closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 41 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

I used to cycle a lot but then have not done any for about 5 years as I'd stopped due to moving to Yorkshire where the roads are nothing other than pure danger. I live in a less dangerous place now.

I'm looking at picking up a road bike or adventure bike type thing used, don't really want to spend more than £400 but was looking at this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felt-F95-...s/264822294738

Can anyone advise if this is any good? I don't know anything about what brands/models are currently, I used to have a Kona Sutra and quite a few folding bikes. Want to be able to cycle for exercise (we have country road areas nearby), but would also be good if it could take panniers to drop in to the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I used to cycle a lot but then have not done any for about 5 years as I'd stopped due to moving to Yorkshire where the roads are nothing other than pure danger. I live in a less dangerous place now.

I'm looking at picking up a road bike or adventure bike type thing used, don't really want to spend more than £400 but was looking at this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felt-F95-...s/264822294738

Can anyone advise if this is any good? I don't know anything about what brands/models are currently, I used to have a Kona Sutra and quite a few folding bikes. Want to be able to cycle for exercise (we have country road areas nearby), but would also be good if it could take panniers to drop in to the supermarket.
    That's a Felt F95, I have the Z95 model. The difference is that the F95 has slightly more "racy" geometry, whereas the Z95 is more relaxed, also mine came with an 11-32 cassette, the one you are looking at has an 11-25. I got mine in a sale to use as a winter bike for @ £380 if I recall correctly, it was @ £550 full price. The Sora groupset works very smoothly, the only bugbear was the brakes so I put much better pads on, they're ok now but I'll probably fit better calipers at some point. That said I'm used to the brakes on 11speed Ultegra which are excellent. The wheels are fine for splashing about in the winter, in the summer I put the Mavic Aksiums that came on my Rose on it, which are spares as the Rose has Zondas on now. With Raceguards fitted 23mm is the biggest tyre I can get on, maybe their new model allows larger. If you get it for that price or hopefully even less it's a good buy IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just finished watching the Milan to SanRemo Race. It’s 300km of sheer hard work, fantastic finish.
    Last edited by hilly10; 8th August 2020 at 17:34.

Master
    Great finish indeed and happy to see Wout win again

Was a great finish in the Tour de Pologne yesterday too. And today for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's a Felt F95, I have the Z95 model. The difference is that the F95 has slightly more "racy" geometry, whereas the Z95 is more relaxed, also mine came with an 11-32 cassette, the one you are looking at has an 11-25. I got mine in a sale to use as a winter bike for @ £380 if I recall correctly, it was @ £550 full price. The Sora groupset works very smoothly, the only bugbear was the brakes so I put much better pads on, they're ok now but I'll probably fit better calipers at some point. That said I'm used to the brakes on 11speed Ultegra which are excellent. The wheels are fine for splashing about in the winter, in the summer I put the Mavic Aksiums that came on my Rose on it, which are spares as the Rose has Zondas on now. With Raceguards fitted 23mm is the biggest tyre I can get on, maybe their new model allows larger. If you get it for that price or hopefully even less it's a good buy IMHO.
    Thanks for your advice, this is all good to hear. I think I will give this a go on the auction.

36 miles on the Hybrid this afternoon - too hot really, but through some lovely countryside.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    Fun weekend at Bike Park Wales - highly recommended if you haven't been, theres loads of trails catering for all abilities.

And towing my pal (who is wearing the gopro) down one of the jump trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZMDNBSJyQ
    Some skilful gutsy riding their , well done

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Great finish indeed and happy to see Wout win again
    +1 everyone rates Alaphilippe on the descents but that is where WVA caught him up - and he did most of the work as they stayed away till the finish.. Mind you, I suppose JA chasing to get back to the group after his puncture took a bit out of him for the finish..

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    36 miles on the Hybrid this afternoon - too hot really, but through some lovely countryside.
    We managed 17 on ours today. My Wahoo reckoned on 37 degrees at one point (in direct sun) but 32 was more likely.
    Was going to put some miles on my Cube this evening but figured it was about to get dark quite quickly

Master
    I went out for 30 and 35 km yesterday and today. Wish I hadn't frankly, it was far too hot and I am awful when it's like this.

I did enjoy the cold showers afterwards mind.

Master
    Tonight did my first 10 mile road time trial. I was hoping for sub 27 minutes and scraped in at 26:56, but it was so hot my heart rate was maxed out and I was a good 20-30 watts down on what I would normally do. It was a two lap course and a few people bailed out after one lap.

Quite pleased though given the heat and being an old git on a road bike who can't get aero due to a knackered back!

I've entered another TT next Monday which is a bit flatter, and apparently the course the national championship will be on, fingers crossed it will be a bit cooler so maybe can go a bit quicker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Tonight did my first 10 mile road time trial. I was hoping for sub 27 minutes and scraped in at 26:56, but it was so hot my heart rate was maxed out and I was a good 20-30 watts down on what I would normally do. It was a two lap course and a few people bailed out after one lap.
    Our club had a 10 mile TT in Great Missenden last night - I did my fastest time in 25 years (though for 20+ I have not raced...). Sunday we have a West London Combine 25 mile TT on the H25/4, and as that is my first 25 for 25 years, I will count that as a PB, no matter what time I do.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quite pleased though given the heat and being an old git on a road bike who can't get aero due to a knackered back!

I've entered another TT next Monday which is a bit flatter, and apparently the course the national championship will be on, fingers crossed it will be a bit cooler so maybe can go a bit quicker.
    Good effort for your first one. My first 10 was in 1989 and I did 25.22. It was a fairly fast course as well. My pb is now 18.44.

I'm also well down on power when it's really hot. It's your brain's way of keeping you alive when you overheat.

I recommend what I call the water trick. Just before you start pour a whole bottle of plain water over your skinsuit/jersey/shorts so that you are soaking. When you get going the evaporation really cools you down. Gives you back those watts :-)
    Last edited by trident-7; 12th August 2020 at 11:32.

A bit lazy of me, but I wouldn’t mind getting an E-Bike! I Think it would make me get out and about more. Been looking at used ones on eBay but since lockdown and the nicer weather people have jacked the prices right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    A bit lazy of me, but I wouldn’t mind getting an E-Bike! I Think it would make me get out and about more. Been looking at used ones on eBay but since lockdown and the nicer weather people have jacked the prices right up.

I always see them as sitting in a motorboat and thinking you have been for a swim. !
    RIAC

Master
    Don’t worry about being lazy, you’ll be getting plenty of exercise...

https://formative.jmir.org/2019/3/e13643/

“Results: The average heart rate during eMTB use was 94% (31/33) of the average heart rate during conventional mountain bike use. Therefore, eMTB use in this study achieved a majority of the exercise response and exceeded established biometric thresholds for cardiovascular fitness. Paired t test statistics were calculated to compare beliefs of conventional mountain bikes and eMTBs and to compare mean heart rate and speed between conventional mountain bike and eMTB use on the study loop. Participants overwhelmingly perceived the potential impact of eMTB use to be positive on both pre- and post-eMTB ride questionnaires....

...excellent form of aerobic or cardiovascular exercise, even for experienced mountain bikers who regularly engage in this fitness activity.”

The report ties in with my own experience where my average HR is approx 10-15 bpm lower on my eMTB vs my regular bikes over the same course.

Might be more economical buying new through a cycle to work scheme. The new Specialized electric bikes look very nice. I can see myself getting one at some point and think they'll only increase in popularity. 80 miles on a full charge (120 with extender) and 28mph max speed? Yes please, if only for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    and 28mph max speed? Yes please, if only for the hills.
    No. 15.5mph max assist speed anything above that needs to registered with DVLA. You can go faster but that’s from you pedalling.

Might be more economical buying new through a cycle to work scheme. The new Specialized electric bikes look very nice. I can see myself getting one at some point and think they'll only increase in popularity. 80 miles on a full charge (120 with extender) and 28mph max speed? Yes please, if only for the hills.
    That’s a great idea! My employer does the cycle to work scheme I think (or at least they used to).

And with regards to fitness on ebikes I can imagine it is very tiring. I used to ride off road motorbikes when I was younger - that would tire me out more than 90mins of football would!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    No. 15.5mph max assist speed anything above that needs to registered with DVLA. You can go faster but that’s from you pedalling.
    You're right, apologies. 15.5mph is still good. The bike looks quite good too although one of the mountain bikes might give a more comfy ride?

Grand Master
    Still dont get it. When i go out on a bike i look for hills to go up! Thats the fun part
    RIAC

eBikes are very heavy, so manoeuvring one on a rough trail would be a good work out. Important to check on range & the battery capacity etc. The cheaper eBikes (under £1,500) tend to skimp in this area.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Just think of how many bargain second handers will flood onto the market once Covid recedes and all the new cyclists get bored.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Just think of how many bargain second handers will flood onto the market once Covid recedes and all the new cyclists get bored.
    One hopes they wont. I do hope that it is a kick up the arse that some need to get fit to avoid dying or a realisation that the joy of 2 wheels is amazing and for life
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    That’s a good point. A bit like used gym equipment in around March/April - People buy all the equipment for “New Years resolution”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I recommend what I call the water trick. Just before you start pour a whole bottle of plain water over your skinsuit/jersey/shorts so that you are soaking. When you get going the evaporation really cools you down. Gives you back those watts :-)
    Funnily enough I took a bottle of water for that purpose but used it after not before! Definitely advice I will heed next time it is hot...

The course yesterday was a little bit lumpy (a couple of bridges over the motorway and a longer climb at one point, the one next week is pretty flat so hopefully it will be a bit faster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    One hopes they wont. I do hope that it is a kick up the arse that some need to get fit to avoid dying or a realisation that the joy of 2 wheels is amazing and for life
    I hope so to but the signs aren't that great, I cycle to work most days and the number of bikes at work has steadily declined over the last 3 months. I was hoping it would have increased given the weather and a healthy way to travel.

I spent more than I should have on my bike to make sure this doesn't happen! I now have to use it to get to work when the office opens again.

Master
    Still dont get it. When i go out on a bike i look for hills to go up! Thats the fun part
    My wife has one, she likes being able to get outdoors in the countryside but hates cycling up hills. Having an e-bike means we can go for cafe rides together which would have been impossible before. I have got a few PRs on hills trying to keep up with her as she serenely pedals away in turbo mode!

Also, I remember doing a col in the Ardeches a couple of years ago and had just reached the top when this old chap turned up on an e-bike. He did say he reckoned he'd worked a bit less hard than I had to get to the top! There's no way he'd have been able to go out riding in the mountains without that assistance.

All in all I think they are a great enabling technology for those who want to get outdoors and get a bit of exercise, but are perhaps lacking fitness or maybe a bit overweight. I think back to the miserable time I had on steep climbs when I took up cycling 5 or 6 years ago now and was over 20kg heavier than I am now.

Master
    You're right, apologies. 15.5mph is still good. The bike looks quite good too although one of the mountain bikes might give a more comfy ride?
    Thats the Specialized Vado 4 LE , just the bike I have been looking at for my wife. At this profile and weight the divergence between e and normal bikes is reducing. Wileeeey Ill be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Steve

Anyone got any any top advise on which bike computer with decent mapping to buy . I may hang on and see what appears on amazon prime day when it happens so just lookingbto do some research for a 16yr old . My son has just got the cycle bug andvtaken my racer back to swindon and currently qite happy getting lost on 50 to 80 mile rides alone. I think it may help him find his home as he doesn't have carrier pigeon skills :)
    Just a little on what he is using, which is my old shimano flightdeck and using the Strava app.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Anyone got any any top advise on which bike computer with decent mapping to buy . I may hang on and see what appears on amazon prime day when it happens so just lookingbto do some research for a 16yr old . My son has just got the cycle bug andvtaken my racer back to swindon and currently qite happy getting lost on 50 to 80 mile rides alone. I think it may help him find his home as he doesn't have carrier pigeon skills :)
    Just a little on what he is using, which is my old shimano flightdeck and using the Strava app.

I’ve a Garmin Edge 130 which is the entry level Garmin. It does the job though, links with my phone, can store routes created on Garmin Connect and shows turn by turn nav, plus syncs with Strava.

Blog Entries
    Any tips of things to eat before a ride? I much prefer to be out on the road early, say 6:30/7am but also not an early eater. I've noticed feeling sluggish, but later in the morning after breakfast etc much more perky and energetic. So, any tips on things to eat early to provide some fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Thats the Specialized Vado 4 LE , just the bike I have been looking at for my wife. At this profile and weight the divergence between e and normal bikes is reducing. Wileeeey Ill be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Steve
    I'm not getting one, I just bought a 2021 Diverge but was looking at this before I settled on the diverge. My point was I can see myself getting an e-bike at some point in the future. Like others on this thread I think an electric bike for my wife and a normal one for me would be a good set up. My wife doesn't love cycling but does do it when forced, but the hills really put her off. I think if she had something like this should would go out on it much more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Any tips of things to eat before a ride? I much prefer to be out on the road early, say 6:30/7am but also not an early eater. I've noticed feeling sluggish, but later in the morning after breakfast etc much more perky and energetic. So, any tips on things to eat early to provide some fuel?
    I'm not a breakfast eater but like you found I felt sluggish on early rides. I usually have a bit of porridge before long rides which does the trick for me, being slow release.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I’ve a Garmin Edge 130 which is the entry level Garmin. It does the job though, links with my phone, can store routes created on Garmin Connect and shows turn by turn nav, plus syncs with Strava.
    I have the entry level Wahoo which will be similar to the Garmin. Breadcrumb maps with turn by turn but hard to program routes if I'm honest. The times I don't know where I'm going I use Google maps in my headphones and listen to the directions but this won't be any good if he's looking to map trails.

Master
    In contrast I find route programming pretty easy on Wahoo. I use RideWithGPS and then synch routes via the Wahoo app. Even lets you add turn by turn alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    In contrast I find route programming pretty easy on Wahoo. I use RideWithGPS and then synch routes via the Wahoo app. Even lets you add turn by turn alerts.
    I've been using the Elemnt app which works but only gives one route. I also have Komoot but seems to be hit and miss when importing into the Elemnt app to upload to the unit but I'm probably doing it wrong

Master
    My wife has one, she likes being able to get outdoors in the countryside but hates cycling up hills. Having an e-bike means we can go for cafe rides together which would have been impossible before. I have got a few PRs on hills trying to keep up with her as she serenely pedals away in turbo mode!
    This is exactly why my wife has a Boardman electric hybrid - we can now cycle together.
    And yes, sometimes it hurts keeping up with her on hills.

Pete

I would suggest at least a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt or Garmin 530 as they have a base map. You can also upload routes into your device through their respective apps. Also import from Komoot. I also know that at least for Garmin you can get the device to navigate you back to the start of the ride.

I have a new Garmin 130 as well but it doesn't have a base map. I don't really need it for navigation tbh.

An alternative solution is to get a solid phone mount and use strava/google maps.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    I would suggest at least a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt or Garmin 530 as they have a base map. You can also upload routes into your device through their respective apps. Also import from Komoot. I also know that at least for Garmin you can get the device to navigate you back to the start of the ride.

I have a new Garmin 130 as well but it doesn't have a base map. I don't really need it for navigation tbh.

An alternative solution is to get a solid phone mount and use strava/google maps.
    Think i might have a spare 830 i need to get round to selling
    RIAC

Think i might have a spare 830 i need to get round to selling
    You sure have plenty of stuff.

Are the background maps still rubbish on garmins? I downloaded the open street map tiles for my area and stuck them on a micro sd card. There is a website where you put in what you want and they make a package of the tiles for you. Been a while so can’t remember the site. DC rainmaker is a good source of info and reviews on all things Garmin/mapping for cycling.

Master
    I use a 530 and find the base map to be pretty good, both on and off road. The 530/830 is so much better overall than the Garmins from a few years back. I had switched to Wahoo but the Garmin integrates better with my Turbo Levo plus the Roam is around £70 more than the 530.
    Last edited by benny.c; 13th August 2020 at 12:57.

Does anyone use and rate the K Edge mounts? I'm trying to use my Wahoo with my Bontrager under it. Seems a lot of money and if I go with 2x front lights 1x wahoo and 1x GoPro for commuting I would need two of them. Quite painful.

I really rate the K-Edge stuff.

I use one to mount the garmin out front with a camera underneath it.

It's been faultless for 6+ years.

£70 for a mount! I thought my quad lock was expensive! I got a 2 bike rack mount from Rockbros for less than double that!

Master
    Not cheap either but I've got a couple of Raceware Direct mounts, good quality.