closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 77 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,850 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    we had a head wind both ways
    ...virtually every ride...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    ...virtually every ride...
    Seems that way doesn't it😁

Master
    Seems that way doesn't it
    Definitely- getting fed up with the weather -

I was out today, but yes it was jolly windy ... one hill where I can normally top 50km/h (on the way down of course) I was having to keep pedalling just to maintain 25-30 km/h!

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

It is not just high end watches being targeted in London.

I thought machete gang would kill me, says pro cyclist robbed in Richmond Park

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3...157b484cd4a803

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It is not just high end watches being targeted in London.

I thought machete gang would kill me, says pro cyclist robbed in Richmond Park

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3...157b484cd4a803
    You couldn't paye enough money to live in London. The justice system is way too soft on these gangs who are targeting mopeds, bikes, phones, jewellery...... Anything they can convert to currency.

Very sad state of affairs.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice ride out this morning with a few mates to Buttermere for coffee and a sausage sarnie. Weather was excellent although the wind changed direction alongside Crummock so we had a head wind both ways
    Anybody else get out in the sun?
    Yes, had a very nice 120 miler on the day before you posted that. Lovely day apart from a puncture 59 miles from home. But that was a temporary setback and I was back seven minutes after sunset.

Master
    Well it's new bike time but wondering what to go for so hoping some fellow cyclists could give me some ideas. Currently ride a 2021 XL (I'm 6'4") Giant TCR Advanced 2 which I find very comfortable even on longer rides. Only thing I've done to it is replace the standard wheels with a set of Prime RR 50 V3's. Do I need a new bike, no. Do I want a new bike, absolutely😁 Budget is 3k max and don't mind buying used or frame set and building one up. Current contenders are a used Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 disc or a Canyon Endurance CF 8. Or do I just upgrade my current bike (would really like disc brakes though which my current frame can't accommodate)? I live in the Lake District so plenty of hills and some rather beat up road surfaces. So a comfortable racing style bike or a more endurance style bike🤷*♂️
    Any ideas?
    Current bike:

Well it's new bike time but wondering what to go for so hoping some fellow cyclists could give me some ideas. Currently ride a 2021 XL (I'm 6'4") Giant TCR Advanced 2 which I find very comfortable even on longer rides. Only thing I've done to it is replace the standard wheels with a set of Prime RR 50 V3's. Do I need a new bike, no. Do I want a new bike, absolutely😁 Budget is 3k max and don't mind buying used or frame set and building one up. Current contenders are a used Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 disc or a Canyon Endurance CF 8. Or do I just upgrade my current bike (would really like disc brakes though which my current frame can't accommodate)? I live in the Lake District so plenty of hills and some rather beat up road surfaces. So a comfortable racing style bike or a more endurance style bike🤷*♂️
    Any ideas?
    Current bike:
    How about adding a bike instead of replacing? Keep the TCR for nice road rides and add a dedicated gravel bike?

Master
    How about adding a bike instead of replacing? Keep the TCR for nice road rides and add a dedicated gravel bike?
    Good idea but I was going to sell the TCR to add funds to the new bike. Also already have a Ribble road winter bike and Nukeproof MTB so not sure the Mrs would be impressed with yet another bike😁

Question for the road cyclists here. How often do you clean your cassette and chain? I only ride in bone dry conditions and do a 20 mile loop. I know some suggest a full degrease and lube after every ride, but this seems a bit overkill for 20 miles in the dry. I just tend to wipe the chain down after a ride...is this sufficient or not?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Question for the road cyclists here. How often do you clean your cassette and chain? I only ride in bone dry conditions and do a 20 mile loop. I know some suggest a full degrease and lube after every ride, but this seems a bit overkill for 20 miles in the dry. I just tend to wipe the chain down after a ride...is this sufficient or not?
    Certainly no need to degrease after one ride. In dry conditions I clean my chain with a wet wipe type cloth and a rag after 100 to 150 miles. Then I apply dry lube and put the bike away. If its a dusty ride or if its rained recently and the chain looks dirty I will clean it more frequently. I clean the cassette every 300/ 400 miles. I find with dry lube it stays clean longer.

For any wet rides when using dry lube I clean the bike down, wipe the chain, dry and lube ready for the next ride.

Master
    I would agree with this ^^^^^^^ Gravel frames allow upto 40 mm tyres so it opens up a new realm of cycling, plus gravel bikes make brilliant winter bikes due to mudguard fitments and clearance.

I have a Carbon climbing or hilly bike , I have a steel Colnago for Cheshire plains Spring and summer posing bike. My Oct to April goto bike is. Tit Croix de Fer gravel bike. Between the three of them I feel I have all bases covered. PLUS that first ( April or May) ride on the steel or Carbon makes me feel like Ive discovered an additional gear, they are so light and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Certainly no need to degrease after one ride. In dry conditions I clean my chain with a wet wipe type cloth and a rag after 100 to 150 miles. Then I apply dry lube and put the bike away. If its a dusty ride or if its rained recently and the chain looks dirty I will clean it more frequently. I clean the cassette every 300/ 400 miles. I find with dry lube it stays clean longer.

For any wet rides when using dry lube I clean the bike down, wipe the chain, dry and lube ready for the next ride.
    Ah thanks. I had been watching some youtube vids where they were saying you needed to do this after every ride. Thought it was a bit overkill. I think my stuff is "all weather" so I'll definitely buy some dry lube.

Master
    Ah thanks. I had been watching some youtube vids where they were saying you needed to do this after every ride. Thought it was a bit overkill. I think my stuff is "all weather" so I'll definitely buy some dry lube.
    For dry summer rides , dry lube is fine. It keeps the chain cassette and potentially you cleaner ( chain tattoo calves, we all get them) . Key thing is when changing from all weather clean your chain cassette and chain rings with a toothbrush and white spirit or chain cleaner.

Then dry your chain thoroughly. Apply the dry lube then put the bike away. Next time you ride your bike the solvent in the dry lube will have evaporated leaving a ptfe/ ceramic white powder on the friction surfaces. After say five rides, clean the chain with a cloth to remove road dust , then reapply the dry lube , then put the bike away.

Lastly whilst it might seem like stating the obvious , lube the rollers that are in contact with the sprockets eg lube the inside of the rollers, not the tops or outside.

Current contenders are a Canyon Endurance CF 8.
    Here you go: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185884493594

Sorted.

Question for the road cyclists here. How often do you clean your cassette and chain?
    Without being too flippant, my answer is always when it needs it. It is the black paste that effectively acts as a grinding paste and will wear down your chain and drivetrain.

If your chain is covered in the black paste, then it is time for a clean. Depending on conditions, that might be after 1 ride or several hundred kms.

Master
    I clean a cassette about once a year, which depending on the particular bike (I do about 5,000 miles a year) is at most every 1500 miles. I clean the chain properly about every 1000 miles (I'm just guessing there). Every 300 miles or so I hose out the chain with GT-85 with the red straw fitted, and relube.

I wipe the chain down (and the rest of the bike) if it's been out in the wet.

A full degrease after every ride is nigh-on bonkers IMO.

Craftsman
    Purchased an endurace cf 7 to replace an old giant defy Aluxx rim brake and act as a road and light gravel bike (with a tire change). It works well for that intended purpose. Its much comfier than the defy, and disc brakes are a huge bonus- overall not much quicker, just much more sure footed. A wheel change would liven things up a bit. The stock wheels are slow to get up to speed. Ive used on light gravel with 32 mm gp5000s and its worked surprisingly well. Will put some 35 m gracel tires on stock wheelset when I find the cash to plump for some zipp 303s. Didnt sell the defy in the end - use it for commuting and going across London on.

Master
    Afternoon all,

Ive got an Evo supersix Hi-Mod ( had for 9 months ) and cant decide whether to change the seat post to straight inline from 15mm offset or stem to 80- 90mm ( current is 100). I need about 2cm less reach. Also debating chopping the stem height .

I know I should get a bike fit but i have had lots on bikes and these measurements have been transferred to this bike and its just the reach on the drops which is an issue - bars already changed to 40cm

Any advice appreciated

Bike here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Might be worth looking on youtube at e.g. Bikefit James or cam Nicholls. Changing the seat post or stem will influence your position in different ways

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead View Post
    Afternoon all,

Ive got an Evo supersix Hi-Mod ( had for 9 months ) and cant decide whether to change the seat post to straight inline from 15mm offset or stem to 80- 90mm ( current is 100). I need about 2cm less reach. Also debating chopping the stem height .

I know I should get a bike fit but i have had lots on bikes and these measurements have been transferred to this bike and its just the reach on the drops which is an issue - bars already changed to 40cm

Any advice appreciated

Bike here

Best to get a bike fit, but...
    Do you have much pressure on the front end/hands in this setup? Or is it just the reach, but overall you're quite light on the front? You could look at a handlebar with a shorter reach (but as this is a semi-integrated or integrated situation, Cannondale might not make one like that). This way, you're not shortening the stem which can affect how the bike handles. It's really just a ''finger in the wind'' - good position starts at the cleats, then saddle height and fore/aft, only then you can adjust the front end... Just get a bike fit :-)

Master
    Afternoon all,

Any advice appreciated

Bike here

Can you take some spacers out of the head tube just to try the feel As others have said , changing your saddle position will effect knee position and a shorter stem will quicken up the steering. Of all the proposed mods a different seat pin is the easiest to reverse if it doesnt suit.

Grand Master
    Regarding bike fits I have had 3 professional ones and they all came out with different numbers so I gave up on them and decided to ride what felt okmish and let my body adapts to it.

My advise is to change just one thing and give it 100 or so miles before changes something else or you end up chasing the error if that makes sense. Recently I was forever mildly uncomfortable on a new Kickr bike and kept meaning to adjust the position of the hoods or bars but just ridden it about 20 times and forgetting and this weekend it feels fine so my idleness and forgetfulness has led to a result.
    RIAC

Master
    Thank you very much for all the advice - really appreciated. Food for thought.

Looks quite fancy, so might not be possible, but if you can I'd get a cheap 90mm stem from eBay and try it as a first option.

A bike fit will find something and no doubt sell you what you need!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Afternoon all,

Any advice appreciated

Nice bike btw!

I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to achieve... you say you need 2cm less reach, why? What is currently uncomfortable? I assume the saddle is all the way forward on the offset post hence the desire to move to an in-line one? Btw, this is very much not the same as changing the stem. Also, an 80mm stem is pretty short and would be a noticeable difference in handling.
    Finally, if you're debating dropping the bars / stem won't this also result in the drops being even further away?
    If it's just the reach to the drops that's the issue then there are bars with a smaller drop available - it's difficult to tell from the photo whether you've already got these?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Nice bike btw!

I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to achieve... you say you need 2cm less reach, why? What is currently uncomfortable? I assume the saddle is all the way forward on the offset post hence the desire to move to an in-line one? Btw, this is very much not the same as changing the stem. Also, an 80mm stem is pretty short and would be a noticeable difference in handling.
    Finally, if you're debating dropping the bars / stem won't this also result in the drops being even further away?
    If it's just the reach to the drops that's the issue then there are bars with a smaller drop available - it's difficult to tell from the photo whether you've already got these?
    Hence the question of stem Vs inline post and the impact from what you have indicated and others you have pretty much answered by question that they do offer different outcomes

Yes saddle is on the limit - I can ride the bike fine but find my hands sitting on the curve of the bar when cruising as appose to on the hoods which is ok but just doesnt feel quite tight. Drops make my back ache

Master
    Just de-restricted my eBike so Bosch motor supplies power up to 30mph. Transforms the riding experience.

First his & hers outing of the year in the sunshine.

Master
    First his & hers outing of the year in the sunshine.
    One looks nice and comfy whilst the other looks TdF aggressive

Master
    I do love a Lapierre.
    I just completed my first 100k (well 105) today with my good lady.
    I was so daunted leading in to it, but it actually turned out to be reasonably achievable.
    I have to deal with Type 1 Diabetes roo which just adds an extra edge to the whole thing.
    Really pleased though and so glad I got back into cycling after a nine year break.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    You've met my wife then...

Master
    You've met my wife then...
    Proper lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Just de-restricted my eBike so Bosch motor supplies power up to 30mph. Transforms the riding experience.
    Sounds fun for off road use.

Grand Master

RIAC

Master
    [QUOTE=deepreddave;6210223]One looks nice and comfy whilst the other looks TdF aggressive [/

Mario Cippolini, ok it was the drug fuelled years, but his sprinting was awesome to watch. Following each win he would appear in gold shoes or a pink bike or bright yellow skinsuit. The organisers must have secretly loved and hated him equally.

Lovely looking bike but as others have said very focussed eg head down arse up.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Which way round?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

In reality it's really not like that at all. It's supposed to be their more endurance oriented frame and I've found it pretty comfortable. Not quite as silky as the Lynskey it replaced but I'd have no problem doing a long ride on it.

https://www.mcipollini.com/bikes/bond-evo/
    Last edited by gunner; 15th May 2023 at 10:31.

Master
    Which way round?
    Right to left.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 14th May 2023 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I do love a Lapierre.
    Agreed, it's a nice bike. Pretty comfortable and 6.7kgs (inc. pedals/cages etc.) makes it perfect for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I just completed my first 100k (well 105) today with my good lady.
    I was so daunted leading in to it, but it actually turned out to be reasonably achievable.
    Great thing to do as a couple if you can - not without risks though!

I did the London 100 (miles) with the wife a couple of years ago and apart from feeling like a domestique/mechanic/team manager, it was an enjoyable day.
    Last edited by gunner; 15th May 2023 at 10:21.

Master

Mario Cippolini, ok it was the drug fuelled years, but his sprinting was awesome to watch. Following each win he would appear in gold shoes or a pink bike or bright yellow skinsuit. The organisers must have secretly loved and hated him equally.

Nice bike, wouldn't ride one.

https://road.cc/content/news/mario-c...iolence-296675

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Fair enough, I had the bike before that came out.

Grand Master
    Fair enough, I had the bike before that came out.
    Only like the Armstrong / Livestrong thing takes nothing away from when he was one of the best characters in the sport. His behaviour is unacceptable but bikes still cool as

RIAC

Also like Armstrong, he was also off his face on EPO (& other things) whilst being such a character.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Only like the Armstrong / Livestrong thing takes nothing away from when he was one of the best characters in the sport. His behaviour is unacceptable but bikes still cool as

I remember a period of time late 90s all my family would watch the attacks of Pantani Ulrich Armstrong Cippolini Bjarne Riis all battling it out on the climbs. Did we know they doping ? No , did we enjoy the rivalry? Too right we did, it made for exciting viewing.

Its sad to see history revealing the legacy of these performances, but as Phil Sherwin ( RIP) once said it wasnt who was doping , it was who wasnt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Also like Armstrong, he was also off his face on EPO (& other things) whilst being such a character.
    Agreed , but how many pop stars of a similar era were exactly the same. Didnt the Beatles write an entire album whilst being off their ti**s on LSD, and that was in the 60s/ 70s

Master
    I remember a period of time late 90s all my family would watch the attacks of Pantani Ulrich Armstrong Cippolini Bjarne Riis all battling it out on the climbs.
    Cippolini was a sprinter and was infamous for never challenging on the climbs, prefering to cruise along with a cigarette in his mouth and save his legs for the flat stages.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Cippolini was a sprinter and was infamous for never challenging on the climbs, prefering to cruise along with a cigarette in his mouth and save his legs for the flat stages.
    You are right , didnt he traditionally leave the competition as soon as the mountains beckoned ?
    Last edited by higham5; 15th May 2023 at 18:24.

Master
    Your are right , didnt he traditionally leave the competition as soon as the mountains beckoned ?
    Yes, and he made sure the paparattzi got plenty of pictures of him at the beach or in a nightclub when the rest were slogging it out in the mountains.