closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    It`s fixed!
    It was much simpler than i had originally thought.
    I assumed it was the type that is threaded and the whole shebang comes off the wheel (freewheel hub?) when it is in fact the `cassette` type (freehub? this bicycle terminology is confusing to a non-bicyclerist) where the gears are separate and slip on to a splined hub as in the image;

All it required was the correct dissasembly technique employing the right tools for the job - a chainwhip pair of gland nut pliers and a splined cassette removal tool piece of flat steel bar ground down to fit the splined cut-outs and hammered into place. I was able to undo the securing ring very easily (it wasn`t that tight) and then the whole set of gears came off.

Once the gears were off i used a small brush to drip parts washer cleaning solvent into the hub and the pawls almost instantly started working again.
    The innards were certainly gummed up from years of abuse and lack of servicing (who services a bicycle....??) and the catalyst for this particular breakdown was probably the oil/grease inside the hub becoming too viscous in the cold weather preventing them from making contact and gripping.

Even though it`s now working i`d still like to dissasemble it further (inspect the internals of the freehub) to a: remove the parts washer solvent as parts washer solvent is not a lubricant, b: lube it properly, and c: being a mechanically inquisitive sort of chap i want to see how the thing works..
    If anyone knows how to do that i`d be interested to know.

And thanks for pointing out the spoke - i`ll fix that.

And as for the grime, underneath the filth there is a perfectly preserved wheel! The layer of dirt and oil provides a sort of embalming effect..
    FairPlay to you. You have the inquisitiveness and are obviously a bit handy!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    It`s fixed!
    It was much simpler than i had originally thought.
    I assumed it was the type that is threaded and the whole shebang comes off the wheel (freewheel hub?) when it is in fact the `cassette` type (freehub? this bicycle terminology is confusing to a non-bicyclerist) where the gears are separate and slip on to a splined hub as in the image;

All it required was the correct dissasembly technique employing the right tools for the job - a chainwhip pair of gland nut pliers and a splined cassette removal tool piece of flat steel bar ground down to fit the splined cut-outs and hammered into place. I was able to undo the securing ring very easily (it wasn`t that tight) and then the whole set of gears came off.

Once the gears were off i used a small brush to drip parts washer cleaning solvent into the hub and the pawls almost instantly started working again.
    The innards were certainly gummed up from years of abuse and lack of servicing (who services a bicycle....??) and the catalyst for this particular breakdown was probably the oil/grease inside the hub becoming too viscous in the cold weather preventing them from making contact and gripping.

Even though it`s now working i`d still like to dissasemble it further (inspect the internals of the freehub) to a: remove the parts washer solvent as parts washer solvent is not a lubricant, b: lube it properly, and c: being a mechanically inquisitive sort of chap i want to see how the thing works..
    If anyone knows how to do that i`d be interested to know.

And thanks for pointing out the spoke - i`ll fix that.

And as for the grime, underneath the filth there is a perfectly preserved wheel! The layer of dirt and oil provides a sort of embalming effect..
    Who services a bicycle ? Probably 99% of all other cyclists. To get the freehub body off you need to remove the axle and bearings and then use a 12mm allen key into the freehub body. Some older ones needed a 10mm allen. Much easier when the hub is built into a wheel.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m often amazed at how much neglect a bicycle can tolerate and still function. But there are limits.

Does anyone here lay for Strava? Is it worth it £48 pa? I have my privacy locked down so don't care about flybys of being king of a certain pass etc, just want to see progress and other stuff.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 24th January 2021 at 22:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Does anyone here lay for Strava? Is it worth it £48 pa? I have my privacy locked down so don't care about flybys of being king of a certain pass etc, just want to see progress and other stuff.
    Worth every penny for me as I love data - also feel Strava invest a lot of time into the business so happy to support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Less than £1 per week. Worth it for the entertainment and connection with club mates.

Master
    I'd say it's worth it. The free version gets you very little comparatively.

Master
    I pay for it because the route planner feature was removed from the free version once it came out of "experimental" mode. Ironically, the production, finished product is not actually as usable, for me anyway, as the old beta version. There are IMO better route planners, eg https://www.routeyou.com/ which is free.

But the nice thing about Strava routes is that you can call one up on the app on your phone while you're out, and follow or find your way back to the line on the map if you get lost. You could actually do the same thing by exporting GPX data from another route planner and importing it into a GPX navigation app, but that's more work.

Probably not £48 PA more work though. I should probably go back to freeloading.

Thanks guys, I've gone into the free trial and will pay the £48 automatically after a month.

I only really use it to track couples walking and any cycling but I've just seen the goals and current tracking for said goals which seems quite motivational. The heart rate zones will be good too as I can see zones per ride when looking back. I can see this in the moment on the Garmin watch but today the watch said I topped out at 171bpm but the Wahoo chest strap also linked said 180bpm, so I'll use that moving forward.

TZ remains the most knowledgeable place you can ask a question on any subject. Thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I pay for it. I mainly use it for logging my rides, social interaction with other cyclists, challenging myself, the live segments function...& defending about 500 KoM’s 😆

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I pay for it. I mainly use it for logging my rides, social interaction with other cyclists, challenging myself, the live segments function...& defending about 500 KoM’s 😆
    500 KoMs eh... whereabouts?

Master
    [QUOTE=FHKJ;5655350]500 KoMs eh... whereabouts?
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 26th January 2021 at 17:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I pay for it. I mainly use it for logging my rides, social interaction with other cyclists, challenging myself, the live segments function...& defending about 500 KoM’s 
    500!!! that is greedy...

I only have about 8 which I maintain around my house ... to get a KOM I need to wait for appropriate wind directions and get the TT bike out ... all a bit sad so I only do my patch.

Beyond that there are too many riders faster than me ...

Phil Gaimon? Is that you?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FHKJ View Post
    500 KoMs eh... whereabouts?

Actually I tell a lie, it's 400. I thought there were 25 per page but there's only 20. Mainly in the South West near Bath & in the Mendips. I've got a good one in North Yorkshire where I'm KoM & Harry Tanfied, who rode the Vuelta last year, is second. I don't expect he was trying that hard though!

Master
    I dont have any KOM’s but have been using Strava for the last 6 years or so. I never went for their premium for the first 5 years, but when they reorganised the platform last year I went with the £48.

In my case Im a billy few mates rider, so comparing my ride on ride and ride versus other friends motivates me. Plus you can join the TZ Strava massive!

If I remember Wileeey you have a Wahoo Computer, one feature is live Personal best tracking whilst on a ride. You select a stage you want to improve on, set it as a favourite on Strava * , then the next time you ride it , the computer will beep and advise how far ahead or behind your pb you are. Certainly makes you either , mash the pedals or say “ Im not feeling that good today.....” and just spin along.

Steve

Master
    Actually I tell a lie, it's 400. I thought there were 25 per page but there's only 20. Mainly in the South West near Bath & in the Mendips. I've got a good one in North Yorkshire where I'm KoM & Harry Tanfied, who rode the Vuelta last year, is second. I don't expect he was trying that hard though!

That is very respectable set of KOM’s well done , your 25 mile time is just staggering.

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That is very respectable set of KOM’s well done , your 25 mile time is just staggering.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. My 100 mile time, which I did in 2017 when I was 54, is probably my best. 3:32:58 which is still a National Record for a 54 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I dont have any KOM’s but have been using Strava for the last 6 years or so. I never went for their premium for the first 5 years, but when they reorganised the platform last year I went with the £48.

In my case Im a billy few mates rider, so comparing my ride on ride and ride versus other friends motivates me. Plus you can join the TZ Strava massive!

If I remember Wileeey you have a Wahoo Computer, one feature is live Personal best tracking whilst on a ride. You select a stage you want to improve on, set it as a favourite on Strava * , then the next time you ride it , the computer will beep and advise how far ahead or behind your pb you are. Certainly makes you either , mash the pedals or say “ Im not feeling that good today.....” and just spin along.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I have a Wahoo bicycle computer so will pair it up in spring when I'm riding outdoors again. For now I'm on the Wahoo KICKR Bike and have last week put Zwift on an Apple TV to free up the iPad for Netflix instead of the other way round.

Zwift has a few stages where it shows your 30 day PB and history which is very motivating. It's a lite annoying opening the companion app on my phone to use the boosts I've earned though! I wish Zwift would show you the distance and estimated time remaining when you're on a set map/course. Maybe it's different if you choose the training option rather than just maps of Watopia.

I'm looking forward to the Apple TV update for Zwift so the KICKR Bike can cut corners ha

Craftsman

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Thanks Steve. My 100 mile time, which I did in 2017 when I was 54, is probably my best. 3:32:58 which is still a National Record for a 54 year old.
    As a 54 year old still trying to improve and compete that is an absolutely brilliant achievement. What power did you manage for the 100?

And what w/kg are you managing to retain as you head towards 60?

Last edited by FHKJ; 27th January 2021 at 09:50.

I have a 10 year old Garmin 800 and a Garmin Forerunner 920. I’m looking at getting something that shows Strava Segments live.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for my next device?

Garmin would be easiest as I have the mounts on 4 bikes already, but that’s not a deal breaker if another brand does the job much better.

Master

Very impressive stuff, I can barely work up the enthusiasm to throw my leg over at this time of year!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I have a 10 year old Garmin 800 and a Garmin Forerunner 920. I’m looking at getting something that shows Strava Segments live.

Garmin would be easiest as I have the mounts on 4 bikes already, but that’s not a deal breaker if another brand does the job much better.
    New(ish) Garmin 530/830 are great (only real difference between the two is the 830 is touchscreen). Both are very good for the live segment info.

I’m told the Wahoos are too but I’m too Garmin’d up to try!

Master
    I have the 530, mostly I am pretty happy with it.

Only issues are, firstly if you are riding with a data screen showing, and you are following a route when the turn instruction screen pops up it is too zoomed in, so for example if you are doing a staggered junction it will show say only the initial left turn, then it takes a while for the screen to disappear by which time you are off course because you couldn't see the right turn and have missed it so you have to make a u-turn.

Secondly the buttons are a bit fiddly to use with winter gloves on.

Other than that all good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a 54 year old still trying to improve and compete that is an absolutely brilliant achievement. What power did you manage for the 100?

Thanks. I pretty much flatlined at 270W for the whole 100 miles. It's all about pacing. The first 50 miles felt really easy, by the time I got to 75 miles I was feeling the effort, and the last 10 miles I was counting those miles down in my head & starting to get a bit ragged. I had 2 x 800ml bottles and I'd left another in a layby on the course, which I passed 3 times, just in case I needed it. I didn't. I also had 7 gels on board & had one religiously every 30 minutes. I had nothing left for a sprint finish. Probably means I paced it just right!

Master
    Blog Entries

w/kg is obviously dependent on a third metric which is time interval. Your best 20 minute power will be your Critical Power 20, or CP20. Best 60 minute CP60. Best one minute power CP1. Best 15 second power CP0.25 etc. etc.

CP0.2 1202W
    CP0.3 990W
    CP0.5 885W
    CP1 690W
    CP2 613W
    CP5 443W
    CP20 345W
    CP60 315W
    CP90 305W

I weigh 78kg. So W/kg over 20 minutes = 4.4W/kg, 60 minutes = 4.0W/kg, etc. etc.

Then there's aerodynamics....that's another bag of worms!!!
    Last edited by trident-7; 27th January 2021 at 20:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post

I ran a small garmin edge 200 for about 5 years. When the battery life started to fall I decided to change. In use the Garmin was great, but the Garmin Express interface less so. I found it buggy and uploading rides was a chore.

I wanted to spend under £200 and went with a Wahoo Elemnt.

In fairness to Garmin I have jumped from a basic unit to an all singing and dancing unit so I am understandably delighted. However objectively the wahoo interface , which is wireless is definitely less buggy. All the screens are customised on your smartphone, then pushed by Bluetooth onto the device. In ride changes to routes and diversions are a pleasure on the Wahoo.

Im sure there are riders on here who may have 500/800 series Garmins who are delighted with theirs. Lastly the Wahoo can fit on a Garmin mount with a tiny bit of filing on the mount. The end result is secure and simple.

Steve

I have the Wahoo element bolt and really like it. Part of me wishes I had the Garmin but only for the special Garmin rear light it pairs with, nothing else. Quite snappy and decent layout, seems to be very popular and have very good reviews. Would buy it again if it broke.

Master
    I have the Wahoo element bolt and really like it. Part of me wishes I had the Garmin but only for the special Garmin rear light it pairs with, nothing else. Quite snappy and decent layout, seems to be very popular and have very good reviews. Would buy it again if it broke.
    I thought Wahoo had added support, is this not what you are after? https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/...nectivity.html

I ride with a lot people on club rides (well I would normally!). The Wahoos are pretty popular and if I wasn't wedded to the Garmin ecosystem (I've had a bunch of Garmin watches over the years including my current Fenix, also own Garmin Vector pedals etc...) I would definitely look at the Wahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I thought Wahoo had added support, is this not what you are after? https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/...nectivity.html

I ride with a lot people on club rides (well I would normally!). The Wahoos are pretty popular and if I wasn't wedded to the Garmin ecosystem (I've had a bunch of Garmin watches over the years including my current Fenix, also own Garmin Vector pedals etc...) I would definitely look at the Wahoo.
    Oh wow, this will cost me money. That'll be on the list for spring now, thank you. I really like that light and it made me regret the Wahoo for a moment after I saw it exists.

I bought the Forerunner 245 last week and really like it so I've just ordered the Fenix 6X Pro earlier today. Hopefully it plays with the Fenix but if not I'll have a chest strap on anyway.

The next job is to get a power meter as I'm used to seeing that on my stats from the KIRK bike now. The Garmin pedals look good but I'm not on clipless yet.

Master

Bikes stolen in West Mids

Hi guys, a friend has had some ebikes stolen in Rugeley, West Mids. Can we please keep a look out for Scott Genius FS blue with orange detail, Giant FS MTB (not ebike) light green with purple details and most importantly because it is rare now, a blue Decathlon Stilus FS with orange detail. Please pm if you see anything offered cheap eg no keys, chargers, paperwork or dodgy looking sale. We need to look after each other and stop profit from thievery.

Master

Bikes stolen in West Mids

Oops, repeated post by mistake

Finally got this built and ridden, Bowman Weald endurance frame in full winter mode, it’s no plodder though and rides just like a proper race bike but with 28c’s and full guards. I’ll ride this in the summer too with some lighter 32c’s and no guards.

Sram force 22 groupset, Thomson/Zipp finishing kit, Arkane Wheelworks carbon wheelset, Hutchinson fusion 5 tubeless.

Last edited by MrSmith; 5th February 2021 at 16:11.

Thought I'd post my recommendation of the 2 pt documentary "Lance" in here, about the notorious Mr Armstrong

I found it very interesting.

It's on iPlayer.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Any experience of Planet X bikes, in particular their gravel bikes? Was browsing their webiiste and notice they have stock coming in of:

- Tempest: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXTE...um-gravel-bike
    - Roadrunner: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBTIRR...nium-road-bike

I've been wanting to get a do it all bike for a while, but usual stock issues being problematic. I currently run a Specialized Allez road Bike and Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike but want to ditch the mountain bike for something that will handle itself on most terrains (the MTB is overkill for what I really need) whilst being closer to my road bike for winter riding. Could either of the above provide medium term replacement if I were to sell both my current bikes? Plan this year has always been to sell the Allez and buy a Canyon Endurace, if stock ever becomes available again, so possibly the Planet X can fill in sufficiently in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Finally got this built and ridden, Bowman Weald endurance frame in full winter mode, it’s no plodder though and rides just like a proper race bike but with 28c’s and full guards. I’ll ride this in the summer too with some lighter 32c’s and no guards.

Sram force 22 groupset, Thomson/Zipp finishing kit, Arkane Wheelworks carbon wheelset, Hutchinson fusion 5 tubeless.

Perfect. Looks very comfy. Enjoy!

Those two from Planet X look really interesting. I might swap my Diverge for something else this year as I think I got the wrong size. Titanium would be really cool, will have to see what the options are with my cycle to work scheme. Thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    Going for my first ride of the year later today. Nothing advanced, just a couple of miles in and around the city on my Surly Cross Check, but still looking forward to it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Jumped in and ordered, another blind purchase which I hope won't bite me but needs must. Delivery due week of 19 April, happy days.

Master
    Nice being able to get out on the roads again the last few days. Wind is horrendous here today though so bike is back on the turbo trainer for a Zwift session. Doing the bike bit of the Lakesman in June for my sister and brother in law as she swims, he runs but they're both rubbish on a bike🤣

Master
    Jumped in and ordered, another blind purchase which I hope won't bite me but needs must. Delivery due week of 19 April, happy days.
    I know a few people who run Planet X Ti's as their winter bikes, they are all happy with them and they do look very nice.

There's always a fair few Planet X bikes at CX races too.

Journeyman
    Planet x bikes are great value but their customer support can be iffy and their stock info and delivery dates can be a bit... optimistic. Fingers crossed they hit your date!
    Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Nice being able to get out on the roads again the last few days. Wind is horrendous here today though so bike is back on the turbo trainer for a Zwift session. Doing the bike bit of the Lakesman in June for my sister and brother in law as she swims, he runs but they're both rubbish on a bike藍
    Respectable average speed that Toddy. Im just back from being blown around and blowing on the hills around East Wales !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    Planet x bikes are great value but their customer support can be iffy and their stock info and delivery dates can be a bit... optimistic. Fingers crossed they hit your date!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes thank you I had ready some reviews echoing your sentiment, being a pre-order item also what could possibly go wrong

Master
    I've just done a service on a Cube Litening with 11 spd Dura Ace and Di2. I've never worked on a lighter and more well made bike it's absolutely lovely, carbon everything, sub 7kg I'm sure. I wish I could like road bikes as I would definitely have one of these. My Cube emtb weighs about 4 times heavier lol.

Grand Master

Never spare the horses for the love of cycling.

Someone could be having a very nice summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RIAC

Master

Wheel upgrade

A bit of advice from the cycling collective please. I would like to upgrade the wheels on my Beacon Carbon road bike. It currently has Fulcrum racing 7’s and at four years ( summer riding) they are still true. However I know the upgrade on tyres is noticable , currently running GP5000 tubed so my attention has turned to wheels.

My riding is mainly leisure / distance and climbing. I dont do any tt’s and comfort is something I would like to build into my choice.

A lad at out local club has gone with Hunts wheels and seems happy, they have a vast range in both price and design. My local bike shop has a pair of Spinergy Z lites at £650 using kevlar type spokes. Ideally I was looking at £500 for a rim braked option.

What suggestions or input would folk suggest? Thanks in advance

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought some Hunt Wheels and took them back - the tyre fit was impossibly tight; I took them back to their HQ and challenged the staff to fit the tyres; the first guy refused to try and then the bike tech managed it but he struggled. Would have been impossible on a cold wet muddy roadside in winter ... to be fair they didn't quibble and refunded me.

Went with Zipp 303S which are much wider than traditional wheels which means I can run bigger tyres at lower pressures; 60psi so they are comfortable and aero ... plus the tyre change is easy with no levers as there is a big well in the middle of the rim.

Bit more than your budget but worth it.

Master
    I would recommend something like:

Kinlin xr31 rims
    Sapim race or similar spokes
    Miche, Novatec or Hope hubs.

Try giving Malcolm at Cycleclinic a ring. Tell him your budget and what you want the wheels for and he'll build you an excellent set. Great warranty too.

Master
    Thanks for the comments guys I have sent an enquiry to Cycleclinic. Interesting comment on the Hunt wheels , some tyre rim combinations are a nightmare. I know from many nipped tubes!

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 12th March 2021 at 17:11.