closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Well done on Ventoux. I did again this July for the umpteenth time.

I did it on the day the storm hit Provence on the TdF sprint stage into Nimes in July. I got very lucky in that I made it down before it got too bad. The hail stones were crazy.

I was pretty slow on the descent due to the wind. It was impossible to keep any line. I have a video of it which I'll need to edit and upload.

My Chalet Reynard to the summit PB is 28.11 minutes @13kph. This time I did it in 42.51 minutes @8.5kph. Which is why you can't compare speeds up mountains as the conditions make so much difference. Laurens ten Dam has the Strava KOM @19.8kph. Goodness know What Froome did in 2013.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Well done !! I can't imagine how hard this must be - something I'd like to do one day. How long did it take ?

Great picture by the way
    Indeed!
    Living in the mountainous heart of Andalucia I have several difficult and 5K+ ft summits close by. The start of the La Veleta north climb is at just over 1 hour.
    Had a gf with quite a luxurious appartment halfway up. She still has, just not a gf anymore

I will go have a look from the south this Sunday.
    Will take the bike and will take pictures, but my only realistic ambition is the climb known as ´La Zubia´ though. It was the quite spectacular last bit of the 6th etappe of the Vuelta 2014.

Well done !! I can't imagine how hard this must be - something I'd like to do one day. How long did it take ?

Great picture by the way
    The big hills are as easy or as hard as you want.

You have the choice of a low gear and spin up Ventoux for a few hours at 5mph or you can suffer.

Anyone of normal, untrained fitness but who can ride a bike for a few hours can do Ventoux. No special training required unless you want to do it fast. I've seen pensioners with dogs in baskets going up Ventoux and I saw someone on a Raleigh Burner on l'Alpe d'Huez.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    ´Give me a lever long enough and I will lift the earth.´

Had an hilarious 'discussion' at the village square about that this morning when another cyclist commented on my bike having a two speed coaster hub and nothing more.
    I responded with asking him why he would go to the gym. If he would opt for the lightest loads available or the heaviest he can take.
    He did not get it. Tant pis.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 3rd September 2014 at 23:53.

Great picture by the way
    Thanks, something over two hours for both ascents, the climb from Malaucene is much tougher than the route from Sault I took earlier in the week with hardly any relief from the gradient in 13 miles.

You have the choice of a low gear and spin up Ventoux for a few hours at 5mph or you can suffer.

Anyone of normal, untrained fitness but who can ride a bike for a few hours can do Ventoux. No special training required unless you want to do it fast. I've seen pensioners with dogs in baskets going up Ventoux and I saw someone on a Raleigh Burner on l'Alpe d'Huez.
    Yes, I agree with this although the sense of achievement arriving at the top of a 6,000' plus climb is very palpable, at my age (57) just getting there is reward enough - I'm never going to post anything like a decent time!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    Yes, I agree with this although the sense of achievement arriving at the top of a 6,000' plus climb is very palpable, at my age (57) just getting there is reward enough - I'm never going to post anything like a decent time!
    I'm sorry if it sounds like I was belittling you achievement, that was not my intention.

Almost everyone who doors Ventoux tries hard and is knackered as a result. Me included.

I just wanted to give a little encouragement to those who think such a feat is impossible.

Master
    Have any of you keen riders ever taken spin classes during training? I know there is no substitute for getting the miles in, but as I understand it, 45 mins of interval training a 2 to 3 times a week should help improve one’s fitness?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Have any of you keen riders ever taken spin classes during training? I know there is no substitute for getting the miles in, but as I understand it, 45 mins of interval training a 2 to 3 times a week should help improve one’s fitness?
    I have never taken spinning classes. Only use(d) the machine as part of more integral training and yes it is a great aid.
    Also helps one´s knees a LOT when used to warm up the legs a bit before getting on the road.

Did Puli to Wuling about 3 weeks ago, apparently the highest road in SE Asia, final height reached was 3,275m, total climb was 2,800ish (roughly 9,000 feet), all uphill no downhills or even flats for breaks over around 40km. Some of the switchbacks are 1 in 5, a 'nice and easy' section is around 1 in 15.

These people did it over two days but their photo's show how amazing it is
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=276184

I am ashamed to say it took me 6hrs with some incredible cramp at around the 2,700m mark, once you get over 3,000, it is really hard as the air seems thin. There is a cehckpoint at around 2,800 where everyone has to be at by 10:30am otherwise you are not allowed to go up the rest of the mountain. A couple from my club missed the time and so didn't make it. Already I can't wait to sign up for next years event.

Quote Originally Posted by eldrich View Post
    Did Puli to Wuling about 3 weeks ago, apparently the highest road in SE Asia, final height reached was 3,275m, total climb was 2,800ish (roughly 9,000 feet), all uphill no downhills or even flats for breaks over around 40km. Some of the switchbacks are 1 in 5, a 'nice and easy' section is around 1 in 15.
    That's good going. Well done.

That's like Ventoux twice.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I was belittling you achievement, that was not my intention.

Almost everyone who doors Ventoux tries hard and is knackered as a result. Me included.

I just wanted to give a little encouragement to those who think such a feat is impossible.

No, no need to apologise Guinea I never took your comment in that way.

I was also trying to emphasise that the sense of achievement gained is well worth the effort whatever one's level of ability and fitness.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sunday I will go from Lanjaron to Orgiva and up as far as I can to the Mulhacen which has a smmuit at 3487 metres. The last bit cannot be done on a bicycle but that is academic for me anyway.
    My bike is a heavy steel framed retro with an SRAM Automatix two speed hub giving a 2.55 and 3.49 ratio.

In prep of Sunday have just taken the hub apart to set the shifting point higher.
    Hail http://mccraw.co.uk/sram-automatix-review/

That makes a WORLD of difference. Not only allows it for a higher frequency, but it also means that you get into high gear at a higher count.

Not mentioned in the article is that the standard light pre/load means that shakes by the surface give engagement of high too. More pre/load all but eliminates it.
    With this ever so simple adjustment the Automatix can be wholeheartedly supported.

One other thing. The circlip and refitting of the spring ask for the sturdier watchmaker's tools rather than the finer mechanic's ones and you need proper light too.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 4th September 2014 at 15:44.

Been into cycling for years, though regrettably don't ride much anymore as spend most of my spare time hacking round the golf course. Used to do triathlons for a good few years and did an Ironman. I much preferred the longer distance events to the Olympic distance etc. Nowadays I only own a couple of Cannondale bikes, a road bike and a mountain bike. Both nice machines and I really rate them.

Used to own this beauty below, but sold it on a couple of years ago as I wasn't riding it and it was just deteriorating in my garage so figured better off letting someone who would give it the attention it deserved own it.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jh...tml?sort=3&o=9

Was one of Paul Watson's original team bike, they each had two. Loved this bike and really enjoyed owning it.

Quote Originally Posted by hessa View Post
    Been into cycling for years, though regrettably don't ride much anymore as spend most of my spare time hacking round the golf course. Used to do triathlons for a good few years and did an Ironman. I much preferred the longer distance events to the Olympic distance etc. Nowadays I only own a couple of Cannondale bikes, a road bike and a mountain bike. Both nice machines and I really rate them.

Used to own this beauty below, but sold it on a couple of years ago as I wasn't riding it and it was just deteriorating in my garage so figured better off letting someone who would give it the attention it deserved own it.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jh...tml?sort=3&o=9

Was one of Paul Watson's original team bike, they each had two. Loved this bike and really enjoyed owning it.
    Beautiful machine:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Achielle Sam

Wing nuts Gripfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Wing nuts Gripfast.
    I'm afraid that expression has a meaning on this forum much different to the one you intended .

(good effort on the bike, nevertheless)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

(good effort on the bike, nevertheless)
    Thanks.
    Here is the whole;

Gripfast was a respectable old english firm manufacturing quality hardware.

Afaik their wing nuts have been out of production for several decades now. Just about all are in inch sizes even!
    The modern metric rear axle size was never produced I am told. I thus sourced a small enough one to bore and re-thread with M10 1.1 so it fits on the sturdy modern axle.

I wanted thése as they have a rare elegant yet functional beauty.
    The French Huret are reputed to have made the most elaborate wing nuts but I think the Gripfast ones are wáy more beautifull. Especially the unique rear ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 9th September 2014 at 17:21.

Smile

[QUOTE=Aquavit;3257222]Beautiful machine:

[/QUOTE

Thanks

Time for a bit of an update - evolution of a bicycle...

The GT pretty much as it was new (apart from tyres, tape and saddle)

A close encounter with a kerb necessitated new wheels (Shimano RS20)

Upgrades, we like upgrades (Shimano 105 group, Cinelli 1A stem, Deda Piega bars, Cinelli Vai saddle, Blackburn cages

New saddle (Charge Knife), Ti Skewers, (lighter) Blacburn cages and lost that silly bag and pump.

Hello, are those carbon forks I see? plus a Stronglight A9 headset. Actually I gained 6g with this upgrade - but the bike rides better (the aluminium forks were stiffer than a 13 year old with a copy of Razzle).

As it is today - new wheels (Soul 2.0) and pedals (Wellgo MG-8 with Ti spindles).

The bike was 23bs + new (about 10.5kg) today it weighs in at around 18.6lbs or 8.5kg

The wheels were one of the biggest savings 700g+ (compared as a set with tyres, tubes and cassette - the skewers are the same).

I realise that this wasn't the most economical way to upgrade (in fact buying a new bike would have been cheaper) but it was a lot of fun.

I think I'll leave this one like it is now and save for a new project (as all of the bits are somewhat better than the frame they are sat on now.

Cheers,

Mark C
    Last edited by markc; 16th September 2014 at 10:35.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    The wheels were one of the biggest savings 700g+ (compared as a set with tyres, tubes and cassette - the skewers are the same).
    Wow, congrats! That will be REALLY noticable!!

I like calculating things and it is surprising how much impact weight has on the effort needed. Obviously even more when at speed relative to the bike.

Currently I am slimming down since 5% less body weight = 5% less effort for the same job. Living/cycling in the mountains makes one quite aware of this.
    Slimming down a good life body is a LOT easier and cheaper than slimming down the bike. Heck, I can slim down more than the bike weighs
    Wel in a manner of speaking that is, but half is still a lot

Wow, congrats! That will be REALLY noticable!!

I like calculating things and it is surprising how much impact weight has on the effort needed. Obviously even more when at speed relative to the bike.

Currently I am slimming down since 5% less body weight = 5% less effort for the same job. Living/cycling in the mountains makes one quite aware of this.
    Slimming down a good life body is a LOT easier and cheaper than slimming down the bike. Heck, I can slim down more than the bike weighs
    Wel in a manner of speaking that is, but half is still a lot
    Done the slimming down thing too. Since last October I have lost 23lbs/10.5kg or the full weight of my bike before it went on a diet!

I feel a lot better for it and am eating like crazy at the moment just to maintain weight (reached my target and slightly overshot).

It's great not to have to worry about food and the lightness helps with badminton and squash as well as cycling.

Cheers,

Mark C

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Done the slimming down thing too. Since last October I have lost 23lbs/10.5kg or the full weight of my bike before it went on a diet!

I feel a lot better for it and am eating like crazy at the moment just to maintain weight (reached my target and slightly overshot).

It's great not to have to worry about food and the lightness helps with badminton and squash as well as cycling.

Cheers,

Mark C
    Double congratulations then Mark!

I don´t have 10.5 kilos to slim down but still too much for comfort.
    Also my bike is as minimalistic as it gets and slimming down would make it too weak for the rough surfaces I cannot avoid.
    The steel frame is HEAVY by modern standards as are the oversized thick 36 spoke weels/touring rims and relatively cumbersome puncture resistant rubbers. The wonderfull wheels you have mounted simply would not survive long enough to make it worthwhile

It is not that I would want it differently but when I am working to cover a stretch of 4, 5 km. flattisch, relatively smooth tarmac into a head wind I sure thínk about a lightweight bike on high pressure tubes... Untill the next bit of ridgey, potholed camino.

Double congratulations then Mark!

I don´t have 10.5 kilos to slim down but still too much for comfort.
    Also my bike is as minimalistic as it gets and slimming down would make it too weak for the rough surfaces I cannot avoid.
    The steel frame is HEAVY by modern standards as are the oversized thick 36 spoke weels/touring rims and relatively cumbersome puncture resistant rubbers. The wonderfull wheels you have mounted simply would not survive long enough to make it worthwhile

It is not that I would want it differently but when I am working to cover a stretch of 4, 5 km. flattisch, relatively smooth tarmac into a head wind I sure thínk about a lightweight bike on high pressure tubes... Untill the next bit of ridgey, potholed camino.
    The wheels (and tyres) might surprise you.

I ride over Scotland's bumpy, potholed roads pretty much every day on these with Continental GP400Sii tyres. The wheels are strong, stiff and true and the tyres are puncture resistant (fingers crossed).

I've certainly put over 4000km on a pair of GP4000S tyres before now with no flats.

Re: weight - I wasn't "overweight" but was the heaviest I've been (towards the top of my BMI range at 80.5kg) I'm now 70kg (and 180.5cm tall) so absolutely in the middle of my BMI range - which was my target.

Cheers,

Mark C

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The wheels (and tyres) might surprise you.

I ride over Scotland's bumpy, potholed roads pretty much every day on these with Continental GP400Sii tyres. The wheels are strong, stiff and true and the tyres are puncture resistant (fingers crossed).

I've certainly put over 4000km on a pair of GP4000S tyres before now with no flats.

Re: weight - I wasn't "overweight" but was the heaviest I've been (towards the top of my BMI range at 80.5kg) I'm now 70kg (and 180.5cm tall) so absolutely in the middle of my BMI range - which was my target.

Cheers,

Mark C
    Now if you would go OFF Scotlands roads onto toke graveled lanes, then you would get the caminos I cannot avoid. Campo tracks consisting of compacted granite split. My own track is like that too.
    Ofcourse one can moderate the speed but for one that does not get you anywhere and secondly this is seriously hilly counthy where what goes up must go down and vv so you use the speed of the down to carry you up as far as possible. The possible being limited by the speed with wich you can take the inevitable rust/holes at the bottom...
    A cyclecross bike or equivalent is what I need unfortunately.

As to the weight I applaud you. Wish I could get that far under my length. Chapeau!!
    That would see me loose 10 kilos too. Ah, if only. Thanks for the perspective. I will go out on the bike with renewed motivation after lunch.

p.s. that became very after lunch. Meanwhile the wind had seriously picked up so the already challenging hilly route became gruwelling on the two speeder. Still chilling my gf just told me that she has decided to go on a diet and it is a small yoghurt for supper.
    I may get to 10 kilo yet...

p.p.s the vintage cyclometer is a pleasure. It ticks like a grandfather's clock and is accurate to within 2%
    Next will be a stopwatch with tachymeter scale calibrated in kms and cycling speeds.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 16th September 2014 at 19:49.

Back to the real world after 6 months of riding in shorts with bare arms for most of the time on my 7.2kg Rose. Out on my Felt 9.4kg winter bike yesterday, Northwave Celcius goretex lined boots, full finger gloves, fleece skull cap etc etc for a good soaking. The Crud RoadRacer Mk2 guards I fitted work very well indeed with no spray at all off either wheel on me. Only slight downside is they wont allow anything bigger than a 23mm tyre on my Felt, not a big problem as @ 95psi is comfy and grippy enough in the wet with Schwalbe Luganos fitted. The roads were dodgy after all the dry weather and resultant film of crap on the surface, needed to take care on anything like a corner.
    F.T.F.A.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Back to the real world after 6 months of riding in shorts with bare arms for most of the time on my 7.2kg Rose. Out on my Felt 9.4kg winter bike yesterday, Northwave Celcius goretex lined boots, full finger gloves, fleece skull cap etc etc for a good soaking. The Crud RoadRacer Mk2 guards I fitted work very well indeed with no spray at all off either wheel on me. Only slight downside is they wont allow anything bigger than a 23mm tyre on my Felt, not a big problem as @ 95psi is comfy and grippy enough in the wet with Schwalbe Luganos fitted. The roads were dodgy after all the dry weather and resultant film of crap on the surface, needed to take care on anything like a corner.
    That made me smile.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Do you have a photo?

Over here it is still summer. Chilly in the morning but wáy more comfortable than 40 degrees. Living in a rural area, crap in the corners is an all year round reality and tricky wet or dry. That is why I stopped riding motorcycles.
    Wednesday a farmer lost só much dung over a speed bump that he had to return and scoop it up. That still left tens of kilos which gradually travelled down the descend, into the blind corner entering the village built up area...
    Oh, the ticking of the mechanical cyclometer is very satisfying.

Ride safely Magirus!

Master
    Converted the nose of my commuter / crosser to hydraulic disc last night. Come on winter, bring it!

Master
    Looks all cable to me. Where's the hydraulic bits?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae View Post
    Look like cable operated hydraulic calipers to me.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Look like cable operated hydraulic calipers to me.

Pete
    That's exactly what they are. Useful as they can be used with existing levers.
    F.T.F.A.

Picked up new spec diverge today,

Master
    Master cylinder on the calliper. Means that the pads 'float' which you don't get with straight forward mechanical discs. With Jagwire cables I'm not seeing much of a difference to standard master cylinder on the lever full hydraulic systems in terms of performance - and they work right off the Shimano 105 brifters. AND I still get the cross levers. Best solution so far IMO.

Wheel, forks, disc, calliper, Shimano pads and Jagwire cables came in at a shade over 300 with Haribo thrown in. Good old Wiggle.
    Last edited by Beaunidle; 15th October 2014 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Master cylinder on the calliper. Means that the pads 'float' which you don't get with straight forward mechanical discs. With Jagwire cables I'm not seeing much of a difference to standard master cylinder on the lever full hydraulic systems in terms of performance - and they work right off the Shimano 105 brifters. AND I still get the cross levers. Best solution so far IMO.
    I have them on campagnolo levers and they are poor.

Campagnolo levers don't have enough pull and although these are supposed to self regulate, after a little wear they provide no braking.

I am now trying to replace the front pad, which wore out after 2.4k km (using shimano pads which are supposed to wear better) and I can't get the thing to brake effectively at all.

I may have to ditch the group set and go shimano as they have a fully hydraulic system.

Master
    Hi guinea,

Hopefully not a silly question, but have you got the cable adjusted so that the lock bolt will engage? If not then the return circuit may not be operating correctly.

Hi guinea,

Hopefully not a silly question, but have you got the cable adjusted so that the lock bolt will engage? If not then the return circuit may not be operating correctly.
    Yes. This should enable the pads to automatically adjust, but keeps them further from the rotor which limits braking.

I know guys who set it up with the bolt unscrewed to keep it tighter (you are supposed to screw it, adjust it, then unscrew to ensure the reservoir is free) and I tried the same for a while, but the simple fact is the campag lever doesn't pull enough cable.

Enjoyed this thread. I've a 3 year old Specialized Secteur which is to be relegated to winter hack once my custom build Burls titanium arrives in the next few weeks. Will post a pic when its with me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Enjoyed this thread. I've a 3 year old Specialized Secteur which is to be relegated to winter hack once my custom build Burls titanium arrives in the next few weeks. Will post a pic when its with me.
    Jason Burls makes bloody lovely bikes (or at least designs them wrt Ti) damn good choice Sir.

Jason Burls makes bloody lovely bikes (or at least designs them wrt Ti) damn good choice Sir.
    Its been a great experience designing the geometry and choosing the components. Justin Burls is great, offering wisdom and experience to guide you through the process. Strangely I'm riding a lot more since I made the decision, 150 miles this week so far (mostly in the rain) before the usual long weekend ride. I think I'm trying to get fit enough to justify the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    Picked up new spec diverge today,
    Nice. Trying to convince myself I don't need one as a winter companion to my Roubaix...

Master
    Its been a great experience designing the geometry and choosing the components. Justin Burls is great, offering wisdom and experience to guide you through the process. Strangely I'm riding a lot more since I made the decision, 150 miles this week so far (mostly in the rain) before the usual long weekend ride. I think I'm trying to get fit enough to justify the bike!

I have a Justin Burls ti winter bike, makes me look forward to the rubbish weather!

Master
    Snap!

My 3yr old secteur has been relegated to "wet bike" status since I got my hi-Mod Cannondale Synapse Ultegra :)

However I have continuously modded and upgraded my synapse such that the only thing original to when I bought it is the frame & forks... Everything else has been changed / upgraded. Love the frame / geometry though.

Banned
    Crickey, some of you lot are right precious about your bikes!

heres a pic that pretty much nails how i feel about my ride

SO, those 2 bikes of mine on sales corner- am I way off on price?
    thanks
    Goat

Grand Master
    Ive done the whole wet bike / dry bike / race bike / training bike and have to say that the best option is just to ride them come rain and shine as I had a spanking shiny S-Works with full Di2 and nice wheels that I never rode plus the same bike that I rode in every imaginable weather and lightly maintained daily / weekly.

On selling them I got £200 less for the hammered one after 12,000 miles on it compared to 760 miles on the 'Race' bike Hardly worth it so now I just have one bike fits all and never worry about it, my only real concern is me getting cold
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Snap!

My 3yr old secteur has been relegated to "wet bike" status since I got my hi-Mod Cannondale Synapse Ultegra :)

However I have continuously modded and upgraded my synapse such that the only thing original to when I bought it is the frame & forks... Everything else has been changed / upgraded. Love the frame / geometry though.
    Which secteur do you have? Mines an Elite with Tiagra (white and red model). Good workhorse. I like the geometry but also like the Specialized Allez geometry so for the Ti bike I've gone for something between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Ive done the whole wet bike / dry bike / race bike / training bike and have to say that the best option is just to ride them come rain and shine as I had a spanking shiny S-Works with full Di2 and nice wheels that I never rode plus the same bike that I rode in every imaginable weather and lightly maintained daily / weekly.

On selling them I got £200 less for the hammered one after 12,000 miles on it compared to 760 miles on the 'Race' bike Hardly worth it so now I just have one bike fits all and never worry about it, my only real concern is me getting cold
    Agree, they are tools to be used. Even my di2 gets used and abused on the daily hustle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Fine if you ride by yourself, on some club rides you need mudguards, nothing worse than getting a face full of horse sh*t from the rider in front.

I think if you ride year round then you might as well have a best and a daily bike at least. Because once the salt starts going down it wrecks them really fast unless you spend half your life cleaning them and I have better things to do than clean bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Nice. Trying to convince myself I don't need one as a winter companion to my Roubaix...
    Thanks, all accessories swapped from my sirrus, ready for a ride tomorrow.

Not sure what to do about mud guard (rear) the fenders look a bit traditional for me, want something a bit sportier, any ideas?

Also my first bike with disc brakes, don't feel as powerful as I'd hoped, only been round the close though??

Master
    The disc brakes will take a little bedding in - a few long gradual downhills will sort them out, brake and release a few times rather than building up speed and braking hard.

Mudguards: the Cruds suit bikes like that very well:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-roadrac...-mudguard-set/