closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 76 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,800 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    How about gravel wheels/tyres on a road bike? Or even, road wheels/tyres on a gravel bike (if you want/need the lower gearing)?

I remember , that article, theres another in the series Im sure:

Gravel wheels on a road bike v Road wheels on a gravel bike.

As others have said decide on the first priority, I have a Genesis Croix de fer Gravel bike, its done about 10,000 miles in the last 4 years. I recon 150 of them were off tarmac! But …….I like the gravel geometry, space for wider tyres and mudguard points. Its a great Oct to April bike, then in May to Sept bring out the carbon or the steel and revel in the speed :)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    theres another in the series Im sure:
    This one?

Master
    I just sold my road bike and I will try with a gravel bike only. I've got some nice lightweight wheels on order, I will put 30mm road tires on those. For the last few years 90% of my riding has been on my gravel bike, and I really like the kind of combination rides where I ride 50/50 on gravel roads and tarmac. A gravel bike with light wheels and fast tires should be great for that. I don't race anymore, so I don't really have the need for pure road bike.

I ride mostly on the road as most of my cycling buddies don't have a gravel bike.

I take the gravel bike on holiday, which opens up a few more routes, and riding solo. Also a less expensive gravel bike works then if leaving it in less secure locations etc

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Really helpful suggestions. Thanks all. Think I’ll explore getting a cheapish gravel bike and a slightly cheaper endurance - best of both - just need to find room for both !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    Really helpful suggestions. Thanks all. Think I’ll explore getting a cheapish gravel bike and a slightly cheaper endurance - best of both - just need to find room for both !
    I'd argue it's the opposite as you'd get to ride a better quality frame/spec all the time by choosing a 'one bike', choose wisely and it'll do both road and gravel to most people's standards. You'll have to update us when you finally decide

I think if it suits your circumstances that's very true.

For me personally I find the wider tyres and reduced higher gears on the gravel bike a bit of an issue on the road

PSA

Some good value at Sports Pursuit on Bombtrack Bikes at the minute

https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=Bombtrack

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Weight saving on the cheap

Although I’m running tubeless I do carry a spare tube, Just in case.

They are big and unwieldy so opted for Tubolito, super light and super compact

Ive read various reviews and stories about these not being especially robust but as a get home spare it keeps my emergency tool kit a lot lighter and smaller.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Although I’m running tubeless I do carry a spare tube, Just in case.

They are big and unwieldy so opted for Tubolito, super light and super compact

Ive read various reviews and stories about these not being especially robust but as a get home spare it keeps my emergency tool kit a lot lighter and smaller.
    Interesting. Have you tested it? Would be annoying if it failed when used for the first time on the road side.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Interesting. Have you tested it? Would be annoying if it failed when used for the first time on the road side.
    That is my concern with those too. With tubeless tires I've never had a puncture that I couldn't fix with a plugger or a foam spray, so the spare tube doesn't get used very often. I'd rather opt for a bit heavier one, just be sure it works when I need it.

The repair sprays are actually so good, that I do shorter gravel rides now without a spare tube.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    That is my concern with those too. With tubeless tires I've never had a puncture that I couldn't fix with a plugger or a foam spray, so the spare tube doesn't get used very often. I'd rather opt for a bit heavier one, just be sure it works when I need it.

The repair sprays are actually so good, that I do shorter gravel rides now without a spare tube.
    I’ve done about 40,000 road miles on tubeless and have needed a tube about 5 times. But I still carry a tube.

Do you carry a pump or CO2 with you on rides?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you carry a pump or CO2 with you on rides?
    Good old fashioned mini pump.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I’ve done about 40,000 road miles on tubeless and have needed a tube about 5 times. But I still carry a tube.
    I've also punctured many times, but never needed a tube. Have you tried those tire repair foams? They work super well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I've also punctured many times, but never needed a tube. Have you tried those tire repair foams? They work super well.
    I have stans no tubes fluid in which seals most punctures, sometime if they don’t seal I insert a plug, occasionally if that fails I have to put a tube in.

Lovely weather for a spin out on the gravel bike yesterday. Bit muddy though.

Blog Entries
    New winter ride arrived this week, ready for this miserable weather to end so can get out next week. Just got to fit pedals, bottle cages, rear fender ready in case needed, and going to put on my super comfy old mountain bike saddle. Riding in winter can be miserable, so why not have a comfy backside to make up for it.

Master
    Smart.

Master

It's a very appealing idea because I'm OCD about weight on long rides (I've been known to weigh AA batteries, the lithium ones are generally lighter by the way) and I always carry a spare. My concern would be that they're reputed to be more difficult to fit, which of course is not what you want miles from home.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    It's a very appealing idea because I'm OCD about weight on long rides (I've been known to weigh AA batteries, the lithium ones are generally lighter by the way) and I always carry a spare. My concern would be that they're reputed to be more difficult to fit, which of course is not what you want miles from home.
    They're no more difficult to fit and certainly save space and weight in the saddle pack. Main issue is cost. Unfortunately I don't know how they are over a long period as I managed to puncture mine the very next ride.

Master
    Thanks! Just ordered one from Amazon. Probably would only use it as a spare. Handy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    New winter ride arrived this week, ready for this miserable weather to end so can get out next week. Just got to fit pedals, bottle cages, rear fender ready in case needed, and going to put on my super comfy old mountain bike saddle. Riding in winter can be miserable, so why not have a comfy backside to make up for it.

Very nice. Let us know how it rides. I’ve been looking at the Endurace recently, but slightly between sizes - small and medium - so not sure it’ll work.

Master
    Didn't know Tudor had a cycle team. Fabian Cacellara in the you tube clip on a BMC. He used to be an IWC guy

So, here’s a question for the hive mind:

If you had the choice, would you buy a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Di2 or a Giant Propel Advanced Pro 0 Di2?

Master
    Blog Entries

If you had the choice, would you buy a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Di2 or a Giant Propel Advanced Pro 0 Di2?
    I had the choice....I chose Canyon Aeroad.....so fast it feels like cheating

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I had the choice....I chose Canyon Aeroad.....
    That looks like a lovely rim brake Aeroad but I’m really looking for thoughts regarding the current models of each - 2022 Aeroad vs the new 2023 Propel.

Master
    What do you hope to get out of the purchase? Ride, aero, nicest colour?

Going to be hard for anyone to answer the question usefully unless they know what you're looking for.

Craftsman

If you can I would find your best fit using known or owned geometries. All things being equal the Canyon. But fit first, always!

I have two rim brake Canyon Aeroad CF SLX.
    One is Ultegra mechanical and the other Dura-Ace Di2.

Both are extremely capable; I often say I’m overbiked but the geometry paired to an ergon road saddle is a perfect package for me.

Look at the sizing before you commit on either.
    Last edited by Byron; 30th January 2023 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    What do you hope to get out of the purchase? Ride, aero, nicest colour?
    Good question(s).

My current bike is an ex-Team Highroad S-Works Tarmac SL3:

It’s a great bike: light, stiff, quick, 1st gen Di2.

But, for my next bike, I guess I’m after something that this isn’t: modern, aero, integrated cockpit, disk brakes, 12 speed.

Both bikes in question tick all of these boxes and although it has it’s known deficiencies (creaking seatpost etc), it’s the Aeroad that I thought that I was settled on. However, the new Propel has thrown a proverbial ‘spanner in the works’. They both cost about the same.

It would be great to ride them both but although the Propel is now available reasonably locally, the Canyon isn’t really available. The closest that I can get is to hire an Ultimate for the day.

Saw this bike repair stand over on HUKD for £23 with code JAN20OFF. I have one and it is excellent quality for little money

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOBBRWS/jobsworth

Thought I’d might be useful for anyone considering maintaining their own bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Saw this bike repair stand over on HUKD for £23 with code JAN20OFF. I have one and it is excellent quality for little money

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOBBRWS/jobsworth

Thought I’d might be useful for anyone considering maintaining their own bike.
    Good spot I think I paid £29 at Aldi. Bike stands are brilliant for servicing your bike. Both hands free , up in the air, brakes gear’s transmission all easily accessible. A great time and laboursaving investment.

Master
    Good question(s).

Both bikes in question tick all of these boxes and although it has it’s known deficiencies (creaking seatpost etc), it’s the Aeroad that I thought that I was settled on. However, the new Propel has thrown a proverbial ‘spanner in the works’. They both cost about the same.

It would be great to ride them both but although the Propel is now available reasonably locally, the Canyon isn’t really available. The closest that I can get is to hire an Ultimate for the day.
    Given both bikes are likely to last you a fair time and are a fair investment I would certainly test ride/ hire equivalents for a 30 plus mile ride over varying roads hills flats etc. Its a nice dilemma to have though :)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Good spot I think I paid £29 at Aldi. Bike stands are brilliant for servicing your bike. Both hands free , up in the air, brakes gear’s transmission all easily accessible. A great time and laboursaving investment.
    I bought mine in Aldi too, about 3 years ago. In Aldi, it is only a promotional item so only available for a limited period.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good question(s).

My current bike is an ex-Team Highroad S-Works Tarmac SL3:

It’s a great bike: light, stiff, quick, 1st gen Di2.

But, for my next bike, I guess I’m after something that this isn’t: modern, aero, integrated cockpit, disk brakes, 12 speed.

I’d get a bike fit and probably go with the Giant as they can fit you. That Specalized looks too small with a lot of seat post and an odd stem set up.

I have a Canyon and I’d recommend for anyone with a mainstream fit but looks like you’d benefit from a good shop that will fit you.

I’d get a bike fit and probably go with the Giant as they can fit you. That Specalized looks too small with a lot of seat post and an odd stem set up.
    Ironically, that set up was straight after a bike fit! (I have subsequently tweaked it a bit, especially the bar angle). The bike was an ‘eBay special’ but it fits me fine. (58cm frame).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ironically, that set up was straight after a bike fit! (I have subsequently tweaked it a bit, especially the bar angle). The bike was an ‘eBay special’ but it fits me fine. (58cm frame).
    The bike looks a little small to me … but if it’s comfortable then replication should be a paperwork exercise so no reason to not buy online.

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Saw this over on HUKD, and thought some who frequent this thread may be interested.

£34 for a Gore cycling jacket!

In black/neon and for a large size only. I have just bought one.

My other Gore cycle jacket was 5 times the price.

There is a women in the photo, but it is definitely a man’s jacket. A guy has put up a photo of him wearing it in the thread, and the Amazon reviews state it is a man’s jacket.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/gor...-large-4086928

Edit - the order confirmation confirm the jacket as men’s.

Anyone else go to the London Bike show, don’t think I’ll be going again

Incoming today to see if I’ll use it and can justify a Brompton. Not the smallest when folded but for £299 it’s seriously good (this colour is £50 off currently).

Grand Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Cleaned and oiled to perfection ready for no one to be able to see it this summer.

One of my all time favourite frameset and colourway.

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 13th April 2023 at 15:01.
    RIAC

See what...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    See what...?
    Reference to the camo paint scheme?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Keep up at the back
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post

Grand Master

Blue Skies and Fat Rims
    RIAC

Very nice - is it a Tarmac SL7?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Very nice - is it a Tarmac SL7?

SL6, Having added a Pro Vibe Carbon Stem & Pro Vibe Carbon Bars the desire for the complicated cockpit of a SL7 do not attract me really.

I still maintain that unless you want to turn a Tarmac into a Gravel Bike or complicate the cockpit then The SL6 is the best bang for buck bike in the Specialized Stables to date
    RIAC

Master
    Nice ride out this morning with a few mates to Buttermere for coffee and a sausage sarnie. Weather was excellent although the wind changed direction alongside Crummock so we had a head wind both ways🙄
    Anybody else get out in the sun?