closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 58 of 84 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,900 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    100km in the afternoon sun with just one water bottle! Hello Summer Miles

Did the same thing myself yesterday, first 89 of 104 miles on a single bidon. I stopped at Burton on the Wolds for more liquids 15 miles from home. Lovely run out. But I wish I'd applied a bit of sunscreen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ow ... don’t mess with the sun, having had skin cancer cut out I don’t recommend it.

100km in the afternoon sun with just one water bottle! Hello Summer Miles

Sick bike.

Sun's out Cervelo's out

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Sick bike.
    Thanks Man. Its taken center stage for summer. Just miles, smiles, hills and thrills
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Wow. That’s a nice TT

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Sick bike.
    What makes it so poorly?

Craftsman

Really wish I could get out more. Struggling to do 1 ride a week at the min with work/kids/etc!

Does anyone use power meter pedals? Love the idea of them but struggling to justify the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone use power meter pedals? Love the idea of them but struggling to justify the cost
    i struggle to see why people buy these unless they are training to race or have a coach.
    a HRM is a great tool and cheap.
    what exactly will you do with the data?

Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post

Really wish I could get out more. Struggling to do 1 ride a week at the min with work/kids/etc!

I’m a sucker for black bikes with tan walled tyres. What is the make of bike?

Grand Master

I have a power meter and indeed have had a few. I use it to gauge the intensity of a workout accurately and also to stretch myself to improve. It motivates me to achieve a target figure like a coach shouting at me to push harder / longer.

That said you don’t need one really it’s just a nice to have. When I ride the likes of Alpe Du Zwift I know my FTP is 285 so I can ride at 5% over that and know I’ll be on the limit or maybe set a new FTP.

When you use a power meter know what to do with the data. Arguably the indoor Zwift/wahoo is easier to manage than road with traffic lights and traffic etc but still useful. The book ‘Fit Over 50’ and Rob Sleamakers amazing ‘Serious Training For Serious Athletes’ are both superb reads if you need more structure and want to train smart
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 2nd June 2021 at 15:57.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i struggle to see why people buy these unless they are training to race or have a coach.
    I’m a sucker for data and beating personal bests. Nothing more really. I already use a HR monitor but things like rest, over training, alcohol etc can have an affect

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I’m a sucker for black bikes with tan walled tyres. What is the make of bike?
    Thanks, it’s a 2020 BMC teammachine SLR01…top frame but lower end components as far as the other SLR01 models go. I wouldn’t mind changing the black BMC decals to gold ones but not sure they’d stay in place properly

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Wow. That’s a nice TT

Thanks it's well past it's prime but occasionally puts in a good time, much like it's rider.

HRM have 'lag" and whilst they will allow you to gauge effort they do not have the accuracy of a PRM, try doing 1 min on 1 minute off for 30 minutes using a HRM, you'll soon lose the ability to track the interval effort and the rest recovery and thus lose the effectiveness of trg. I use pedal based (Garmin) PRM's and I have done for about three years. They, along with structured trg and indoor power based interval trg, have meant that I have improved my FTP by 40% over that three year period which means I can go further for similar effort and I am faster in the few races I enter.

But of course it's horses for courses and as others have said without the knowledge of how to use the data or structured trg to go along with that knowledge they are simply the world's most expensive pedals.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Power is really useful.

Very easy to massively over cook the effort on the hard bits.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought my first pair of bib shorts this week, Castelli Unlimited. Having never bought cycling shorts before I did a lot of reading/reviews as I wanted to get the size correct, In not a massive chap, 5’11” and 13.5st and was advised to go XXL and they are perfect for me. Trouble is as the cycling continues I’m sure the weight will drop and I will need another pair in the note to distant future, hopefully.

What a revelation, so much more comfortable. I don't know why I never bought some a long time ago.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    I shudder to think what size I'd need if 13.5 stone is an XXL

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I shudder to think what size I'd need if 13.5 stone is an XXL
    I found this out the hard way. Bad enough buying XXL but it's even worse going back to see what the biggest size is and wondering if that would even fit you!

Grand Master
    Castelli are made for tiny little Italian fellas, Personally I’d get Entry Level Rapha, Specialized Pro, or Assos Bibshorts as they just last. I spend 12-16hrs a week in the saddle so think its a fair recommendation.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Bought my first pair of bib shorts this week, Castelli Unlimited. Having never bought cycling shorts before I did a lot of reading/reviews as I wanted to get the size correct, In not a massive chap, 5’11” and 13.5st and was advised to go XXL and they are perfect for me. Trouble is as the cycling continues I’m sure the weight will drop and I will need another pair in the note to distant future, hopefully.

What a revelation, so much more comfortable. I don't know why I never bought some a long time ago.
    Rapha do a down size offer. If you lose weight and want the size below they will swap it free of charge. Haven’t read all the T&Cs about it but it seemed good. Think it was jerseys only but could be wrong

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Rapha do a down size offer. If you lose weight and want the size below they will swap it free of charge. Haven’t read all the T&Cs about it but it seemed good. Think it was jerseys only but could be wrong
    Or, if you are just starting out in the sport, buy a pair of these for a tenner. Cheap enough that you can chuck them if the don’t fit at a later date. Very good reviews and I have a pair and don’t get a sore arse even if I’m out for 6 hours. They do what they say on the tin without costing a fortune. I’m sure the more experienced mamils would turn their nose up.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-...l/_/R-p-306701

Edit - link only defaults to the home page. You have to then put Triban Shorts into the decathlon home page search bar to get the product.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 3rd June 2021 at 18:27.

A lovely 45miles this morning. Amazing what a nice sunny day can do to your mood!!

(Apologies for the chain being in the two big rings, I know it irks some people!!!)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    A lovely 45miles this morning. Amazing what a nice sunny day can do to your mood!!

(Apologies for the chain being in the two big rings, I know it irks some people!!!)

Everyone knows Red is the fastest colour.
    RIAC

Everyone knows Red is the fastest colour.
    Definitely was today!

PS Kerry, very happy with the bike!!!

Grand Master
    Lovely ride the Tarmac. Always has been and always will be albeit the SL7 isnt any better than the 6 like the SL5 wasn’t much on the SL4.

I still ride an SL4 and love it. 10 years old and just like the first ride everytime.
    RIAC

Got out on the Colnago today

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    Snap! I bought this in June 2005, now in it's 17th season. Still feels fast.

Grand Master
    Question for the Di2 Users

Manual, Semi, or Synchro?
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Spin out to Southwold for me today, only fell off the once 🤣🤣

Pitch

Master
    Spin out to Southwold for me today, only fell off the once 藍藍

Pitch
    Bad luck, at least not expensive side down by the look of it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Bad luck, at least not expensive side down by the look of it!
    Cheers fella, no, just the novice being cocky. Thankfully the bike didn’t touch the ground or my threads. I did pause Strava though.

Pitch

Spin out to Southwold for me today, only fell off the once 藍藍

Pitch

It's been a while since I took a tumble, broke a rib or too as well for good measure . . .

F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Arrrrrrrrrhhhhhh.. flippin heck that looks painful.

My only three have been unclipping issues.

Pitch

Grand Master

Summer Here
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries

Manual.

Master
    Blog Entries

Manual

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Our new family member has arrived!

It’s a Butchers & Bicycles Mk1-e, I suppose it’s the Dutch equivalent of the Volvo Estate.

Getting lots of envious looks from the Dutch mums whose daily whip is an Urban Arrow for the school run!

( If they were in Islington they’d all be driving Range Rover Evoques or Audi Q7s).
    Last edited by robcuk; 6th June 2021 at 19:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

That’s a super cool helmet! Was tempted to get the POC copy of it

Master
    First TT of the year:

Not bad for an old git on a road bike! Took 50 seconds off my PB and laid down a marker for the season I suspect I'll struggle to beat on the same equipment...

The 45k ride home was less good though...

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

That position looks a lot more dialled in than mine will ever be.

- - - Updated - - -

Manual for me, tried the synchro and the semi first but reverted to manual in the end.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Our new family member has arrived!

It’s a Butchers & Bicycles Mk1-e, I suppose it’s the Dutch equivalent of the Volvo Estate.

Getting lots of envious looks from the Dutch mums whose daily whip is an Urban Arrow for the school run!

( If they were in Islington they’d all be driving Range Rover Evoques or Audi Q7s).
    That is a great bit of kit from Copenhagen. Should have the great tilt mechanism and along with the e will be a great ride.
    I was in CPH for a few years so very much got into the cargo bikes. Still have a Bullitt !!

I've got a serious bike itch at the moment and looking for some wisdom from the TZ hive mind.

I'm relatively new to cycling having bought my first road bike in 2018 (Evans own brand Pinnacle with Sora drivetrain) and having only done around 2,500km on it. Since the lockdown I've stepped up on my cycling significantly. Most of the cycling that I do have been to do some cardio after work or on the weekends. From time to time I do longer day trips and have a go at the Lee Valley road circuit.

In the future I do want to do more day trips, bikepacking and try some sportives. I'm also looking to cycle more into work when I go back into the office more regularly.

Should I:
    1) Keep my current bike. After all I haven't done that many miles on it and it's still decent. If I do, I would upgrade the tyres and get it serviced.

2) Sell my current bike and get an upgrade. It would scratch the itch and encourage me to ride more.
    Budget is around £1,300. Preference is rim brake or mechanical disc due to easier and cheaper maintenance. Sub-9kg. 28c tyres. 105 drivetrain or equivalent.
    Options are:
    - Specialized Allez Elite (105, rim brakes) - great reviews, would change the tyres to 28c
    - Giant Contend SL 1 (105, rim brakes)- heaviest of the lot, option to go up to 30c tyres
    - Sonder Colibri Rival22 Mechanical (SRAM Rival, mechanical disc brakes) - carbon frame, lightest, 32c tyres, I always wanted to try SRAM drivetrain

Currently they are all priced at £1,249.

Thanks in advance

I would save a bit more or maybe buy a model where the manufacturer has a decent frame then put 105/rival on it to hit a price point, the wheels we be heavy and cheap but you can upgrade when funds allow.

See if work will do a bike to work scheme? The green commute initiative is good as you can use smaller shops rather than be stuck with the likes of Evans and their dodgy employment practices.

I would save a bit more or maybe buy a model where the manufacturer has a decent frame then put 105/rival on it to hit a price point, the wheels we be heavy and cheap but you can upgrade when funds allow.

See if work will do a bike to work scheme? The green commute initiative is good as you can use smaller shops rather than be stuck with the likes of Evans and their dodgy employment practices.
    Thanks, I'm not really sure what to go for if I increase the budget. I was thinking that another advantage of rim brakes and 11-speed cassette is that it's also going to be easier to upgrade the wheels down the line.

If I get a new bike I'll probably stick to the £1300 budget and not go much further. I always have my bike insured but living in London and having had 2 bikes stolen I don't really want to spend too much. Although I am aware that I'm speaking in a forum where more expensive watches are common

The bike to work scheme is available from work but it seems to limit the options. I'm happy to pay upfront at reputable shops or take a 0% finance option.

Master
    Blog Entries
    New old bike day, 11 speed campag, reissued Cinelli bars and stem. Harry Rowland wheels.

being emotionally strong

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Thanks, I'm not really sure what to go for if I increase the budget. I was thinking that another advantage of rim brakes and 11-speed cassette is that it's also going to be easier to upgrade the wheels down the line.

If I get a new bike I'll probably stick to the £1300 budget and not go much further. I always have my bike insured but living in London and having had 2 bikes stolen I don't really want to spend too much. Although I am aware that I'm speaking in a forum where more expensive watches are common

The bike to work scheme is available from work but it seems to limit the options. I'm happy to pay upfront at reputable shops or take a 0% finance option.

Can’t see how rim is easier to upgrade than disk, if anything you will be having new rims at some point.

I can count on one hand the times I have locked a bike up in London in 20 years, I would get a rattle canned beater bike if i was going to lock up regularly.

We have just convinced my Mrs’s work to swap from Evans to green initiative schemes, took the angle that the owner Mike Ashley having sacked half the staff and put the remainder on zero hours didn’t really align with the company’s ethics, that and being able to support locally owned and run LBS.
    Much more choice and a big saving on RRP.

Love the Pinarello, just did 50k at lunchtime on my Pegoretti, first ride on it this summer and I’m still blown away by the ride quality and handling after 15 years of ownership, better than any carbon bike I have thrown a leg over.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the Pinarello, just did 50k at lunchtime on my Pegoretti, first ride on it this summer and I’m still blown away by the ride quality and handling after 15 years of ownership, better than any carbon bike I have thrown a leg over.
    Cheers, managed 19.3mph average for 40 Miles so it’s plenty capable

Can’t see how rim is easier to upgrade than disk, if anything you will be having new rims at some point.

I can count on one hand the times I have locked a bike up in London in 20 years, I would get a rattle canned beater bike if i was going to lock up regularly.

We have just convinced my Mrs’s work to swap from Evans to green initiative schemes, took the angle that the owner Mike Ashley having sacked half the staff and put the remainder on zero hours didn’t really align with the company’s ethics, that and being able to support locally owned and run LBS.
    Much more choice and a big saving on RRP.
    I don’t like Mike Ashley as much as the next person but I bought my current bike from Evans back before they were bought by Sports Direct. Arguably back then they were a much better company and I agree that they have deteriorated since.

I just wanted a bit of advice from people who are more knowledgeable than me if 1) I should keep my bike or 2) which bike they think would be a good upgrade if I sell my current bike.

You’ve suggested none and also questioned my past decision.

Where I bought my current bike, when and where I lock it, and how I’m going to pay for a new bike is my own business.

I’ll take my question elsewhere or figure it out myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk