closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 63 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,150 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Take this as the ill-informed nonsense it may well be...is there a way of making sure that, if you remove subsequently them, cleaning any residue won't damage the clearcoat that is presumably covering your frame at the moment? When you are painting a frame from scratch, stickers usually go under clearcoat, not over it. On bare metal frames you just whack stickers on top.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    As long as its an easy reverse I will give it a go and post some pics 
    Well as above there is a risk they will pull off the clear coat.

That said I have used very sticky frame protect tape on carbon frames and when you pull that off Ive never seen it lift any clear coat but I dont have a BMC.

Dont do it! Its a nice stealthy bike.

If I were to change anything I would put some straight bars on it, change that nasty gear system for a Rohloff, get some proper strong wheels, mudguards, front and rear rack, and rear panniers, then you would have a proper bike, except that you would need a steel frame with longer than usual chain stays. Burn all your Lycra too!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Dont do it! Its a nice stealthy bike.

If I were to change anything I would put some straight bars on it, change that nasty gear system for a Rohloff, get some proper strong wheels, mudguards, front and rear rack, and rear panniers, then you would have a proper bike, except that you would need a steel frame with longer than usual chain stays. Burn all your Lycra too!
    😂 other than all that its decent

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well as above there is a risk they will pull off the clear coat.
    Hadnt really thought about that. Do you think heating it up will help it come off easy?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hadnt really thought about that. Do you think heating it up will help it come off easy?
    I usually hair dryer decals and tape before removals so yes

Master
    Note that, if used sufficiently aggressively, you can melt clearcoat with a hairdryer.

Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Ha, how about that. How long did you have to wait for them? Definitely interested to hear how you get on with the switch.
    Only done 1 ride so far and as youd expect - theyre stiffer, faster and look pretty sweet too.
    I got them off eBay recently, so no wait. Only 1000 miles or so done I think, they look mint.

Id say theyre as good if not better than 2-3k wheelsets. Obviously not as light but I dont really care about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just arrived at the top of the final king of the mountain climb on todays stage. Keep your eye out on itv4 for me shortlycant miss me in this jersey! 30 meters before the line

Master
    Just arrived at the top of the final king of the mountain climb on todays stage. Keep your eye out on itv4 for me shortlycant miss me in this jersey! 30 meters before the line

Enjoy , we spectated on the 20% section of the GT Orme yesterday. Brilliant position and saw all the riders really clearly as they were down to 8/10 mph. Wout van Aert looked strong as he jousted with Allaphillipe.

Master
    As long as its an easy reverse I will give it a go and post some pics 
    You will see some branding today on the TOB. I dont think they could get the Canyon and S Works logos any bigger

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Enjoy , we spectated on the 20% section of the GT Orme yesterday. Brilliant position and saw all the riders really clearly as they were down to 8/10 mph. Wout van Aert looked strong as he jousted with Allaphillipe.
    Brilliant finish yesterday wasnt it. I would have liked to race to Warrington to watch todays but Im back home to do the school run

Craftsman
    As much as I love my bike I sometimes wish there was more branding on it

Ive got some new decals coming today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-SAM-...-127635-2958-0
    Whats everyones thoughts? Do it or dont do it. Will they be easy to remove if Im not keen?
    This didnt quite go to plan. I was about to put the stickers on today but then noticed the new ones are slightly smaller than the original ones that are already on so theyre look daft. Plan abandoned! I did apply the mini ones near the seat post though

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Only done 1 ride so far and as youd expect - theyre stiffer, faster and look pretty sweet too.
    I got them off eBay recently, so no wait. Only 1000 miles or so done I think, they look mint.

Id say theyre as good if not better than 2-3k wheelsets. Obviously not as light but I dont really care about that.

Thank you, really encouraging and just the feedback I was hoping for. Incidentally I think I saw that ebay listing, buy I hadn't quite made my mind up so had left it.

Master

Does anybody ride Zipp 303s?

Im buying a new bike and thinking of upgrading the OE wheels to Zipps and wondered if anybody had opinions on them.

Master
    First question. Why?

I did the King Alfred's Way off road route last weekend 350km over 4 days. The weather wasn't that kind on the first two days which as they were the two longest days made for a couple of tough and long days in the saddle. I also think that the very wet summer had degraded some of the tracks quite a bit making it very rough. My newly built gravel bike (by me ;o)) survived the whole thing without a scratch which is more than can be said for other bikes in my group.....it was tough on both man and machine. I personally ended up with very bad saddle sores at the end of day 2 which certainly affected my enjoyment of days 3 and 4.....in over 35 years of long distance cycling in all weathers and on all surfaces Ive never had that happen before!! Bloody painful......I will certainly not skip the bum cream ever again ;o)

Thoroughly recommend the route though, great countryside and some great tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Im buying a new bike and thinking of upgrading the OE wheels to Zipps and wondered if anybody had opinions on them.

I've had 303's on my 'best' bike for a while... they must be 7 or 8 years old now and have been great. There were issues with earlier hubs and Zipp never had the greatest reputation for customer service but fortunately I've not needed to test that. I'm sure there are more cost-effective options but if you like them and can live with the price, why not?

Master
    'Better looking wheels' is a valid reason to upgrade.

What do you hope the Zipps will do for you K?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    'Better looking wheels' is a valid reason to upgrade.

What do you hope the Zipps will do for you K?
    The standard wheels are alloy Fulcrums and so they appear to be an area on the bike where I can get a relatively cost effective upgrade. The Zipps were suggested by the store who I might be purchasing the bike from, but its early days and Ive still to do any serious research on options.

The Zipps were suggested by the store
    handbuilt every time, some king/DT hubs with light bicycle rims with brass nipples and whatever spokes to suit your weight/riding.
    my wheel builder has had to rebuild far too many zipp wheels to soon in their lifespan.

the store probably suggested them on margin for them.

Master
    Stores will offer stuff that suits them.

My advice would be to think about what you want for your money...speed, looks, weight, whatever.

If you don't care about any of those things, the wheels you have will be fine for your needs. And, by the way, however much you spend, you will not be more than a couple of percent quicker. Training brings the big gains.

But carbon fibre wheels look the nuts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I did the King Alfred's Way off road route last weekend 350km over 4 days. The weather wasn't that kind on the first two days which as they were the two longest days made for a couple of tough and long days in the saddle. I also think that the very wet summer had degraded some of the tracks quite a bit making it very rough. My newly built gravel bike (by me ;o)) survived the whole thing without a scratch which is more than can be said for other bikes in my group.....it was tough on both man and machine. I personally ended up with very bad saddle sores at the end of day 2 which certainly affected my enjoyment of days 3 and 4.....in over 35 years of long distance cycling in all weathers and on all surfaces Ive never had that happen before!! Bloody painful......I will certainly not skip the bum cream ever again ;o)

Thoroughly recommend the route though, great countryside and some great tracks.
    Respect to that ride it certainly sounds like a good one ☝️ Dont know if it relevant but I used to do the Polaris challenge 2 day orienteering MTB event. You had to carry everything food tools sleeping bag tent on your back. I allways carried spare shorts for day 2 as numerous people said they had nappy rash using the same shorts from one day to the next.
    Last edited by higham5; 17th September 2021 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Respect to that ride it certainly sounds like a good one ☝️ Dont know if it relevant but I used to do the Polaris challenge 2 day orienteering MTB event. You had to carry everything food tools sleeping bag tent on your back. I allways carried spare shorts for day 2 as numerous people said they had nappy rash using the same shorts from one day to the next.
    Totally relevant.I said exactly the same to my friends who were convinced that they should go as light as possible.
    I suspect that actually ironically my 2nd pair of shorts were just not as good as my first pair and contributed to the effect on day 2.typical :0)

Master
    Took this today near Norton Juxta Twyross, immediately after completing my 30,000th road mile since January 2015 (when I started cycling regularly and counting the miles). Lovely afternoon. Here's to the next 30,000.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Took this today near Norton Juxta Twyross, immediately after completing my 30,000th road mile since January 2015 (when I started cycling regularly and counting the miles). Lovely afternoon. Here's to the next 30,000.
    Chapeau Sir , a real achievement
    Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great weeks riding in the Pyrenees. Here I am on the way up Superbagnres.

Spent a week wearing the Seiko beater, looking forward to getting nice watch on tomorrow.

Great weeks riding in the Pyrenees. Here I am on the way up Superbagnres.

Spent a week wearing the Seiko beater, looking forward to getting nice watch on tomorrow.

Excellent! My hat is off to you.

Master
    For those of you that do your own bike maintenance check out - https://www.bsctools.co.uk/
    Their bottom bracket bearing remover and bearing presses are beautiful, even including a thrust washer to make it easy to turn.

Master
    Hmmmmm

I do "need" a headset press

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    For those of you that do your own bike maintenance check out - https://www.bsctools.co.uk/
    Their bottom bracket bearing remover and bearing presses are beautiful, even including a thrust washer to make it easy to turn.

oooooh theyre properly pretty.

Ive started my own bike repair / servicing business and have spent way more than I should on tools. I hadnt come across BCS before though.
    Very nice.

Master
    I used to fancy myself as pretty daring on my front suspension hard tail in the early 90s, but the gulf between what I used to tackle and the sheer talent and endurance of this is just mind-boggling. 30 full minutes of balls to the wall mentalism.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/mR1HPBxcaVI

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Well priced tools there. The headset press is calling to me . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Good ride yesterday. Turbo season starts soon

Craftsman
    Bike Storage and bike workstands - seem to be so many options for both of these, from hanging pulley systems and wall mounts for storage, and cheap and cheerful to v. expensive on the workstand. Anybody got decent recommendations for either?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

For workstands Feedback Sports are the best I've used.

For wall hangers I've not found any that are 'perfect' but I've got 4 or 5 of the Feedback Sports Velo Hinges which aren't bad. I've also got a couple of Clug holders as well which just seem to be the wrong size for any tyre.
    Really depends on where you want the bikes hanging and how many you've got.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    For workstands Feedback Sports are the best I've used.

For wall hangers I've not found any that are 'perfect' but I've got 4 or 5 of the Feedback Sports Velo Hinges which aren't bad. I've also got a couple of Clug holders as well which just seem to be the wrong size for any tyre.
    Really depends on where you want the bikes hanging and how many you've got.
    Thanks, the Velo hinge looks perfect for what I need. I'll take a look at the workstand aswell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Bike Storage and bike workstands - seem to be so many options for both of these, from hanging pulley systems and wall mounts for storage, and cheap and cheerful to v. expensive on the workstand. Anybody got decent recommendations for either?

I bought my work-stand from Aldi or Lidl (can never remember which!) for 25 and been happy with it, ok it's basic but it does the job...

Blog Entries
    Road bike has now gone into hibernation, and have been out in force on the gravel bike this week. God what a lot of fun, but today I came home caked in mud and spray so I need to fit some mudguards this weekend.

I've purchased a pair of SKS Speedrockers but need some tape to protect the frame where the mudguards clamp on. Anyone got any recommendations? I was looking at heli tape but just shy of 20 when I don't really need 20m's seems excessive. Was looking at Gorilla tape which looks to be priced more reasonably, would that be suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EUGCT...D0W2E1CZZWKNDY

Stunning bike, the BORG's look great.

Master
    ^^^ yes, that bike does look the business!

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Road bike has now gone into hibernation, and have been out in force on the gravel bike this week. God what a lot of fun, but today I came home caked in mud and spray so I need to fit some mudguards this weekend.

I've purchased a pair of SKS Speedrockers but need some tape to protect the frame where the mudguards clamp on. Anyone got any recommendations? I was looking at heli tape but just shy of 20 when I don't really need 20m's seems excessive. Was looking at Gorilla tape which looks to be priced more reasonably, would that be suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EUGCT...D0W2E1CZZWKNDY

Stunning bike, the BORG's look great.

I use heli tape from Paragon Tapes, also very good for making your own caseback protectors. Virtually invisible and easy to apply.
    F.T.F.A.

https://youtu.be/mR1HPBxcaVI[/QUOTE]

Just wow and thanks for link. Incredible skill and fitness.

I got my winter bike ready, but with the amount of rain weve had recently Im not sure if it wont just sit on the turbo autumn certainly hit hard this year.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I use heli tape from Paragon Tapes, also very good for making your own caseback protectors. Virtually invisible and easy to apply.
    ive always used the Copter Tape from Justrodingalong.com but it looks like theyre out of stock.

Its basically just 3M heli tape which you can pick up from Amazon - just warm it up a bit when you fit it and spend a bit of time getting rid of the bubbles and youre sorted.

A winter bike with no guards?
    You will be popular on a group ride!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    A winter bike with no guards?
    You will be popular on a group ride!
    I dont really ride with any group, but yeah always think I should put mudguards on but I never do

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont really ride with any group, but yeah always think I should put mudguards on but I never do

Mudguards are mandatory in our group rides. They make winter riding more tolerable and keep your bottles clear of all the muck off the road helping to reduce illness. Who wants cow slurry on their bottles?

Blog Entries
    Mudguards are mandatory in our group rides. They make winter riding more tolerable and keep your bottles clear of all the muck off the road helping to reduce illness. Who wants cow slurry on their bottles?
    Now that wasn't something I had even considered, good point.

Cleaned up my ebike yesterday, including a coat of ceramic, and oiled the chain. My buddy and I went on a 24-mile ride starting at 7:30 a.m. (he on his Specialized road bike) through Coronado Island and along the Silver Strand, which connects Coronado to the mainland. Beautiful day for it, too. He was sweating pretty good...me hardly at all, thanks to my 750W motor! Without the "assistance," my lung problems wouldn't allow me to bike at all.

Blog Entries
    Great work, I wouldn't mind sweating my nads off on that route.