closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 75 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,750 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Picked up some 29er wheels and tyres from eBay so ready for some gravel...

Love that.... always nice to see a Lefty!

What frame is that... looks a bit like a 456 but can't make out the name on the top tube!

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Love that.... always nice to see a Lefty!

What frame is that... looks a bit like a 456 but can't make out the name on the top tube!
    It's an Inbred titanium. Designed for 26" wheels but the 29ers just about fit with the 37mm WTB tyres.

It's an Inbred titanium. Designed for 26" wheels but the 29ers just about fit with the 37mm WTB tyres.

Of course!

I had a steel 456 a while back and whilst the geometry was spot on, it rode like it was made of scaffold poles... Seemed to ride through things rather than over them. Always wondered whether a decent tube set would sort the problem.

Master
    Of course!

I had a steel 456 a while back and whilst the geometry was spot on, it rode like it was made of scaffold poles... Seemed to ride through things rather than over them. Always wondered whether a decent tube set would sort the problem.
    Steel is real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Now the weather is here for mudguards I dont want to use it encase it gets dirty haha

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Steel is real
    ...but titanium is nicer...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Steel is real

My steel Colnago road bike is 2.1 Kgs lighter than my Titanium gravel bike!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My steel Colnago road bike is 2.1 Kgs lighter than my Titanium gravel bike!
    We need pics!

Master
    We need pics!
    Your wish in my command . Colnago is a Master X lite with the “ octagonal “ tubing and lovely lugs. Forks are deep chrome. Gravel is a Genesis Croix de Fer Ti. Carbon fork but a strong heavy beast.

Photo 3 is a line up of my three bikes showing the “ old school” geometry of the Colnago. No sloping top tube on this bad boy.

Last edited by higham5; 17th November 2022 at 14:01.

Nice!

What do they weigh? Approx 8 and 10kg?

Master
    Nice!

What do they weigh? Approx 8 and 10kg?
    Good guess, fmp = frame mounted pump.

Beacon Carbon FMP =8.6kgs
    Genesis FMP =10.9kgs
    Colnago =8.8kgs

Good guess, fmp = frame mounted pump.

Beacon Carbon FMP =8.6kgs
    Genesis FMP =10.9kgs
    Colnago =8.8kgs
    Interesting, makes the Croix de Fer the same weight as my Inbred ti with lefty.

Master
    Interesting, makes the Croix de Fer the same weight as my Inbred ti with lefty.
    Certainly does, my Croix has mudguards fitted unlike your On One , but they will be 350g max. Its a myth that titanium bikes are superlight. But the first ride on my Beacon Carbon after a winter on the Croix shakes my fillings out. The slack geometry plus carbon fork and springy frame takes out all the road buzz.

The other thing I like about titanium is not being too precious on the cleaning. In the club Im in there are Burls and Van Nicolas titanium bike plus a one off custom ti build. If you lined all the frames up only a mother could spot the difference.

The carbon does accelerate though……:)

Agreed, titanium isn't all about the weight.

I went from a Lynskey Sportive (ti) to a Cipollini Bond (carbon). Both have their benefits...

Master
    Of course!

A decent tube set (titanium or not) won't help when the frame is built like that. It will be very stiff and hard ride.

I still have a titanium road bike, bought in 2004. I bought it for the longevity and strenght of titanium - I rode it maybe 80000-90000km and it still looks like new, even though it travelled often in the race team bus.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    A decent tube set (titanium or not) won't help when the frame is built like that. It will be very stiff and hard ride.

I still have a titanium road bike, bought in 2004. I bought it for the longevity and strenght of titanium - I rode it maybe 80000-90000km and it still looks like new, even though it travelled often in the race team bus.
    Disagree. The inbred ti rides fine.

Master
    Disagree. The inbred ti rides fine.
    Well, I'm happy you are happy with it. It's built to be a super tough MTB and rear stay design like that will offer no flex at all. It'd bound to be rather stiff, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work fine for you. And it's a very cool looking bike!-)

I'm currently riding a carbon gravel bike where the flex is built in the seatpost with no traditional clamp. It allows significant flex, maybe even too much for my liking. My fender is attached to the seatpost with maybe 1cm between the tire and the fender and going over rough terrain the seatpost flexes so much that the fender touches the tire.

SydR
    Wife and I were out on the mountain bikes today. Mine is hiding behind here.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Well, I'm happy you are happy with it. It's built to be a super tough MTB and rear stay design like that will offer no flex at all. It'd bound to be rather stiff, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work fine for you. And it's a very cool looking bike!-)

I'm currently riding a carbon gravel bike where the flex is built in the seatpost with no traditional clamp. It allows significant flex, maybe even too much for my liking. My fender is attached to the seatpost with maybe 1cm between the tire and the fender and going over rough terrain the seatpost flexes so much that the fender touches the tire.
    There is more flex from the stays than you might think (more than I've had from some alloy frames!) but it is fairly stiff.

Fine for gravel, with some cushioning from the tyres and some flex from the long exposed seatpost. For rougher MTB stuff the extra tyre volume would add to the mix and there's always my legs!
    Last edited by gunner; 17th November 2022 at 21:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Picked up some 29er wheels and tyres from eBay so ready for some gravel...

Nice but the bars need rotating downwards

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Nice but the bars need rotating downwards
    Needs a different stem too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Needs a different stem too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    And extra front mudguard clearance. Maybe not

Your wish in my command . Colnago is a Master X lite with the “ octagonal “ tubing and lovely lugs. Forks are deep chrome. Gravel is a Genesis Croix de Fer Ti. Carbon fork but a strong heavy beast.

Photo 3 is a line up of my three bikes showing the “ old school” geometry of the Colnago. No sloping top tube on this bad boy.

What size is the Colnago frame? Absolutely stunning they dont make them like that anymore!

Master
    Just back from a 180m break
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

New bike day

So I decided it was time to retire my trusty and beloved Brompton and replace it with something I feel more comfortable doing a few extra miles on

My new Orro Terra C SRAM AXS mullet set up, picked up this morning from 73 degrees in Keynsham who were fantastic to deal with.

Had them set it up tubeless for me so fingers crossed many happy, stress free miles ahead.

The only thing I dont have is a multi tool so if anyone can suggest a decent, cover all bases one I am all ears. Ive had a look around online and the choice is bewildering.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    So I decided it was time to retire my trusty and beloved Brompton and replace it with something I feel more comfortable doing a few extra miles on

My new Orro Terra C SRAM AXS mullet set up, picked up this morning from 73 degrees in Keynsham who were fantastic to deal with.

Had them set it up tubeless for me so fingers crossed many happy, stress free miles ahead.

The only thing I dont have is a multi tool so if anyone can suggest a decent, cover all bases one I am all ears. Ive had a look around online and the choice is bewildering.
    Congrats on the new bike😁 I've had a Topeak Alien multitool for years now and it's served me well for both my MTB and road bike (saved me a few times when out and about). Don't think the original Alien is available anymore but you could get the Alien II.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Congrats on the new bike I've had a Topeak Alien multitool for years now and it's served me well for both my MTB and road bike (saved me a few times when out and about). Don't think the original Alien is available anymore but you could get the Alien II.
    I have an Alien I'm not using any more so drop me a line if you're interested. I now use one by Silca.

Nice Orro BTW
    Last edited by gunner; 2nd December 2022 at 16:51.

Thats lovely. A friend has the very same; its a quick bike. Enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    That’s lovely. A friend has the very same; it’s a quick bike. Enjoy.
    Agree with above , plus that dinner plate sized rear cassette will get you up anything. What really threw me was the “mullet” In off road mtb parlance that means a smaller rear wheel. I kept looking at the photos and thinking, they look the same. Googling led to see its name is Mullet not its wheel size.

Enjoy the new bike.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 2nd December 2022 at 18:03.

Master
    My new Orro Terra C SRAM AXS mullet set up....
    So that's a 29 front, 27.5 rear set up? Is the idea meant to be more traction at the front and lower center of gravity? I can't imagine going downhill at any speed close to the limits of my ability and suspect the different sizing might bug me visually but all good if it works!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    So that's a 29 front, 27.5 rear set up? Is the idea meant to be more traction at the front and lower center of gravity? I can't imagine going downhill at any speed close to the limits of my ability and suspect the different sizing might bug me visually but all good if it works!

No, both wheels are 700c (29"0), the mullet refers to the mix of a road crank mixed with a mtb rear cassette.

Its what orro call it

https://www.orrobikes.com/product/te...ival-etap-bike
    Cheers,

Ben

Master

The mullet term has gotten confusing. Mullet in MTB's means 29/27,5, but now in gravel they've taken the same term to mean MTB gearing on a gravel bike.

Master
    That looks amazing.

My knowledge of bikes is however.lacking.

When did the move from 3 front rings happen?

Also, if a single front was feasible why all this 21 / 24 gear stuff from Shimano in my cycling days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have an Alien I'm not using any more so drop me a line if you're interested. I now use one by Silca.

Nice Orro BTW
    Thanks gunner, looked it up but a little bulkier than I would like.
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That looks amazing.

My knowledge of bikes is however.lacking.

When did the move from 3 front rings happen?

Also, if a single front was feasible why all this 21 / 24 gear stuff from Shimano in my cycling days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Narrower cassettes, which allowed more ratios on the back, which in turn required narrower chains and finer shifter control. Larger sprockets on the cassette meant the need for larger capacity derailleurs. Its a whole series of developments.

However, 1x systems are still somewhat compromised - with a current maximum of 12 speeds (though more usually 11) the gaps between ratios get quite big, so you can't always find the perfect gear. Further the smallest practical sprocket on the back is 11 teeth (though I think SRAM will do a 10), when combined with a small front ring that means a relatively low top gear, leading to spinning out on downhills or high speed flat sections. Hence most road bikes and a lot of gravel bikes will still run 2x systems, allowing smaller gaps between ratios and a higher top gear.

Some touring bikes and MTBs will still run 3x front chainrings.

As always its a balance.

Master
    No, both wheels are 700c (29"0), the mullet refers to the mix of a road crank mixed with a mtb rear cassette.
    Right, thanks, I'll have to read up on the benefits of that combo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Narrower cassettes, which allowed more ratios on the back, which in turn required narrower chains and finer shifter control. Larger sprockets on the cassette meant the need for larger capacity derailleurs. Its a whole series of developments.

However, 1x systems are still somewhat compromised - with a current maximum of 12 speeds (though more usually 11) the gaps between ratios get quite big, so you can't always find the perfect gear. Further the smallest practical sprocket on the back is 11 teeth (though I think SRAM will do a 10), when combined with a small front ring that means a relatively low top gear, leading to spinning out on downhills or high speed flat sections. Hence most road bikes and a lot of gravel bikes will still run 2x systems, allowing smaller gaps between ratios and a higher top gear.

As always its a balance.
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply, clearly so many evolving aspects over the years. Amazing vs the race for gear numbers. I do recall dropping & raising a few to find a mildly better gear, and questioning the benefits.

Will have to try a new bike set up at some point just for interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply, clearly so many evolving aspects over the years. Amazing vs the race for gear numbers. I do recall dropping & raising a few to find a mildly better gear, and questioning the benefits.

Will have to try a new bike set up at some point just for interest.

1x gears started on mountain bikes, at least in part driven by the freedom it gave frame designers who now didn't have to consider where to put a front mech. Efficient rear suspension is focused around how and where you pivot the rear wheel so with no front mech in the way, you can put the pivot where you want. It has a load of other advantages for mountain bikes (simplicity, extra space on the bars, usually for a dropper remote) and the big jumps in gears aren't really a problem as you're never really 'spinning'. That said, I'm less convinced for road bikes as it's not really solving any problems.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

As always its a balance.
    The maximum is actually now 13. Campagnolo Ekar.

Master

World Championship Cyclocross

Should be a good watch tomorrow. I watch it on YouTube, but probably streamed elsewhere. Dont think our man Mr Pidcock is racing tomorrow though.

https://youtu.be/N_bHX2SpKo4

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The maximum is actually now 13. Campagnolo Ekar.
    Think Ekar has a 9 tooth. But does it matter spinning out? Being able to outclimb will often more than compensate.

Master
    13 speeds rather than teeth but yes, Ekar options do include nine of the latter.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Think Ekar has a 9 tooth. But does it matter spinning out? Being able to outclimb will often more than compensate.
    As above. 13 speed. 9 tooth smallest sprocket gives a good range if you can tolerate bigger steps in gearing.

Craftsman

New bike

My 2015 giant defy is starting to show its age (as am I for that matter) and Im thinking of splurging on a new road bike; something that can handle long distances in relevant comfort and can take on light gravel. Maybe 80% road 20% gravel. Looking at this thread we have some great two wheeling minds, so thought Id ask the collective for views - budget around4K.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    My 2015 giant defy is starting to show its age (as am I for that matter) and I’m thinking of splurging on a new road bike; something that can handle long distances in relevant comfort and can take on light gravel. Maybe 80% road 20% gravel. Looking at this thread we have some great two wheeling minds, so thought I’d ask the collective for views - budget around4K.
    Im sure the collective will be on shortly. I usually peruse these group tests to see “ whats new” then start touring my local bike shops. Its been a funny couple of years for bike sales, tradionally in Oct dealers would be knocking 30% plus of this years bikes to make way for the following year.

With bike shortages I suspect that practice has all but ceased.

Linky is road , but gravel road is a click away.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-...d-bikes-461550

Have fun with your research , you Giant is a cracking bike , so the benchmark is already set :)
    Last edited by higham5; 26th December 2022 at 20:03.

Master
    A compromise bike is rarely a good idea in my view. Adequate for all purposes is not what I'd want out of a frame. Perhaps if you were to share what you want in a bike it would be helpful, for instance:

- tyre clearance
    - frame material
    - gearing preference e.g. single front chainring
    - geometry; gravel and long distance frames are not the same in terms of where they position you on the bike. What is your priority, long distance comfort?
    - mudguard and luggage mounts?

And so on.

Master
    Mainstream but Spesh Roubaix or Trek Domane would be good starting points. Endurance road orientated but with sufficient comfort and tyre clearance for gravel tyres as/when needed.

Thats a healthy budget.

Is the 80/20 split during one ride, or more 1 in every 5 rides is on the rough stuff.

If it's the later I'd go for the best road bike I could find, and sell the giant and buy the equivalent cx or gravel bike and use that for those rides.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mainstream but Spesh Roubaix or Trek Domane would be good starting points. Endurance road orientated but with sufficient comfort and tyre clearance for gravel tyres as/when needed.

Good shout, plus consider Canyon Endurace. I have one and its done plenty of off road on 30mm gravel tyres. It will take 34 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    My 2015 giant defy is starting to show its age (as am I for that matter) and Im thinking of splurging on a new road bike; something that can handle long distances in relevant comfort and can take on light gravel. Maybe 80% road 20% gravel. Looking at this thread we have some great two wheeling minds, so thought Id ask the collective for views - budget around4K.
    How about gravel wheels/tyres on a road bike? Or even, road wheels/tyres on a gravel bike (if you want/need the lower gearing)?