closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,200 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    I've cycled that part of the world, nice day out in La Jolla as well.

Happy memories.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Now that wasn't something I had even considered, good point.
    All the road muck ends up on your bottles in winter if you don’t run guards.

Would you lick the roads you ride on?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    All the road muck ends up on your bottles in winter if you don’t run guards.

Would you lick the roads you ride on?
    Sounds like I already have

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    Just wow and thanks for link. Incredible skill and fitness.[/QUOTE]

I'm in awe of these guy's talent and speed going downhill from the peak of Alpe d'Huez.

Me too!

This guy; Damien Desbrosses, finished in 11th place so God knows how fast Kilian Bron was going to finish 1st. I will have to watch his run as well.

I found parts of this truly terrifying, going down through the rocks and scree at immense speed. When the route or trail is in shade I don't know how he did not wipe out.
    Then, further down the mountain side when he gets to the woods the speed he carries through certain sections is insane.

I have hit a top speed of 61mph going down Fleetmoss into Hawes on the Etape du Dales, but these downhill rides are way too scary for me.. Going fast downhill on the road is nothing compared to this;

100+ kph on Megavalanche 2021 with Damien Desbrosses;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWU9I30Gxg&t=1061s

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Bike Storage and bike workstands - seem to be so many options for both of these, from hanging pulley systems and wall mounts for storage, and cheap and cheerful to v. expensive on the workstand. Anybody got decent recommendations for either?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    I have four bikes hanging upside down in the garage on metal hooks. Cheap and easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TooTaci-Bic...dp/B07GTGF6KV/

In all seriousness, is this too lame even for a 74 year-old? Wondering if it's akin to wearing a helmet to protect your head throughout the day!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    In all seriousness, is this too lame even for a 74 year-old? Wondering if it's akin to wearing a helmet to protect your head throughout the day!

This photo will not mean much but to those who’ve spent time on your side of the pond or who watched films made there, preferably with children in them.

I am pretty sure the answer to your question is yes, a bit. However a small redeeming feature is the Bell logo, if you wear the matching helmet.
    I think flashing led lights are far more efficient at drawing motorists attention. But hey, more power to you if you like it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Really enjoyed Kilian's vid so thanks, unbelievable speed over that ground, I'm convinced that around 14 minutes in it's playing on double speed

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This photo will not mean much but to those who’ve spent time on your side of the pond or who watched films made there, preferably with children in them.

I am pretty sure the answer to your question is yes, a bit. However a small redeeming feature is the Bell logo, if you wear the matching helmet.
    I think flashing led lights are far more efficient at drawing motorists attention. But hey, more power to you if you like it.
    Thanks for the input. Actually, I do have a flashing red tail light and a daytime headlight. The left side mirror is incredibly helpful, too.

I read the daily San Diego newpaper and notice that there are several bike fatalities EVERY WEEK here in the county due to encounters with cars.

Master
    This was all over the FB cycling forums earlier. What sort of world are we now living in??? https://news.sky.com/story/pro-cycli...TqrV1Dsw9Djqxk

One of my friends bought 2 new e-bikes for himself and wife and no sooner bought than they were stolen from the bike racking outside Harrow Tube Station.Must have been knowledgeable thieves to know what they were looking at compared to all the other bikes there.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    This was all over the FB cycling forums earlier. What sort of world are we now living in??? https://news.sky.com/story/pro-cycli...TqrV1Dsw9Djqxk

One of my friends bought 2 new e-bikes for himself and wife and no sooner bought than they were stolen from the bike racking outside Harrow Tube Station.Must have been knowledgeable thieves to know what they were looking at compared to all the other bikes there.
    Sorry to hear that about your friends bikes ... it is always in the back of my head that whilst cycling someone could easily force my off my bike and steal it. Its like a war zone out there now its ridiculous

I often worry about some of the places that you people must live, and then appreciate all the more where I live. That's not supposed to be a smug comment. I genuinely sympathise. We have a relatively small population up here, and the chance for most of being found out for your crimes is a reason why so few commit crimes in the first place. Everyone will soon know who did it and who you are, and you will be remembered for that for ever. If the crims got their mugshot in the paper where you are I am sure that there would be less crime, assuming people still read the local papers. At least people would know who to look out for, but then of course the crims 'ooman rights would be trampled on - a terrible shame!

Blog Entries
    If you ever ride through Richmond Park, or walk for that matter, you'll appreciate its a robbers dream. At any point in time there is a stack load of cash riding around. One loop of the Park and I'd regular see a handful of S-Works at a minimum. I was actually thinking of heading there tomorrow but think I'll give ita wide berth.

Master
    Sad to read of course.

But reminds me of Bob Mortimer's childhood friend Gary Cheeseman AKA 'Sniper's Dream'.

Such a brilliantly told story.

https://youtu.be/ey5MP4e2QOQ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    This was all over the FB cycling

A brand new E-bike is going to stick out like a sore thumb, most people just lock up rat bikes at stations as stuff is always getting nicked.

Just do not be the slowest runnner that the bear is chasing.

I see hundreds of bikes locked up in Kingston. Loads of nice and expensive bikes locked up with sh1tty cable locks. One snip and they are gone. I have seen the urchins do it, chased them, and recovered a bike. You are asking for you bike to be stolen if you do not lock up your bike properly with proper D-locks.

I always lock my bike with an Abus X-Granit Plus. It needs an angle grinder to get through it in two places. If the thieves want it they will take it, but 99.9% of the time the they will just go for an easier lock to overcome.

Master
    Nice early ride out this morning with a coffee and a bar on the beach
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Nice early ride out this morning with a coffee and a bar on the beach
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Same here, quiet roads, beautiful, foggy sunrise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I have four bikes hanging upside down in the garage on metal hooks. Cheap and easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TooTaci-Bic...dp/B07GTGF6KV/
    Thanks for this. Shed is getting cleared out tomorrow and then I'll see what I can get to work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Thanks for this. Shed is getting cleared out tomorrow and then I'll see what I can get to work.

Dont hang disk brake bike upside down DAMHIK

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dont hang disk brake bike upside down DAMHIK
    Good point for hydraulic. But regular cabled disk brakes won't mind hanging upside down.

Been off two wheels since July 2019. In that time I sold both my bikes and all of my kit. However I've been struggling a bit with my mental health recently so decided that getting back out again might help.

So earlier this week I ordered a bike...blimey are they hard to find, plus all the kit I needed....from a helmet down to shoes and everything in between.

Just back from a 42 mile ride...absolutely shattered but what a great day or glorious Autumnal sunshine...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Been off two wheels since July 2019. In that time I sold both my bikes and all of my kit. However I've been struggling a bit with my mental health recently so decided that getting back out again might help.

So earlier this week I ordered a bike...blimey are they hard to find, plus all the kit I needed....from a helmet down to shoes and everything in between.

Just back from a 42 mile ride...absolutely shattered but what a great day or glorious Autumnal sunshine...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Well done for getting back in the saddle. Unusual trike behind you , photobombing your selfie.

Well done for getting back in the saddle. Unusual trike behind you , photobombing your selfie.
    Looks like that guy requires "dualies!"

Thanks! You get to see a lot of different modes of transport on the Bristol to Bath Railway path...anthing from kids on balance bikes to various tandems and recumbents...unfortunately the electric scooter and blokes on roller skis seem to be much more common that the last time I was out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Thanks! You get to see a lot of different modes of transport on the Bristol to Bath Railway path...anthing from kids on balance bikes to various tandems and recumbents...unfortunately the electric scooter and blokes on roller skis seem to be much more common that the last time I was out.
    aka the Psycho Path. I avoid it at all costs, I’d rather take my chances on the A4.

Master
    Posted on the FB cycling forums this evening:

That’s just a neutral service vehicle for those high flyers doing laps of the park.

Blog Entries
    Anyone use slime when running tubes? I've never used it before but figured it's almost essential as the condition of roads worsens throughout autumn and into winter. Any views?

Master
    Anyone use slime when running tubes? I've never used it before but figured it's almost essential as the condition of roads worsens throughout autumn and into winter. Any views?
    I did use it about 15 years ago when I was commuting by bike every day on my old Ridgeback, can't honestly remember if it ever prevented a flat but I don't think it's almost essential - I've done thousands of miles of winter road cycling, not always on the best roads over the last few years without getting a puncture. The best approach is to buy good tyres and change them when they're wearing down.

I wouldn’t bother with slime, go tubeless if you’re worried

I use Stan's sealant in my tube tires.

Master
    Lovely 48 miler this afternoon south of Derby. Got rained on quite heavily for half an hour, but it's all part of the fun.

Master
    Set out for a ride after having a bloody awful viral infection for a couple of weeks. Works been mental so was looking forward to getting out.

Set off, weather blustery but fairly good, got a bit wetter as I got further in to it. Unfortunately got a puncture which I sorted very quickly...... Then got another sodding puncture, didn't have another tube or repair kit.

Nobody at home to pick me up or vaguely nearby. So 42k on the bike and 10km ok on foot. Wouldn't you know it, it absolutely p*ssed down throughout the walk home

Safe to say I'd well and truly had enough when I eventually got home

Paul

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

New toy arrived a few weeks ago after a loooooooong wait. There was a bit of scope creep in the 6 months i was waiting

Fairlight Secan 2.5 with 1x grx 800, carbon hunts and 50mm maxxis ramblers.

Predictably on gravel it's like a magic carpet compared to my alloy bike. Also got another set of wheels with 35mm winter road tyres on it and it's amazingly capable in that set up. Completely in love and now spending a worrying amount of time looking at their road bike set up.

Steel is real etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Same here, quiet roads, beautiful, foggy sunrise.

Alverstoke? Not far from me although not been out that way on the road bike for a while. Tend to head north towards Winchester out in the lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Alverstoke? Not far from me although not been out that way on the road bike for a while. Tend to head north towards Winchester out in the lanes.
    I think it was Lee on the Solent!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    New toy arrived a few weeks ago after a loooooooong wait. There was a bit of scope creep in the 6 months i was waiting

Fairlight Secan 2.5 with 1x grx 800, carbon hunts and 50mm maxxis ramblers.

Predictably on gravel it's like a magic carpet compared to my alloy bike. Also got another set of wheels with 35mm winter road tyres on it and it's amazingly capable in that set up. Completely in love and now spending a worrying amount of time looking at their road bike set up.

Steel is real etc etc

That looks like a nice set up; will be getting a bit more muddy soon no doubt.

Bit late to this thread but after a few years without a dedicated road bike (plus doing the L2B) I decided to address the situation and after much watching managed to pick this up quite cheaply on eBay:

Storck Fenomalist; full carbon frame; full Ultegra 6800; Hope/DT Swiss wheels; carbon bars and seatpost.

Have had it a month or so now and really enjoying it … obviously completely the wrong time of year but there we go!

Quite a change from other bikes … a steel Dave Yates MTB and a basic Alu Boardman hybrid.

^^^
    Sweet!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Back out on the bike 6 weeks post-op from Total Hip Replacement in the beautiful North York Moors

no bike but such a nice photo imho…

Anybody know where this is & where it’s taken from?

Roseberry Topping.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Roseberry Topping.
    Correct...aka The Yorkshire Matterhorn. Photo taken from Aireyholme Farm where Captain Cook worked as a youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Roseberry Topping.
    A beautiful sight from my office window.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    A beautiful sight from my office window.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    My favourite place in the world. I lived under the shadow of it in Great Ayton aged 4-18

Craftsman
    I always know I’m nearly home when I see the familiar shape of Roseberry Topping. I used to think the same about Bilsdale Mast but not anymore!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I always know I’m nearly home when I see the familiar shape of Roseberry Topping. I used to think the same about Bilsdale Mast but not anymore!

I rode from Stokesley to Helmsley & back last week & noticed that Bilsdale Mast wasn’t there any more :-(

I know they had a fire there recently so I guess it got dismantled.

The photo I posted with the green telephone box was taken near there. Fangdale Beck actually. It even has a telephone in it!

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I rode from Stokesley to Helmsley & back last week & noticed that Bilsdale Mast wasn’t there any more :-(

I know they had a fire there recently so I guess it got dismantled.

The photo I posted with the green telephone box was taken near there. Fangdale Beck actually. It even has a telephone in it!
    Lived around Helmsley all my life and consider myself very lucky to do so, great area for you guys and your push irons!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Lived around Helmsley all my life and consider myself very lucky to do so, great area for you guys and your push irons!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yeah, they don't waste Tarmac in North Yorkshire....straight up the side of a hill, as the crow flies! :-)