closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Banned
    I suggest looking at the road rather than your handlebars but thats just me...

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Here is my commuter bike, I had enough of the Spesh Langster with setting up the chain and kept getting punctures..

A new bike because you were fed up with punctures? Just fit some Schwalbe Durano Plus and say goodbye to punctures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Just fit some Schwalbe Durano Plus and say goodbye to punctures.
    ...and ride quality, grip and...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae View Post
    You've clearly never ridden London roads! The roads here are so poor that ride quality is abysmal whatever you do unfortunately. Takes a toll on the components too I can tell you.

i ride continental 4 seasons from autumn through spring and then usually am in need for a new set. The fair weather tyres are either continental 4000s or Michelin race pros (a lovely tyre to ride those).

what are your recommendations?

It's his commuter! Yes the Duranos give a firmer ride and they are heavier so you get a better workout. Grip is not too bad though. And they rarely puncture at all. I'm willing to bet they'd give a better ride and grip than what he has on that bike too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    ...what are your recommendations?
    Hey, I've ridden FMB, Dugast and Vittoria SC in London, the continent and Oz for years. Never had the problems you describe. Maybe I'm lucky.
    Generally, I refuse to ride it unless it's tubular and a quality tubular at that.

Banned
    Hey, I've ridden FMB, Dugast and Vittoria SC in London, the continent and Oz for years. Never had the problems you describe. Maybe I'm lucky.
    Generally, I refuse to ride it unless it's tubular and a quality tubular at that.
    Maybe I should try tubs. I always travel light but with a spare tube and puncture repair kit. I've had days (thankfully rare) where I've had 2 or more punctures in one commute. My all time record is 5! (And I am not a gutter rider either.) Don't really fancy the idea of carrying a spare tyre.

But punctures aside, my point is more about the road quality. It is a patchwork of potholes, shoddy repairs, awful surfaces and debris.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    A new bike because you were fed up with punctures? Just fit some Schwalbe Durano Plus and say goodbye to punctures.
    I had enough of punctures with the Gatorskins I had, but being 23c I was asking for it on the commute, then the chain always needs setting up and adjusting otherwise it would come off, I had the bike over a year. Had upgraded most things on it and just hated going down a hill on my way to work with no brakes in the wet.... Rim brakes are fine but can be scary in the wet.

I now have Spesh 28c tyres with puncture protection also and not had any punctures for over a year, riding the same roads and more but I had had 2 crashes instead so it kind of balances it out I guess.

I may be about to screw things over for myself, but I've done 3k on continental 4 seasons without incident. These ride well.

I think on the commuter I'll be riding them all year.

I also have Boras with tubs. I honestly prefer my Shamals with Michelin pro race.

Banned
    Im on 25mm 4 seasons. Very happy with them.

Master
    I use 28mm 4 Seasons on my crosser for tow paths, gravel tracks etc in the summer. They do seem very robust and puncture resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I may be about to screw things over for myself, but I've done 3k on continental 4 seasons without incident. These ride well.
    What happened on the very next commute?

Pinch flat on a little crack in the road I've ridden over dozens of times.

Meh.

Master
    Sods law that one!

Master
    Can u repair tubs on the road? i was out with a group on Saturday and one rider with tubs had a puncture and ended up calling his support vehicle (wife)!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Can u repair tubs on the road? i was out with a group on Saturday and one rider with tubs had a puncture and ended up calling his support vehicle (wife)!
    I ride with one of the best teams in Uk and bike shops and non of us use tubs less races only and even then its with a support vehicle, once you are averaging 42kmh then maybe!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Depends.
    If it's just a small hole then some latex sealant usually does the trick. If it's bigger and the sealant doesn't work then it's easier to rip the old tub off and fit a replacement. Takes no longer than a clincher, although the new tub is never as well glued on at the old one so it's worth taking it a bit more careful on the way home.
    I tend to carry a really lightweight Tufo tub under my saddle which would get me home but I wouldn't want to leave on.
    If that one goes and the sealant doesn't work then I am left calling the support team.

New shinyness.... Surly Karate Monkey OPS build...

Master
    Very nice!!! I think next year I will have to get a "steel" framed mtb!

Must be time for some more small wheel offerings

Just been sorting out my garage with new travel arrangements in the offing. Sold the big wheelers keeping the wifes 1995 almost as new Brompton L3. Added a 2 year old Brompton M3 and changed a few things to suit me particular tastes - Brooks Swift leather saddle, Carradice cape role and front bag. Rides very nicely - just returned from a beer run to Waitrose on it in fact.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just back from a quick spin before the wife wakes up... Thought this was quite fun...

Master
    Just getting ready to head out to Arundel market, hoping the paths aren't too muddy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    ...although the new tub is never as well glued on at the old one so it's worth taking it a bit more careful on the way home.
    Dunno about that. I think it depends on the original glue job, the spare's prep work and a bit of care and luck on the day. I changed out a rear on the road about six months ago. At the time I was feeling pretty chuffed for getting the spare on so straight (better than I've ever done at home, even with a truing/gluing stand) yet annoyed that I'd have to take it off when home and do it all over again and likely lose that nice straight setup. Yet, when arriving home and trying to peel off the spare (it was a new tyre and the same as what I took off) and then put a nice fresh layer of glue down, the damn thing was so well attached there was no need whatsoever to remove it. It's still on the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    This is in fact my third Fondriest.
    Heh. Join the club. My current three represent my third, fourth and fifth (though number one and two have gone). Maurizio has had a decent amount of positive influence on the company's offerings. He's useful for information, too. Personally answered all my queries when I was buying the NOS steel X-Status frame.

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    What do you mean by the "clear"?
    Clear coat. If the labelling is under a coating of clear 'lacquer' or polyurethane then you'll want to get that glossy finish back when you've removed the labels.

Master
    My Surly Disc Trucker:

Good all-rounder.

The Bob Jackson:

Since selling my Van Nicholas, I am missing a light road bike. Our bike-to-work scheme is calling to me, especially as you can get quite a lot for the ?£1k limit.

Master
    Just sorted a deal on this Sabbath Mondays Child frame and forks. Need to find some bits to bolt on to it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Just sorted a deal on this Sabbath Mondays Child frame and forks. Need to find some bits to bolt on to it now.
    What's wrong with what it has? Looks like a pretty solid build to me.

Banned
    i'm guessing the present owner is keeping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    My Surly Disc Trucker:

Nice bikes, what is the rack on the Surly?

Master
    What's wrong with what it has? Looks like a pretty solid build to me.
    i'm guessing the present owner is keeping them.
    Yes, only frame and forks available. Looks nice with what it has on it though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Nice bikes, what is the rack on the Surly?
    It’s a Racktime Addit. German brand, very solidly made, and not too spendy.

http://www.racktime.com/product.php?xn=16

On the front (not pictured) I have a Salsa Down Under, which works well with the disc caliper etc.

http://salsacycles.com/components/ca...own_under_rack

On the front (not pictured) I have a Salsa Down Under, which works well with the disc caliper etc.

Does the Salsa Down Under affect steering stability at all?
    F.T.F.A.

Ooh, I may have to revive that thread soon

Here's my trusty mode of transportation here in Copenhagen:

We love our bicycles, and over 50% of Copenhageners ride their bikes to work, and the city is designed for cyclists basically. I tried riding a bicycle in London once and was nearly killed a dozen times!

Master
    This came yesterday, need to get a bit of cross training in for a couple of sportives next month or this could be the year my son beats me :(

I do look like some kind of giant radioactive knock off Chinese Robocop riding it though :)

Interesting. Not seen one of those before. Just watched a video. Look great in California. Not sure I'd venture out where I live though!

Master
    Did a quick 10 miles last night, luckily I live in middle of nowhere but if anyone saw me i'd be burned for being a witch.

Now its peeing it down so thats that for a few days :(

Any idea where i can buy the Addit rack in the UK?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Any idea where i can buy the Addit rack in the UK?
    No, I got mine from Rosebikes if I remember rightly:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/r...-x6ZzZjY_D_BwE

Postage sounds a lot but it probably wouldn’t be much less from a UK supplier, and Rose are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Does the Salsa Down Under affect steering stability at all?
    I haven’t used it much loaded up but it seems pretty good. Mounts very solidly indeed as the horizontals are twinned to go on the Surly fork mounts which are on both the inside and outside of the fork blades. I used bolts that go straight through the fork rather than separate ones inside and outside and that seems to add to the rigidity. It’s also designed for the front of dropout type lower mounts that the Surly has. I chose it because 1) it works well around a front disc and 2) it seems to hold the load lower down than many designs. It also holds the load more forward than some designs, which I was a bit dubious about, but it seems to work well with the Surly’s geometry.

Master
    Yet, when arriving home and trying to peel off the spare (it was a new tyre and the same as what I took off) and then put a nice fresh layer of glue down, the damn thing was so well attached there was no need whatsoever to remove it. It's still on the wheel.
    I must have offended the puncture fairy as 5km from home yesterday I copped some glass in it. Rode home on the flat (rear) rather than change out so close to home (I was a bit shagged). Ability to ride flat is a nice feature of tubulars.

Banned
    I was changing a puncture too yesterday for one of the guys I was riding with. Amazed he still hasn't learned to do it himself so had to hop back a couple km to rescue him. Was on the tail end of the ride but still 60km from home so would've made no difference on tubs. Luckily clinchers are a quick and easy change.

here is my weapon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post

Now that's more like it!

Grand Master
    Cant remember who asked me about a Carbon 29er but I have one that could be for sale, Specialized Stumpjumper 29er 2013, Mint as ever will be cleaned up and advertised in time but if anyone here wants then give me a shout, its a Large
    RIAC

That does indeed look like a weapon! Very nice :)

I see you do S-B-R. What distances do you do on the above? I do a bit myself but due to a bad back I can only dream of getting aero over any distance

Master

That's bloody amazing! More pics please!

Looks super super fast!

Banned
    Oops...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Oops...

Bloody hell Burnsey, didnt know you were an organ donor?

PS what's with all the boxes on the back - is that to keep your tampons in ;-) ;-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Bloody hell Burnsey, didnt know you were an organ donor?

PS what's with all the boxes on the back - is that to keep your tampons in ;-) ;-)
    Its a handbag carrier

Banned
    Its a handbag carrier
    They are for the simple purpose of raking up all of the road, so all you two a breast lot don't feel stupid.

Master
    I was changing a puncture too yesterday for one of the guys I was riding with. Amazed he still hasn't learned to do it himself so had to hop back a couple km to rescue him. Was on the tail end of the ride but still 60km from home so would've made no difference on tubs. Luckily clinchers are a quick and easy change.
    You helped with a clincher flat or a tubular flat? For speed, a competent tubular user, and one that doesn't glue too severely, can change out a tubular in half the time it takes to replace a clincher's tube, let alone fix a clincher's puncture.

I've ridden more than 60km on a flat rear tubular, but only on a hotmix road surface. Thing is, the road was straight. I didn't even realise I had a puncture until I hit some windy bits.

Riding flat on chip seal is far less enjoyable.

Banned
    It was a clincher puncture. Didn't take more than a few minutes to change and in the context of a 9 hour ride, a couple minutes here or there don't make a huge difference!

I'm not saying clinchers are better than tubs though. As I said above, I have never tried tubs so would be silly to offer an uninformed opinion!