closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,900 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Lovely spring morning

Perfect for a ride out on a vintage Raleigh, with a frankensteinish shimano / campag mix of running gear. Really does ride like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Perfect for a ride out on a vintage Raleigh, with a frankensteinish shimano / campag mix of running gear. Really does ride like a dream.

Is that an M-trax?

Master
    I used to have a Raleigh Routier 30 years ago. Often wonder how it would feel now, after years of riding more modern bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Agreed , but how many pop stars of a similar era were exactly the same. Didnt the Beatles write an entire album whilst being off their ti**s on LSD, and that was in the 60’s/ 70’s
    Hmmm, I think that pop & rock stars are generally expected to be off their faces on drugs. Professional sportsmen, less so. Especially the performance enhancing ‘additives’.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Is that an M-trax?
    Yes it is, great old bikes.

Cool. I bought an M-trax ti-4000 MTB (full XT, Pace RC35s) back in the 90s. Still have it, although nowadays it's a single speed pub bike.

Grand Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Decided after a couple of years gathering dust to recommission my hard tail for this summer. I used to use it for trail and xc but these days I'm only up for for pottering along the sea front or to the pub.

Self built and has some interesting parts, the frame was made from exotic scandium for the 2004 Athens Olympics, and weighs under 1.2kg in small size.

The entire bike weighs under 9kg.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Like the Black and Tan combo. Sore bum breaking in the Brooks?

My santa cruz superlight has seen better days, so when I say this Yeti on ebay for a bargain price of £150, I jumped on it.

The good news is that my rear shock from the SC fits the yeti. I'm unsure if all of the parts will fit, but I'm going to have fun tonight trying to swap as much over!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    ...so when I say this Yeti on ebay for a bargain price of £150, I jumped on it.
    Nice catch!

Master
    I’ve a 21” cube mountain bike that I rarely use as I find it too ‘cramped’ compared to my 54cm hybrid- the tap says there’s 2” difference between the bars and the back of the saddle - would a longer bar stem make much difference- it has a 90 on it right now
    Cube by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Only one way to find out and stems are cheap. Will probably change the handling a little bit, but doubt if it would be much of an issue day-to-day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Only one way to find out and stems are cheap. Will probably change the handling a little bit, but doubt if it would be much of an issue day-to-day.
    Thanks this is not an ‘off road ‘ bike and at 55 I won’t be hammering down any hills at 50mph

Grand Master
    Bit random but I have a spare set of 27.5 wheels!

They are Roval Boost with Nobby Nics on and lovely, or I could use them and sell my Enve AM Carbons with Chris King Hubs! So if anyone needs a set you know they are there
    RIAC

Apologies if this has already been covered on this thread, but can anyone recommend some web material regarding converting a bike to an e-bike. I have a Boardman hybrid.

Thanks.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Apologies if this has already been covered on this thread, but can anyone recommend some web material regarding converting a bike to an e-bike. I have a Boardman hybrid.

Thanks.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Some lads I ride with have used “Bafang” crank mounted motors with great success. They mimic the more expensive units and measure how much you put In and dish a proportion back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bafang+...s_ts-doa-p_2_5

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    My santa cruz superlight has seen better days, so when I say this Yeti on ebay for a bargain price of £150, I jumped on it.

The good news is that my rear shock from the SC fits the yeti. I'm unsure if all of the parts will fit, but I'm going to have fun tonight trying to swap as much over!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    That looks like a 575 frame, I have one from 2010, guy built it then stuck it in his lounge for 8/9 years. Mine is lovely and smooth, to say Im over biked is an understatement. The bike flattens rough sections , descends like a stone and climbs well with everything locked out.

Steve

Grand Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Just back from fun fizz on The Intense and now a Zwift before Hottubbing and San Miguel ice creams.

RIAC

Master
    New bike arrived, Orro Venturi STC. Just need to order some new deeper wheels which I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    New bike arrived, Orro Venturi STC. Just need to order some new deeper wheels which I prefer.
    Nice! Looks areo. Doing a triathlon or something?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Hi all, apologies again if this has been asked before on the thread. I'm an ex club road and mtb racer, it's been 11 years since my race, that sounds like a confession :-)

Anyway, I'm looking advice on pedals & shoes.

I'm now gravel bike with coffee stop. I used to ride Time pedals, as they offered plenty of float for my knee problems. But not recessed cleat.

What would the cadre recommend for gravel set up that would allow me to walk about freely? I'm on a student budget so nothing crazily priced.

I'm currently just using flat pedals with running shoes, as the fear of knee problems is a big risk for me.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Hi all, apologies again if this has been asked before on the thread. I'm an ex club road and mtb racer, it's been 11 years since my race, that sounds like a confession :-)

Anyway, I'm looking advice on pedals & shoes.

I'm now gravel bike with coffee stop. I used to ride Time pedals, as they offered plenty of float for my knee problems. But not recessed cleat.

What would the cadre recommend for gravel set up that would allow me to walk about freely? I'm on a student budget so nothing crazily priced.

I'm currently just using flat pedals with running shoes, as the fear of knee problems is a big risk for me.

Thanks in advance.
    Standard SPD with recessed cleats in the shoes. It’s a cheap and effective set up with plenty of float.

Pedals are £20 ish and the metal cleats last for ever.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-pd-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Master
    I switched from SPDs to Crank Bros Eggbeaters during lockdown, as I was getting a lot of knee pain from doing a lot of miles indoors. They have masses of float, and are tuneable with different cleats.
    The eggbeaters are great for me, although you do need a stiff shoe as they have a very small contact area.

Thanks Montello and MadeOfCheese..its very much appreciated.

I might look into the Eggbeater, as they seem to offer more float. I'm heart scared of blowing up my knees. Back in the day, I went through Look, SPD, and then finally onto Time pedals before I felt comfortable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Montello and MadeOfCheese..its very much appreciated.

I might look into the Eggbeater, as they seem to offer more float. I'm heart scared of blowing up my knees. Back in the day, I went through Look, SPD, and then finally onto Time pedals before I felt comfortable.
    Note SPDs are often confused with SPD-SLs. They are very different.
    Last edited by Montello; 29th May 2023 at 20:39.

I used to ride Time pedals, as they offered plenty of float for my knee problems. But not recessed cleat.
    Do you mean the time atac pedals? Confused as they certainly have a recessed two bolt cleat like spds and eggbeaters. My absolute go to pedal of choice due to the float and reliability. They're not cheap and the cleats do wear down a bit quicker than the competition but certainly worth the money in my opinion.

Eggbeaters will give you some float (not as much as ATACs) but have seen a lot of broken pedals over the years but maybe they've improved now? SPDs are great and have improved over the years but just don't offer the float.

Dunno if they are any good, but certainly the coolest option

https://discerningcyclist.com/adidas...ling-shoe-spd/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Nice! Looks areo. Doing a triathlon or something?

Doing the Lakesman again in a few weeks but as a team so just the cycling bit. It's aero but a very comfortable aero, not a full TT bike👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tore up the back of my achilles today when I slipped off the pedal.

They are like razors. For a few minutes I was seeing stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Do you mean the time atac pedals? Confused as they certainly have a recessed two bolt cleat like spds and eggbeaters. My absolute go to pedal of choice due to the float and reliability. They're not cheap and the cleats do wear down a bit quicker than the competition but certainly worth the money in my opinion.

Eggbeaters will give you some float (not as much as ATACs) but have seen a lot of broken pedals over the years but maybe they've improved now? SPDs are great and have improved over the years but just don't offer the float.
    Hi Dean,

Apologies for confusion, as I said earlier, it's been a long time since my last road race, 11 years ago as a 40 year old. Only returned to cycling during lockdown, and the technology has bounded onwards. And mostly riding my gravel bike, just a flat platform and trainers, as tentative on blowing knees up again.

These are the nearest to the time pedal and cleats I used to ride with. MTB, was spd set-up but always felt restricted with the float.

So thinking the eggbeater might be best. But open to other options, as back in the day, the Time pedals seemed to resolve the knee pain.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

No problems Gus. Impossible to keep up with the changes these days.

I highly recommend looking at the Time atac xc pedals. Lots of float (I'm running them at the full 17 degrees) and plenty of flavours depending on your budget.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...ac-xc4-review/

There's also a new model, speciale, which I've just bought a set of which have a small cage around them. Yet to try them out but probably a bit much for a gravel bike (using them in a trail bike and just wanted more foot support) though may be good for the occasional quick sneaker ride?

Gratuitous photo of the new bike (as I haven't bothered posting it here before) shod in time atac xc pedals. Took a while to come to terms with the lefty mentally but now 100% confident with it and performs so well. Absolute rocketship of a MTB. Photo is from the maiden voyage, now filthy, scratched and loaded with bottles/tools etc.

Last edited by Dean Learner; 30th May 2023 at 03:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Dunno if they are any good, but certainly the coolest option

https://discerningcyclist.com/adidas...ling-shoe-spd/

I have a pair of those. They’re great for jra stuff, commuting etc, but the fit is like a trainer so it’s not so fitted on the upper as a dedicated cycle shoe. Good sole though, and a great compromise for anything less than fully committed riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    No problems Gus. Impossible to keep up with the changes these days.

I highly recommend looking at the Time atac xc pedals. Lots of float (I'm running them at the full 17 degrees) and plenty of flavours depending on your budget.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...ac-xc4-review/
    Hi Dean,

Thank you very much for taking time out to provide the link. Think you have converted me to the ATAC, and being Time, which I used to have back in the day to help the knees, is comforting..

Ps.. love the lefty, way out out my budget, but I'm jealous, and also envious of your location :-)

Have a great weekend.

Happy to help guz, hope they work out for you.

Happy trails.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tour of Cambridgeshire today...1st place in Masters 60-64 Race :-)

Won what was left of the bunch sprint by several bike lengths.

World Champs in Glasgow here I come!

Grand Master
    Thankfully my MTB dropper post failed yesterday so have had a lovely rest day and realised how tired my legs really are. A trip to bike shop and a new IFP I reckon then back in the game
    RIAC

Master
    Well done ! you must be flying :)

Master
    Congratulations, great achievement.

Master
    Well done and congratulations

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

Congratulations, train smart and Godspeed at the worlds
    RIAC

Well done fella. No doubt a lot has gone into that victory. Respect!

Master

Amazing, very well done 👍

Master
    @trident-7 congratulations and can remember some of the timings/speeds you've previously posted so not surprised you won!

Excellent sir, well done !!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words chaps 👍

Well done trident, that’s epic. With a fairly recent hip or knee too??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Well done trident, that’s epic. With a fairly recent hip or knee too??
    Thanks buddy. Yes, total hip replacement in October 2021. Feels 100% in that hip now…better than my other 60 year old one!

Master
    Well done Trident, I was supposed to do the UCI 100 today but her indoors has had an op recently and whilst she let me do RL100 last weekend another weekend away wasn't going to work.

Shame because it's all been hard work since Covid but finally getting some form back, not in your league obviously but at least starting to go reasonably well again, just need to shed a couple of kg!

Can't wait to see how you do at Glasgow!