closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 2,000 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    I too am unconvinced by the bar tape. But other than that a very smart looking bike.

Slept like a baby last night. I was so tired when I got home that I didn't notice the distance before clicking the end ride button. Raging - would have gone up and down the road to get to 37 miles!

Master
    What's the significance of 37 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    What's the significance of 37 miles?
    Seems like a waste to end on 36.9, would have much preferred 37. Then at least I could say I've done 37 miles and not 36.

Bye bye Lynskey, hello Cipollini...

Cipollini Bond Disc
    Prime Black Edition 50mm
    SRAM etap HRD
    Selle Italia C59
    Continental 5000s (with tubes)
    7.5kg (incl. pedals,2x bottle cages, garmin mount)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    When I say indoor bike I mean on display in the dining room. I’d never put that on a turbo. 😳
    Good to hear that. Well I did say it was a work of art :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got up at 4.30am yesterday and drove to Newmarket where I competed in the first open time trial after lockdown. It was the Shaftesbury CC 50 mile TT. There was a one way system in operation at the HQ for when you signed on and picked up your disposable number. 120 riders off at minute intervals from 6.01am so not everybody arrives at the same time. When I signed on there were only two of us in there. My start time was 7.38am. You had to arrive at the start timekeeper within 5 minutes of your start time. Normally somebody holds you up at the start as the clock ticks down to your start but this time we had to start with one foot on the ground with the timekeeper sat on the opposite side of the road. Perfect sport for social distancing because you aren't allowed to draft other riders. Pass the finish, which I did in exactly 1hour 45 minutes and 42 seconds after I started, then sign out & go home. Not vastly different from normal except you don't get a cup of tea & cake & an endorphin fuelled chat with the other competitors. Good to be racing again.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I got up at 4.30am yesterday and drove to Newmarket where I competed in the first open time trial after lockdown. It was the Shaftesbury CC 50 mile TT. There was a one way system in operation at the HQ for when you signed on and picked up your disposable number. 120 riders off at minute intervals from 6.01am so not everybody arrives at the same time. When I signed on there were only two of us in there. My start time was 7.38am. You had to arrive at the start timekeeper within 5 minutes of your start time. Normally somebody holds you up at the start as the clock ticks down to your start but this time we had to start with one foot on the ground with the timekeeper sat on the opposite side of the road. Perfect sport for social distancing because you aren't allowed to draft other riders. Pass the finish, which I did in exactly 1hour 45 minutes and 42 seconds after I started, then sign out & go home. Not vastly different from normal except you don't get a cup of tea & cake & an endorphin fuelled chat with the other competitors. Good to be racing again.
    Impressive
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear that. Well I did say it was a work of art :-)
    It is treated as an artwork not a bicycle. It’s the only bike I have ever owned that is going up in value.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Impressive
    Thanks Kerry. I think it'll be a while before we can road race again. Social distancing there is not so easy and there are always the inevitable snot rockets from riders in front of you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is treated as an artwork not a bicycle. It’s the only bike I have ever owned that is going up in value.
    That groupset alone is like a 4 digit Rolex. They aren't making any more...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here is my indoor bike.

1984 Pinarello Montello – Cromovelato Aqua Blue with Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Groupset

More images here. https://www.redvelo.co.uk/vintage-pi...ntellos/blue/#

Oh man, I just checked out that link. Excellent. Very impressive, you must be very proud of that bike :-)

Master
    Looks like it's been ridden a bit here and there. Was it L'eroica or something like that?

Gorgeous.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh man, I just checked out that link. Excellent. Very impressive, you must be very proud of that bike :-)
    Thanks, I have considered selling it to buy a watch ... it’s kind of in that category of a luxury item you don’t really need.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Looks like it's been ridden a bit here and there. Was it L'eroica or something like that?

Gorgeous.
    Yes, I went to the first 3 Eroica events in the UK, they were great events although the 3rd on was marred by awful weather.

There are write up one the event on my site.

Here is the first one.

https://www.redvelo.co.uk/cycling/le...d-review-2014/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Sounds like Triggers broom! , Ti frameset Durace chainset, that will be a smooth ride and last you forever.
    Haha it is a bit of a bitsa. Must admit that's how I justified it, something to grow into but also something to last me.

I too am unconvinced by the bar tape. But other than that a very smart looking bike.
    Yeah I think it'll wear the bar tape for a bit then I'll swap it for something less lairy. Thanks!

Craftsman
    Picked up a nice little project to work on with my 10 year old son

It was sat outside a neighbour of my mother in law! I checked with the owner who assures me that the bike has not been crashed. I ended up giving him £50, I couldn’t take it for free!

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Assuming there's nothing major wrong with it that's a steal.

Craftsman
    Thanks, I have considered selling it to buy a watch ... it’s kind of in that category of a luxury item you don’t really need.
    That rear triangle is far shinier than any Rolex I own. Certainly a work of art.

Master
    28 mph ! I rode a 100 miles yesterday, took me 7:10 mins, a bit lower than your avg! Well done , good effort

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    That rear triangle is far shinier than any Rolex I own. Certainly a work of art.
    Given the bike is 35 years old the chrome is in fantastic condition.

Master
    Blog Entries
    28 mph ! I rode a 100 miles yesterday, took me 7:10 mins, a bit lower than your avg! Well done , good effort
    Thanks. The winner averaged 31.8mph & took 11 minutes out of me!

Well done on your 100 miler. That's a long way on a bike. Good time too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. The winner averaged 31.8mph & took 11 minutes out of me!

Well done on your 100 miler. That's a long way on a bike. Good time too.
    Impressive times, E2 I assume?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Impressive times, E2 I assume?
    Correct. I've got my 30 mile, 50 mile & 100 mile PBs on there at 58:36, 1:41:41, & 3:32:58 respectively. It's an extremely fast bit of road on a bike as long as you don't mind dual carriageways and HGVs

Master
    Blog Entries
    Correct. I've got my 30 mile, 50 mile & 100 mile PBs on there at 58:36, 1:41:41, & 3:32:58 respectively. It's an extremely fast bit of road on a bike as long as you don't mind dual carriageways and HGVs
    I raced on it a few times but concluded it was not a place I wanted to ride a bike; soon after a club mate was almost killed racing on the E2, luckily he survived but it was a long recovery for him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I raced on it a few times but concluded it was not a place I wanted to ride a bike; soon after a club mate was almost killed racing on the E2, luckily he survived but it was a long recovery for him.
    I find it more dicey on single carriageway courses where traffic can try & squeeze past you when it's not safe to do so. We were all off the E2 by 9.30am on a Sunday morning so it's very quiet, and most of us have lights you can see literally a mile away. There's always the chance that some driver is in the middle of texting and drives through you though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Might be worth having a look at the VanMoof X3.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Wow what a bike, from potentially the Apple or Tesla of Ebikes. No Shimano Mavic SRAM Etc , just their minimalist design. At present only one “ hub” in London. Will be interesting to see how they develop, as I understand they have knocked 30% of the rrp in 2020.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find it more dicey on single carriageway courses where traffic can try & squeeze past you when it's not safe to do so. We were all off the E2 by 9.30am on a Sunday morning so it's very quiet, and most of us have lights you can see literally a mile away. There's always the chance that some driver is in the middle of texting and drives through you though.
    The E2 is very popular so I guess lots of people are happy to ride it. It’s not for me. I’m only racing closed roads events now.

I did like riding the E2 but a couple of close passes from HGVs made me decide not to carry on with it.

Master
    New tyres.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The E2 is very popular so I guess lots of people are happy to ride it. It’s not for me. I’m only racing closed roads events now.

I did like riding the E2 but a couple of close passes from HGVs made me decide not to carry on with it.
    Oh for sure that'd be ideal. There's practically none of them though. Not TT's at any rate. I've done the closed circuit TT Champs at Thruxton every year which is nice. Bloody hard work though without passing traffic!

Last few years I've been mainly road racing which is safer from a traffic risk point of view. It's a lot easier than a time trial as well. A TT is always hard...if it isn't you could have gone faster. In a road race you're trying to do as little as possible a lot of the time and tactics and cunning come into play!

New tyres.

Very sexy colour scheme

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Not bad at all.

Have to ask though; can you actually use the drops? The angle they are at is a bit 'different' to say the least. If I tried sprinting on the drops with an angle like that I'd dislocate my wrists and elbows.

Master
    Not bad at all.

Have to ask though; can you actually use the drops? The angle they are at is a bit 'different' to say the least. If I tried sprinting on the drops with an angle like that I'd dislocate my wrists and elbows.
    Yes, no problem at all. Possibly because I have longish arms, not sure. That handlebar geometry was arrived at after a lot of careful experimentation, though I'm more interested in endurance than aerodynamics.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh for sure that'd be ideal. There's practically none of them though. Not TT's at any rate. I've done the closed circuit TT Champs at Thruxton every year which is nice. Bloody hard work though without passing traffic!

Last few years I've been mainly road racing which is safer from a traffic risk point of view. It's a lot easier than a time trial as well. A TT is always hard...if it isn't you could have gone faster. In a road race you're trying to do as little as possible a lot of the time and tactics and cunning come into play!
    I’m Lucky as we have a 2 mile track near me and there is a club TT there every week. 10s and 25s. The 25s suffer with a bit of bunching but it’s ok.

People underestimate the benefit traffic creates which is why some busy courses are fast. The HGVs on the E2 give you a massive boost, bit nuts to ride a bike wanting to get buzzed by loads of HGVs but some people will do anything for a PB.

Not bad at all.

Gunslinger style!

Master
    This is my summer workhorse, pictured on Swarkestone Bridge last night. It's a shame the bales of hay weren't purple. I could have had a bit of fun with a caption.

Master
    Treated myself to a scoot up Ventoux (the "easy" Sault way up) for my 56th birthday, as bucket list climbs go it's right up there

Here's my Defy from Tuesday evening's ride.

New tyres.

Very nice, but how can you live with the tyre labels not aligned with the valves, I don’t know...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Very nice, but how can you live with the tyre labels not aligned with the valves, I don’t know...

+1

Grand Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

New tyres.

Twins
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 26th July 2020 at 08:14.
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Sounds like Triggers broom! , Ti frameset Durace chainset, that will be a smooth ride and last you forever.
    Love the litespeed ti frames I have the ocoee mountain bike

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Twins
    And much as I absolutely love this bike I will need to make room so its going to be for sale shortly... maybe !
    RIAC

Master
    Did I need another bike? Nope.

Did I buy another bike? Yep!

Classic N+1

When I lived in London I used to commute in to work on a Langster and have regretted selling it, so that has now been rectified

Master
    Nice. I'd like a Langster or something similar for a pub / social bike

Grand Master

N+1. A healthy hobby!
    RIAC

Still riding the Cube, but now with a set of Edco Aerosport Umbrial dB 45s. I can’t honestly say I know much about carbon wheels, they were a secondhand bargain, are no lighter than the DT Swiss R32s they replaced but are (I guess) more aero. It is however still my legs that have to do all the work.

We got Mrs John a Cannondale Quick at the start of lockdown - so I had to get a secondhand one too. Nice bike, 2x9 Sora, Cannondale’s CAAD frame and carbon fork, internal cable routing, and it goes well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Did I need another bike? Nope.

Did I buy another bike? Yep!

Classic N+1

When I lived in London I used to commute in to work on a Langster and have regretted selling it, so that has now been rectified

That looks mighty quick and agile

Grand Master

Just popped these on SC! Bonkers fast.
    RIAC

Master
    No good for me on the flinty, chalky bridleways up to the SDW ;-)