closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 60 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 3,000 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Thank you. Will pop some deep rims on it when it gets used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    very pretty Kerry; great detailing on that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thanks for that, those GP4's are definitely in my radar, just going to keep an eye out if a retailer discounts and I'll jump on.

Separately, this arrived today, have wanted a crank based power meter but finding one that has enough clearance between the crank and chainstay has proved tricky. Found a retailer selling at a 15% discount so jumped on, it's arrived and it looks to have ample space so I'll chuck this and bike into my LBS to get fitted this weekend.

I’ve just installed a 4iiii version. Practically the same thing. It was pretty easy to install. I didn’t have the crank adapter but managed to get it off anyway.

I’ve just been out for the first ride with it. Weather was rubbish so wouldn’t have gone if I wasn’t so excited to test out my new toy. I’ve no idea on numbers yet but told myself to average above 170w for the 50km which I managed. At least I know what to aim for next time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    I’ve just installed a 4iiii version. Practically the same thing. It was pretty easy to install. I didn’t have the crank adapter but managed to get it off anyway.

I’ve just been out for the first ride with it. Weather was rubbish so wouldn’t have gone if I wasn’t so excited to test out my new toy. I’ve no idea on numbers yet but told myself to average above 170w for the 50km which I managed. At least I know what to aim for next time.

Lovely bike. How did you get it off without the crank adaptor? I've been so busy with work i haven't had a chance to get ot the LBS in any event.

Thanks also @higham.

Btw Kerry, were you riding round Richmond Park yesterday? I saw a bike the same as you SL6 and wondered whether it was you, first i've seen, lovely in the flesh.

Grand Master
    Btw Kerry, were you riding round Richmond Park yesterday? I saw a bike the same as you SL6 and wondered whether it was you, first i've seen, lovely in the flesh.
    Not me mate I’m still recovering from Covid with a little post virus fatigue.

What do you need a crank adaptor for?
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Lovely bike. How did you get it off without the crank adaptor? I've been so busy with work i haven't had a chance to get ot the LBS in any event.

Thanks also @higham.

Thanks!

Once I’d loosened both bolts on top of the crank, I put a tea towel over the star shape and then pushed in a 10mm Allen key, it made it a tight enough fit to undo it. I tried just using my finger at first but nearly broke it 😂

Craftsman
    Not me mate I’m still recovering from Covid with a little post virus fatigue.

What do you need a crank adaptor for?
    It’s to get this star shape bolt off so you can remove the crank

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Once I’d loosened both bolts on top of the crank, I put a tea towel over the star shape and then pushed in a 10mm Allen key, it made it a tight enough fit to undo it. I tried just using my finger at first but nearly broke it 
    That star headed bolt should only be done up finger tight.

The tool is only £3

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-Cra...BoCOdkQAvD_BwE

Grand Master
    It’s to get this star shape bolt off so you can remove the crank

Always use the plastic tool on a BB Tool but should be loose enough to do with a finger or a little tap on one edge with a flat screwdriver normally loosens it off.

Make sure its not overnight when you pop it back on the retainer will hold the crank on poles the bolts torque right.

On a separate note, anyone got an 42cm Carbon Bars lying around? Or a Roval Wheelset?
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Always use the plastic tool on a BB Tool but should be loose enough to do with a finger or a little tap on one edge with a flat screwdriver normally loosens it off.

Make sure its not overnight when you pop it back on the retainer will hold the crank on poles the bolts torque right.

On a separate note, anyone got an 42cm Carbon Bars lying around? Or a Roval Wheelset?
    Yes I read not to do it too tight. It was quite tight to start with though. I went to the specialized shop in Harrogate over the weekend, they didn’t have the adaptor and I couldn’t be bothered waiting for one to be delivered

Grand Master
    Yes I read not to do it too tight. It was quite tight to start with though. I went to the specialized shop in Harrogate over the weekend, they didn’t have the adaptor and I couldn’t be bothered waiting for one to be delivered

Get yourself a Park Tool Bottom Bracket Tool BBT-9

£20 on amazon
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    What happens if you overtighten? I presume something is going to crack?

Grand Master
    Nothing just chews up the plastic

RIAC

Blog Entries
    Cool thx

Master
    What happens if you overtighten? I presume something is going to crack?
    The tool is just a pre tightener to hold the cranks together. Its nothing technical, its just one of those tools if you dont have , you are stuffed!

Master
    Anyone got any experience of Wiliers range of road bikes. Merlin bikes seem to have some nice examples.

I've currently got a Carbon Merida race 94 comp which is in superb condition. I'm being drawn to something newer and a bit lighter. I really fancy something with disc brakes...... But keep getting drawn to Italian brands.

Thinking of up to £2.5k roughly. Other contenders -

Orro Venturi STC ultegra
    Ribble SL Endurance
    Planet X - (can't remember the model now!!!)

Any others and any of the above I should avoid at all costs?

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    LBS near me is a Williers dealer, can't say I have ridden one personally but a lot of people in my two clubs have them and seem to like them.

They also do Orro which are also very popular.

Some bikes due in shortly with Pearson if people are struggling to find some.

Craftsman
    I'm starting to think it's easier to get a steel Rolex at RRP than finding mid-range road bike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    LBS near me is a Williers dealer, can't say I have ridden one personally but a lot of people in my two clubs have them and seem to like them.

They also do Orro which are also very popular.
    I need to get out and try some..... Seen a very nice Ridley Fenix SLiC, full ultegra and disc brakes

Master
    This one

Blog Entries
    Finally got the power meter fitted, and loving all the new data!

What's the significance with 170w, if any? I went for a 22 mile burn through the Surrey Hills earlier in between meetings and averaged 169w. I'm no cyclist but it felt like a decent workout when I returned home. Lots to learn on this.

Also does anyone know whether average watts recorded is measured on elapsed time or time moving, ie if stop for a water break does that break affect average power?

Master
    Blog Entries

What's the significance with 170w, if any? I went for a 22 mile burn through the Surrey Hills earlier in between meetings and averaged 169w. I'm no cyclist but it felt like a decent workout when I returned home. Lots to learn on this.

Also does anyone know whether average watts recorded is measured on elapsed time or time moving, ie if stop for a water break does that break affect average power?
    Depends on the settings. Most people ignore zeros. Otherwise the average can look very sad.

Blog Entries
    Ah cool so just need to dig into the settings and play around. Thanks!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah cool so just need to dig into the settings and play around. Thanks!
    The setting is in the garmin. It’s separate from auto stop as you can freewheel …

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The setting is in the garmin. It’s separate from auto stop as you can freewheel …
    Thanks for that, had a dig through this morning and looks like it was including zeros so fixed now.

Have a read up about Normalised Power. If you're using the power data to understand how 'stressful' the ride is then it might be a better option.

As an example, if you were to sit on a turbo trainer for an hour at 200W that might feel fine, say an RPE of 6. You could then do another workout with a load of short 400W intervals and longer 100W recoveries which also averages out at 200W for the hour but on an RPE scale rates 9/10.

The Normalised Power algorithm takes all this into consideration and gives you a power reading more akin to the effort you've put in rather than a strict average. A bit more complicated but generally a better record of the training stress you've put yourself through and thus the recovery time required etc etc.

Grand Master
    The line I always follow is:-

‘Always do your hard sessions hard enough and your easy sessions easy enough’

Often we don’t go hard enough nor do we go easy enough. A easy session should be easy. A lot don’t understand how that feels.
    RIAC

One other thing... Andrew Coggan and Hunter Allen's book 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' is really worth a read. It's reasonably accessible and if you want to actually use all that extra data and get the most out of it it's pretty much essential.

Dirt cheap on Amazon at the moment too.

The line I always follow is:-

‘Always do your hard sessions hard enough and your easy sessions easy enough’

Often we don’t go hard enough nor do we go easy enough. A easy session should be easy. A lot don’t understand how that feels.
    Absolutely right.
    I was helping a mate through his bike training for an ironman recently and he needed to do a couple of hours recovery in Z2... said it was the toughest session he did as it was so damn slow. We're not used to taking it that easy!

Blog Entries
    What is the purpose of an easy session though? Surely if you need to rest, you just rest?

Thanks for the tip on normalised power, and the book suggestion.

What is the purpose of an easy session though? Surely if you need to rest, you just rest?

Thanks for the tip on normalised power, and the book suggestion.

Lots of studies around about active vs passive recovery... many of which I'm sure contradict each other.
    The theory behind active recovery is that it flushes the lactate from the muscles, encourages the flow of deoxygenated blood to the lungs and reduces the amount of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). But, as said, it only really works if you go properly easy.

Grand Master
    Anyone got any Roval or Zipp Disc Wheels for sale?
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Lots of studies around about active vs passive recovery... many of which I'm sure contradict each other.
    The theory behind active recovery is that it flushes the lactate from the muscles, encourages the flow of deoxygenated blood to the lungs and reduces the amount of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). But, as said, it only really works if you go properly easy.
    Thank you.

Craftsman

There was nothing really significant about me aiming for 170 average watts on my first ride with the power meter. I was just trying to put a number down and get a feel for what’s achievable. I had a rough idea about the watts I can hold after using a peloton bike last year for a while but I think those are just estimate anyway

Craftsman
    Basso Diamante for me...

Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Basso Diamante for me...

Cranks not flat, wheels not aligned, chain on small chainring, dishwasher door not shut.
    Come on Spesh, you can do better than that! ;)

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210705/4380d0487c3baec8fd13f3f

Just loving the details on this Special Edition Peter Sagan SL6 and what a rider (Sagan not me!)

Looks like a Moser dial

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    wicked looking bike ^^ but i think i prefer the standard, team Bora H, frame colours...

Finished the JOGLE yesterday.
    12 days, 1,635km, 17242m of elevation. What a ride it’s been…
    Thank you to everyone who donated

Craftsman
    My first ride on this today - I very much underestimated how much my electric bike assists me on hills until now.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    wicked looking bike ^^ but i think i prefer the standard, team Bora H, frame colours...
    Bit much for a turbo trainer isn’t it!
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bit much for a turbo trainer isn’t it!
    I see you have finally upgraded from rim brakes ;-)

Just picked up my new Orbea Rise. Ordered this about a year ago, so echo comment above that getting a steel sports Rolex would have been easier. Bike is one of the new generation lightweight e-MTBs weighing in at just 17kg. My old bike was 25kg, so a massive difference meaning I can easily lift it over a gate or stye. Rides just like a normal MTB apart from that extra boost when you need it.

Grand Master
    I see you have finally upgraded from rim brakes ;-)
    You dont use brakes on a turbo trainer so it’ll do
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    You dont use brakes on a turbo trainer so it’ll do
    Lol. Is that seriously your turbo bike 

Through axels are a bit of a pain for turbos.

Grand Master

Yep. Sure is.

Thru axle not a problem as it won’t move off there till someone needs it.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries

Yep. Sure is.

Thru axle not a problem as it won’t move off there till someone needs it.
    That’s the Rolls Royce of turbo irons.

With my Tacx I had to buy an extra skewer kit when I changed to 11 speed and thru axels.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Just picked up my new Orbea Rise. Ordered this about a year ago, so echo comment above that getting a steel sports Rolex would have been easier. Bike is one of the new generation lightweight e-MTBs weighing in at just 17kg. My old bike was 25kg, so a massive difference meaning I can easily lift it over a gate or stye. Rides just like a normal MTB apart from that extra boost when you need it.

That looks awesome...congratulations. The Sondors fat tire ebike I just got a few days ago weighs almost double that of your Orbea, at 32+kg. I just finished injecting the tires with Joe's Sealant before I venture off the paved roads. It's powered by a 750W/80Nm Bafang geared hub motor and 48V x 14Ah battery containing Panasonic cells. The brakes are Tektronic 180mm hydraulic and the drive-train is a 7-speed Shimano. Oh, and it folds in half!

I was a runner, but a hip replacement and pulmonary fibrosis demand a major change.

Last edited by pacifichrono; 15th July 2021 at 20:44.

Grand Master

As bikes go electric or otherwise to my eye that folding thing is hideous. It can’t decide if it’s a mobility scooter, golf caddy, moped or motorcycle. But hey one mans shit is another’s gold and if it gets you riding it’s a winner
    RIAC

Grand Master
    That’s the Rolls Royce of turbo irons.

With my Tacx I had to buy an extra skewer kit when I changed to 11 speed and thru axels.
    Wahoo Kickr Smart comes with all the adaptors and a 1 min job too swop, feels locked in with the 12mm thru, thru it’s great till you forget or lose the Allen key on a ride and get a puncture.

It’s far too good for the turbo but the S-Works that was on there got snapped up (Ridiculous I know) so I am trying really hard to trim down. Hoping someone with one of my old tarmacs wants to upgrade as any of the SL4/SL5 or even a lower specce’d SL6 would be far more appropriate indoors so that this beauty can see the sun.
    RIAC