closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Blog Entries

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

So I know I'm new around these parts however I just got back from a quick loop on my XC bike and I thought I would start a thread for those of us of a cycling persuasion! Would be good to see other people's steeds.

Bit of a background, I got into cycling around age 14, all my part time jobs (3 or 4) were to fund my habit and its all I did for 3/4 years, I worked in a bike shop for most of that time too. I then found beer/women/cars went to Uni and drifted away from it, last year I gave up playing rugby and all of a sudden flung myself back into it head first, I got rather carried away and this is the result...

Firstly my custom built 2013 Ellsworth Evolution 29er, running Fox 34 Float CTDs, XTR 10 speed, Chris King hubs headset and bottom bracket, Thomson stem and seatpost, Easton Haven carbon bars and XTR trail brakes, Charge Ti Spoon, ZTR Flow rims.
    I mainly use this at trail centres etc, spent 3 days last week at Coed Y Brenin which was awesome!

Secondly my Lynskey Pro 29VF which I ordered most of the parts for the last time I was in Afghanistan, fitted with Fox F29 100 CTD, full 9 speed XTR including trail brakes, limited edition purple Chris King hubs, headset and bottom bracket, Easton carbon xc90 sl stem, Easton haven bars, Lynskey Ti seatpost, Charge Ti Knife saddle, ZTR Crest rims, it's my mega fast and light XC weapon.

Thirdly a pretty standard Giant Defy Advanced 2, full Ultegra, Selle Italia SLR saddle but fitted with rather nice Enve 45's on Chris King R45's with Sapim CX Ray spokes.

Banned
    Nothing fancy but we get around

Mine is definitely at the lower end of the scale but it gets me out and about. I love heading out early before the crowds have risen.

Nice and shiny when new, Voodoo Hoodoo

And used as it was designed

My custom Orange 224, the old girl is getting on a bit these days but I wouldn't chop her in for anything else as I just feel so comfortable on her. Plus I'm not racing every weekend anymore these days so she is good enough for what I do.

She is a 2007 model Orange 224 with fox 40 forks, fox DHX 5.0 shock with Ti spring. I'm running SRAM X0 rear mech and shifter with a close ratio 11-24 rear sprocket and a 36 tooth chain ring up front. I have Hope Moto brakes with ventilated disc brakes for riding in the alps and solid disc's for over here as they don't need to shift the heat so much.
    Hope head set, hope ceramic bottom bracket and hope hubs. I run a couple of sets of wheels, hope hubs mounted in halo combat rims as they are wide, strong and a little heavier than normal as they give good stability on big jumps and they shake off some real punishment on big gravity runs. I also run a set of hope hubs on Mavic ... (Can't remember which rims are on there.. Possible 217?) but they are lighter and faster for more pedaly courses. Race face bars, stem and cranks with a MRP chain derive to keep the chain on.

Here is a picture of a mate and I out in Morzine France, riding the other year.

And a little blast down the duel course at chicksands

I have a little Cona Cowan jump/4x bike and a Orange 5 for everything else. (No pictures at the moment sorry)

There is nothing better than going out with your mates for a blast on the bikes.......

Happy riding people :D

New to serious cycling but so far enjoying the journey.

Max distance per ride so far is 35 miles and i keep them to under 2hrs. Will be wanting gradually increase this and sample energy bars/gels etc to keep me going.

My Boardman Hybrid Pro with the only change being the pedals to Shimano 105 Spd SL clipless.

No pretty pics available but this should give you an idea...

From the back:
    Cannondale Six13 (carbon/alu) road bike with full ultegra 10spd
    Cannondale F4000 with full XTR
    Scott G-zero pro XT/XTR, hope discs and, temporarily, a carbon lefty
    1994 MTRAX Ti-4000 that is in the process of becoming my singlespeed

Hiding at the edge of shot is a Scott Strike (carbon version of the G-zero) frame which is being built up with a selection of parts cannibalised from the other bikes (lefty and XTR antway). Once this is completed the G-zero and F4000 will probably be seen on SC...
    Last edited by gunner; 23rd July 2013 at 09:32.

Like Josh, nothing special, but we do put in some decent miles together which is what counts I guess. My Rose which was built to my size and spec.

My hack.

On Ventoux

Best bike. Because while Boras are nice, a proper bike has to have Super Record.

Last edited by guinea; 23rd July 2013 at 10:42.

This one in Spain

This one at home (not usually in the kitchen)

And this one for the road

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My hack.

On Ventoux

Best bike. Because while Boras are nice, a proper bike has to have Super Record.

I'd love the legs to do Mt Ventox, how do you build up this sort of stamina?

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    I'd love the legs to do Mt Ventox, how do you build up this sort of stamina?
    I trained by cycling three laps round Richmond Park hard a minimum of four times a week for about three months.

Once you can average 20mph an hour on bumpy roads, you're ready to do any of the major European climbs. They just take longer the slower/heavier you are.

Grand Master
    I can not enter into this thread as I am embarrassed by fleet
    RIAC

My trusty Kona HeiHei, 15yrs old now. From the depths of winter to the top of Alpe d'Huez. By the way, what are those telescopic contraptions that some of your bikes have?

F.T.F.A.

It's funny - my eyes told me this is a Bianchi because of the colour of the railings behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Nothing fancy but we get around

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It's funny - my eyes told me this is a Bianchi because of the colour of the railings behind it.
    I am sure it was the inspiration for this years Radioshack choice of colour on their Treks!

My new to me toy.

Loving it, though wish it could go faster:)

Regards.

Keith.

Just came back from riding to Paris with these! Mine is on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Seamaster View Post
    Just came back from riding to Paris with these! Mine is on the right.

At last, some small wheels.

My Merlin, built by myself and a friend a few years back. Did the Manchester to Blackpool ride on it the other weekend which was very enjoyable indeed!

Just got back into cycling, was always into mountain biking from being young, then left that, been running past few years, now just started road biking (still running too though!)

Boardman Road Race pretty much standard except for 105 SPDs. Got an incredible deal, couldn't turn it down

Also still got my old mountain - a Univega Alpina 5.7 with deore LX and XT (with thumbshifters!)

Grand Master
    Currently my all year ride but think I have just got a spare team bike from the tour coming so quite excited!

RIAC

I've always lived on or around Cannock Chase so have been knocking around there on bikes for years.
    I'd got an ancient Giant Boulder Shock and pretty much stuck to the fire tracks until my mate introduced me to something called 'singletrack'...
    Now, I'm 46 and this was only about two years ago, but after six months there was no way i could stick with the ancient ride, but having other interests (ie watches!) I couldn't splash the cash too much, so I bought this..

It's a Cube Attention 2012 and I've been very pleased with it.
    I can leave my house, do a lap of 'Follow the Dog' and be home inside 2 hours.
    The Monkey Trail takes somewhat longer and I wish for younger legs sometimes...
    Thoroughly enjoy it though - might have a pop tomorrow night, as I'm free.

Yes - now we're talking!

Currently in my possession....

Road

Race / TT

MTB

Singlespeed

Pub/Hack

Master
    'Tweener.
    First 'off the peg' bike for ages, and it's mint.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Currently my all year ride but think I have just got a spare team bike from the tour coming so quite excited!
    Interesting.... Care to share how? I was trying to get my hands on one! I'm mates with Ian Stannards brother and have been trying to hit him up for one!

Craftsman

Have you got a team issue S-Works coming Kerry??

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Interesting.... Care to share how?
    My Gran knows a bloke down the bingo whose sister goes out with a hairdresser that used to cut the hair of a chap who worked for a bank that once served Dave Brailsford
    RIAC

I bought one of David Millar's team bikes at the end of the season 3 or 4 years ago.

He has the same frame size as me, but the rest of it didn't fit and I wanted to keep it original, so I passed it on to a mate. It also came with cheaper wheels, and since it wasn't campag, it didn't fit the rest of my gear.

Slipstream sell them off at the end of the year way cheaper than you can get one online.

My old Carlton Clubman at Lands End, 1977. I rode down from Durham in about 5 days, staying in youth hostels. Punctured at Darlington in pi$$ing rain at 8am on my way to Selby, but dry from there on. I still have the frame, since renovated and painted by Dave Yates, although not built up for a long while. Happy days........

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

Made to measure Viner Supercross, mostly Dura Ace bits , a legacy from when I used to race

My Dolan, carbon frame, campo record running gear and a fat bloke struggling round Lanzarote IM.

Unfortunately work means I rarely ride it these days, but hopefully will be on it regularly again in the future.

Best

Den

My trusty workhorse Trek 4300 Disc has kept me going for over 5 years. All photos taken in my neighborhoods in Oulu, Finland.

When I'm on the boards:

My 2 bikes used in the Winter

My Torture rack

Blog Entries
    Nothing to compare to some of these here. My Boardman Pro road bike. Try to average 30-40 mile rides most weekends when I'm in the mood over the summer. Best was a 67 mile Audax that was tortuous (by my amateur standard).

Craftsman
    Old Zesty

Current bike, unfortunately not had much use this year!

Just mountain biking for me.. not got into the road riding..

One very old Orange Sub 3 - bought the frame and all the bits.. got lazy and had the local bike shop put it all together.

My Orbea, taken on today's ride.

My Spesh - just completed 1,000 miles on her since the build in March. I keep watching SC for 100thmonkey's Venge to appear ;o)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    My Spesh - just completed 1,000 miles on her since the build in March. I keep watching SC for 100thmonkey's Venge to appear ;o)

you cant have the Venge. she will be mine. yes, she will be mine...

Grand Master
    This might be in the fleet before the months out!

RIAC

Master
    I've got a roadbike (pictured below) and a cheapy mountain bike with a few upgrades on..

The road bike was something I built for my 30th! Having had a few £600 'off the peg' road bikes I decided to spend a bit more cash and also to learn something about bike assembly. Ended up with this:

Picture is a few years old and obviously was taken before the bike was finished (steerer tube not yet cut to size) but it looks exactly the same still :) Not as showy as some of the very nice bikes in this thread but something I was pretty proud of and really enjoy riding!

Here's me, my belly and my Specialized Allez (bought off SC from Ed335d) on a recent ride out in the Monmouth/Chepstow area in the 29deg heat.

Nothing quite as exotic as most of the bikes I've seen on here, but I can barely afford ONE expensive hobby, let alone two!

Here's mine from today's ride, Bath is in the background!! It was hard working getting to this view

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post

Made to measure Viner Supercross, mostly Dura Ace bits , a legacy from when I used to race

Great Picture of you in action
    RIAC

This might be in the fleet before the months out!

I showed this to my wife and she said "ooh, that's in my colours, buy it!", thinking it was on SC. When I told her it wasn't, I think she considered divorcing me so she could buy it with the settlement. Shame the settlement wouldn't even pay for one of the wheels...

What a great thread.

I've always cycled quite a bit as part of triathlon events and training i've done, but last year decided to do something a bit different so last week completed my first London to Paris cycling event. 300 miles ('ish) in 4 days, coinciding with the last stage of the Tour de France in Paris on Sunday.

Some pictures below, mostly taken on my GoPro:

Picture stop at Chantilly Chateau

And my bike...

Drafted him for a while before finally taking him!!!

Arriving at the Louvre!

And the finish!!!
    Last edited by shinzomaeda; 24th July 2013 at 22:33.

Craftsman
    Great set of shots there! Looks like a perfect trip, great weather and the tour was in town!

Quote Originally Posted by shinzomaeda View Post

Some pictures below, mostly taken on my GoPro:
    Great pictures - I had no idea that a Go-Pro could produce still images of that quality. As a matter of interest can you show a link to some video footage taken from the handlebars - I'd like to get an idea of how affected it is by vibration from the bike frame? Obviously most people stick these things on their helmets, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    Also still got my old mountain - a Univega Alpina 5.7 with deore LX and XT (with thumbshifters!)

My first 'decent' MTB was a Univega, an Alpina 5.5 to be precise. Absolutely loved it (used to keep it in my bedroom) and it was passed on to more than one friend after it left my possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Great pictures - I had no idea that a Go-Pro could produce still images of that quality. As a matter of interest can you show a link to some video footage taken from the handlebars - I'd like to get an idea of how affected it is by vibration from the bike frame? Obviously most people stick these things on their helmets, so to speak.
    Hi, sure, I'll upload a video to YouTube and post the link here, will be tomorrow now.