closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

So I know I'm new around these parts however I just got back from a quick loop on my XC bike and I thought I would start a thread for those of us of a cycling persuasion! Would be good to see other people's steeds.

Bit of a background, I got into cycling around age 14, all my part time jobs (3 or 4) were to fund my habit and its all I did for 3/4 years, I worked in a bike shop for most of that time too. I then found beer/women/cars went to Uni and drifted away from it, last year I gave up playing rugby and all of a sudden flung myself back into it head first, I got rather carried away and this is the result...

Firstly my custom built 2013 Ellsworth Evolution 29er, running Fox 34 Float CTDs, XTR 10 speed, Chris King hubs headset and bottom bracket, Thomson stem and seatpost, Easton Haven carbon bars and XTR trail brakes, Charge Ti Spoon, ZTR Flow rims.
    I mainly use this at trail centres etc, spent 3 days last week at Coed Y Brenin which was awesome!

Secondly my Lynskey Pro 29VF which I ordered most of the parts for the last time I was in Afghanistan, fitted with Fox F29 100 CTD, full 9 speed XTR including trail brakes, limited edition purple Chris King hubs, headset and bottom bracket, Easton carbon xc90 sl stem, Easton haven bars, Lynskey Ti seatpost, Charge Ti Knife saddle, ZTR Crest rims, it's my mega fast and light XC weapon.

Thirdly a pretty standard Giant Defy Advanced 2, full Ultegra, Selle Italia SLR saddle but fitted with rather nice Enve 45's on Chris King R45's with Sapim CX Ray spokes.

Banned
    Nothing fancy but we get around

Mine is definitely at the lower end of the scale but it gets me out and about. I love heading out early before the crowds have risen.

Nice and shiny when new, Voodoo Hoodoo

And used as it was designed

My custom Orange 224, the old girl is getting on a bit these days but I wouldn't chop her in for anything else as I just feel so comfortable on her. Plus I'm not racing every weekend anymore these days so she is good enough for what I do.

She is a 2007 model Orange 224 with fox 40 forks, fox DHX 5.0 shock with Ti spring. I'm running SRAM X0 rear mech and shifter with a close ratio 11-24 rear sprocket and a 36 tooth chain ring up front. I have Hope Moto brakes with ventilated disc brakes for riding in the alps and solid disc's for over here as they don't need to shift the heat so much.
    Hope head set, hope ceramic bottom bracket and hope hubs. I run a couple of sets of wheels, hope hubs mounted in halo combat rims as they are wide, strong and a little heavier than normal as they give good stability on big jumps and they shake off some real punishment on big gravity runs. I also run a set of hope hubs on Mavic ... (Can't remember which rims are on there.. Possible 217?) but they are lighter and faster for more pedaly courses. Race face bars, stem and cranks with a MRP chain derive to keep the chain on.

Here is a picture of a mate and I out in Morzine France, riding the other year.

And a little blast down the duel course at chicksands

I have a little Cona Cowan jump/4x bike and a Orange 5 for everything else. (No pictures at the moment sorry)

There is nothing better than going out with your mates for a blast on the bikes.......

Happy riding people :D

New to serious cycling but so far enjoying the journey.

Max distance per ride so far is 35 miles and i keep them to under 2hrs. Will be wanting gradually increase this and sample energy bars/gels etc to keep me going.

My Boardman Hybrid Pro with the only change being the pedals to Shimano 105 Spd SL clipless.

No pretty pics available but this should give you an idea...

From the back:
    Cannondale Six13 (carbon/alu) road bike with full ultegra 10spd
    Cannondale F4000 with full XTR
    Scott G-zero pro XT/XTR, hope discs and, temporarily, a carbon lefty
    1994 MTRAX Ti-4000 that is in the process of becoming my singlespeed

Hiding at the edge of shot is a Scott Strike (carbon version of the G-zero) frame which is being built up with a selection of parts cannibalised from the other bikes (lefty and XTR antway). Once this is completed the G-zero and F4000 will probably be seen on SC...
    Last edited by gunner; 23rd July 2013 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
    My custom Orange 224, the old girl is getting on a bit these days but I wouldn't chop her in for anything else as I just feel so comfortable on her. Plus I'm not racing every weekend anymore these days so she is good enough for what I do.

She is a 2007 model Orange 224 with fox 40 forks, fox DHX 5.0 shock with Ti spring. I'm running SRAM X0 rear mech and shifter with a close ratio 11-24 rear sprocket and a 36 tooth chain ring up front. I have Hope Moto brakes with ventilated disc brakes for riding in the alps and solid disc's for over here as they don't need to shift the heat so much.
    Hope head set, hope ceramic bottom bracket and hope hubs. I run a couple of sets of wheels, hope hubs mounted in halo combat rims as they are wide, strong and a little heavier than normal as they give good stability on big jumps and they shake off some real punishment on big gravity runs. I also run a set of hope hubs on Mavic ... (Can't remember which rims are on there.. Possible 217?) but they are lighter and faster for more pedaly courses. Race face bars, stem and cranks with a MRP chain derive to keep the chain on.

Here is a picture of a mate and I out in Morzine France, riding the other year.

And a little blast down the duel course at chicksands

I have a little Cona Cowan jump/4x bike and a Orange 5 for everything else. (No pictures at the moment sorry)

There is nothing better than going out with your mates for a blast on the bikes.......

Happy riding people :D
    Nice pic there, I would love to have a go at that. Have to put it on the bucket list lol

It's funny - my eyes told me this is a Bianchi because of the colour of the railings behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Nothing fancy but we get around

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It's funny - my eyes told me this is a Bianchi because of the colour of the railings behind it.
    I am sure it was the inspiration for this years Radioshack choice of colour on their Treks!

My new to me toy.

Loving it, though wish it could go faster:)

Regards.

Keith.

Just came back from riding to Paris with these! Mine is on the right.

Grand Master
    I can not enter into this thread as I am embarrassed by fleet
    RIAC

My trusty Kona HeiHei, 15yrs old now. From the depths of winter to the top of Alpe d'Huez. By the way, what are those telescopic contraptions that some of your bikes have?

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Great set of shots there! Looks like a perfect trip, great weather and the tour was in town!

This is mine after today's ride to work. A terrific bit of carbon loveliness at last years C2W limit. Planning to add a Alu cross bike this month as a winter trainer / commuter.

Dave

Sorry for a slight off-topic, but can anyone recommend somewhere to sell a decent MTB and a nice road bike, please?

Craftsman

Sadly, I don't have this anymore, but enjoy lots of weekends at Afan Argoed and on the Skyline Trail. I had a big off one on the Skyline, fortunately my landing was cushion by thick mud so nothing more serious than a few cuts and bruises. But ill health put paid to my cycling days, but I did love my Marin.

Blog Entries
    Bikeradar pinkbike and singletrackworld

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Bikeradar pinkbike and singletrackworld
    Thanks! Already up on pinkbike. I find bikeradar so hard to navigate though.

Here's my new bike. I had a Planet X carbon bike, but the frame cracked*, so I got one of these Canyon Ultimate CF SLX's from the outlet, and swapped the SRAM Force kit onto it. 7.1kg all in, and overall cost is fairly reasonable. The frame is astonishingly stiff compared to the Planet X pro carbon frame which has corresponded to around 2mph faster on the flat. I've been very surprised. The Campagnolo Zondas are probably the weak point, but I really like the look, and if I got rid of them I couldn't wear my Campy cardigan any more.

Now, my friend and I both have Canyons, which is a bit embarrassing when we're pootling round and round Regent's Park (if anyone sees this bike there, say hi).

Sorry for the very big, non-drive side, cranks at the wrong angle, valves in the wrong place photo!

p.s. I do have a pair of brand new Mavic Ksyrium Elites with Continental Supersports which came on the Canyon that I need rid of if anyone is interested (managed to get rid of all the 105 kit, I think) - these are better (lighter and stronger) than the Zondas by all accounts, but I'm not going to swap.

* that cracked last month (I guess they will replace it, but this was the perfect opportunity to buy the bike I should have bought in the first place) - and this past week my aluminium hybrid commuter was behaving very oddly, and on inspection I find that the down tube has pretty much snapped in two! Lifetime warranty on that, which is nice, but means I'm not on the bike going to work for a few weeks...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    ...Mavic Ksyrium Elites with Continental Supersports which came on the Canyon that I need rid of if anyone is interested - these are better (lighter and stronger) than the Zondas by all accounts...
    No idea where you heard that. Kysrium Elites don't hold a candle to Zondas in strength or quality. Zondas have Record hub internals and freehub. Proper cup and cone bearings.

Grand Master
    If anyone wants a single speed / fixie I am going to sell my Langster next week so first dibs to forum folk of course. Ill photo it tomorrow if I get time
    RIAC

My steeds, a Specialized Secteur and a Cannondale SL1.

My Trek

Craftsman
    Here are my two..

A limited edition (100) Grolsch branded cruiser for rides to the pub and around town...

And my weekend rocket, a 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex Team SL...

Following on from my Scott Strike build, something racier for my next effort...

Nearly finished anyway.

Bikes are great

A few of mine here.

Independent fabrications steel 29er in the foreground, which is the bike I spend most of time on.
    I live on the South Downs and singlespeed seems to suit me.
    Cyclocross bikes are way cool on bridleways, and my new specialized cruz is in the background ( recently built from bits off my Kona jake )
    Cotic hemlock for days where I need gears and suspension.
    Also got a Merckx corsa in Motorola colours with original 7400 dura ace
    Another Principia road bike
    And an old school Marin Eldridge grade I have just had resprayed - as this was my first proper bike
    Oh and a fixee I ride to work on..
    I would probably have loads more if i had the room.
    Bikes are cool, and relatively cheap compared to watches.
    I have done quite a bit mountain bike racing, mainly longer stuff, e.g. Transalp etc, and will always ride me bike if all is well.
    Keep riding everyone
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Following on from my Scott Strike build, something racier for my next effort...

Nearly finished anyway.
    Interesting to see a Scott with a Lefty, I thought they only fit Cannondales?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here's my Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 with Di2...

Eek - uploaded with Tapatalk and it's wrecked the picture with compression - will upload another one this evening :)

Loving the Indy Fab... Got my eye on something from them for my 40th in a couple of years.

My collection...
    On Road:

And off road:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just back from a quick spin before the wife wakes up... Thought this was quite fun...

Master
    Just getting ready to head out to Arundel market, hoping the paths aren't too muddy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    ...although the new tub is never as well glued on at the old one so it's worth taking it a bit more careful on the way home.
    Dunno about that. I think it depends on the original glue job, the spare's prep work and a bit of care and luck on the day. I changed out a rear on the road about six months ago. At the time I was feeling pretty chuffed for getting the spare on so straight (better than I've ever done at home, even with a truing/gluing stand) yet annoyed that I'd have to take it off when home and do it all over again and likely lose that nice straight setup. Yet, when arriving home and trying to peel off the spare (it was a new tyre and the same as what I took off) and then put a nice fresh layer of glue down, the damn thing was so well attached there was no need whatsoever to remove it. It's still on the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    This is in fact my third Fondriest.
    Heh. Join the club. My current three represent my third, fourth and fifth (though number one and two have gone). Maurizio has had a decent amount of positive influence on the company's offerings. He's useful for information, too. Personally answered all my queries when I was buying the NOS steel X-Status frame.

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    What do you mean by the "clear"?
    Clear coat. If the labelling is under a coating of clear 'lacquer' or polyurethane then you'll want to get that glossy finish back when you've removed the labels.

Master
    My Surly Disc Trucker:

Good all-rounder.

The Bob Jackson:

Since selling my Van Nicholas, I am missing a light road bike. Our bike-to-work scheme is calling to me, especially as you can get quite a lot for the ?£1k limit.

Master
    Just sorted a deal on this Sabbath Mondays Child frame and forks. Need to find some bits to bolt on to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    My Surly Disc Trucker:

Nice bikes, what is the rack on the Surly?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae View Post
    Yet, when arriving home and trying to peel off the spare (it was a new tyre and the same as what I took off) and then put a nice fresh layer of glue down, the damn thing was so well attached there was no need whatsoever to remove it. It's still on the wheel.
    I must have offended the puncture fairy as 5km from home yesterday I copped some glass in it. Rode home on the flat (rear) rather than change out so close to home (I was a bit shagged). Ability to ride flat is a nice feature of tubulars.

Banned
    I was changing a puncture too yesterday for one of the guys I was riding with. Amazed he still hasn't learned to do it himself so had to hop back a couple km to rescue him. Was on the tail end of the ride but still 60km from home so would've made no difference on tubs. Luckily clinchers are a quick and easy change.

No, IM Austria ( I am from Austria)

Grand Master
    Anyway enough of the chat and all the gear lets see some Strava stats!
    RIAC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Anyway enough of the chat and all the gear lets see some Strava stats!

I only have my main rides on Strava (most of the 'training' is done on the turbo indoors which I don't bother logging that to Strava), so have a copy of my training peaks Performance Log instead.

The red dots are the Training Stress Score each day, the blue ones the Intensity Factor and the lines show the acute and chronic training loads with the yellow line being the training balance.

Haven't totally got to grips with what to do with all of this data yet but I think the overall picture is that I need to work harder and stop having so many days off! If there is anyone out there who can decypher it, feel free!

If there is anyone out there who can decypher it, feel free!
    I think you need to join all the dots with a thick black marker and submit it for a Rorschach test.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I only have my main rides on Strava (most of the 'training' is done on the turbo indoors which I don't bother logging that to Strava), so have a copy of my training peaks Performance Log instead.

The red dots are the Training Stress Score each day, the blue ones the Intensity Factor and the lines show the acute and chronic training loads with the yellow line being the training balance.

Haven't totally got to grips with what to do with all of this data yet but I think the overall picture is that I need to work harder and stop having so many days off! If there is anyone out there who can decypher it, feel free!

I'm not sure but I think I can see a red-eyed whale poking its head above the waves somewhere in the middle.

Craftsman
    The summer bike has been out for a while.

Think I'm going to get the winter one back out though looking at the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Think I'm going to get the winter one back out though looking at the weather.
    I'd be keeping it in the shed if I were you.

No way could I be seen out on a bike without matching valve stems.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I'd be keeping it in the shed if I were you.

No way could I be seen out on a bike without matching valve stems.
    and to compound the sin, the blighter keeps the dust caps on!

Grand Master
    The devils in the detail

RIAC

Blog Entries
    The devils in the detail.
    Sure is! That and my terrible photos!

Master
    Kerry, I use a lizard skin sticker on my (carbon road bike) chainstay - I see you have something more substantial there. The chainstays on mine are somewhat funnily shaped - does the protector in yours mould to the shape of the stay?