closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384
Results 4,151 to 4,164 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Certainly could do with a clean!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just had another look and there's definitely no pin hole.

Unless there's some other wacky way of doing it I can only presume the compression nut does it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Certainly could do with a clean!

It's filthy, gets used every day in all weathers!

Master
    This is strange, I google imaged the XTR M960 chainset and from the pictures that came up the none of the non-driveside crank arms have the locking plate pin thing (no.9) on the Shimano M960 pdf!

Is the compression bolt plastic or metal, if metal then I'm guessing that you do it up nice and tight, then the crank arm bolts and keep your fingers crossed!

Craftsman
    Hi, crack on without the security tab. It serves no actual function once you have lightly tightened the preload plastic cap by hand. Any over zealous tightening will just ruin bearings. Do check your Bottom bracket is 68 or 73 mm and the correct spacer is there for 68. Do tighten each crank arm offside bolt alternatively with a torque wrench. I once just walked in one tight then the other and sheared a bolt. Be aware replacement rings will be an issue. They have a very odd BCD , a one off for Shimano .

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Hi, crack on without the security tab. It serves no actual function once you have lightly tightened the preload plastic cap by hand. Any over zealous tightening will just ruin bearings. Do check your Bottom bracket is 68 or 73 mm and the correct spacer is there for 68. Do tighten each crank arm offside bolt alternatively with a torque wrench. I once just walked in one tight then the other and sheared a bolt. Be aware replacement rings will be an issue. They have a very odd BCD , a one off for Shimano .
    This advice is spot on. The compression cap isn't holding the crank arm on, hand tight to engage the bearings is all you need here

Then all you have left is the 2 cinch bolts, tighten them alternatively and equally.

When it's off give it a good clean, looks like a small crack on the BB bearing cover, so possibly need a new BB in the not too distant future

Last edited by xxnick1975; 18th February 2024 at 13:49.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I've tightened the arm bolts properly, left and right one crank at a time etc.

I can't see any cracks anywhere, might be shadows or general filth unless you can put an arrow where you can see?

I replaced the O ring, there was one there and sitting neatly into the arm but I have it a wipe down and the new one looks better.

The bolt I think is plastic, I've got a hand tool to tighten it so I haven't been aggressive. The bolt has a collared neck which seats into the arm so if it doesn't move I can't see how the arm can.

I could use my Dremel to notch something for the pin but I'm not overly keen on that.

It's all very complicated for my tiny mind...

Sounds like you've got it sorted.

No big deal re the BB, just if you use it in all weather you might get some crap in there over time

Master
    Blog Entries
    Checked the other photos I has taken and it's definitely not cracked, looks more like a scratch.

Ill keep an eye on it this week and worse case I'll cut a groove into it for the pin.

I'm doing serious speeds on it since the e-conversion so don't like anything feeling off.

Thanks for the advice all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Checked the other photos I has taken and it's definitely not cracked, looks more like a scratch.

Ill keep an eye on it this week and worse case I'll cut a groove into it for the pin.

I'm doing 15.5 mph on it since the e-conversion so don't like anything feeling off.

Thanks for the advice all.
    Fixed it for you :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Fixed it for you :)
    Hahaha yes that sounds about right on the road. I have nudged 33 on my private runway though but I can't sustain that with my chicken legs

Master
    Blog Entries
    Morning, continuing to keep an eye on it daily until my paranoia subsides but it's not moved at all, so very happy. Thanks for the advice.

Chap in a builders van was belly laughing at me this week as a overtook him 👍

Sun was out yesterday, continuing to test the new one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post

Sun was out yesterday, continuing to test the new one.
    At a risk of repeating myself from my previous post “ that is the dogs danglies” of mtbs.

That Curtis, so good it stands up by itself. Lovely!