closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 750 of 3133

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

  1. #701
    Journeyman Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Very nice indeed.
    Thanks! It looks a little bit rough around the edges now, it's seen a few thousand miles since that was taken!

  2. #702
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,069
    I'm on a Fitness Regtime at the moment and haven't ridden a bike for about 5 years.

    I know this is nowhere in the same league as some of the bikes on here but wanted to show off my new ride bought today.

    It's a 2015 Trex 7.4 FX.



    scooter

  3. #703
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    169

    A good mate of mine has started making his own bikes. I've been loaned one for a while and since it's arrived, I've not used my Cannondale or Cube at all. It's called the Stanforth Kibo and oddly it seemingly has huge appeal. Causes plenty of positive comment.

    http://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/#!stanforthkibo/c10fk

  4. #704

    carbon bikes

    Seeing all these bikes and watching the tdf has made me lust after a carbon bike.

    Are they really quicker and more fun to ride?

  5. #705
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    I skipped carbon and went straight from a low end alloy to titanium. It's lightweight/fast, incredibly strong, looks amazing and so smooth its like riding on a carpet. Carbon is nice too but I felt the pull of titanium more strongly!

  6. #706
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Seeing all these bikes and watching the tdf has made me lust after a carbon bike.

    Are they really quicker and more fun to ride?
    It's not about the bike. It really isn't.

  7. #707
    Master Possu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,270
    I think I have converted. For the first time in my life I actually want to exercise. I would never have thought cycling would be so fun. I rode to work today, which was nice. Especially nice, as I couldn't do anything on site, so I was able to squeeze in a 15 mile spin. I snapped a couple of pics, which turned out really bad, as usual.






  8. #708
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,557
    Perhaps my favourite of my current crop, Canyon Aeroad with Di2 and a few other upgrades. Some nice steads on this thread though.








  9. #709
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gloucestershushtershire
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
    A good mate of mine has started making his own bikes. I've been loaned one for a while and since it's arrived, I've not used my Cannondale or Cube at all. It's called the Stanforth Kibo and oddly it seemingly has huge appeal. Causes plenty of positive comment.

    http://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/#!stanforthkibo/c10fk
    I understand the logic - but those 26" wheels on that frame really jar the eyeballs.

  10. #710
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    4,629
    ^^^ I concur, not a pretty bike.

  11. #711
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,684
    Congratulations, Chris Froome. Both on the win and his calm in the face of the French media and some of their public.

    Further congratulations to Sir Dave Brailsford.

  12. #712
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Congratulations, Chris Froome. Both on the win and his calm in the face of the French media and some of their public.

    Further congratulations to Sir Dave Brailsford.
    Lots hope he gets the recognition he deserves this time

  13. #713
    My ride:



    At La Toussuire in the Alps :)

  14. #714
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,437
    Not sure how well received this will be, but here's my Cube Stereo full suspension mountain bike with superb spec:

    - Fox Float CTD forks
    - Fox Float CTD shock
    - SRAM XX1 rear dérailleur
    - SRAM X01 shifter
    - Shimano XT brakes
    - RockShox Reverb Stealth dropper post

    and...

    - Bosch Performance drive with Nyon



    I used to cycle a reasonable amount, but over the past few years I've just pottered around on canal paths, bridleways, etc. when cycling with my wife. Decided I wanted to get back into it and bought this a few weeks ago.

    Was looking for a decent eMTB as I live a reasonably hilly cycle from the forest with the singletrack I was looking to cycle; cycling there and back would mean I wouldn't enjoy the singletrwck as much as I'd be a bit knackered and I don't want to drive. I'm sure some would think that's a little lazy, and I'd agree, but I wanted one nonetheless.

    This bike came up at what I thought was a really good deal with much better spec than someone of my abilities needs... and I've not looked back since.

    I've not owned full suspension before and it really smooths out the rocky descents. The dropper post is also superb; incredibly quick to pop it down and I can shift my body to where it needs to be with no saddle getting in the way and I no longer need to get my body 'behind' the saddle which has always made me feel a little vulnerable somehow.

    The Bosch Performance system is also fantastic. It has four settings which provide 50%-275% assistance (up to a maximum speed of 16mph) - there is no throttle, the system only assists your pedalling and contributes based on various measurements it takes a squizillion times per second. Battery is 36V and 11Ah; difficult to say how many miles it offers as terrain and assistance levels will vary it massively. However, a 35 mile round trip through some very hilly terrain doesn't fully drain the battery. Overall, I've been really pleased with it so far.

    Here are a couple of photos from a recent ride:



    Last edited by mab; 27th July 2015 at 21:20.

  15. #715
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    185
    I can appreciate your point of view based on the photo's you've posted. No problem with your logic

  16. #716
    I have seen a fair few about, I think it a clever use of technology I would be intrested in having a go on one.

    I am not intrested in owning one but I see no problems with people having them, great idea.

    I hope you enjoy it and nice pictures.

  17. #717
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,654
    I've done about 1350 road miles on an inexpensive hybrid this year and would like to get something more appropriate. Halfords have a good price on the Boardman Road Sport Bike model at the moment so I'm about to take the plunge.

    My first concern though is the size - I'm a few mm short of 6'2 with a 34" inside leg - the largest frame available is 57.5cm, but the road bike sizing guide (below) suggests 58-60cm for persons between 6'0" - 6'3" - has anyone had any relevant experience of this bike they can share?



    Secondly, the roads round here are decent but mostly not smooth tarmac and I've been known to collide with a pothole at 25+ mph coming downhill - the knobbly tractor tyres on the hybrid seem to soak up the bumps and knocks, but can the narrow wheels and skinny tyres of a sporty road bike take that sort of punishment?

    Grateful for any advice.

    http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/road-bike-sizing-guide

  18. #718
    I've also done the transition from starter hybrid with 38mm to road bike with 23mm tyres and the road bike in my experience is no better or worse than the hybrid on potholed roads. Have had broken spokes on both, but only once in each case. Would try to go for at least 25mm tyres on the roadie just for ride comfort, I'm lucky my road bike is a carbon with insert doofers to smooth out the ride, it actually rides better than the hybrid.

  19. #719
    I can see the advantages of ebikes and I must profess to wanting one for the winter commute. My round trip is around 34 miles and it could mean doing it more often, but at the current prices levels for nice ones a scooter is cheaper.

  20. #720
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Woolwich, England
    Posts
    1,176
    Just built this:



    best bike i have ridden by some distance.

  21. #721
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    14,193
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I can see the advantages of ebikes and I must profess to wanting one for the winter commute. My round trip is around 34 miles and it could mean doing it more often, but at the current prices levels for nice ones a scooter is cheaper.
    Thats about the same distance as my commute. I do it virtually every time i go into work (which can be anything from 2-5 days a week) across the year. All you need is the right clothing.

  22. #722
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,570
    Ok, I've finished a raft of upgrades to the bike that has culminated in some fabulous Enve 3.4 SES wheels so here's a pic with updated spec:-



    BMC Teammachine SLR01
    Full Dura Ace 9000 mechanical groupset
    Dura Ace 9000 pedals
    C-Bear ceramic bottom bracket
    Enve 3.4 SES powertap wheels
    Enve titanium skewers
    Continental Competition ProLtd tubs
    Swissstop Black Prince brake pads
    Jagwire link gear and brake cables
    Bontrager Paradigm XXX carbon saddle
    3T ergonova bar with Lizardskins DSP
    3T Stem

    Completely rebuilt by my own fair hands and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

    Comes it at 6.5kg less pedals and cages.

    Rides like a dream and accelerates like a rocket.

  23. #723
    Master Chris W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Just built this:



    best bike i have ridden by some distance.
    Nice!

    How do you find the xfusion forks/shock?

    Looking at the Bird Aeris 3 next year and that's all xfusion bouncy bits.
    Last edited by Chris W; 26th August 2015 at 07:55.

  24. #724
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Comes it at 6.5kg less pedals and cages.
    Nice, but why weigh it without pedals and cages? If it's to compare with published figures then I hope you also deducted 10-15% as that is what all the manufacturer's do

  25. #725
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    I was having a few issues with punctures (like 5 in one day on a 100 mile outing) so decided it was time for new tyres for my custom built Burls. I decided to give 25c tyres a go instead of my usual 23c and fitted them this afternoon. Just been out for a pedal - the combination of 25c tyres with the titanium frame makes this one silky smooth machine over the tarmac. Glides like cruiser but weighs around 7.3kgs and has sharp steering/handling when needed due to the front forks and short chain stays. Don't think I'll ever part with this machine.




  26. #726
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I was having a few issues with punctures (like 5 in one day on a 100 mile outing) so decided it was time for new tyres for my custom built Burls. I decided to give 25c tyres a go instead of my usual 23c and fitted them this afternoon. Just been out for a pedal - the combination of 25c tyres with the titanium frame makes this one silky smooth machine over the tarmac. Glides like cruiser but weighs around 7.3kgs and has sharp steering/handling when needed due to the front forks and short chain stays. Don't think I'll ever part with this machine.



    Ooh - that is a good looking bike... Which frame is it?

  27. #727
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    Its a custom build titanium by Justin Burls.

  28. #728
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    14,193
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Its a custom build titanium by Justin Burls.
    Who did your wheels?

  29. #729
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    They are just factory wheels. American Classic Sprint 350. Nice enough, very light (ran out of funds for anything better!).

  30. #730
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    14,193
    Next upgrade sorted then!

  31. #731
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Next upgrade sorted then!
    Yep! I like the very light weight of the American Classics but they are known to be a bit flexi.

  32. #732
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Next upgrade sorted then!
    Don't want to upset anybody but I know 4 people who have had American Classics and 3 have binned them as they kept failing (loose and broken spokes, creaking, flexing). Light, strong, cheap. Pick 2.

  33. #733
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    14,193
    Recommend Paul Hewitt for wheels.

  34. #734
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Don't want to upset anybody but I know 4 people who have had American Classics and 3 have binned them as they kept failing (loose and broken spokes, creaking, flexing). Light, strong, cheap. Pick 2.
    Plenty of internet reports on people having issues. However, I've done maybe 3,000 miles on mine with zero issues and they are still tight and true plus the bearings remain silky and fast. I think bigger/heavier riders can have issues with them but thankfully all good with mine. Perhaps I'm just not powerful enough to do them any damage!

  35. #735
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Recommend Paul Hewitt for wheels.
    I went to Paul last week to true and tension my Enve's, lovely chap and his shop is a real Aladdin's cave.

    He had a lovely C60 with SR EPS on Bora Ultras waiting to be collected. It looked fantastic but was surprisingly heavy.

    Choose your hubs according to budget and lace them to Archetype, Ambrosio or Pacenti rims and you'll have anything as good as factory aluminium wheels at any budget.

  36. #736
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    422
    Guys,

    I'm looking for a CX suitable got someone 6'1" 2nd hand or new if you know of any good deals going please let me know.

    Cheers

  37. #737
    Craftsman Pubdweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I've done about 1350 road miles on an inexpensive hybrid this year and would like to get something more appropriate. Halfords have a good price on the Boardman Road Sport Bike model at the moment so I'm about to take the plunge.

    My first concern though is the size - I'm a few mm short of 6'2 with a 34" inside leg - the largest frame available is 57.5cm, but the road bike sizing guide (below) suggests 58-60cm for persons between 6'0" - 6'3" - has anyone had any relevant experience of this bike they can share?



    Secondly, the roads round here are decent but mostly not smooth tarmac and I've been known to collide with a pothole at 25+ mph coming downhill - the knobbly tractor tyres on the hybrid seem to soak up the bumps and knocks, but can the narrow wheels and skinny tyres of a sporty road bike take that sort of punishment?

    Grateful for any advice.

    http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/road-bike-sizing-guide
    In my limited experience I've found sizing can be all over the place - if you're buying new can you not just go to the store?.. that's got to be the one advantage.
    My story is similar to yours, started out on a Boardman hybrid late last year (bought from this forum). It was immaculate and cost me 30% of retail. Today I bought a cube carbon racer from some guy I got talking to at my local cycle cafe for£500.. This retailed at £1400 2 years ago and again is immaculate and just been serviced.

    I mention this because by going second hand you can get more bang for your buck..also if you congregate in areas with other cyclists (cafes etc) you can often get an even better deal as people are able to discount more to avoid having to deal with tyre kickers from ebay/ gumtree etc

    Finally you may be surprised at how much more compact a racer is compared to a hybrid. I expected it to be the same but with different handlebars . .how wrong I was!

  38. #738
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I can't take credit for the photos, but I'm finally picking this up tomorrow! Ordered back in November I think it took rather a lot longer than hoped to arrive - mainly because the forks had to go from Enve out to Parlee for them to bond the mudguard eyelets on and then onto Indy Fab to paint and ship over.

    Anyway, it's a bit of a winter / CX hybrid, Ultegra groupset w/ hydraulic brakes, Hed/CK wheels and a rather funky Molteni-style paint job.









    I absolutely love this. Brilliant.

  39. #739
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,031
    Salsa Selma Ti 29er



    Of Spirit (OS) Blackbuck 29er SS Designed by the legendary Mark Slate



    Salsa Pistola


  40. #740
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    I absolutely love this. Brilliant.
    Thank you... I'm rather fond of it too.

    So much so, I'm deliberating whether to get another Indy Fab for my next bike

  41. #741
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Thank you... I'm rather fond of it too.

    So much so, I'm deliberating whether to get another Indy Fab for my next bike
    Can I ask roughly how much would one like this cost?

    It's just what I'm after

  42. #742
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    Can I ask roughly how much would one like this cost?

    It's just what I'm after

    The frame was about £2k, although the paintjob on this added a fair bit to that. Full custom, hand-welded in New Hampshire.

    Other than that, everything is fairly standard, Ultegra Hydraulic disks, Fizik finishing kit etc. Although I did go a bit nuts on the wheels - Chris King R45 hubs on Hed Belgium rims...

  43. #743
    Into my 11th year on this one now :



    Changed the bars to Soma Oxfords but swap the original Nitto drops back in from time to time :





    Paul

  44. #744
    Master markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh - directing IT stuff
    Posts
    3,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Into my 11th year on this one now :



    Changed the bars to Soma Oxfords but swap the original Nitto drops back in from time to time :





    Paul
    Are they TA Cycltouriste cranks? They look like the ones on my old (long gone) tourer.

    MarkC

  45. #745
    I've got a day off tomorrow and it's like the summer we never had at the moment. So I'm going to take me and my bike on the train down from Surbiton to Bournemouth tomorrow, and do the following cycle route, which is a belter.

    Surbiton ---> train to Bournemouth--->Along the beach cycle path to Sandbanks--->Chain ferry to Studland--->Fish and chips in Swanage--->Up the hill for a pint in Square and Compass, Worth Matravers--->Down the hill to Corfe Castle--->Up and over the Purbeck hills and back on the chain ferry to Sandbanks--->Off the bike and a walk up Bournemouth Beach--->Cycle to Bournemouth train staton and home on the train to Surbiton.

    35 miles with plenty of hills, which for a mid/late 40-something (with a pasty-habit) will definitely take its toll. Wave at me if you're in the area.

  46. #746
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Are they TA Cycltouriste cranks? They look like the ones on my old (long gone) tourer.

    MarkC
    Well spotted, they are indeed. TA 44x26 cranks and BB.



    The other bits are Dura Ace, Ultegra and Ukai on a Tange Prestige frame.

    Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 4th October 2015 at 09:53.

  47. #747
    Craftsman Pubdweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I've got a day off tomorrow and it's like the summer we never had at the moment. So I'm going to take me and my bike on the train down from Surbiton to Bournemouth tomorrow, and do the following cycle route, which is a belter.

    Surbiton ---> train to Bournemouth--->Along the beach cycle path to Sandbanks--->Chain ferry to Studland--->Fish and chips in Swanage--->Up the hill for a pint in Square and Compass, Worth Matravers--->Down the hill to Corfe Castle--->Up and over the Purbeck hills and back on the chain ferry to Sandbanks--->Off the bike and a walk up Bournemouth Beach--->Cycle to Bournemouth train staton and home on the train to Surbiton.

    35 miles with plenty of hills, which for a mid/late 40-something (with a pasty-habit) will definitely take its toll. Wave at me if you're in the area.
    You're not far from me..i'm over in Richmond . Do you ride in Richmond Park? .
    One of my routes is A316 sunbury, then up to Hampton Court, then Walton, Hersham and Esher where I stop at Giro cycles for a coffee and cake before doing it in reverse.

    total 34 miles

  48. #748
    Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    You're not far from me..i'm over in Richmond . Do you ride in Richmond Park? .
    One of my routes is A316 sunbury, then up to Hampton Court, then Walton, Hersham and Esher where I stop at Giro cycles for a coffee and cake before doing it in reverse.

    total 34 miles
    Not Richmond Park so much, but I'm always out on my bike along the river with my boys around Teddington/Kingston/Hampton Court etc.

    I do a mean cycle pub crawl along the river taking in all the river fronting pubs from Richmond (White Cross)->Twickenham (White Swan)->Teddington (Anglers)->Kingston (Boater)->Surbiton (Harts Boatyard)->Thames Ditton (Ye Olde Swan). It gets a bit wobbly, as you've guessed towards the end.

    As you see I don't take my cycling too seriously!

  49. #749
    Has anyone adjusted a sealed bearings rear hub ?

    I've noticed my Whyte 529 has a little bit of play side to side on the rear wheel & wondering if this is an easy fix.
    I don't think the bearings need replaced as the wheel spins very smoothly so I'm hoping its just something that needs tightened up ?
    Is this something I can easily do myself or do I need to take the wheel to a bike shop ?

  50. #750
    Swapped the bars again. Out goes the relaxed Soma Oxford albatross ...



    ... and in comes the slightly more purposeful Nitto B206AA :



    Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information