closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought Dowsett's ride had put the record on the shelf at 17:20. To take 45 seconds off that (16:35) is incredible. I think the average speed was about 36mph iirc. I think the 25 record could be beaten fairly soon. That was on the R25/3 in South Wales, which has a 3 mile descent in it that you don't have to go back up. The National 25 is on that course this year

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Thanks! Meant to say the third picture in the sequence is 10 metres form the line. The second pic is through and off in the breakaway group

I am yet to rub shoulders with the pros :( Closest I came was when Brad joined in our chainy on a training camp in Majoraca. We were working our nuts off and he was just playing at it. It seemed like no effort to him at all. A proper case of man vs. boys

Not ridden the V718 or as we call it here the end of the M62! Things like the 28 Bolton Wanderers coaches coming past at 60 mph frighten the life out of me. Soft I know! A couple of my team mates have done short 19's there. I only do about 3 or 4 TT's a year which usually includes the Warrington RC 4-up on the J/29 which is more fun for me as its not as lonely :)
    Haha, quite literally the end of the M62. The trick is to time your ride to coincide with a ferry load of container lorries disembarking from Hull docks & heading for the M62 as you start your return leg.

Master
    Heads up - The Raleigh Story is on BBC4 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    This is mine, Nukeproof Mega AM (27.5). Not too bad at climbing but point it downhill and it comes into its own.

Also have a Ribble road bike but prefer mountain biking.
    Nice to see another Nukey!
    I've got the 26'er TR - cracking bikes.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

New Arrival

This arrived this week ...

2017 Cube Stereo HPC 120 SL 27.5 FS
    Carbon frame + ally rear end (12.5kg with pedals)
    Fox Factory Forks, Shock
    Not been out on this yet - looking forward to tomorrow morning!
    I've just set this up tubeless and have ordered the EVOL Air Can which is meant to improve shock quite a bit.

And also have this Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er HT
    10kg - very quick and thanks to Kerry (100thMonkey) for selling it to me. Loved every minute on this...
    Kerry modded this with Hope brakes, wheels, carbon everywhere. I was amazed how fast this was.
    Last edited by I a n; 23rd April 2017 at 17:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    So my beloved Team Katusha Canyon Aeroad developed a crack in the chain stay. To their credit Canyon have been brilliant. They arranged a courier to pick the bike up & today emailed me to say that they are replacing the frame under warranty. Unfortunately I can't have one in Team Katusha colours.

I've got to choose between Stealth Black:

Or Cherry Pepper Red:

I don't like either of them as much as the Team Katusha colour scheme & I'm 50/50 over what to choose. What's the consensus?
    Thanks for everybody's input on this. I went for the Cherry Pepper Red & it was returned to me today.

Craftsman
    Very nice, like red and black, there again I'm biased as I have 2.

Last edited by Andrew S; 29th April 2017 at 09:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Nice to see another Nukey!
    I've got the 26'er TR - cracking bikes.

Just had to order the new 2017 Mega frame as the one in the pic cracked around the seat tube! Was out of warranty but they offered me the new frame for £850 instead of £1700 with 5 years warranty.

Master
    Just had to order the new 2017 Mega frame as the one in the pic cracked around the seat tube! Was out of warranty but they offered me the new frame for £850 instead of £1700 with 5 years warranty.

I was cleaning my Giant road bile (TCR Aluminium) in Jan of this year , only to find the drive side seat stay had cracked through. The only reason I found it was because I did a deep clean, took the wheels off and had it on a bike stand, so lots of light.

Top tip bikers, keep an eye on your frames especially down by the bottom bracket, seat or lower head tube. Thats where the fatigue causes chronic failure.

Enjoy the new frame, Im sure this one will be fine. Last question are you running with a lot of seat post showing, if so is it above the safety mark? You might be better going to a 420/ 450 seat post to reinforce the seat tube from within.

Hth

Steve

I'm thinking of going Carbon frame and disc brakes with this Giant Defy Advanced Pro.
    The aluminium framed Defy I have has almost 6,000miles on it and is still doing well though....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Stick some proper mudguards on my Cube Cross Race and have the perfect all year round bike

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Anyone watch the tour de Yorkshire?

It came up my hill and past my house. Really enjoyed it. Watch it back and miss my house completely. Can't believe it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

It came up my hill and past my house. Really enjoyed it. Watch it back and miss my house completely. Can't believe it. Lol
    I remember when the Olympics road race came past our house. One blink and you missed it.

I'm a keen cyclist, but have to say watching it was/is a total anticlimax.

Yes, watched it on Carr Rd. TV camera caught me in my full glory. Yet to be recognised in the street though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post

Stick some proper mudguards on my Cube Cross Race and have the perfect all year round bike

Really like that!
    I use a first generation 7005 Kinesis Crosslight with mudguards as a year round bike. What's the ride quality like. Thanks, grey
    Last edited by grey; 1st May 2017 at 19:50. Reason: googled 2 answers!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I remember when the Olympics road race came past our house. One blink and you missed it.

I'm a keen cyclist, but have to say watching it was/is a total anticlimax.
    We live at the top of a one mile long hill. So it was good to see them come up and the difference between the leaders and the pack was really interesting to see. Was a great atmosphere

Wasn't nice to see that rider sparked out at the bottom of our hill though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Yes, watched it on Carr Rd. TV camera caught me in my full glory. Yet to be recognised in the street though.
    Haha. I live in Green Moor - bit annoying to be so close to the finish line but wanting to see it by my house instead.

Craftsman

Doesn't that look like someone has tried to cut your frame with an angle grinder or something?

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Really like that!
    I use a first generation 7005 Kinesis Crosslight with mudguards as a year round bike. What's the ride quality like. Thanks, grey
    Thanks, I purchased it as a Winter bike to keep my carbon road bike in good order as I'm riding from London to Paris in September for the Royal British Legion.

I did some research last September at the NEC bike show and decided to go down the disc brake route for the 1st time. I was going to buy the 2017 version at the show for £1300 but decided to do a little more checking at home and glad I did. I found a new 2016 model (mine) being offered for £1050. Considering it had full Ultegra and the 2017 the 105 Groupset it was an easy decision to make.

The hydraulic discs are awesome and I've been out in all Weathers covering roads, muddy paths and gravel tracks. It's not the lightest bike, but it means I should see the benefits when I switch back to my carbon frame one. I did swap the tyres over as they were knobblies, fine for cycle cross which is what the bike was designed for, but I wanted something that allowed road riding too. I have put on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre now. 25s so a little easier to spin up but they still are ok on most tracks and have good puncture resistancecy.

The only issue is that occasionally the front mudguard clips my toe. It doesn't help having size 10 feet, but the frame is more compact than I'm used too...I think CX bikes are designed this way. Apart from that it's been great and is a real head turner

Master
    Quote: The only issue is that occasionally the front mudguard clips my toe. It doesn't help having size 10 feet, but the frame is more compact than I'm used too...I think CX bikes are designed this way. Apart from that it's been great and is a real head turner

I find on both my Genesis and Beacon my feet catch the front wheel on tight turns, I also felt this on a Cannondale Evo last year, so I guess its a "feature " not a problem!

Just stumbled accross this thread whilst looking. For a new mountain bike anyone have any sub £1000 recommendations primarily will be used off road mostly gravel tracks and canal paths?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Timetotalk View Post
    Just stumbled accross this thread whilst looking. For a new mountain bike anyone have any sub £1000 recommendations primarily will be used off road mostly gravel tracks and canal paths?
    Check out the Boardman range at Halfords
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...brand=Boardman

Boardman bikes are known for being better specced than many others for the price - all thanks to the buying power of Halfords.
    The Halfords brand does put some buyers off - but get past that and you'll get a better bike than you could on the high street.

I'd be thinking of something from their hybrid range - but bear in mind that hybrids do tend to be a compromise.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Timetotalk View Post

It's all very subjective in that one persons best choice is another's worst.

I have a Whyte T-130 RS. You won't get one of those for £1000 but my point is that the bikes are well designed for the British environment. You could try a WHYTE 605 - above all it's a hard tail (don't consider a full suspension for that sort of money) and it's a good way to get into the sport if you are a newcomer.

It's all about balancing a well designed bike with decent enough components - push the boat out in one aspect and you will compromise in others. That will always be the way but is particularly a problem at the cheaper end of the market.

Just secured a Voodoo Wanga frame off a mate so going to be doing a build in the next few weeks. Not had a steel framed bike in a few years, hoping the more forgiving nature of steel will be better than my alloy Merlin frame which can be punishing on the rough stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Check out the Boardman range at Halfords
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...brand=Boardman

Boardman bikes are known for being better specced than many others for the price - all thanks to the buying power of Halfords.
    The Halfords brand does put some buyers off - but get past that and you'll get a better bike than you could on the high street.

I'd be thinking of something from their hybrid range - but bear in mind that hybrids do tend to be a compromise.
    Thanks I'll check out the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    It's all very subjective in that one persons best choice is another's worst.

I have a Whyte T-130 RS. You won't get one of those for £1000 but my point is that the bikes are well designed for the British environment. You could try a WHYTE 605 - above all it's a hard tail (don't consider a full suspension for that sort of money) and it's a good way to get into the sport if you are a newcomer.

It's all about balancing a well designed bike with decent enough components - push the boat out in one aspect and you will compromise in others. That will always be the way but is particularly a problem at the cheaper end of the market.
    Cheers I'll check them out.

Chris Froome 'rammed on purpose':

The Briton, who rides for Team Sky, posted a picture on Twitter of his damaged bike but said he was not hurt in the incident near his Monaco home.

"Just got rammed on purpose by an impatient driver who followed me onto the pavement!" the 31-year-old wrote.

"Thankfully I'm okay. Bike totalled. Driver kept going!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I'm picking my bike up from the local bike shop today where it's been in for a service/repair.
    I've not cycled since I was knocked off my bike nearly 6 years ago! I spent 3 weeks in hospital but the bike came off far better than I did.
    I honestly don't know if I've got the guts to actually get back on it, just the thought makes my queasy but in the 6 years there has been miles of bike lanes added around my area so I'm trying to convince myself that it's much safer now.
    I'll let you know how, or if, I get on.

Good luck - hope all goes well
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Good luck I hope you get the bug back.

Sorry but I chickened out! It's been well over a year and I tried again yesterday. I took the bike out of the shed, checked it over and saw the chain was off, I turned the bike upside down and pulled something in my back!
    I've been on the codine all day yesterday rather than on the bike. Someone somewhere is trying to tell me something...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a very bad accident just over 18 months ago, breaking quite a few bones. I'm absolutely fine psychologically as long as I stick to the public highway & steer well clear of cycle tracks & cycle lanes. The one time I tried riding on a cycle path I could see danger everywhere & got back onto the A4 as soon as possible.

Master
    Just took delivery of a Specialized Diverge carbon comp yesterday - was an impulse buy as liked the idea of a top quality road bike with decent off road capability and lots of comfort, Shimano hydros, 105, CG-R seatpost and my first carbon frame. Now wondering if it's too much bike for me and the Genesis Equilibrium I bought last year does the job well enough. Bikes are like watches it seems
    Looks like this:

But will look like this if I unwrap and assemble it!

Craftsman
    That's a very cool bike 👍🏻

Quick update as I've finally finished the new road bike. Taken a lot longer than I'd hoped, partly because of another arrival, but mainly because I had to wait for the eTap HRD to be released.

Can't wait to get out on it...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. Titanium frame & everything else black always looks good

Very nice. Titanium frame & everything else black always looks good
    I think I'm going to remove the white zipp decals for a more stealth look.

Got this back from Dario at Pegoretti a couple of weeks ago after a repair and new coat of paint, best handling/riding bike I have ever swung a leg over, frame is 12 years old but now looks like new (had a new fork too) so hopefully another decade of use out of it.
    It's now built up with campag Athena carbon/zipp finishing kit/HED ardennes wheels.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I think I'm going to remove the white zipp decals for a more stealth look.
    You could replace them with Black on Black ones
    http://www.wheelbuilder.com/zipp-decal-kit-2013.html

You could replace them with Black on Black ones
    http://www.wheelbuilder.com/zipp-decal-kit-2013.html
    Considered that but think I might just leave the small '303' decals.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Got this back from Dario at Pegoretti a couple of weeks ago after a repair and new coat of paint, best handling/riding bike I have ever swung a leg over, frame is 12 years old but now looks like new (had a new fork too) so hopefully another decade of use out of it.
    It's now built up with campag Athena carbon/zipp finishing kit/HED ardennes wheels.
    Lovely... I do like the panel scheme.

My carbon road bike met with a bit of a messy end a month or so back so I've been using my Pegoretti exclusively since then and each time I ride it, I love it more. Swapped the old Bora 50 tubs with new wider Bora 35 clinchers so I could run 25mm tyres on it that improved the ride significantly.

Which model is yours based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post

Which model is yours based on?
    its a Duende. was built in 2005 around the time he was still building with his brother before they had a falling a falling out so its a ‘Pegoretti’ not a ‘Dario Pegoretti’ a columbus spirit tube set but has a 29.6 seat post so seat tube and head tube are slightly smaller diameter than a current model and the head tube is not as oversize. i think the change was around 2012 to standard seat tube size (31.6) and bigger head-tube.
    i had a new Falz fork fitted and painted to replace the original reynolds ouzo fork.

on the stay it has the words 'Handmade in Italy St Albaldo 2017’ as he puts the saints day to show when it was built, or in my case the day it was repaired.

its a Duende. was built in 2005 around the time he was still building with his brother before they had a falling a falling out so its a ‘Pegoretti’ not a ‘Dario Pegoretti’ a columbus spirit tube set but has a 29.6 seat post so seat tube and head tube are slightly smaller diameter than a current model and the head tube is not as oversize. i think the change was around 2012 to standard seat tube size (31.6) and bigger head-tube.
    i had a new Falz fork fitted and painted to replace the original reynolds ouzo fork.

on the stay it has the words 'Handmade in Italy St Albaldo 2017’ as he puts the saints day to show when it was built, or in my case the day it was repaired.
    I did not know that... I wondered what the '/. Venanzio 2016' on my chainstay meant...

Master

That looks lovely , don't forget to post a fully built up shot.

Borrowing eldest sons BMX, never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post

Borrowing eldest sons BMX, never too old.
    Careful now. A friend of mine did that 3 years ago and next stop was the local hospital for a hip replacement, at the age of 50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    the bikes are well designed for the British environment.
    I can't help thinking that means they are completely covered in some kind of special mud repellent coating....

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Careful now. A friend of mine did that 3 years ago and next stop was the local hospital for a hip replacement, at the age of 50.
    Thanks for the good advice.

I still regularly ride a BMX.

In my work I unfortunately come across people who have had some very serious injuries that occurred sometimes doing very mundane every day stuff.

So I am careful but you got to live.

This might not be that extraordinary, but I may help someone out. I asked a little while ago where the cheapest place was to buy Conti GP4K ii tyres. I've just bought a pair from Ribble for £55 delivered using code WEL5. I think that's a general £5 off a fifty spend and isn't a referral. Happy riding.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

IMG_20170712_175135 by Chris Wood - Flickr2BBcode LITE

This is the 'final' (are they ever really finished??) iteration of my Mega TR.
    1x10 with Sunrace 11-42 and Superstar 32t oval n/w.
    Marzocchi 55CR 150mm forks
    Lizard Skins Peaty grips
    KS Southpaw dropper remote and KS eTen dropper.
    Nukeproof generator AM rims and hubs with On-one Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord tyres.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Thanks for the good advice.

I still regularly ride a BMX.

In my work I unfortunately come across people who have had some very serious injuries that occurred sometimes doing very mundane every day stuff.

So I am careful but you got to live.
    Good for you.
    I couldn't afford a proper bmx when I was a child but we used to make our own rat bikes out of bits and pieces and create makeshift jumps.
    I finally got one at 40 when my kids were young and had just started cycling. Still have a play on it at 50

Craftsman
    Hi,

Im looking to get in to mountain biking and will be popping to my local bike shop at the weekend to try out some machinery, after a bit of googling I have seen that the Voodoo Canzo and the Calibre Bossnut are well thought of.

Do any of you have a good sub £1000 bike that you would recommend?

Alex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alboy View Post
    Hi,

Im looking to get in to mountain biking and will be popping to my local bike shop at the weekend to try out some machinery, after a bit of googling I have seen that the Voodoo Canzo and the Calibre Bossnut are well thought of.

Do any of you have a good sub £1000 bike that you would recommend?

Alex
    I bought a Boardman Pro from Halfords a few years ago, it was on a flash sale and was around £650.
    It has performed well so far hauling my lump around.
    RRP on the current equivalent is £1k so can be had under your budget..

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...-bike-pro-29er

Craftsman
    Thank James, will check it out