closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Great thanks, yes they look a little sportier, ones in shop looked like should come with a shopping basket!!

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post

Mudguards: the Cruds suit bikes like that very well:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-roadrac...-mudguard-set/
    I have these on my Felt winter/wet bike and they work very well and I found them easy to fit and adjust. Check your frame to tyre clearance though, they work fine with 23mm Schwalbe Luganos but I tried a wheel in with 25mm tyres and it wouldn't fit.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I have these on my Felt winter/wet bike and they work very well and I found them easy to fit and adjust. Check your frame to tyre clearance though, they work fine with 23mm Schwalbe Luganos but I tried a wheel in with 25mm tyres and it wouldn't fit.
    Good point, thanks. Mine are 30mm

Journeyman

Getting dirty in the woods with the love of my life

Morning XC ride Forest of Bere

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    The disc brakes will take a little bedding in - a few long gradual downhills will sort them out, brake and release a few times rather than building up speed and braking hard.

Mudguards: the Cruds suit bikes like that very well:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-roadrac...-mudguard-set/
    If you've got discs go for the Cruds, just bought a set of SKS Raceblades for the Roubaix, they fix in by unscrewing rim brake mountings and fitting brackets, no biggy for rim brakes but a showstopper for discs.

Unfortunately while fitting the above this weekend noted a couple of loose spokes and massive loss of true on back wheel,presumably after hitting a pothole on my night ride during the week. Grrrr.... Fortunately have a very decent LBS.

Just picked my new to me 1978 Gios Torino which I will be using in the 2015 L'Eroica Britannia.

The poor pictures taken with my IPad do not do it justice, it is beautiful and the pantographed parts are just awesome.

[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/carlyrox2012/media/imagejpg4_zps5f41e8e3.jpg.html][/URL

Unfortunately the frame, a 52cm is too small for me so I will be on the look out for a 58 or 60cm and swapping the complete groupset across, as to quote guinea: -

"a proper bike has to have Super Record".

Regards.

Keith.

PS. Before anyone mentions it, yes there is an ironing board in the room together with a clothes horse, the skirting board is IMHO OK and does not require painting and the table is Oak. :)
    Last edited by carlyrox; 28th November 2014 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    Just picked my new to me 1978 Gios Torino which I will be using in the 2015 L'Eroica Britannia.

Goodness me - that's pretty!

I am now a dark shade of green.

Cheers,

MarkC

Thanks for the PM Keith, lovely machine!
    F.T.F.A.

That looks in great nick. Well done.

Pity about the fit :)

L'eroica looks interesting, but the old style contact points don't float my boat.

How's the beard coming along?

Carlyrox that really is very beautiful!

Grand Master
    Keith,

Lets not have any half measures make sure you complete the look

RIAC

Winter ride. :)

Thanks for the comments gents, I cannot wait to get the right size frame and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Keith,

Lets not have any half measures make sure you complete the look

Kerry as much as i would love to, I cannot see myself, (being allowed) growing something like that.

Regards.

Keith.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post

Love this photo!

And I am a committed Roadie (and therefore anti-MTB!)

I put in some suffering today, and feel great. Been home 2 hours now and still feel the glow in the cheeks and the ache in the thighs! Got a great ride planned for tomorrow out into the desolate moorlands, amongst the windfarms.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Which secteur do you have? Mines an Elite with Tiagra (white and red model). Good workhorse. I like the geometry but also like the Specialized Allez geometry so for the Ti bike I've gone for something between the two.
    I would love to see the geo on this. I picked up a secondhand burls that unfortunately has been painted, but is lovely to ride on the commute after a steel PX kaffenback.

Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    Thanks, all accessories swapped from my sirrus, ready for a ride tomorrow.

Not sure what to do about mud guard (rear) the fenders look a bit traditional for me, want something a bit sportier, any ideas?

Also my first bike with disc brakes, don't feel as powerful as I'd hoped, only been round the close though??
    Try portland design works mudguards, they look very nice and come in a matt black which should suit the bike to a T. Also where is the stand from?
    Last edited by samswatch; 29th November 2014 at 20:24.

Will have a look thanks. Wall stand from halfords, was last one in store, was fiver when ran though till :)

Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    Will have a look thanks. Wall stand from halfords, was last one in store, was fiver when ran though till :)
    Will chk them out

Having just ordered my new bike I thought I'd share...

I wanted a bit of a hybrid, something that I could race CX on at the weekend but use everyday on the roads for 'just riding around'. It had to have the appropriate fixings for mudguards, disc brakes and enough clearance for some fairly wide tyres.

Anyway, after a few conversations and a lot of web searching I settled on Independent Fabrications to make it based on their steel Planet X. Booked a fit with Bespoke Cycling in Farringdon and spent 3 hours sorting the geometry, the components and most importantly, the colour.

Went with a Molteni-inspired orange with blue panels and hopefully it'll be here in 2-3 months time!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Having just ordered my new bike I thought I'd share...

I wanted a bit of a hybrid, something that I could race CX on at the weekend but use everyday on the roads for 'just riding around'. It had to have the appropriate fixings for mudguards, disc brakes and enough clearance for some fairly wide tyres.

Anyway, after a few conversations and a lot of web searching I settled on Independent Fabrications to make it based on their steel Planet X. Booked a fit with Bespoke Cycling in Farringdon and spent 3 hours sorting the geometry, the components and most importantly, the colour.

Went with a Molteni-inspired orange with blue panels and hopefully it'll be here in 2-3 months time!

That is going to be epic!

Please share when you receive, it will be the longest 2-3 months ever!

I hope you're going electronic shimano.

You're making a costly mistake if you aren't. I know, I made it last year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I hope you're going electronic shimano.

You're making a costly mistake if you aren't. I know, I made it last year.
    Why do you say that?

The Campagnolo levers have less pull than shimano levers and the discs don't grab as hard. This means any cable stretch or pad wear leaves you with no brakes.

I've tried the TRP Hy/Rd which after a long time of tinkering works for about three days before you need to restart the process and there isn't enough grab to make these any more powerful than normal rim brakes. My MTB hydraulic brakes are several times more powerful.

The BB5s suffer the same problem, but are far easier to set up. The power isn't there and the lack of hydraulics is noticeable.

Shimano electric groupset with hydraulic brakes is the best you can get right now. I'm a Campagnolo fanboy, but I regret buying chorus for this bike, the levers are not adequate for discs.

Going with mechanical Ultegra with hydraulic brakes for this one.

Thought long and hard about electronic but for a cross bike I fully intend to thrash about on, Di2 seemed a bit unnecessary and another grand or so on top which I couldn't really justify.

Banned
    Interesting points guinea, i was not aware of that (dont ride discs). MB, that looks like a great set up. The 6800 stuff is very good indeed by all accounts.

Grand Master
    I have rub Di2 across about 4 bikes over the last 2-3 years and have had no problems and would never go back to cables. It has proved to be precise, relaible and I charge it every 4 months maybe, I left it on a race bike for almost a year and its still at 75% unused and frozen!

Disc brakes would be worth the money if I was decending the Alps, I ahve to be honest and say I have replaced one set of brake blocks in the last 2 years! So I dont think stopping is my problem its getting started.
    RIAC

Banned
    Lol. I replace blocks about 3-4 times a year. Commuting with its stop/starts, london roads and rubbish weather all chow the stuff up quickly.

Thanks for the comments, I'll be sure to post some pics when it (finally) arrives.

If I'd been building a Sunday-best road bike then I'm fairly sure I'd have gone Italian (Pegoretti probably) with Record EPS, Boras and a bigger overdraft but as a more utilitarian build (particularly one with off-road pretensions which I will crash) mechanical fishing gear with hydro discs should do nicely. I've raced CX for a couple of seasons on cantis and frankly in the wet i'd have been better just using my heels to slow down so the promise of reliable braking is one I'm looking forward to.

I think I got through a full set of SwissStop pads in a week in the Pyrenees on alloy clinchers. I'm not sure discs would have been significantly better (the rims brakes were fine and it was dry throughout) but I could have run carbon tubs without fear had I been on discs. Once the UCI allow them in races, weights will come down and they'll be everywhere!

Thought this might be best in this thread ...

... small children and fully grown men have reported that they cannot sleep for thinking about their new bikes and have begged to be allowed to go on them before the big day.

Four-year-old Nathan Muir said: “It’s black with orange handlebars and spokes that light up when you go fast. I’m gonna look so cool.

“I can’t wait to ride it all the way down the hill and make all the big boys totally jealous.”

44-year-old Julian Cook said: “It’s a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT frame in tennis yellow with Rockshox forks and seatpost, an SRAM drivechain with a Raceface crankset, and I am going to look so pro.
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2014121093697

Paul, 44

Just paid the balance on my Burls titanium road bike. Delivery on Tuesday, pictures to follow.

Journeyman
    Looking forward to seeing the pics of the Burls!

Master
    Seriously jealous PipPip, I love his stuff. Been tempted to pull the trigger on a track so many times.

Decided though that I'm going to hang on for my ultimate uberbike, which will have;

Ti frame and forks
    Audax geometry
    Hydraulic discs
    Gates carbon drive
    Hub gears

I have all of the above on various bikes (except the Ti frame) and reckon combining all in one would give me a 'one ring to rule them all'.

I started off thinking I would get discs but talked myself out of it. A fellow cyclist who has had a lot of issues with discs also gave me doubts. I was on a budget too so didn't go completely mad. Spec is:

Custom fit sportive geometry

Ultegra 6800 mechanic groupset

American classic sprint 350 wheels

King inset 7 headset

Easton EC90SL tapered carbon fork

Deda zero 100 seat post, stem and bars

Selle Italia Flite 1990 saddle

Some decent components with room for future upgrades under the wife's radar! Total weight with pedals will be 7.5kgs.

I bought a Rose Pro-SL3000 about 15 months ago when the Ultegra 6800 was just appearing on bikes. It's an excellent groupset and the brakes are superb.
    F.T.F.A.

Justin Burls is a campag man but I'm used to Shimano and liked the look of the new 6800, especially with the 11-32 cassette combined with a compact 50/34 on the front - gives a great spread of gears. So I managed to convince Justin and now he's building the bike he seems happy with them.

Journeyman
    6800 is really a great move forward for Shimano.

I run Sram Force 22 which I love due to the double tap system, but have used 6800 and was very close to putting it on my bike. Force 22 edged it due to weight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Thought this might be best in this thread ...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2014121093697

Paul, 44
    Love it!

Look forward to seeing the pics of the Burls. How long did you have to wait?

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Justin Burls is a campag man but I'm used to Shimano and liked the look of the new 6800, especially with the 11-32 cassette combined with a compact 50/34 on the front - gives a great spread of gears. So I managed to convince Justin and now he's building the bike he seems happy with them.
    This is the gearing I have. When I was looking I was after a 10sp with a 28 low gear, but having that 32 gives almost triple gearing, and I found it useful when I was starting back last year, so much better to spin up the long climbs around here rather than be pushing something a little too high. I see there's a 105 11sp 5800 group out, now that could be good value. That 32 may come in useful for getting up Alpe d'Huez on my 60th in 2017!
    F.T.F.A.

The Burls has taken about 10 weeks from order. Justin normally takes 6-8 weeks but he's been massively busy in the pre-Christmas period so it's taken a few weeks longer. One of the reasons I ordered this time of year was so that the waiting wouldn't be quite so painful given the poor weather. It would be excruciating waiting for a new bike with spring sunshine outside!

So you've decided that next year you'll put in more miles than in 2014 and you're feeling smug. Until you see this...

http://road.cc/content/news/137018-a...ar-record-2015

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    So you've decided that next year you'll put in more miles than in 2014 and you're feeling smug. Until you see this...

http://road.cc/content/news/137018-a...ar-record-2015
    That is fantastic - if he can do it it will be a true achievement - hope he keeps on for the 100000 record too.

I would love to see the "unbreakable" record beaten - a lot of luck required as well as preparation.

Cheers,

MarkC

I decided this last Summer (in a drunken moment) to think it was going to be a good idea to build an old Fixie. Have sourced a Claud Butler steel frame from the 60's and will be a project collecting all the parts. Have most bar the 36H rims, and yet to decide on which size sprocket but have some cracking Campag Record hubs to use. So should be good to go as a build project very soon :)

Pic of steel frame the day in arrived. It's a good size at 24.5 inches.

Probably leave the frame painted as is for the Retro 'Rat' look - undecided.

Hopefully get some pics of the full rebuild in the Spring ;)

Master
    Love the lugwork - proper CB from before it was just a recycled 'heritage' name.

Finally took drlivery of the Burls yesterday. Just been out for a ride. Lovely machine, we nailed the geometry and the ride is silky smooth over the road surface, almost like it floats. Then when you are climbing or want to pick up pace its very snappy while managing to ride like on rails on descents. Really a first class job by Justin. A friend has already had a go at me for black saddle/white bar tape but I like it and its not unusual on a Ti bike. A couple of pics...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419078192.826013.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419078229.984183.jpg

Master
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but this Daily Mail article is unfortunately spot on - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...xkl42HUJXprozQ

That's Burls is amazing. It's like a mini piece of art! I will be in the market for a Ti road bike in a few months and so far had only considered a Van Nicholas and Lynskey and Enigma, but Burts looks interesting too

Not sure what happened to my pics of the Burls but they look very blurred on my iPad. Will try again...

The Burls is really nice especially the welds.