closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1970 FA Cup final - the most brutal game in English football history

Master
    Blog Entries

1970 FA Cup final - the most brutal game in English football history

At least that's what this BBC item about the Leeds/Chelsea battle is titled

I haven't had much interest in the game since I left school a few years after this final and it's certainly how I remember football being played but there were far too many career ending tackles in those days.

There was one yellow card during the game - in 2020 a ref judged there would be 11 red cards by current rules!

The video comes with a warning that viewer discretion may be advised...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

Master
    I heard Ian Dennis mention that during the 5 Live commentary earlier, but what really bothers me is that I remember watching that game live on the telly, and it's 54 years ago.
    Last edited by monogroover; 29th February 2024 at 15:46.

I watched it on TV at the time and it was indeed ferocious. I can remember Jack Charlton chinning a Chelsea player and getting away with it.

Different times - no play acting then.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What an absolute disgrace that was. We’ve come a long way since then, thank goodness.

Proper total commitment football, it was the FA cup final after all...although that boot at head height challenge could've been nasty. Refreshing not to see the cheating, play acting and trick tumbling about of the modern game.

Thanks for putting up the link OP.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th February 2024 at 15:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Proper total commitment football, it was the FA cup final after all...although that boot at head height challenge could've been nasty. Refreshing not to see the cheating, play acting and trick tumbling about of the modern game.

Thanks for putting up the link OP.
    I didn't like the general disregard for other players when the outcome could be career ending, but what puts me off watching football nowadays is the pathetic diving and pretending they're hurt after the mildest of contact - they should be sent off for cheating much more often.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I heard Ian Dennis mention that during the 5 Live commentary earlier, but what really bothers me is that I remember watching that game live on the telly, and it's 54 years ago.

I can't remember the game exactly but definitely watched it because my Mum always made a Vesta curry for me and my mates before the FA Cup Finals as we watched on TV (too young for the pub then - just!)

As an aside, my Mum was a very good cook but a Vesta curry was a seemingly exotic treat in the 60s and 70s https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/...8-e6013cb3fc84

Chopper introduces himself to Stan Bowles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When men were men and sheep ran scared.
    Not like the overpaid Oscar winning performances of todays so called professional footballers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I was about 10 I used to run errands for Mick Bates granddad who was the Leeds Sub in that game I remember talking to Mick a couple of years after that game, he said he was not looking forward to going on, can’t remember if he did or not. He later played for Walsall where is Grandad lived