closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 84 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    My knees have gone all weak just looking at this:

hubba hubba!

(the all new Venge ViAS)
    Im a Specialized Fanboy of the highest order and I don't rate it! I have rode The Venge, Transition, & Shiv and Id always opt for a Tarmac or Roubaix any day of the week
    RIAC

Love some of it but brakes leave me cold, looks a ball ache to work on/maintain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Im a Specialized Fanboy of the highest order and I don't rate it! I have rode The Venge, Transition, & Shiv and Id always opt for a Tarmac or Roubaix any day of the week
    More or less ditto. although not a Spesh fan especially, I also prefer road to aero bikes.

Kind of cool, but wouldn't swap what I have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Kind of cool, but wouldn't swap what I have.
    Yes but you also hate coffee. Therefore your status has been downgraded from "cyclist" to "rich bloke who rides expensive bicycle" and as such, all opinions you have are suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Yes but you also hate coffee. Therefore your status has been downgraded from "cyclist" to "rich bloke who rides expensive bicycle" and as such, all opinions you have are suspect.
    Objectively, the bike is cool looking, but the wobbly looking stem and deformed down tubes detract from the bike.

Worse still, bike branded cranks look cheap and Roval wheels are fugly.

It's also Shimano.

See, proof.

Banned
    Father Josh prescribes a daily penance of 3 espressos and a macchiato. Go now and sin no more.

I'll try an IPA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I'll try an IPA.
    There is, evidently, hope for you. But I still insist on coffee before riding rather than ale!

My knees have gone all weak just looking at this:

hubba hubba!

(the all new Venge ViAS)
    Stem and aero top cap are very ugly, I don't like the saddle and wheels would have to go but other than that it is quite purposeful. Hardly a good looking bike though.

Allegedly it's 5 mins quicker than a Tarmac over 40km, although if you dig deeper that seems to include changing not only the bike and wheels but the shorts and flappy jersey for a skinsuit, normal helmet for an aero one, tyres, shoes so a little misleading.

Considering it comes with a Quarq as standard £8,500 looks almost reasonable - I'll be sticking with my S5 for the time being though.

Banned
    I was about to pull the trigger on one of those bad boys as a daily commuter but then noticed that the stupid saddle has nowhere to hang my saddlebag from so on that basis i am out.

Master
    Wow! Some lovely carbon bling on this thread, but time to bring it back down a peg or ten!

I've been looking for an option to make the most of the summer and get out on family rides. My daughter is too big for a bike seat and I was never keen on conventional trailers due to their width on the road. She's not quite ready for a tag-a-long yet and this seemed to be the perfect compromise.

Hitched up to my family/hack bike (a 2014 Rockhopper 29er)! Should be good for some tracks, trails and light off-road.

Last edited by warns74; 24th June 2015 at 14:42.

Nice set up Warns.. i think my daughter would very much like to travel like this!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barty9 View Post
    Nice set up Warns.. i think my daughter would very much like to travel like this!
    Thanks! Had a couple of short test rides on the weekend once I'd built it up and the huge smile on her face said it all.
    Now I just need to convince her to pedal!

Quote Originally Posted by warns74 View Post
    Thanks! Had a couple of short test rides on the weekend once I'd built it up and the huge smile on her face said it all.
    Now I just need to convince her to pedal!
    My daughter is a little over three - do you think a similar set-up would be ok?

Master
    My daughter is a little over three - do you think a similar set-up would be ok?
    The age range on their website says 2-9, my daughter turned 3 in Feb.

The age range on their website says 2-9, my daughter turned 3 in Feb.
    Many thanks, I shall have a look at these over the weekend. Looks great fun :-)

Master
    Many thanks, I shall have a look at these over the weekend. Looks great fun :-)
    You're welcome, feel free to drop me a line if you want any more details.

Master
    I wonder why Specialized are using Sagan to "promote" this model, rather than Cavendish who has traditionally been the Venge flag-holder for Specialized?

Maybe Oleg spent some ££ to make sure his team got it first?

Anyway, I wouldnt say no! (to the bike, not Oleg!)

With Sworks new aero venge the topic of conversation what's everyone's thoughts on the new more "Aero" Canyon ultimate cf slx that's just been announced?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
    With Sworks new aero venge the topic of conversation what's everyone's thoughts on the new more "Aero" Canyon ultimate cf slx that's just been announced?

Prefer the Aeroad to be honest... the new Ultimate looks gopping, particularly in the battleship grey colour they've got on the website

That said, I had the pleasure of seeing Dowsett's Canyon Speedmax TT bike close up the other evening... although I didn't get a particularly good look the first time I saw it as he overtook me...

Last edited by Meesterbond; 24th June 2015 at 21:41.

Master
    Wow! Some lovely carbon bling on this thread, but time to bring it back down a peg or ten!

I've been looking for an option to make the most of the summer and get out on family rides. My daughter is too big for a bike seat and I was never keen on conventional trailers due to their width on the road. She's not quite ready for a tag-a-long yet and this seemed to be the perfect compromise.

Hitched up to my family/hack bike (a 2014 Rockhopper 29er)! Should be good for some tracks, trails and light off-road.

I like that a lot, where did you get it from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    I like that a lot, where did you get it from?
    There are a few UK distributors, if you search for "weehoo igo" or "weehoo turbo" you should find them easily.enough.
    Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Master
    Thanks for that, not sure about the grips...

Just upgraded my Trek Domane 4.5 disc that I have put over 1,000 miles on since buying it in March to a BMC Teammachine SLR01. Night and day between the two bikes.

The next day, I took it to the Lake District for 3 days, performed amazingly well, particularly on the climbs.

Saddlebag and flare light have gone, Dura Ace groupset ordered (pure vanity), Stages power meter, looking for new wheels (Enve 3.4SES if I'm brave) and a new cockpit. Perhaps Ritchey Superlogic bar and stem.

Pics.

Last edited by JC180; 14th July 2015 at 11:22.

Banned
    First time i ever seen a bike where you could get a body in the trunk...

First time i ever seen a bike where you could get a body in the trunk...
    You're the perfect snob Josh. I did say the saddle bag has gone. Ruins the lines apparently

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    You're the perfect snob Josh. I did say the saddle bag has gone. Ruins the lines apparently
    Is this your car by any chance?

Just upgraded my Trek Domane 4.5 disc that I have put over 1,000 miles on since buying it in March to a BMC Teammachine SLR01. Night and day between the two bikes.

The next day, I took it to the Lake District for 3 days, performed amazingly well, particularly on the climbs.

Saddlebag and flare light have gone, Dura Ace groupset ordered (pure vanity), Stages power meter, looking for new wheels (Enve 3.4SES if I'm brave) and a new cockpit. Perhaps Ritchey Superlogic bar and stem.
    I've got the Domane 4.3 (non-disc).....in what way is the BMC "night and day"??

I've been upgrading mine since last Sept (don't we all) and I've gone about as far as I will go with it without changing the whole bike so just wondering.

Also, 2 other questions;

1. Why didn't you buy the version that already has Dura Ace?
    2. Will you be selling on the Ultegra that you take off (please) :o) ?

Mark

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

With me acting as middle man Kerry (100thmonkey) sold this to my boss and cycling buddy Mike. He is delighted with it Kerry, fantastic bike.
    Edit: Roubaix with Ultegra Di2, Mavic carbon rims, S-Works bits elsewhere.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436898662.177735.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I've got the Domane 4.3 (non-disc).....in what way is the BMC "night and day"??

I've been upgrading mine since last Sept (don't we all) and I've gone about as far as I will go with it without changing the whole bike so just wondering.

Also, 2 other questions;

1. Why didn't you buy the version that already has Dura Ace?
    2. Will you be selling on the Ultegra that you take off (please) :o) ?

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Happy to clarify. I'm 73kg and pretty fit now. I wasn't all that fit in March when I purchased the Trek but could quite easily do a 50+ mile sportive in 3hrs as I had been doing loads of spinning on the turbo over the winter to lose weight. Since I purchased the Trek, I have been doing lot of road riding and most pertinently climbing. Going in to the Peak District and doing 5,000 ft of climbing on avg per ride, I also did a 100 mile ride from Manchester to Penrith. I have also purchased a Wahoo Kickr which is incredible for training benefit and a Stages Power Meter for my bike so that I can push myself to my known capability rather than backing off due to perceived physical exertion. I've also added Schwalbe One tubeless tyres to the Trek which transformed it on the flat and downhill, made it faster and far more stable and confidence inspiring. It also naturally rides better as I'm running them at 75psi.

I achieved what I wanted to in terms of endurance and distance, I wanted to go faster. And as I was a lot more flexible than when I started, wanted to get down in to a more aggressive position, so wanted a lower head tube and smaller stack height than the domane.

My one one weak spot was climbing, I could climb, and steadily improved from March, increasing power output and shaving off seconds, but the Trek with discs particularly is a heavy bike 9kg+ and even with 32 teeth on the back and a compact chainset, I found that in 7% + gradients, I was just spinning in the granny gear trying to keep my breathing in check.

The BMC is a pro level frame set, 800g frame weight and a 7kg fully built weight with average DT Swiss wheels. Immediate the bike felt light and lively, and on a regular 14 mile route that I do I went for a shakedown Sunday AM before breakfast and shaved 2 mins off my time. It was faster everywhere but especially on the climbs, I shaved 14 seconds off my PB on a local steep climb and was well down the block all the way up with a long out of the saddle sprint to the finish. Unheard of on the trek, I may have been on the 25 or 28 tooth at best.

That evening I went to the Lake District and tackled up to 25% inclines, again, I was on my lowest gear for these 28 teeth in this case, but still the exertion was much less, the enjoyment was greater and I felt less anxiety all round. The bike was just more fun.

I havent even even got to stiffness, and comfort which are both exceptional, the ride on 23mm clinchers is within 2 tents of my Domane with isospeed and 28mm tubeless. Pretty exceptional.

Here is the review, only marked down half a star due to price. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...lr01-14-48486/

I didn't buy the Dura Ace because I got an exceptional deal on the Ultegra. New with just some handling marks for £2k! List is £3.5k and the Dura Ace is £5,300. My groupset is costing me £800 or thereabouts and I will sell the Ultegra groupset so a net cost of me of much less. If you're interested in it send me a PM.

The allure of a pro level bike (once I sort the wheels) for around £3k is intoxicating.

Banned
    If I was a snob I might mention Rule 17...

Grand Master
    Back in Black
    RIAC

Some fantastic machines on here. Thought I'd make my own contribution.

The frame for this was given to me by a friend of my Dads who'd given up cycling due to ill health/age in the mid 80s (so I think it's late 60s) Finally got round to painting it and building it up with bits left over from upgrades/scrap in 1990. Been sat around since last year until I finally brought it over. Not a bad ride and I've never seen another.

Last edited by Barton Red; 14th July 2015 at 21:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Some fantastic machines on here. Thought I'd make my own contribution.

The frame for this was given to me by a friend of my Dads who'd given up cycling due to ill health/age in the mid 80s (so I think it's late 60s) Finally got round to painting it and building it up with bits left over from upgrades/scrap in 1990. Been sat around since last year until I finally brought it over. Not a bad ride and I've never seen another.

Work of genius, who was the frame builder? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by sswiss View Post
    Work of genius, who was the frame builder? Any ideas?
    Sadly not, I was only 14 when it was given to me and it didn't occur to me to ask. Weirdly the geometry really works well

If I was a snob I might mention Rule 17...
    At least I'm not clashing.

I'd be worthy of flak if I was wearing a POC helmet and riding a Supersix Evo...

Banned
    At least I'm not clashing.

I'd be worthy of flak if I was wearing a POC helmet and riding a Supersix Evo...
    Somebody needs to review rule 17 ;)

ps, time to edit your default kit selection on Strava.

Somebody needs to review rule 17 ;)

ps, time to edit your default kit selection on Strava.
    Can't help it sorry, I'm a sucker for the colour scheme...

Sorted that, wondered what I had to do to stop defaulting to the Boardman... cheers.

Back in Black
    What is that Kerry? A Tarmac with a Roubaix Zerts seat post, I thought you were a Di2 man through and through?

Banned
    Can't help it sorry, I'm a sucker for the colour scheme...

Sorted that, wondered what I had to do to stop defaulting to the Boardman... cheers.
    NP. I like lime as much as the next guy but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Try some vintage teams stuff perhaps!

Grand Master
    What is that Kerry? A Tarmac with a Roubaix Zerts seat post, I thought you were a Di2 man through and through?
    Tarmac with a Cobl-Gobl-R seatpost on for a bit of comfort, I ride Di2 or Mechanical (remember its all about the legs), go just as fast on any of them just quite like this as I dont need to clean it and it looks 'really mean' ;)
    RIAC

Hi Mark,

Happy to clarify. I'm 73kg and pretty fit now. I wasn't all that fit in March when I purchased the Trek but could quite easily do a 50+ mile sportive in 3hrs as I had been doing loads of spinning on the turbo over the winter to lose weight. Since I purchased the Trek, I have been doing lot of road riding and most pertinently climbing. Going in to the Peak District and doing 5,000 ft of climbing on avg per ride, I also did a 100 mile ride from Manchester to Penrith. I have also purchased a Wahoo Kickr which is incredible for training benefit and a Stages Power Meter for my bike so that I can push myself to my known capability rather than backing off due to perceived physical exertion. I've also added Schwalbe One tubeless tyres to the Trek which transformed it on the flat and downhill, made it faster and far more stable and confidence inspiring. It also naturally rides better as I'm running them at 75psi.

I achieved what I wanted to in terms of endurance and distance, I wanted to go faster. And as I was a lot more flexible than when I started, wanted to get down in to a more aggressive position, so wanted a lower head tube and smaller stack height than the domane.

My one one weak spot was climbing, I could climb, and steadily improved from March, increasing power output and shaving off seconds, but the Trek with discs particularly is a heavy bike 9kg+ and even with 32 teeth on the back and a compact chainset, I found that in 7% + gradients, I was just spinning in the granny gear trying to keep my breathing in check.

The BMC is a pro level frame set, 800g frame weight and a 7kg fully built weight with average DT Swiss wheels. Immediate the bike felt light and lively, and on a regular 14 mile route that I do I went for a shakedown Sunday AM before breakfast and shaved 2 mins off my time. It was faster everywhere but especially on the climbs, I shaved 14 seconds off my PB on a local steep climb and was well down the block all the way up with a long out of the saddle sprint to the finish. Unheard of on the trek, I may have been on the 25 or 28 tooth at best.

That evening I went to the Lake District and tackled up to 25% inclines, again, I was on my lowest gear for these 28 teeth in this case, but still the exertion was much less, the enjoyment was greater and I felt less anxiety all round. The bike was just more fun.

I havent even even got to stiffness, and comfort which are both exceptional, the ride on 23mm clinchers is within 2 tents of my Domane with isospeed and 28mm tubeless. Pretty exceptional.

Here is the review, only marked down half a star due to price. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...lr01-14-48486/

I didn't buy the Dura Ace because I got an exceptional deal on the Ultegra. New with just some handling marks for £2k! List is £3.5k and the Dura Ace is £5,300. My groupset is costing me £800 or thereabouts and I will sell the Ultegra groupset so a net cost of me of much less. If you're interested in it send me a PM.

The allure of a pro level bike (once I sort the wheels) for around £3k is intoxicating.
    That's interesting as I keeping reading about how the weight of the bike doesn't/ shouldn't make a material difference, but its seems to have had a positive impact with you. I realise some of it is down to a better position, marginal gains and all that, but this reinforces my decision to get a light bike at some point in my life.

Master
    Im a Specialized Fanboy of the highest order and I don't rate it!
    (late reply, I know...) ...but I heard Cav doest rate it either, apparently swapping to his "old" bike after the first couple of sprints where he lost out. I read this from one of the journos on twitter, so cant confirm since I have since seen him riding on this new machine. Perhaps he uses his "old" venge just for the sprint stages?

Master
    Back in Black
    Kerry, you just won this thread with that bike! I WANT IT!!!

Jacob - havent read all your posts above in detail, but;

1) NICE bike... very very nice! Great choice!
    2) looking much trimmer & fitter than last time I saw you - well done that man! It's great to see people change like that!

As for changing the new Ultegra to Dura-Ace; I totally understand the vanity aspect and with plenty of disposable cash - why not? But the new Ultegra really is very very good, and certainly from a performance point of view at our sort of level / use, I doubt it's be of any benefit at all...

Just make sure if you do get the Dura-Ace fitted to that AWESOME bike, you need to have the legs and the lungs to keep up with it!

The idiot in me always targets folk on really high-end kit / Rapha wearers** and tries to rip their legs off - I imagine it's like having a red Ferrari - everyone probably tries to race you!

** I wear Rapha (though mostly in the winter / cold-wet)

(late reply, I know...) ...but I heard Cav doest rate it either, apparently swapping to his "old" bike after the first couple of sprints where he lost out. I read this from one of the journos on twitter, so cant confirm since I have since seen him riding on this new machine. Perhaps he uses his "old" venge just for the sprint stages?

Apparently he doesn't rate the brakes on the new one - won't ride it in the rain or mountains.

I spend my life on this Steel 87 Scapin Atec, I treated it to a Dura Ace 7700 groupset a while back, holds its own nicely with the local Carbon boys!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I spend my life on this Steel 87 Scapin Atec, I treated it to a Dura Ace 7700 groupset a while back, holds its own nicely with the local Carbon boys!
    I suspect thats more about the riders than the bikes.

I'm having a midlife crisis and the best way to tackle it doesn't seem to be buing a new watch. I tried all sorts of things, but in the end I quit smoking (eight weeks without a puff come monday) and started exercising. I haven't owned a bicycle in twenty years, if you don't count the army issue bike, and I thought now it would be time again.

I wanted something simple of decent quality, an all-rounder for mostly paved surfaces in an urban environment. So today I went to a couple of bike shops and rode a few examples. In the end I bought a Specialized Daily Sport in a basic setup they had in the store, like this:

Pic from google, I'll see if I have it in me to take some pics in the weekend.

My current commute is some 5 miles and went to reconnoiter the route. I must admit I enjoyed the first four and a half of them. A nice change of pace to jogging. The last half a mile wasn't so enjoyable as my rear tyre went flat. I took the bike back to the store and the chaps there noticed that sidewalls of both tyres had started to break and the rear inner tube was leaking from the inner side. I got new tyres and inner tubes free of charge on the spot. I'm very happy with the service. Nice chaps and very cool and helpful from start to finish with a total numpty like me.

All in all I rode some 15 miles today. My a**e is sore from the saddle and the backs of my legs feel like they'll be sore tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend when I'll have a chance for more.

After all that I opened this thread for the first time. I see this is Watch Talk all over again. All the other kids have nicer toys and they know something about the subject. I think I'll see what's happening here and see if I'll learn something.

I'd be glad to hear some informed opinions about my bike. How did I do? Is it a good one?

Cheers,
    Antti

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

Very nice indeed.