closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 42 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

£64.40 after discount but still outrageous. Will be here tomorrow. Now to see if I need one more on the other side when it starts to get dark and I'm commuting on it.

Seat bag blocks the rear light too much have two lights on the back so might have to find a different place for the puncture repair kit and house keys etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Any tips of things to eat before a ride? I much prefer to be out on the road early, say 6:30/7am but also not an early eater. I've noticed feeling sluggish, but later in the morning after breakfast etc much more perky and energetic. So, any tips on things to eat early to provide some fuel?
    Bananas. I did my first 100k ride last weekend setting off at 7am. I ate some cereal before setting off and a couple of bananas during, plus a brownie and an SIS gel. Eating something every 25km.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Anyone got any any top advise on which bike computer with decent mapping to buy . I may hang on and see what appears on amazon prime day when it happens so just lookingbto do some research for a 16yr old . My son has just got the cycle bug andvtaken my racer back to swindon and currently qite happy getting lost on 50 to 80 mile rides alone. I think it may help him find his home as he doesn't have carrier pigeon skills :)
    Just a little on what he is using, which is my old shimano flightdeck and using the Strava app.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    I also have an Edge 130 although I don't use the mapping function, never really tried it. I have a Garmin eTrex 20x - more intended for hikers than cyclists I believe, but you can get handlebar mounts for them and I've found it really useful for long rides in unfamiliar territory.

It can be used SatNav style so that it gives turn-by-turn directions, but I find it most useful just to upload the route (or "track") to it (in GPX form) and follow the purple line on the map. Downsides are that it's a bit bulky and it's best to run it with the screen coming on for half a minute when you hit a button, not the whole time - to spare the batteries. A big upside for me is that it takes AAs, so can be replenished on a long ride by a visit to a garage or village shop if necessary.

There are also some excellent free GPX apps for Android that do much the same thing in conjunction with Google Maps. Come to think of it the Strava phone app allows you to follow a route on a map, and that's very handy because you can set up the routes from the Strava web interface on a desktop PC. But as of a couple of months ago you need a paid Strava subscription to use their Routes function.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Any tips of things to eat before a ride? I much prefer to be out on the road early, say 6:30/7am but also not an early eater. I've noticed feeling sluggish, but later in the morning after breakfast etc much more perky and energetic. So, any tips on things to eat early to provide some fuel?
    I typically have toast, Ready Brek and coffee before a long ride, but the thing is to keep eating. I don't enjoy gels much, but they do help. Bananas are good, as already observed above. Oat bars. I dope with sherbet lemons before a long hill. Mars Bar drink is useful as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Does anyone use and rate the K Edge mounts? I'm trying to use my Wahoo with my Bontrager under it. Seems a lot of money and if I go with 2x front lights 1x wahoo and 1x GoPro for commuting I would need two of them. Quite painful.
    You can get this sort of thing from Amazon, not necessarily manufactured by Wahoo or Garmin but of decent quality, for much less. Even less than that from Aliexpress if you don't mind the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I also have an Edge 130 although I don't use the mapping function, never really tried it. I have a Garmin eTrex 20x - more intended for hikers than cyclists I believe, but you can get handlebar mounts for them and I've found it really useful for long rides in unfamiliar territory.

It can be used SatNav style so that it gives turn-by-turn directions, but I find it most useful just to upload the route (or "track") to it (in GPX form) and follow the purple line on the map. Downsides are that it's a bit bulky and it's best to run it with the screen coming on for half a minute when you hit a button, not the whole time - to spare the batteries. A big upside for me is that it takes AAs, so can be replenished on a long ride by a visit to a garage or village shop if necessary.

There are also some excellent free GPX apps for Android that do much the same thing in conjunction with Google Maps. Come to think of it the Strava phone app allows you to follow a route on a map, and that's very handy because you can set up the routes from the Strava web interface on a desktop PC. But as of a couple of months ago you need a paid Strava subscription to use their Routes function.
    I do have a Garmin Oregon 300 that could work. But think he would want a specific bike computer. But this could be an free option to get him going.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Does anyone use and rate the K Edge mounts? I'm trying to use my Wahoo with my Bontrager under it. Seems a lot of money and if I go with 2x front lights 1x wahoo and 1x GoPro for commuting I would need two of them. Quite painful.
    I got a £15 out front mount from Amazon. It’s done about 1500mi without any problems

Came today as did the light and the adapter. Will fit it to the bike later but overall it looks good.

Master
    Went out for a ride. Found some relevant graffiti 😂

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Went out for a ride. Found some relevant graffiti 

Like that

Pitch

Master
    Great pic, nice one.

Went out for a ride. Found some relevant graffiti 😂
    N+1 indeed. The Langster must be jealous

Master
    N+1 indeed. The Langster must be jealous
    The Langster has gone to make way for this one. It's not only watches I flip 😂

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    One hopes they wont. I do hope that it is a kick up the arse that some need to get fit to avoid dying or a realisation that the joy of 2 wheels is amazing and for life
    It will be for a small minority but otherwise, it absolutely won’t be.
    How many bikes came on cycle to work that got sold pretty quickly? I bought one

And my guess it for most, it won’t be a kick up the arse. Those bikes will gather dust from 6 weeks to 6 months to years sold by people who bought them either out of boredom or because they couldn’t go to the gym.

Yeah they’re nice bits of kit.
    I bought mine second hand on the basis I could buy a mount for Moon light. I couldn’t as they’re like rocking horse sh1t at the moment. So I bought a Lezyne 600XL and a mount. Altogether it’s cost me about £58

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Bananas. I did my first 100k ride last weekend setting off at 7am. I ate some cereal before setting off and a couple of bananas during, plus a brownie and an SIS gel. Eating something every 25km.
    My last 100km (ended up at 120) was breakfast (toast I think), a bacon cob and a bit of cake around the 35 mile mark, I *might* have had a gel and I definitely had a pint at about 103km....

I’ve got the Mrs on a bike this year. From having not ridden a bike for about 15 years, she took a new Cannondale Quick 4 hybrid and 4 miles would about ruin her.
    The last few rides I’ve taken her on have been 25-30 milers (and they almost always involve cake or ice cream - this week’s was a 3 course lunch....)
    She definitely bonks quite hard at about 70 minutes and I need to remember to bring some sweets or something but fair play to her for being able to do it. She likes the bike. To be fair, I liked the bike so I got one too....
    Matching bike w@nkers

Grand Master

Surrey Hills today. Always a pleasure
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I've entered another TT next Monday which is a bit flatter, and apparently the course the national championship will be on, fingers crossed it will be a bit cooler so maybe can go a bit quicker.

25:24 tonight, temperature much kinder and a faster course so my power was better, held up a bit on the roundabout at the turn and I need to work on keeping the power up on downhills as there is one bit I think I lost a bit of time on. Still think I can find a bit more but that's all part of the learning curve

Master
    Blog Entries
    25:24 tonight, temperature much kinder and a faster course so my power was better, held up a bit on the roundabout at the turn and I need to work on keeping the power up on downhills as there is one bit I think I lost a bit of time on. Still think I can find a bit more but that's all part of the learning curve
    Great PB, well done

I'll give you some more tips, mantras even:

Top 3

1. Don't start too hard
    2. Don't start too hard
    & 3. Don't start too hard...if you've got a powermeter it makes it a lot easier.

Believe your powermeter. If you're doing 400W in the first 3 minutes your powermeter is not malfunctioning, you've started too hard and you will really struggle later on. Typically in the third quarter of the race.

If you're going to go too hard, do it at the end, not at the beginning.

Everybody goes fast on the fast bits.

It's not about going fast, it's about not going slow!

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Great PB, well done

Top 3

1. Don't start too hard
    2. Don't start too hard
    & 3. Don't start too hard...if you've got a powermeter it makes it a lot easier.

Believe your powermeter. If you're doing 400W in the first 3 minutes your powermeter is not malfunctioning, you've started too hard and you will really struggle later on. Typically in the third quarter of the race.

You might know about cycling but you're wrong on this...if I'm doing 400w in the first three minutes (or indeed at any time) my powermeter IS malfunctioning.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You might know about cycling but you're wrong on this...if I'm doing 400w in the first three minutes (or indeed at any time) my powermeter IS malfunctioning.
    Haha, well I didn't like to presume.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Great PB, well done

Top 3

1. Don't start too hard
    2. Don't start too hard

Thanks, and sound advice as ever.

Actually, I learnt the hard way doing one of the club's virtual TTs on Zwift during full lockdown that pacing is key. So my tactic was once up to speed to try to keep the watts at target, with a bit extra up the hill to the turn, and also then if I had anything left in the last couple of k to go add a bit. Which is pretty much how it went. I reckon in the same conditions I could find a bit extra but not much TBH.

It's strange how making yourself hurt for twenty odd minutes is fun but it is!

I always kept coming back to Chris Boardman's advice...

Keep asking yourself, how far is it to go and can I keep this pace up for the whole distance... if the answer is 'yes', you're not going hard enough, if the answer is 'no' then you've already gone too hard. The answer you're looking for is 'maybe'.

I went the ebike route as well with one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3iJlfGAxps&t=20s

my rationale was that I had saved so much on fuel during lockdown that I wanted to try and swap the car for the bike.I reckon I've clocked up more distance in the 5 weeks since I got it on leisure rides and commutes than I did the whole year prior. I'm doing 2/3 days in the office at the moment and have a 29 mile round trip. I havent used the car to come to work since the bikes arrival.

The bike still requires some effort but the reality is it makes the route feel even flatter than it is (Cambridgeshire) and effectively cancels out any headwind. I've also invested in some decent winter gear so I have no excuses once the weather sets in.

I've still got 3 FS MTB's, a brompton and my road bike on the Garage. They dont see daylight much at the moment but the MTBs get used when I'm riding with the kids. The Brompton or the roadbike will likely go with my daughter when she heads of to Uni even though I want to keep both ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    I’ve got the Mrs on a bike this year. From having not ridden a bike for about 15 years, she took a new Cannondale Quick 4 hybrid and 4 miles would about ruin her.
    The last few rides I’ve taken her on have been 25-30 milers (and they almost always involve cake or ice cream - this week’s was a 3 course lunch....)
    She definitely bonks quite hard at about 70 minutes and I need to remember to bring some sweets or something but fair play to her for being able to do it. She likes the bike. To be fair, I liked the bike so I got one too....
    Matching bike w@nkers

May I ask which bike wall holdery things those are?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVM View Post
    May I ask which bike wall holdery things those are?
    They are Cycloc Solo

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    They are Cycloc Solo
    Excellent, thanks very much! :D

Master
    Great ride round the New Forest last night with the Hampshire Gravel Cyclists.

Great ride round the New Forest last night with the Hampshire Gravel Cyclists.

Lovely bike!

We rode around the Isle of Wight last Saturday, not the greatest weather (as in rain all day) but enjoyable nevertheless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered my next winter bike, a Bowman Weald, SRAM force 22 disk groupset, Zipp/Thomson finishing kit and wheels to be decided as are the mudguards but I intend to run 28 tubeless.
    My wheelbuilder suggested his carbon rims on unbranded hubs that I guess they are similar to what prime or hunt wheels use (but not Bitex), or I go for DTswiss or Hope for proven reliability with DT470 rims or something similar.
    Trying to keep the build sensible as I already have a Pegoretti for the summer and this needs to be a workhorse although with half decent spec.

This replaces a really nice Chesini I had built that is just too good to stick mudguards on and ride through the winter, anyone want to buy a nice Italian steel frame....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eastbourne and back, 180 mile round trip. Was easier going home.

Master
    Good effort!

Master
    [QUOTE=Montello;5511700]Eastbourne and back, 180 mile round trip. Was easier going home.

Chapeau for that effort

Steve.

I've been thinking about converting my trusty Kona HeiHei to drop bars and a double 10/11 speed set up, in a gravel bike stylee. Lots of obstacles in my way! So far it's looking like 10speed brifters with mini V brakes, 9speed rear mech (comptible with 10sp brifters) and 10 speed cassette. The next and trickiest problem to solve is chainset and BB, or more precisely getting around the MTB 73mm BB shell conundrum when looking for a suitable double chainset. Road BBs are of course 68mm, can lose 5mm off a new Hope BB, they are designed to be either 68 or 73mm, but the problem is the axle of a Hollowtech 2 chainset will probably stillbe too short. Might have to be a 10sp triple set up. 11 speed double would be best as there's a cassette available with a 10 sprocket, needed for a reasonable high gear on 26" wheels. Ho hum, the research continues!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    If you are converting a flat bar bike to a drop bar bike, take into account the increased reach. You could possibly be making the bike too large for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    If you are converting a flat bar bike to a drop bar bike, take into account the increased reach. You could possibly be making the bike too large for you.
    When I bought my Rose several years ago (and subsequently my Felt) I took a lot of detailed measurements from the Kona to get a similar and back friendly position on the bike, albeit a little lower and more stretched. If I do the Kona conversion I'll put the stem on top of the spacer above it and fit a stem to suit. The riding position will be quite similar, but a little less stretched than the road bikes. Ironically, after nearly 50 years of building up and riding bikes it was quite a luxury to buy the Rose and Felt as complete bikes, and here I am building another bike!

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Building the bikes is part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Building the bikes is part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.
    The last build I did was this Avanti, 8speed Campag Record/Chorus etc mix. A lovely 531 frame I found for sale in a bike shop, filthy, covered in stickers, but the lugwork and cast bottom bracket gave away it's real quality. I had it modernised to take Ergo levers with the necessary cable routing and bosses. Just sold it a few days ago as I haven't ridden it in years. I have to say I'm enjoying reading and researching what is need for this possible conversion. The actual spanner work will take a fraction of that time.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    This evening I raced HCC234 that I did two weeks ago - it's fair to say it couldn't have been more different! The temperature was literally half what it was two weeks ago but with a wind of about 25mph gusting to nearly 50.

I managed 26:30 so a bit quicker than last time, but thanks to the cooler conditions I averaged over 30 watts more than last time, but unfortunately the wind meant that my time improvement was limited.

All in all though very pleased, I felt my management of the race was good and I was able to push on in the last 2-3kms nicely.

Blog Entries
    I might of posted before, does anyone have a TZ cycling jersey collecting dust.? I sold mine when a few pounds went on and would like another

Cheers

Pitch

Master
    [QUOTE=Montello;5511700]Eastbourne and back, 180 mile round trip. Was easier going home.

Bikes and piers. This was only a 4 mile round trip though 😜

Grand Master
    RIAC

Master
    From today's short outing

Master

E bikes

My wife has one, she likes being able to get outdoors in the countryside but hates cycling up hills. Having an e-bike means we can go for cafe rides together which would have been impossible before. I have got a few PRs on hills trying to keep up with her as she serenely pedals away in turbo mode!

Also, I remember doing a col in the Ardeches a couple of years ago and had just reached the top when this old chap turned up on an e-bike. He did say he reckoned he'd worked a bit less hard than I had to get to the top! There's no way he'd have been able to go out riding in the mountains without that assistance.

All in all I think they are a great enabling technology for those who want to get outdoors and get a bit of exercise, but are perhaps lacking fitness or maybe a bit overweight. I think back to the miserable time I had on steep climbs when I took up cycling 5 or 6 years ago now and was over 20kg heavier than I am now.
    I live in a pretty hilly area and they kill me so I can sympathise with anyone opting for the electric option. One of the guys in the local club has one and he's not built for speed and the electric bike allows him to come out with us and get up a couple of the hills in every ride that might otherwise put him off; they certainly make me think twice about going out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've been thinking about converting my trusty Kona HeiHei to drop bars and a double 10/11 speed set up, in a gravel bike stylee. Lots of obstacles in my way! So far it's looking like 10speed brifters with mini V brakes, 9speed rear mech (comptible with 10sp brifters) and 10 speed cassette. The next and trickiest problem to solve is chainset and BB, or more precisely getting around the MTB 73mm BB shell conundrum when looking for a suitable double chainset. Road BBs are of course 68mm, can lose 5mm off a new Hope BB, they are designed to be either 68 or 73mm, but the problem is the axle of a Hollowtech 2 chainset will probably stillbe too short. Might have to be a 10sp triple set up. 11 speed double would be best as there's a cassette available with a 10 sprocket, needed for a reasonable high gear on 26" wheels. Ho hum, the research continues!
    when you advised me on the Rose you said you'd given up building bikes!

was due to take delivery of a Canyon gravel/winter bike in the next couple of days........

until they emailed during the expected delivery slot to day it was delayed by 5 weeks; utter c***s, really pissed of with as was looking forward to some comfy evening rides on some fat rubber.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Surrey Hills today. Always a pleasure
    I've a mate in Sunninghill that wants to drag me out there from his place; looks fab but think i'm a couple of months short of bike fitness. I can cope with longer flat rides or shorter (70k max) with hills; think this is the worst of both worlds!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I've a mate in Sunninghill that wants to drag me out there from his place; looks fab but think i'm a couple of months short of bike fitness. I can cope with longer flat rides or shorter (70k max) with hills; think this is the worst of both worlds!
    Box is a doddle, first time I rode up it I remember getting to the top and saying "Is that it!".

There are some tougher hills of course but as you are West Berks (like me) there are plenty of equally tough local hills (Streatley, Whitchurch...) not to mention the Chilterns on our doorstep so a bit of practice on those and there's nothing to fear in Surrey...

My office is in Surrey so pre Covid used to get out regularly after work...

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    when you advised me on the Rose you said you'd given up building bikes!

was due to take delivery of a Canyon gravel/winter bike in the next couple of days........

until they emailed during the expected delivery slot to day it was delayed by 5 weeks; utter c***s, really pissed of with as was looking forward to some comfy evening rides on some fat rubber.
    I know, couldn't help looking when the tinkering bug bit again! However there's so much f***ying about involved converting the Kona that if I do get a gravel type bike it'll do the jobs of the Felt winter/wet bike and Kona for offroad, so they'll both likely go. Best value (not best bike) gravel bike I've seen so far is the Ti GTX models that Dolan do. Ultegra 2x11, hydraulic discs £2800, 105 the same £2400. Hope you enjoy the Canyon when it arrives.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Box is a doddle, first time I rode up it I remember getting to the top and saying "Is that it!".

There are some tougher hills of course but as you are West Berks (like me) there are plenty of equally tough local hills (Streatley, Whitchurch...) not to mention the Chilterns on our doorstep so a bit of practice on those and there's nothing to fear in Surrey...

My office is in Surrey so pre Covid used to get out regularly after work...
    I'm deepest West Berks so have loads of hills. I'm actually in Lambourn which is a valley so its always got climbs involved. Did 55k tonight with 490m climb which is fairly typical.

In the past 3 weeks they've dragged me up combe gibbet (Hungerford) & dragon (white horse) which are both lung busters and i hated every second

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk