closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 68 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Another great day to be out and about on my bike:

Toddy, is that Farleton Knot

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Do you ride it with the saddle like that den? I’d be sliding off the front & my arms would be killing me
    Yes I do mate, I think it's a hangover from riding TT bikes IM distances over the last ten years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Yes I do mate, I think it's a hangover from riding TT bikes IM distances over the last ten years.
    Well I guess it didn’t do Nick Bowdler any harm. British Best All Rounder in 2008 & 2009. Check out the size of his chain ring!

Well I guess it didn’t do Nick Bowdler any harm. British Best All Rounder in 2008 & 2009. Check out the size of his chain ring!

Beautiful! Those front spokes look a bit "dainty" but I'm sure they do the job.

Master
    Blog Entries

What happened to Nick? Did he give up after all the fuss over his innovations?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    What happened to Nick? Did he give up after all the fuss over his innovations?
    I don’t know…maybe his legs snapped turning that 77 tooth chainring with 165 cranks!

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...the-bbar-91973

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Toddy, is that Farleton Knot
    No mate, it's looking at Grizedale Pike (Whinlatter pass to the leftish😁). I'm just over an hour away from Farleton Knot which is close to Kendal....as you probably know👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    No mate, it's looking at Grizedale Pike (Whinlatter pass to the leftish). I'm just over an hour away from Farleton Knot which is close to Kendal....as you probably know
    Beautiful scenery

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t know…maybe his legs snapped turning that 77 tooth chainring with 165 cranks!

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...the-bbar-91973
    That looks crazy - he must have had some strength in his legs to go for a shorter crank with that chain ring!

Master
    Out twice on this glorious week, first ride out on the mtb this year. In the hills overlooking the Dee.

Secondly yesterday a forty miler with my wife, where we saw this Napier at the lunch stop. Its claim to fame was a recent appearance in Peaky blinders.

However the Napier palls into the shade compared to this Jaguar seen two weeks ago in a pub car park

A 2021 model year , yes you read that right Jaguar Continuation XKC

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 24th March 2022 at 08:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    That looks crazy - he must have had some strength in his legs to go for a shorter crank with that chain ring!
    Reading the article he favoured a cadence of 65 rpm. Can you imagine what his quads and glutes must have felt like at that level of effort.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Reading the article he favoured a cadence of 65 rpm. Can you imagine what his quads and glutes must have felt like at that level of effort.
    I can't begin to imagine (nor those of any serious cyclist!). But really good to read about success for someone who was determined to plough their own furrow.

Master
    Blog Entries
    His legs were relatively stick like as well. Always raced in longs whatever the weather

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    New studies indicate it actually doesn’t make that much difference in terms of leverage when you consider you have a more open hip angle with the shorter cranks. The longer crank/more leverage is old school thinking apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A legend, that chainring, the seat / position, his cadence, all wrong according to the old school thinking, but his results say it all.

Master

Bike computer

Does anybody have experience of owning/using a Wahoo Element Bolt 2 computer?
    I wondered what you thoughts were.

Cheers

Popped into Powys for my long ride this weekend

Lovely weather and some classic cars shared the road with me.

Blog Entries
    Finally got round to putting my new wheels on, BORG45's from the Cycle Clinic. First ride today too, boy are they fun. Bank Holiday weekend, sun's out, new wheels, life is great again.

Last edited by ~dadam02~; 15th April 2022 at 13:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Does anybody have experience of owning/using a Wahoo Element Bolt 2 computer?
    I wondered what you thoughts were.

Cheers
    Klunk cant comment on the 2 but I have been running an Elemnt Bolt for 3 years. Its been faultless. It updates over air, Strava updates over air. The companion app on my iphone is really fast and features such as “ take me to” are brill. Battery life is certainly not 12 hours, prob closer to 9/10.

The 2, apart from being about £80 dearer than the (1) is a colour screen and re routes you. My pal has one , so if we are sharing a route my bolt will light up the LEDs to say off course, but nothing more. His Elemnt 2 re routes hime in a different colour just like the sat nav in a car.

I use the two provided mounts and a quick mod to my old garmin mounts mean I can use the computer on four bikes.

I cant compare to modern Garmin with Modern Wahoo , because I came from a five year old Edge 200 which was all wired uploads.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by higham5; 15th April 2022 at 16:02.

Blog Entries
    Thinking of riding London to Brighton over the next couple of weeks. It's been a good few years since I did this route but if I recall most of it is along major roads, which when cordoned off are fine to ride. But since they won't be I imagine it won't be as much fun to ride. Has anyone else got any alternative London Brighton routes, still road, but something a little more scenic?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Klunk cant comment on the 2 but I have been running an Elemnt Bolt for 3 years. Its been faultless. It updates over air, Strava updates over air. The companion app on my iphone is really fast and features such as “ take me to” are brill. Battery life is certainly not 12 hours, prob closer to 9/10.

The 2, apart from being about £80 dearer than the (1) is a colour screen and re routes you. My pal has one , so if we are sharing a route my bolt will light up the LEDs to say off course, but nothing more. His Elemnt 2 re routes hime in a different colour just like the sat nav in a car.

I use the two provided mounts and a quick mod to my old garmin mounts mean I can use the computer on four bikes.

I cant compare to modern Garmin with Modern Wahoo , because I came from a five year old Edge 200 which was all wired uploads.

Hope this helps
    Much appreciated, since my post I’ve read various reviews on the Bolt and comparable Garmins and pretty much made up my mind to get the Bolt.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thinking of riding London to Brighton over the next couple of weeks. It's been a good few years since I did this route but if I recall most of it is along major roads, which when cordoned off are fine to ride. But since they won't be I imagine it won't be as much fun to ride. Has anyone else got any alternative London Brighton routes, still road, but something a little more scenic?
    You might need to remind me tomorrow but yes, can send a route starting from Esher. Or if you let me know where you are coming from I can adapt it.

Took part in the Lakeland Loop this weekend

One of the better ways to burn off those Easter eggs. 70 miles around the Lakes District including going over a few steep and scary passes, particularly the 30% + climb on Hardknott Pass. Great sportive worth a try if you like your hills.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    You might need to remind me tomorrow but yes, can send a route starting from Esher. Or if you let me know where you are coming from I can adapt it.
    Yes pls, thank you. Funnily enough I'm just next door in Claygate so Esher is good for me.

As a complete beginner to cycling what bike would the TZ massive recommend…..
    Im looking to do the Loch Ness Etape next year as it’s on my doorstep.
    I’ll most likely look to join a club or go out early in the morning during the summer.
    Any other advice is most welcome 😀

Craftsman
    I would recommend you go for comfort and ideally pre-owned by a fastidous mate who wants to upgrade. New, my benchmark is Decathlon cycles. Not a lot out there at mo and prices are going one way.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    I would recommend you go for comfort and ideally pre-owned by a fastidous mate who wants to upgrade. New, my benchmark is Decathlon cycles. Not a lot out there at mo and prices are going one way.
    A bit like golf clubs, I will probably go down the second hand route, just an absolute minefield on what to choose!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    As a complete beginner to cycling what bike would the TZ massive recommend…..
    Im looking to do the Loch Ness Etape next year as it’s on my doorstep.
    I’ll most likely look to join a club or go out early in the morning during the summer.
    Any other advice is most welcome 
    Well you need a road bike ... and then the next question is what is your budget followed by do you care about the latest or will old but still good be acceptable?

Also - do you know what size you need?

Well you need a road bike ... and then the next question is what is your budget followed by do you care about the latest or will old but still good be acceptable?

Also - do you know what size you need?
    Budget is flexible, old but good is acceptable.
    I’m 6.2ft.
    Can you get tyres that basically don’t get burst, I don’t mind paying for things like that!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m 6.2ft.
    Can you get tyres that basically don’t get burst, I don’t mind paying for things like that!!

Well I guess you need a 58 frame, I’d see what’s on eBay and maybe get a high end older bike in 10 speed.

No such thing as tyres that don’t have a risk of puncture but Gatorskins have a good reputation.

This one is nice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284785540...mis&media=COPY

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m 6.2ft.

Tubeless with sealant. You might get punctured but you probably won’t realise it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tubeless with sealant. You might get punctured but you probably won’t realise it.
    I’ve been on tubeless for years but I’m not sure I’d recommend it for a new rider as it can be a pain to set up.

Master
    Well I guess you need a 58 frame, I’d see what’s on eBay and maybe get a high end older bike in 10 speed.

No such thing as tyres that don’t have a risk of puncture but Gatorskins have a good reputation.
    I'd say a 56 frame is a better bet, I'm 6'1" and a bit and it's my preferred size. Also it's easier to adjust a bike that's too small than too big.

In the last 33,000 miles of road cycling I've had a ride interrupted by a puncture twice so it shouldn't be a big worry, but I agree about Gatorskins. The big thing with any tyre is replacing it when it's wearing a bit thin.

It is certainly nice.

But a £2k carbon bike with Di2 as a first bike??!? I reckon a nice ally bike with mechanical 105 would probably be a better starting point.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    It is certainly nice.

But a £2k carbon bike with Di2 as a first bike??!? I reckon a nice ally bike with mechanical 105 would probably be a better starting point.
    I disagree slightly as electronic is now pretty standard as a serious starter bike and you’ll only buy cheap buy twice. 105 is superb but Di2 has dropped in price and performance and is a breeze for anyone to use now, see less shifting and Garmin / Wahoo integration has come into it own
    RIAC

The Di2 isn’t the issue. It’s the £2k price of a first bike. 😂

This would be a much more sensible first foray into road bikes: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325159332839

Or this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114986740885

Or this etc etc
    Last edited by Bravo73; 26th April 2022 at 12:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Di2 isn’t the issue. It’s the £2k price of a first bike. 

This would be a much more sensible first foray into road bikes: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325159332839

Or this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114986740885

Or this etc etc
    All depends on the budget, no reason why a new rider should be limited to a lower spec’ed bike.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve been on tubeless for years but I’m not sure I’d recommend it for a new rider as it can be a pain to set up.
    I always get my LBS to change my tyres, it's easier for me to pull an extra tooth than get involved!

Master
    All depends on the budget, no reason why a new rider should be limited to a lower spec’ed bike.
    Agree with this. You want to feel inspired to get on the bike. I’ve always had bikes much better than me, but I’ve always enjoyed riding them more as a result.

Grand Master
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Agree with this. You want to feel inspired to get on the bike. I’ve always had bikes much better than me, but I’ve always enjoyed riding them more as a result.
    Best advise I got when I started to lean guitar was buy the one you like the look of, you’ll want to pick it up more often. Same with bikes, the fancier they are the more you want to put your left over it!!!
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always get my LBS to change my tyres, it's easier for me to pull an extra tooth than get involved!
    Don’t think anyone will pay me to pull a tooth but I’m willing to have a go.

It is certainly nice.

Like many things in life, there's a lot of willy waving involved, and how's a man to be taken seriously without electric gears!?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Like many things in life, there's a lot of willy waving involved, and how's a man to be taken seriously without electric gears!?
    Electronic gears function better and require zero maintenance. Nothing to do with Willy waving.

Electronic gears function better and require zero maintenance. Nothing to do with Willy waving.
    Zero maintenance? Very impressive!

Master
    You don't even have to oil anything and nothing ever needs changing. And it's definitely really easy to reinstall internal wires.

Grand Master
    I think he is referring more to the trimming and precision of gears which is a pain sometimes. Electric is no longer a luxury its actually mainstream on most of the Specialized Tarmacs now. SRAM makes things even easier just bolt it on and go. No wires. Truly great for building up and maintaining. But regardless get a great bike that makes you smile and spends more time on the road and its a very rewarding sport / pastime and itll add life to your days and days to your life
    RIAC

Master
    Yeah, I was just being facetious.

I'm a Luddite who likes to be able to fix anything himself but electric is a good option for the fit and forget crowd.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Yeah, I was just being facetious.

I'm a Luddite who likes to be able to fix anything himself but electric is a good option for the fit and forget crowd.
    I do all my own maintenance and also have some vintage bikes that have been well regarded in shows.

If you have a bike with electronic gears they stay perfect… I have done 50,000km on my Canyon and never once have I had to re index my gears.

Of course I have to maintain the drive chain but that’s a different question.

In addition hydraulic breaks are also significantly less maintenance than cables.

So for people not into such things a modern bike is much easier to own.

Journeyman
    Interesting news - which forum section does this go in?! https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fab...team-for-2023/

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    Interesting news - which forum section does this go in?! https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fab...team-for-2023/

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Exciting and a great team strip
    RIAC