closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 46 of 84 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    I implore you to try Etxeondo Orhi bibs Montello. They kick the pants off Castelli just in quality. Fit is personal I know, but I've had Castelli, Assos as well as several others and Etxeondo are a clear winner here for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I’m sure the gear is good but the marketing package that goes with it is not for me or my riding buddies.

Most guys I know ride in club gear or a mix of other stuff Castelli is popular. I’m a big fan of the Assos shorts but I think I’m on my last ones now as they don’t last very well as they Lycra goes see through so I’m going to give some Castelli ones a go. I’ve also got some BioRacer gear which seems pretty good.
    Castelli is the most poseur kit out there. Friend of mine is about 12 stone, 5'9", wears a medium in normal t-shirts. Had to buy XXL in a Castelli jersey. Ridiculous.

Master
    I have a fair bit of Castelli kit, a bit of a mixed bag in terms of quality e.g. I have a pair of bib shorts whose logo wore off within a few months. Castelli sizing is notoriously out of whack.

I also have a fair bit of Rapha gear, it's all uniformly high quality, I have no interest in image or marketing or anything like that but the gear is top notch. Pricy though, wait for the sales or if you can get to an outlet store worth a look.

That said my go to winter jersey is my Castelli Perfetto which is excellent quality, provides warmth, is windproof (very important) and reasonably rain resistant.

Obviously in winter it's about layering so on the coldest days I usually have something like my Endura baabaa merino base layer, the Perfetto and a Rapha Brevet thermal gilet.

My favourite winter tights are my Sportful Fiandre norain tights which are warm and surprisingly water resistant. A couple of years ago I did a CX sportive that took about 4 hours, it hammered it down most of the time and was about 5 degrees but they kept me warm and dry. I also have a pair of Rapha winter tights that don't have a pad that are good on longer rides as I can wear my most comfy shorts underneath - not that the Sportful tights aren't comfortable.

If it's absolutely freezing and I'm not going to be working that hard I have a Rapha winter jacket that my wife bought me with a fleecy lining which does a great job of keeping the cold out.

What I really suffer from is cold feet, I have experimented with various combinations of recommendations and have finally settled on wearing a pair of normal thin socks, adding some Decathlon foot warmers, then a pair of Rapha deep winter socks, then Northwave winter shoes, then some Lusso overshoes. Also on really cold days I add some knee warmers under my tights on the basis that keeping the blood flowing into your feet vaguely warm might help!

For gloves I have the Rapha deep winter gloves, which are excellent, never have cold hands.

I hate being cold!
    Last edited by SimonH; 6th November 2020 at 10:35. Reason: Northwave not North west!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t have any brand loyalty on kit so have a mixed bag of club kit, Castelli, assos, BioRacer, sportful, nopinz and probably some others.

For feet I’ve found the Northwave winter boots to be much better than any combo of socks, shoes and overshoes. On a really rainy day I have a small gaiter that seals the tops to stop them filling up.
    Last edited by Montello; 6th November 2020 at 09:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Delete double post

Master
    Northwave winter boots are superb. I’ve just sold my Celsius GTX and picked up a pair of Himalayas as I mainly ride with flat pedals nowadays. There are so comfortable and warm whatever the weather.

I’ve no particular brand loyalty either and have a mix of Endura, Rapha, Castelli, Ale and Morvelo/Overland kit. My Castelli winter bibs are probably the most comfortable and I do love Rapha winter jerseys too. And my other favourite piece of winter kit is my Dirtsuit. Questionable looks but functionally brilliant.

Last edited by benny.c; 6th November 2020 at 10:04.

I also don't really bother at all these days with kit. On a shorter weekend ride I could be wearing joggers, shimano mtb shoes, jersey top (for the pockets), a high-viz rainproof jacket and mechanix gloves Zero fashion sense but high visibility. What's important is I get a decent ride while staying warm.

Might have to look into that dirtsuit above.

Master
    It’s brilliant, honestly. Wear what you want underneath and just hose it down at the end of a ride if you get really filthy.

Master
    The Rapha stuff is decent IMO - I have a few bits including bibs, base layers, jersey etc and recently got a core winter jacket in black. What I like about it is that it is all black including the logo. Very simple and understated.

Castelli is also good and make sure you check out Gore, the C5 bibs are decent and the zip off jacket works really well for when you warm up.

Anything decent for riding is expensive, its’ just part and parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead View Post
    What I like about it is that it is all black including the logo. Very simple and understated.
    I've never understood why cyclists love to wear all black. I always try dress as loud as possible.

Master
    Black’s very slimming when you don’t have a pro peloton physique but want to wear Lycra ;-)

I might have to try find a vantablack jersey then :(

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've never understood why cyclists love to wear all black. I always try dress as loud as possible.
    Me too, my winter jacket is bright orange.

I do have a few black items but not through choice.

I also run lights all the time. Amazes me that I often don’t see riders coming towards me in low light situations and they are riding in all black with no lights.

Master
    Yeah, lights are the key thing. They’re so cheap, convenient and compact nowadays that there’s no excuse for not using them.

I might have to try find a vantablack jersey then :(
    Keep riding and you’ll soon be slim enough to be a FPKW :-D
    Last edited by benny.c; 7th November 2020 at 20:01.

Grand Master
    Im only wearing black till they make a darker colour!

On a serious note I dont want to look like ive escaped from a 1980’s ski slope so all black with bright helmet, contrast gloves and shoes is my approach.

I do a couple of miles a year and havent had any problems to date
    RIAC

Master
    I'm sometimes tempted to do a bit of impromptu bike cleaning or perform some other low-level bike maintenance while I'm in the garage wearing cycling gear, usually just after a ride. Dark grey and black are a lot more forgiving. I ruined a yellow cycling jersey a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    It is good gear, if you can justify it which means miles in all weathers or money on the finest of days. Ive got a wardrobe full of it as along with Assos and Specialized Pro I think it’s fit, form and function are superb. Luckily I have the beard and tattoos and live in Surrey so can masquerade alongside the strokers without being noticed as an actual higher mileage and lifelong cyclist, they assume I’m one of them.
    😁

In spring I bought some Rapha Cargo bibs. I cannot remember the name of the model, but I bought the more expensive ones. Technically they are cracking. Pad fits me right, compression around the thighs is just right and the shoulder straps fit nicely. I liked them so much that I bought a second pair. Both pairs faded very quickly around the crotch and look old now. They have probably only done about a 1000mi each, but the fading started being obvious around 200mi. But they do the job though and I love the flexibility that the extra pockets give.

A couple of weeks ago (so post/pre lockdown) I went to the shop in Spitalfields to look at the bib tights. I liked the tights but seeing the Rapha Full Club Kit... errr.. Members sitting outside sipping lattes put me off a bit. I’m not too sure about the ‘Lifestyle’ marketing stuff they send me either.

The following Sunday I went out on the road for the first time this year. For convenience /Lockdown reasons the previous 3500mi for this year have all been off road. on that ride the roads around Kent seemed to be awash with Rapha kitted cyclists. It was like a bloomin uniform!

I guess that I am exhibiting some reverse snobbery or some such, but I don't want to be part of their gang! I reckon I might be able to avoid affiliation by just getting the bib tights and not the full Jersey/Gloves/Socks/Cap/ Lip Balm combo 😉

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Black’s very slimming when you don’t have a pro peloton physique but want to wear Lycra ;-)

This!!!

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Seen a guy the other day, foggy conditions, wearing all black and went through 3 red lights, then I lost him - I’m weird like that - I stop at red lights.

In regards to gear, Rapha used to be great, these days it’s a bit hit and miss. I’ve got some of their early jerseys made in Europe and they are still going strong after 5-6 years of riding. Their more expensive jackets are fantastic, I have one for like 3 years now and it still works great. I haven’t bought anything from Rapha for a couple of years already since they’re owned by Walmart. Castelli is decent, but not long lasting in my experience - their more expensive jackets are fantastic I think, had an Alpha for quite a few winters and it looked almost new still. Their Gabba Jersey/jackets were awesome. They also make my favourite knee warmers - the nano flex things. Assos is cool, but I could never justify their top range stuff, only use their bibs, seem to last quite a while. I also have ALE bibs and they’re great so far.
    In my experience, it’s better to pay a bit more if you ride more than average, because the stuff just lasts longer. I had Morvelo, dhb (older stuff), Castelli bibs that the pad literally deteriorated after a couple of months. Older, Made in Italy Rapha bibs are still going strong after 4 years rain or shine! Fair enough the white logo is almost gone but they work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I must be a bit weird as no way am I spending £2-300 on a pair of bib shorts.

I’m fairly new to road/gravel riding, so most of my stuff is the same gear as I wear on the MTBs, including the same pair of Shimano SPD shoes, with some waterprooof socks if required.

Planet X and Amazon supply stuff like bib tights, leg and arm warmers, gloves and a retroflective jacket and gilet for me. I get the buy cheap, buy twice thing, but I could buy over 10 pairs of bib tights for the equivalent of some of those branded ones.

I’ve always been a wear what I like and get out there rider, and generally speaking the crappier and muddier lthe weather the better I like it, so decent stuff would just get ruined the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I must be a bit weird as no way am I spending £2-300 on a pair of bib shorts.

I’m fairly new to road/gravel riding, so most of my stuff is the same gear as I wear on the MTBs, including the same pair of Shimano SPD shoes, with some waterprooof socks if required.

Planet X and Amazon supply stuff like bib tights, leg and arm warmers, gloves and a retroflective jacket and gilet for me. I get the buy cheap, buy twice thing, but I could buy over 10 pairs of bib tights for the equivalent of some of those branded ones.

I’ve always been a wear what I like and get out there rider, and generally speaking the crappier and muddier lthe weather the better I like it, so decent stuff would just get ruined the same.
    Same here. I've only got 2 bib shorts and both are from Planet X. I've got a couple of second hand jerseys, 1 amazon and only 1 DHB bought new.
    However all of them have served me well. I get some stares from proper roadies wearing full kit but hey this works for me as a recreational cyclist.

What's DBH kit like? I have soms friends wanting to cycle on the weekends once or twice before Christmas and I don't think going out in my gym shorts and top will work out well. Don't really want to pay top whack to go out for two or three winter rides.

Master
    It is excellent for the money

Thanks, will have a look at some stuff later then

Grand Master
    Have to chuckle at people dripping about paying £200 for shorts or £300 for a jacket and not seeing it as value having spent £5-10k on a steel watch!

My old specialized pro shorts are 10+ years old the elastic is almost zero but they do the job along with 9-10 other pairs of assos and Rapha that just get rotated through the washing machine. Theres always 3-4 pairs washing or drying.
    RIAC

Master
    I think you just have to go with what fits you. Most important to me is the fit and placing of the pad.
    I’ve tried rapha, assos, Le col, mavic etc and sent them all back.
    Endura fits me. The FS Pro 260 bibs are great value, but the Pro SL bibs are perfect. Fabric is really comfy, pad is in the right place, doesn’t feel like I’m wearing a nappy. I’ve given up looking for an alternative, ill just buy more as and when needed.

Master
    100%

I've had shorts which caused me to bleed (Shutt VR and Endura FS260). For others, these will be the most comfortable things ever made.

Master
    Have to chuckle at people dripping about paying £200 for shorts or £300 for a jacket and not seeing it as value having spent £5-10k on a steel watch!

My old specialized pro shorts are 10+ years old the elastic is almost zero but they do the job along with 9-10 other pairs of assos and Rapha that just get rotated through the washing machine. Theres always 3-4 pairs washing or drying.
    If it makes you feel any better, I have never spent £5-10k on a steel watch either! ;o)

Cycling clothes are not immune to the law of diminishing returns, as lovely as some of the guys I see when out and about look.

I do have a 20+ year old pair of cycling shorts, branded Nalini, surprised to see they still sell stuff! They’re still going strong despite weekly use, can’t remember how much I paid for them but they wouldn’t have been expensive.

Grand Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I have never spent £5-10k on a steel watch either! ;o)

Cycling clothes are not immune to the law of diminishing returns, as lovely as some of the guys I see when out and about look.

I do have a 20+ year old pair of cycling shorts, branded Nalini, surprised to see they still sell stuff! They’re still going strong despite weekly use, can’t remember how much I paid for them but they wouldn’t have been expensive.

Nalini. Legendary brand, remember them from the 90’s

Will be organising a Zwift TZ group ride soon
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 10th November 2020 at 16:22.
    RIAC

Master
    What's DBH kit like? I have soms friends wanting to cycle on the weekends once or twice before Christmas and I don't think going out in my gym shorts and top will work out well. Don't really want to pay top whack to go out for two or three winter rides.
    I think you mean DHB , and its OK the staple of Chain reaction and Wiggle

Steve

It's not just that though - there are folks riding round on £3-5k bikes moaning about paying £47/year for Strava or £14 for some chamois cream.

Master
    That would be me as far as Strava Premium is concerned. It just seems a bit too much.

I don't use chamois cream though.

Master
    I’m currently baulking at £12.99 a month for Zwift. Especially as last time I subscribed (which was only two years ago) it was £8.
    Sufferfest cost me £86 for a whole year.

(But then I bought a gravel bike on sale and I’m building a road bike from scratch, so I don’t exactly fall into the aforementioned category)

Annoys me paying £12.99 for zwift but I do, when you can get a pure gym membership for £29.99 it’s expensive !

Master
    I happily pay for Zwift, Sufferfest and Strava. Given my ability to waste far more than those costs a month in minutes spent on eBay or Amazon, it's not a problem.

On the subject of Strava, I paid for it before Premium on the basis that it's an excellent service and I felt I was happy to contribute a few pounds a month. I saw an interview with the CEO last year when they introduced Premium, and at the point they were still operating at a loss so I think the shift to Premium by taking away some features from the free service had to be done. Bear in mind they have chosen not to spam the site with adverts (well some of the challenges are covert adverts but you know what I mean), so personally I am personally more than happy to pay a small amount for the service.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I pay for Zwift, Strava and chamois cream ... better spend than faggs and beer.

I'm a lot more old school I guess. I don't pay for Zwift nor Strava but then I have a £500 road bike and my turbo trainer is knackered I just go out and be miserable in the rain and/or dark.

Before lockdown the idea for me was to spend more time in the gym over winter. Do a winter bulk through weights and summer cut through more cardio but that's gone down the drain now. Haven't been to the gym since March. Although I've cycled more this summer than over the rest of my life combined.

Master
    I don’t begrudge paying for these things per se, it’s just that my exercise time is pretty much filled by Sufferfest. I just fancied adding Zwift for a bit of variety but not as a major occupation (which is why I stopped subscribing before), and for that it’s a lot of money.

It’s a shame there’s no low use version for those of us who aren’t fully committed to it.

Master
    Bought a road bike for the first time in the summer and did less than 20 miles on it I think.

Haven’t even fitted my clip in pedals to it!

Anyway decided to double down today and order a smart trainer.

Looking forward to it coming in 10 days and having a go of Zwift.

Any tips.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Bought a road bike for the first time in the summer and did less than 20 miles on it I think.

Haven’t even fitted my clip in pedals to it!

Anyway decided to double down today and order a smart trainer.

Looking forward to it coming in 10 days and having a go of Zwift.

Any tips.
    Explore routes, enter a few group rides with a suitable power level and just enjoy the motivational software that it is, if you want to improve on times / power etc then join Academy and follow a structured training program but remember it never gets easier you just go further and faster
    RIAC

Any recommendations on a decent soft shell cycling jacket or thermal jersey? As a big boy I'm a bit lost looking online, everything seems to be skin tight.

I ride a gravel bike so I thought road bike clothing would be the smart thing to look at but should I be looking at mountain bike kit instead?

I don't want to order 10 jackets and 10 trousers/tights and annoy the life out of whichever shop I buy from online when I start the returns for the ones which don't fit.

Would it be advisable to wear something like this with some tight cycling trousers like in the pic?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/End...Jacket-II/NMY2
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 16th November 2020 at 03:40.

Master
    Most cycling clothing is form fitting so you'll probably have to bite the bullet on that. Flappy jackets slow you down anyway.

For winter / foul weather jackets, you will need to think about whether you want something waterproof or water repellent. Waterproof sounds good on paper but the reality is you just sweat buckets. My approach is to accept I'm going to get wet at some point but still be warm, which is more important. I would also go for thinner layers rather than one thick jacket as this is far more versatile with different types of base layer and keeps the heat in better.

I've heard Fat Lad At The Back stuff is good, they may be worth a look.

Master
    To answer your other question: I'd recommend Castelli Alpha jerseys and jackets, as well as the Gabba and variants from other manufacturers. Very versatile.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look now. I'm happy to go without waterproof as I won't deliberately be out in the wet. It's just days like today where it's beautiful and sunny out, but cold. Would be nice to pop out to the real world rather than the indoor bike. I'm happy to go out on the weekends and stick to the road so long as it's dry and visibility for the car drivers is good.

Master
    Gore Windstopper jackets are a little looser fitting than Castelli etc for non racing snakes. Decent quality and the prices aren’t too bad compared to some cycling kit.

The Phantom usually gets good reviews and has zip off sleeves for spring and autumn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075S44D...1ZQ&th=1&psc=1
    Last edited by benny.c; 15th November 2020 at 15:31.

Would it be advisable to wear something like this with some tight cycling trousers like I'm the pic?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/End...Jacket-II/NMY2
    If you’re not really in a rush I’d wait for evans cycles to open again. They always have quite a range to try on.
    Endura stuff is good. You can always order quite a few different jackets from Wiggle/cycle reaction - their return process is super easy, so no problems there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Explore routes, enter a few group rides with a suitable power level and just enjoy the motivational software that it is, if you want to improve on times / power etc then join Academy and follow a structured training program but remember it never gets easier you just go further and faster
    Cool thanks! I'm going to try and mix it in with my running. Alternate days at first.

Gyms being closed is killing me so I need something else to occupy me.

Next up, recommendations for a waterproof floor. Even when you're indoors you can't escape the bloody rain!
    I should add that this photo was taken while I was on the Wahoo bike with the doors open for some air, not just a photo or a wet floor in the cycling thread! Really annoying stopping half way through to clean up and and close everything back up.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 15th November 2020 at 18:08.

Master

I'm not saying people shouldn't spend three figures on cycling shorts if they want to, but I will say that I've never spent more than £40 on a pair myself. I've put in quite a few miles this last few years and they've been fine.

Just checked and the shorts I was wearing for a 200 miler in June cost me £13.99 from Amazon; I'd had them about a year.

Again - not saying it's daft to spend £200 on shorts, but I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by the thought that cycling has to be expensive; it doesn't.