closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 65 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

Anybody know where this is & where it’s taken from?
    A familiar sight from the A19, nice to see a different view.

Craftsman

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

I rode from Stokesley to Helmsley & back last week & noticed that Bilsdale Mast wasn’t there any more :-(

I know they had a fire there recently so I guess it got dismantled.

The photo I posted with the green telephone box was taken near there. Fangdale Beck actually. It even has a telephone in it!

Not the best picture but these were the remains of the mast last time I was up there on the mountain bike. I was hoping to grab a piece as a souvenir but there was 24hr security! It was a bit sad seeing it like that, I’ve ran, ridden and flown around it most of my life and as I’ve mentioned earlier, it was always a sign of being nearly home when I saw it.
    I thought I recognised that phone box by the way. Fangdale Beck marks the start of some brutal climbs to get back over to the Osmotherley side of the moors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 26th November 2021 at 22:21.

Master
    Just picked this up locally
    Needs just a little tlc
    Whyte by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post

Not the best picture but these were the remains of the mast last time I was up there on the mountain bike. I was hoping to grab a piece as a souvenir but there was 24hr security! It was a bit sad seeing it like that, I’ve ran, ridden and flown around it most of my life and as I’ve mentioned earlier, it was always a sign of being nearly home when I saw it.
    I thought I recognised that phone box by the way. Fangdale Beck marks the start of some brutal climbs to get back over to the Osmotherley side of the moors.

Wow, thanks for that. Might have been tricky carrying a section of that on a MTB!

I've never been up close to it like that but I might have a ride up there next time I'm visiting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good weather for riding indoors today.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Good weather for riding indoors today.

Newport or Manchester?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Newport or Manchester?

London.

Our club managed to hire the track for 2 hours; really good fun. I used to race on the Harlow track in the late 80s and it's great to have a go every now and then. Wish I had one more locally.

Master
    Love that velodrome shot! I'm currently doing 2 sessions a week at Newport, have ridden the velodrome for a few years and it never feels less than a massive privilege. First derny session recently which was mental.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    London.

Our club managed to hire the track for 2 hours; really good fun. I used to race on the Harlow track in the late 80s and it's great to have a go every now and then. Wish I had one more locally.
    Ah, they all look very similar. I believe that they were all designed by the late great Ron Webb so that's hardly surprising.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah, they all look very similar. I believe that they were all designed by the late great Ron Webb so that's hardly surprising.
    I’ve also ridden at Calshot which is 166m so much tighter, great fun.

Master
    Derby is pretty different too, not ridden at London or Manchester but guess they're pretty similar to Newport.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Just got my first bike in over 20 years. My options were a little limited as I need XXL frame. Had a fantastic wet and muddy ride this morning!

Sent using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Just got my first bike in over 20 years. My options were a little limited as I need XXL frame. Had a fantastic wet and muddy ride this morning!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Are you the jolly green giant?

Grand Master

Ive seen smaller Penny Farthings
    RIAC

6'5"

Sent using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    using a belt drive in London as daily commute. that and internal gear hub makes it hassle free for the winter. loving it

Master
    Built both of these myself as a part of trying to rehabilitate my right arm following an accident last October. The rim brake version hasn’t been out yet. Done a little bit on the disc GTD, still struggle a bit in traffic.

Last edited by neebsta; 27th December 2021 at 23:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    Built both of these myself as a part of trying to rehabilitate my right arm following an accident last October. The rim brake version hasn’t been out yet. Done a little bit on the disc GTD, still struggle a bit in traffic.

Well done for the motivation. Looking at the photos the builds look similar. Is the intention to make one more gravel light off road oriented. I saw the Zipp wheels and guessed they were built for speed rather than rufty tufty work.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well done for the motivation. Looking at the photos the builds look similar. Is the intention to make one more gravel light off road oriented. I saw the Zipp wheels and guessed they were built for speed rather than rufty tufty work.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Thank you.

The disc version was built primarily for the road, the picture has 28mm Conti GP tyres, though I do have another set of Zipp wheels with 34c Gravel Kings fitted. I found that the frame size on this frame is the best fitting frame I have ever had, I did manage a century ride in August. I’m 6’3” but with a long torso and shorter legs, so buying a perfect fit frame isn’t straight forward.

The GFTI (Rim brake) was built just to be a bit lighter and quicker around the flats, I’m a bit of a sprinter at heart. Plus it seemed a great excuse to buy another bike - n+1. I also really enjoy building bikes, I’ve built so many over the last 30 years, I’ve actually lost count.

My primary aim was to set up two bikes with the exact same geometry. I’m also a bit of a Zipp fan 😎

Bikes are my first love, much more so than watches.

Cheers

Neil

Master
    Hi Steve,

Thank you.

The disc version was built primarily for the road, the picture has 28mm Conti GP tyres, though I do have another set of Zipp wheels with 34c Gravel Kings fitted. I found that the frame size on this frame is the best fitting frame I have ever had, I did manage a century ride in August. I’m 6’3” but with a long torso and shorter legs, so buying a perfect fit frame isn’t straight forward.

The GFTI (Rim brake) was built just to be a bit lighter and quicker around the flats, I’m a bit of a sprinter at heart. Plus it seemed a great excuse to buy another bike - n+1. I also really enjoy building bikes, I’ve built so many over the last 30 years, I’ve actually lost count.

My primary aim was to set up two bikes with the exact same geometry. I’m also a bit of a Zipp fan 

Bikes are my first love, much more so than watches.

Cheers

Neil
    100% agree for me 2021 saw two incomings and nothing sold :). A lad I ride with has 35 bikes mostly classics and weird period TT bikes. Whenever I think about reducing the fleet, I think of him!

Steve

Master
    100% agree for me 2021 saw two incomings and nothing sold :). A lad I ride with has 35 bikes mostly classics and weird period TT bikes. Whenever I think about reducing the fleet, I think of him!

Steve
    That’s a great idea! I’ve had 6 bikes leave and 3 arrive in 2021 - so that’s pretty good for me 😎.

Blog Entries
    These just arrived in the post, BORG45's from Malcolm at Cycle Clinic. Now waiting for warmer weather so can bring the road bike out of hibernation and get these fitted.

Master
    This is a nice thing, isn't it? New carbon seat post for my Planet X. The clamp on the old (alloy) one had started to slip and I'd started to worry that my sexual health might be compromised, ironically due to my saddle becoming too erect during a long ride.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B091YNMZ9B/

I might be coming into a little extra cash...

Hmm, GoCycle or Speedmaster Schumacher???

Last edited by pacifichrono; 11th February 2022 at 08:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    These just arrived in the post, BORG45's from Malcolm at Cycle Clinic. Now waiting for warmer weather so can bring the road bike out of hibernation and get these fitted.

Just spotted this albeit a bit late. I bought a set of Malcolm Borgs wheels ( only 26 mm deep) following recommendations off here last yeR. Stunning wheels literally straight out of the box and improved the speed of my bike sufficiently to smash some pb’s . Did you go tubeless too?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    @PC

The Gocycle is great fun to ride, my brother has one which I tried and loved it. Not sure I would buy one over a watch though

You could of course get the bike and a Breitling all in one.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Blog Entries
    Just spotted this albeit a bit late. I bought a set of Malcolm Borgs wheels ( only 26 mm deep) following recommendations off here last yeR. Stunning wheels literally straight out of the box and improved the speed of my bike sufficiently to smash some pb’s . Did you go tubeless too?
    Great to hear the postive feedback. Yes tubeless here, although they wheels are still sat in the box. My road bike is still tucked away in winter hibernation, and I've been using my gravel bike all winter, but next month when spring hits I'll be out on it in vengeance. Can't wait to try these out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Great to hear the postive feedback. Yes tubeless here, although they wheels are still sat in the box. My road bike is still tucked away in winter hibernation, and I've been using my gravel bike all winter, but next month when spring hits I'll be out on it in vengeance. Can't wait to try these out.
    Same here , gravel plus mudguards for me. Carbon tucked up complete with Borg Wheels until late March.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    @PC

The Gocycle is great fun to ride, my brother has one which I tried and loved it. Not sure I would buy one over a watch though

You could of course get the bike and a Breitling all in one.

They say beauty is in the eye of the the beholder

Blog Entries
    Same here , gravel plus mudguards for me. Carbon tucked up complete with Borg Wheels until late March.
    Yup full mudguards here too. Actually to be fair the weather this winter hasn't been too bad, seen very few gravel bikes on the roads and lots of normal road bikes. Love that first ride on the carbon with all that weight, winter types and mud guards chopped off.

New bike this week. Weather nice today, so out shortly for it's maiden ride. It's the short travel version (100mm) not the trail one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    New bike this week. Weather nice today, so out shortly for it's maiden ride. It's the short travel version (100mm) not the trail one.

I have a somewhat dated Giant Anthem 80mm front and rear. It makes my 150 mm Yeti feel ponderous . There is something to be said for short travel bikes and that Santa cruz at 100 mm looks right on the money to me , enjoy

Steve

My new (to me) ride. Picked it up this afternoon and had a play with the shock settings and a quick blast on it. It’s lighter than the 2007 Yeti 575 it replaces and pedals really well.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    My new (to me) ride. Picked it up this afternoon and had a play with the shock settings and a quick blast on it. It’s lighter than the 2007 Yeti 575 it replaces and pedals really well.

I'm liking that!

Master
    I didn't think I'd be an e-bike guy, but I've had so much fun with this bike lately! It's still winter here, so spike tires on the bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I didn't think I'd be an e-bike guy, but I've had so much fun with this bike lately! It's still winter here, so spike tires on the bike.

I’m intrigued by the idea of an e-mtb. But I always get confused by motor specs, assuming you have to have the best and most powerful (and presumably heaviest). What sort of motor does that one have?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I’m intrigued by the idea of an e-mtb. But I always get confused by motor specs, assuming you have to have the best and most powerful (and presumably heaviest). What sort of motor does that one have?
    This not the most powerful and heavy, this is the Orbea Rise (mine is the M-Team version) with the Shimano EP8 RS engine. The bike weight with regular tires in my size is a little over 18kg, which is very light weight for an ebike. It feels like a regular good trail bike, but it's just faster!-) There will surely be more lightweight bikes coming soon.

I don't have anything against the most powerful and heavy ebikes, they are just a different category, they feel a little like motorbikes. The riding technique is also different for those.

If you are seriously considering an e-mtb, you should definitely go and test ride a few.

This not the most powerful and heavy, this is the Orbea Rise (mine is the M-Team version) with the Shimano EP8 RS engine. The bike weight with regular tires in my size is a little over 18kg, which is very light weight for an ebike. It feels like a regular good trail bike, but it's just faster!-) There will surely be more lightweight bikes coming soon.

I don't have anything against the most powerful and heavy ebikes, they are just a different category, they feel a little like motorbikes. The riding technique is also different for those.

If you are seriously considering an e-mtb, you should definitely go and test ride a few.
    The Shimano EP8 RS is the top of the food chain in the emtb world.

I have a somewhat dated Giant Anthem 80mm front and rear. It makes my 150 mm Yeti feel ponderous . There is something to be said for short travel bikes and that Santa cruz at 100 mm looks right on the money to me , enjoy

Steve
    Thanks Steve. My current (well now previous!) carbon stumpjumper is 150mm travel. Been out on the Santa Cruz today and it just felt brilliant. Can't work out if part of it is psychological but it definitely felt faster and lighter as well. Just a lovely thing to get out on. Was going to keep the Specialized but will probably try and sell it now.

Wow - that's light for an emtb. they have come a long way. The Orbea ones are lovely as well, yours looks great.

Master
    Had this for a few weeks now although the recent bad weather hasn’t encouraged me to use it much.

It will never really be used in anger on trails. I just find it makes longer rides out along country lanes much easier, and more pleasurable. Hills no longer exist .

First gen Santa Cruz blur fit my good bike ,
    Love it ..

Grand Master

RIAC

Old faithful is certainly doing her duty.

I may have lost some of the local bike paths in the floods here (Eastern Australia) this week but nothing is stopping me getting round to friends, family and a few strangers to help with the clean up!! Roads are shut and traffic is chaos and these two wheels go where they please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Old faithful is certainly doing her duty.

I may have lost some of the local bike paths in the floods here (Eastern Australia) this week but nothing is stopping me getting round to friends, family and a few strangers to help with the clean up!! Roads are shut and traffic is chaos and these two wheels go where they please.
    I like that. Is it a CX bike with the canti brakes? Also, a great helmet choice. A POC helmet probably saved my life when I was hit by a car in October 2020. It smashed the helmet but no head injury.

I like that. Is it a CX bike with the canti brakes? Also, a great helmet choice. A POC helmet probably saved my life when I was hit by a car in October 2020. It smashed the helmet but no head injury.
    You got it. Nice Reynolds 853, with "custom" paint courtesy of the kids when little (they told me plain orange was boring so I let them do their thing), built up from an assortment of spares. Great rainy day bike and also fun on the odd detour down some MTB tracks and other random adventures.

Glad your head held up okay!!! Certainly some quality headwear from POC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    You got it. Nice Reynolds 853, with "custom" paint courtesy of the kids when little (they told me plain orange was boring so I let them do their thing), built up from an assortment of spares. Great rainy day bike and also fun on the odd detour down some MTB tracks and other random adventures.

Glad your head held up okay!!! Certainly some quality headwear from POC.
    Certainly agree re POC. Whilst they don’t offer a crash replacement, I sent them pictures and they gave me a decent discount. A really great company to deal with.

I decided to trade my Sondors ebike for a GoCycle GX ebike. Got a helluva good deal on it, too! I found the Sondors to be too heavy (~75 pounds) and quite top heavy (tippy). This GoCycle only weighs 38.8 pounds and has a low COG, as you can see. Photo an hour ago...75 degrees F in San Diego. You might notice the GoCycle has one-legged "forks" to save weight and simplify removing wheels.

The 500W motor is in the front hub!
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 12th March 2022 at 17:59.

Did some hill work this week

Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    What a bike! Lovely

I've got the M-team LTD which with the Vittoria tyres is probably lighter still. Although less power, I've no problem keeping up with people on full-fat MTBs. I've noticed a reduction is range over the winter months, so guess even more so for you in Finland?

Gratuitous photo -