while had a chain drop right off the chainset and into the gap between the inner ring in the frame, I have never ever had a chain go between the rings like that. Dropping right off is itself indicative of a problem, usually misadjustment of the front derailleur.

Most chainsets made in the last couple of decades have pins and ramps to prevent chain drop and to help the chain climb up and down. The only thing I can think of is that the middle and / or inner rings have had a knock on rocks at some stage and something has got bent.

I think that is very unusual and indicative of a fault, either a bent chainring or a wrongly assembled chainset. While I have once in a while had a chain drop right off the chainset and into the gap between the inner ring in the frame, I have never ever had a chain go between the rings like that. Dropping right off is itself indicative of a problem, usually misadjustment of the front derailleur.

The only thing I can think of is that the middle and / or inner rings have had a knock on rocks at some stage and something has got bent.
    Ah heck. Only second venture into the woods although it was primarily just mud as opposed to rocky. Bike is only 2 months old.

Worth raising with the manufacturer or will they say it's been done while riding? I've done less than 100 miles on it.

Master
    Ah heck. Only second venture into the woods although it was primarily just mud as opposed to rocky. Bike is only 2 months old.

Worth raising with the manufacturer or will they say it's been done while riding? I've done less than 100 miles on it.
    Is there a local bike shop that you can take it to for a look? Most unusual, as I say, without a fairly severe mishap. Another possibility is that you are using a chain that is too narrow externally but on a new bike that is unlikely, I’d have thought.

Did you change to a smaller ring at the front when you were grinding your way up a tricky bit?

Anyway, don’t worry, whatever the cause it can be easily sorted out. Even if an entire new chainset was required to avoid it happening again it wouldn’t be too expensive. The bending that you might be seeing in the second pic could just be the chain forcing one ring to the side, and when the chain is pulled out the ring could spring back into place. However, ideally you want to find and eliminate the cause, for as you have found, things like that are a right pain in the a%se.
    Last edited by Si; 15th March 2016 at 22:42.

Is there a local bike shop that you can take it to for a look? Most unusual, as I say, without a fairly severe mishap. Another possibility is that you are using a chain that is too narrow externally but on a new bike that is unlikely, I’d have thought.

Did you change to a smaller ring at the front when you were grinding your way up a tricky bit?

Anyway, don’t worry, whatever the cause it can be easily sorted out. Even if an entire new chainset was required to avoid it happening again it wouldn’t be too expensive. The bending that you might be seeing in the second pic could just be the chain forcing one ring to the side, and when the chain is pulled out the ring could spring back into place. However, ideally you want to find and eliminate the cause, for as you have found, things like that are a right pain in the a%se.
    Thanks. Have a local store yes so will pop in and see them. Bike was delivered 90% assembled and just had to have headset and pedals fitted. I've not touched anything else.

It has been working fine although the motor plays up occasionally (it's an electric/pedal assist). Didn't notice any issue tonight until this happened at the very bottom of my hill. So a mile push up there was fun.

Thanks again. I'll see what they say.

Nasty case of chain suck.

Normally chain rings have little blobs to stop this happening, but it isn't impossible, as you proved.

Master
    I wouldn't be too worried if i read correctly it happened while changing gear? I could be that the front mech (derailleur) needs adjusting.
    cables stretch, threads loosen, parts bed in, etc its good practice to have a new bike checked out by the LBS when its had a few miles on it.

BTW I did something similar on a new mail order bike on the second ride the rear mech over shifted off the end of the cassette and jammed behind it, I managed to mangle the rear mech trying the free the chain in a Basil Fawlty style, obviously at the point in the ride when we were farthest from the car...

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Nasty case of chain suck.

Normally chain rings have little blobs to stop this happening, but it isn't impossible, as you proved.
    I read about this yesterday and it kept making me think I'd typed chain stuck incorrectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried if i read correctly it happened while changing gear? I could be that the front mech (derailleur) needs adjusting.
    cables stretch, threads loosen, parts bed in, etc its good practice to have a new bike checked out by the LBS when its had a few miles on it.

BTW I did something similar on a new mail order bike on the second ride the rear mech over shifted off the end of the cassette and jammed behind it, I managed to mangle the rear mech trying the free the chain in a Basil Fawlty style, obviously at the point in the ride when we were farthest from the car...
    Thanks. I've actually spoken with the supplier this morning and he mentioned the derailleur too. As I'm having an apparent problem with the motor I'm sending it back for them to look at - although annoyingly its at my cost. Going to try and wangle work so I can take it down myself somehow

Ordered just before Christmas and arrived this morning. It's my first carbon frame, but my 2nd Rose

Planning a ride tomorrow to dial in the set up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Ordered just before Christmas and arrived this morning. It's my first carbon frame, but my 2nd Rose

Nice Bike - enjoy your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post

Nice. I've been riding a Rose ProSL 3000, 11 speed Ultegra, for a couple of years, love it, very light and comfy on the longer rides. I changed the Mavic wheels for Campag Zondas last years, cracking wheels for the money.
    F.T.F.A.

This is the new 11 speed SRAM Force with the WiFli set up. Have SRAM Apex on my aluminium frame Rose which I've really enjoyed, but always wanted to see what difference a carbon frame would make.

This is my old Rose. Had her for 4 years or so and will probably hang onto her.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Nice. I've been riding a Rose ProSL 3000, 11 speed Ultegra, for a couple of years, love it, very light and comfy on the longer rides. I changed the Mavic wheels for Campag Zondas last years, cracking wheels for the money.
    Im a big fan of the Zondas too. I bought my supersix without wheels and added them. Superb daily riders and commuting wheels. If theres a better wheelset for the money Ive yet to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Im a big fan of the Zondas too. I bought my supersix without wheels and added them. Superb daily riders and commuting wheels. If theres a better wheelset for the money Ive yet to find it.
    Indeed, you'd have to pay a lot of money to get appreciably better wheels.
    F.T.F.A.

Dolan scala

Just got this and raced it for the first time at the weekend in a duathlon. Will do some TT's on it this year.

Nice, Meesterbond 😉
    Must admit it feels way quicker than my previous TT bike, more aero, lighter, etc.