closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 35 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on MTB's for road. A hybrid is essentially a hardtail MTB stylee frame with or without suspension forks and there are plenty of those around and a Steel framed racer is a different kof to a carbon one. That's all I have to say.
    There's a use case for MTB and hybrid but it's not what I would consider optimal for someone looking to get exercise or travel distances of more than a several miles at a time on a well-paved surface. Lots of people bike for a bit of fun, a short commute, or a trip to the store, which is another story.

In the end the best bike is the one you actually want to get out and ride, and for many people that won't be a road bike even if they bike on the road.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just ordered (kind of) a new Sirrus 4.0 to replace my wannabe hybrid Hardrock. So hard to find a bicycle at the minute, everywhere is sold out. The Sirrus is due into the shop on the 31st and to me sometime after, just need the cycle to work provider to issue me a code for the retailer to process. Was close to getting a gravel bike as I previously had a basic Allez a few years back but I don't fancy lyrics or cleats. Hopefully by the time a code is produced this won't be sold out again!

If I've made a terrible mistake in the Sirrus I'm more than happy to be told so and change my order. After days and days of YouTube I just gave up and ordered!
    I am on my second sirrus, the current one quite a few years old. Have found them a great machine, light and responsive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post
    Kudos, amazing performance - 270w = X.Xw/kg? I'm just trying to get an idea of the effort that took. Insane. Mserable. Well done.
    Thanks. It's about 3.6W/kg for that length of effort, but it's a long way! If it's only 10 minutes I can do about 5W/kg.

The speed's at least as much about aerodynamics as power. Especially when you're spending a lot of time above 30mph. There is a cube root relationship between speed and power. That is to say, a given increase in speed requires a cubed increase in power. So in the extreme case, in order to double your speed, you need approximately 8 times as much power.

A rider moving at 20mph would need approximately 18W more power to travel at 21mph if all other factors stayed the same. But to increase by the same 1mph from 29mph to 30mph it would need an extra 35W, almost double. So the faster you're going, relatively more effort is needed to go even faster. So you try to make yourself & your bike more slippery!!

I look on it as 'free speed'. I've been in the Mercedes Formula 1 wind tunnel at Brackley near Silverstone and my best CdA was 0.172. I won't be quite a slippery as that in this photo, but not far off.

By the way, that Merlin frameset is class :-) It would look great built up with everything else in black.

Master
    Love a TT bike.

Master
    On my TT bike at the Triathlon National Relays last year. Now swapped the aero bars for flatter ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    When I said Mtb's can be used on the road I'm going on my own experience in that my Rockhopper hardtail makes a good road/commuter with road tyres and fork lockout but still able to hop over curbs and deal with potholes. Never ever try to 'bunnyhop' a 8Kg carbon fibre racer over an obstacle.
    Rockhopper is a great bike and after this scheme is finished I'll probably go back for a hard tail or Sirrus X depending on how the Diverge goes. Your bunny hop comment has me worried now though, might have to get insurance!

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    I bought a 105 Topstone last year and have loved it. The Specialized Diverge was my preference but the ones within my budget didn't have Hydraulic brakes and mechanical discs are a faff to adjust, whereas I haven't touched my hydraulics since fitting new wheels. I think Specialized started to fit hydraulics on their lesser models from 2020 onwards. I haven't really looked at the new 2021 range, I assume they have now introduced GRX 2x? I'm more than happy with my Topstone 105 though, it's tackled everything from tarmac, rough gravel cycle tracks to some light trail use with aplomb.
    I was more keen on the Topstone as I don't like the colour schemes available on the Specialized models but then the 2021 was announced and the closest bike shop on the scheme doesn't stock Cannondale so decision made. Didn't want the bike posted. I've gone with the Carbon Base which is SRAM Apex 1x GXP, not sure if the other models have. Looks like 2x is Shimano from a glance.

Craftsman
    I don't need a mountain bike as I won't be going off road and most road bikes seem to have those racing style handle bars which I don't like so a hybrid is the route I have chosen to go down as you get the best of both worlds. Will just use it for long cycles around london for now and when the lockdown starts to ease up, will use it to commute to work as I doubt public transport will be operating at full capacity

Think I'm gonna stick with my choice of the bad boy 2. Shops I've contacted say they expect more stock towards the end of June which suits me quite well as that is when I will receive the cyclescheme vouchers from work

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Odd that you don't get the vouchers on demand. If you wanted one earlier there is stock of the specialized Sirrus 4.0 at the end of May.

Craftsman
    The month and a half delay is quite annoying. We have an online benefits system and applying for it now means my cycle scheme begins in June, with the first payment being deducted from my June salary and that is when I've been told the vouchers will be sent out

Craftsman
    Yes we have the same and I am waiting as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    The month and a half delay is quite annoying. We have an online benefits system and applying for it now means my cycle scheme begins in June, with the first payment being deducted from my June salary and that is when I've been told the vouchers will be sent out

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

At least you'll probably end up with new 2021 bikes instead. Weirdly I had one shop offer to sell a bike now and then whenever my cycle scheme voucher turned up I could pop back in and they'd process a refund and then sell me the same bike again using the cycle scheme voucher. Didn't take them up on it and not sure it's fully kosher but interesting nonetheless.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've just ordered one of these... always liked Dolan track bikes, and their current road spec frame is very light for the price (around 980g for a large) so this should be quite rapid once I've put my Dura-Ace wheels on it.

to replace this as I sold the frame and groupset earlier this year to a friend who had the same bike but lost it in an accident. I kept the Rotor cranks and all the lovely Fi'zi:k bits (bars, stem, seatpost, saddle) which I will put on the new bike.

My other steed is an off-road whippet

Downloaded Strava on 6th May and have been really enjoying tracking my rides. A lot more accurate than the Google maps history and gives you a nice history to look back on. Also fully communicates with Google health, the same as my Withings scales, which is nice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I've just ordered one of these... always liked Dolan track bikes, and their current road spec frame is very light for the price (around 980g for a large) so this should be quite rapid once I've put my Dura-Ace wheels on it.

I have a Dolan Tuono I bought off SC here! Very happy with mine

The upgrades to my Boardman HYB 8.8 has started

Giro Cylinder Mountain Bike Shoes

Shimano EH500 Pedals

I went for double sided pedals so I could just ride down the town in trainers if I wanted to.

Just a quick ride as it's very hot today, but my first go with clip in shoes was a revelation. No tumbles either - extracting seemed pretty easy, but the pedals are on their loosest setting to start with.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post

My other steed is an off-road whippet

I’ve his older brother from 2012(?) still a great bike now relegated to winter use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The upgrades to my Boardman HYB 8.8 has started

Giro Cylinder Mountain Bike Shoes

Shimano EH500 Pedals

I went for double sided pedals so I could just ride down the town in trainers if I wanted to.

Just a quick ride as it's very hot today, but my first go with clip in shoes was a revelation. No tumbles either - extracting seemed pretty easy, but the pedals are on their loosest setting to start with.
    I had shimano double sided clip ins on my Cube Stereo but after one too many fall as I just couldn’t get use to unhooking quickly when putting a foot down when Corning a bit too fast or when bailing. Found them great for climbing but not so much for the decent but probably more to do my me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

New to road biking having been an MTBer for the last 27 years and I swore I’’d never wear Lycra. One pair of bib shorts later and that went out of the window.

Anyhow, picked this up a reco from a road biking pal and adore the speed and the rewards that hard effort brings:

Cannondale synapse Ultegra. Just bought tubeless tyres too and will be fitting those tomorrow before inevitably buying new wheels (the area I can benefit most from apparently on this bike).

After weeks of going to Bike shops and searching the internet finally managed to find a bike.

I’ve ordered a Cannondale quick 5 should be with me 2nd of June. I wanted the quick 4 but when this appeared in stock I didn’t want to risk losing it waiting for a quick 4 so just bought it , glad I did as it sold out again .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    New to road biking having been an MTBer for the last 27 years and I swore I’’d never wear Lycra. One pair of bib shorts later and that went out of the window.

Anyhow, picked this up a reco from a road biking pal and adore the speed and the rewards that hard effort brings:

Cannondale synapse Ultegra. Just bought tubeless tyres too and will be fitting those tomorrow before inevitably buying new wheels (the area I can benefit most from apparently on this bike).
    Beware. Not all tubeless tyres with all rims. Certain ones work best with certain rims. Similarly sealants can vary. The cycle clinic has a blog on this subject. www.thecycleclinic.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Beware. Not all tubeless tyres with all rims. Certain ones work best with certain rims. Similarly sealants can vary. The cycle clinic has a blog on this subject. www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
    Well to be frank I’m also looking at new upgrade wheels to seat said tubeless on and have a spare pair of winter/gravel wheels too so these may not end up being fitted at all on the current set up. I don’t need new wheels of course but I also don’t need more than one watch...

Thanks for the info though

Master

I have three bikes , a mtb , a gravel and a road bike. It still amazes me how a bikes like a Synapse feels, the acceleration and ability to climb is staggering. I just nipped out for an hour this evening on the mtb ( Wales still on full lockdown) around our local woods, It felt like a tractor compared to the road bike I have been using almost exclusively recently.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 24th May 2020 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I have three bikes , a mtb , a gravel and a road bike. It still amazes me how a bikes like a Synapse feels, the acceleration and ability to climb is staggering. I just nipped out for an hour this evening on the mtb ( Wales still on full lockdown) around our local woods, It felt like a tractor compared to the road bike I have been using almost exclusively recently.

Steve
    I do a 35km ish route and prior to getting this was doing it on my Yeti 575 with light ish kit, slicks on Easton XC2 wheels, lockout shocks etc etc in around 1hr 35. First ride out on the Synapse: 1hr 18 and it’s coming down every time. The speed is just infectious and even going up hills is actually fun*

*relatively

Master
    I do a 35km ish route and prior to getting this was doing it on my Yeti 575 with light ish kit, slicks on Easton XC2 wheels, lockout shocks etc etc in around 1hr 35. First ride out on the Synapse: 1hr 18 and it’s coming down every time. The speed is just infectious and even going up hills is actually fun*

*relatively
    It was a Yeti 575 with 2.3 knobbly tyres I was on tonight, it was torturous on the road to the woods , then the fun began......

Good to see your times tumbling, once you get into it you may consider another upgrade by moving from SPD’s to full Shimano SLR pedals and really rigid shoes
    Last edited by higham5; 25th May 2020 at 07:48.

Master
    Nice day. I think I'll hop on my Planet X and crank out 100 miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    After weeks of going to Bike shops and searching the internet finally managed to find a bike.

I’ve ordered a Cannondale quick 5 should be with me 2nd of June. I wanted the quick 4 but when this appeared in stock I didn’t want to risk losing it waiting for a quick 4 so just bought it , glad I did as it sold out again .
    I bought a couple of Quick Disc 4s for the family back in February when loads of stock was available and you could even get sizeable discounts. The bike world has changed post Coronavirus.

An excellent and very nippy bike for roads and light trails. The family is very pleased with them. They came with 30mm tyres, and may change to 35mm if time on the trails outweighs time on the road.

This range does come up smaller than my Bad Boy. I’m 175cm and a medium on a Bad Boy, but large on a Quick.

Master
    Me and a few mates have decided we want to try triathlons. Couple of the group are super fit (not me) this year I have dropped the heavy weights and changed to running as the injuries were becoming annoying.
    I've dropped from 102kgs to 94kgs and my times while not considered fast are pretty decent for my size according to strava.

I have an old hybrid and a mountain bike which I use for taking my little boys out but now I need a road bike.

Having never ridden one before its quite a mine field! I've been to a load of bike shops and none of them seem to have anything to fit my size and budget at this moment and time.

I've been looking through FB groups/gumtree too.

Any other ideas?

I'm about 6'2" would spend anything upto £1k I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Me and a few mates have decided we want to try triathlons. Couple of the group are super fit (not me) this year I have dropped the heavy weights and changed to running as the injuries were becoming annoying.
    I've dropped from 102kgs to 94kgs and my times while not considered fast are pretty decent for my size according to strava.

I have an old hybrid and a mountain bike which I use for taking my little boys out but now I need a road bike.

Having never ridden one before its quite a mine field! I've been to a load of bike shops and none of them seem to have anything to fit my size and budget at this moment and time.

I've been looking through FB groups/gumtree too.

Any other ideas?

I'm about 6'2" would spend anything upto £1k I suppose
    I've been riding a Rose Pro SL3000 for several years, the Pro SL 105 is about your price range, there may be something in their sale. Their UK chap was great work with when I contacted him about upgrades and compatibility before buying.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Nice day. I think I'll hop on my Planet X and crank out 100 miles or so.
    Alas, I only did 97.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Alas, I only did 97.
    What stopped you doing the other 3 or so?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've been riding a Rose Pro SL3000 for several years, the Pro SL 105 is about your price range, there may be something in their sale. Their UK chap was great work with when I contacted him about upgrades and compatibility before buying.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk
    I really like the look of them but delivery is 7 weeks.

My mum works for Halfords and they have ran out of bikes but she may have found me one in a another store. Its a Boardman 8.9 SLR carbon.
    With the discount she will get on it I would probably be mad not to buy it so will wait to see what happens with that.

Looking at the reviews it should be a really good entry point and with a full Carbon frame I suppose if I want to upgrade any of the bits in a little while I can

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What stopped you doing the other 3 or so?
    The traffic was heavier than I expected in Northampton so I didn't penetrate the town as far as I intended. I could have extended my ride a bit on the way back but didn't bother.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The traffic was heavier than I expected in Northampton so I didn't penetrate the town as far as I intended. I could have extended my ride a bit on the way back but didn't bother.
    I've done 98.4 miles in the past & was beyond caring about doing the extra 1.6. However I did 125.1 miles recently which was a record for me. I had a bacon sandwich in my back pocket which I had at about 80 miles which I think clinched it.

Master
    Refuelling is important on a long ride, certainly. I like to stop at a pub so I'm looking forward to being able to do that again. My record is 179 miles in 2017 and I'd like to beat that this year if I can, but circumstances aren't quite right at the moment. I've done a few 100 milers this year, though.

Just come back in from a nice ride with the little one on my Cinelli, love the old school frame and riding single speed is quite refreshing especially up a hill lol...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just come back in from a nice ride with the little one on my Cinelli, love the old school frame and riding single speed is quite refreshing especially up a hill lol...

There's something pure about riding fixed. No need to think about whether to change up or down because you only have one gear & have to get over all terrain with that. The fixed gear takes you over the dead spot. It pedals you as well as you pedal it. Plus the bike is simpler so there's less to go wrong with it, and it's lighter due to the reduced number of components. Nice bike as well.

That looks like freewheel not fixed, especially with flats!?

This arrived a few days ago. Had been searching for weeks and everything was sold out . Then this randomly came up , quickly bought it .

Loving the evening rides at the moment !

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A relatively low speed head on collision with a Ford Focus who had decided to encroach into the cycle lane while taking a sharp corner, and as I was coming the other way. I came out of it unscathed. The complete collapse and deformation of the front wheel helped adsorb the impact and there was no damage to the lefty fork/hub.

I've found the downside of owning a lefty. If anything does go wrong, you can't just replace the front wheel because of the specialist hub. You have to get a new rim anda wheel build. Luckily there was a witness who said that it was the car drivers fault, and he's paying for the repairs.

My Bad Boy is back with a new DT Swiss front rim (decals removed), and while I've been using a Cannondale Quick for the last month, it has been no match for darting around urban areas with the Bad Boy.

I don't know if there's any love for Evans Cycles, but if your not too precious with your bike, I found the wheel building service excellent and bloody cheap as chips. £40 including stainless steel spokes (a little more for black), nipples and labour. I could barely buy the parts for that, and then there's the risk of calculating the wrong spoke lengths, not having a truing stand etc.

Getting back into cycling after a few years off with young kids.

I am starting to remember how terrible my saddle is!!

I am looking at getting a Stella Italia SLR SuperFlow. It’s a little expensive at 120 but for me being comfortable is worth it!! It gets really good reviews and I would go for the wide version. Anyone got one? Or recommend another saddle?

Tough mountain biking / trail bike ride for a 54 year old just getting back to it this afternoon. 2000ft of climbing in 18.5 miles including a long hill near the finish with 2 brutal sections, one of 24 and the other at 26%. I had to push for the steepest 100m. The heat didn’t help.

I’ll certainly sleep well tonight.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Getting back into cycling after a few years off with young kids.

I am starting to remember how terrible my saddle is!!

I am looking at getting a Stella Italia SLR SuperFlow. It’s a little expensive at 120 but for me being comfortable is worth it!! It gets really good reviews and I would go for the wide version. Anyone got one? Or recommend another saddle?
    I have a sella italia SLR , I did the sit bone check to get the right size first. Great saddles, often less than £120 though

Master
    [QUOTE=noTAGlove;5431813]My Bad Boy is back with a new DT Swiss front rim (decals removed), and while I've been using a Cannondale Quick for the last month, it has been no match for darting around urban areas with the Bad Boy.

I don't know if there's any love for Evans Cycles, but if your not too precious with your bike, I found the wheel building service excellent and bloody cheap as chips. £40 including stainless steel spokes (a little more for black), nipples and labour. I could barely buy the parts for that, and then there's the risk of calculating the wrong spoke lengths, not having a truing stand etc.

Thats a good deal I paid £10 for ONE spoke ,two weeks ago !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I have a sella italia SLR , I did the sit bone check to get the right size first. Great saddles, often less than £120 though
    Sit bone test is essential, fit is everything. I spent a couple of years in great discomfort until finally getting a proper fit done. On the face of it, the saddle I have (a Prologo) is like a board but I can ride hours on end with no issue on it.

Many moons ago I had a well worn Brooks B17. I wish I had never let it go. I tried one again, did 500 training miles, then 500 on the trip. Purgatory all the way. Now I buy the Rivet Pearl. Looks similar to the Brooks, but has a slot cut into it. I have no idea if leather saddles are in fashion or not. I rarely wear padded shorts so sometimes I get a tingly bag. I should probably move around more on the saddle. Mine are fitted to touring bikes so relatively upright, but not Dutch upright.

The lightly padded saddle that came with my Brooks HYB 8.8 was too narrow for me @ 135mm. My mate lent me a 143mm wide, slightly shorter Specialized saddle with almost no padding - Much, much better.

Either measured up and / or try before you by. Some shops will lend you a saddle.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    This arrived a few days ago. Had been searching for weeks and everything was sold out . Then this randomly came up , quickly bought it .

Loving the evening rides at the moment !
    Nice looking bike and you're spoiled for choice with routes where you are. Moved 8 months ago and never went into Epping Forest once, now I'm cycling through it most nights and can't believe I didn't venture in sooner.

Master
    I've gone with the Carbon Base which is SRAM Apex 1x GXP, not sure if the other models have. Looks like 2x is Shimano from a glance.
    Snap!

Nice looking bike and you're spoiled for choice with routes where you are. Moved 8 months ago and never went into Epping Forest once, now I'm cycling through it most nights and can't believe I didn't venture in sooner.
    Cannot tell you how relieved I was this came up. One call to a gumtree ad- put me off that .Ebay bikes were going for silly money.

Had a lovely ride at 7:30am over to Shenley today. beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Snap!
    Jealous! I've ordered and paid for mine but the shop won't get then in until the end of June so I have to wait. What do you think of it? Is the 1x ok? Honestly can't wait.