closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Old versus new Seiko Monster bracelets?

  1. #1
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26

    Old versus new Seiko Monster bracelets?

    A question to anyone who has (or has had) both the old and new Seiko Monsters on bracelet: Are the bracelets identical or is there a difference?

    Just wondering about the best way to source a bracelet for the SRP313 (supplied on rubber) that I've just purchased.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,339
    They are identical.
    They have a different code on them but otherwise they are absolutely identical.

  3. #3
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Many thanks.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Many thanks.
    No worries.

    I've had them both and I wondered that too. But the bracelet seemed pretty sturdy and well done to me so the fact that they were identical wasn't so much of a surprise.

  5. #5
    Master senraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Gisleham
    Posts
    5,799
    Infact, there is one slight difference.

    I have had both and the collar configuration is slightly different...

    On the old monster bracelet, the collar rested inside a slightly larger diameter hole on the Inside of the link's, which stopped the collar being pushed out the end when you replaced the pin.

    On the new monster bracelet, the link's no longer has a cut out for the collar to rest in on the inside, you can push the collar all the way through, which i found made it a little more difficult to adjust.

  6. #6
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    But the bracelet seemed pretty sturdy and well done to me so the fact that they were identical wasn't so much of a surprise.
    Yup, I've always liked the Monster bracelet. The similarity between old and new certainly simplifies sourcing a bracelet for the SRP313.

  7. #7
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Infact, there is one slight difference.

    I have had both and the collar configuration is slightly different...

    On the old monster bracelet, the collar rested inside a slightly larger diameter hole on the Inside of the link's, which stopped the collar being pushed out the end when you replaced the pin.

    On the new monster bracelet, the link's no longer has a cut out for the collar to rest in on the inside, you can push the collar all the way through, which i found made it a little more difficult to adjust.
    That's very interesting. Thanks for that.

    I think this encourages me to source an older bracelet.

  8. #8
    solid as it is regarded by many owners..I never been a fan of the bracelet and sold mine years ago



  9. #9
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    solid as it is regarded by many owners..I never been a fan of the bracelet and sold mine years ago
    It's interesting how tastes differ. I tried wearing my new SRP313 on the supplied rubber strap yesterday and, although it looks very good on rubber, it did not feel right for me (especially in this exceedingly hot weather).

    The Monster's bracelet really suits the watch in my view and, for me at least, just feels more right.

  10. #10
    Craftsman AKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Infact, there is one slight difference.

    I have had both and the collar configuration is slightly different...

    On the old monster bracelet, the collar rested inside a slightly larger diameter hole on the Inside of the link's, which stopped the collar being pushed out the end when you replaced the pin.

    On the new monster bracelet, the link's no longer has a cut out for the collar to rest in on the inside, you can push the collar all the way through, which i found made it a little more difficult to adjust.
    I've one of the 'old' (non manual wind) monsters and the bracelet on mine allows you to knock the pin and collar straight through; the collar pieces don't fit on the inside to be retained (like you get on a SARB). So I'm not sure that the bracelet design has changed with the new model, as they may had changed it prior.

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    59
    Are we sure the bracelets are both the same?

    I have a 49X8 G-C Z and it is very light. Almost cheap and nasty feeling.

    I've heard reports the older 49X8 G-C is much sturdier / heavier.

  12. #12
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
    Are we sure the bracelets are both the same?

    I have a 49X8 G-C Z and it is very light. Almost cheap and nasty feeling.

    I've heard reports the older 49X8 G-C is much sturdier / heavier.
    Hmm, interesting. I don't have a "49X8 G-C" to compare.

    However, I can confirm that recentish old Monsters had the same bracelet as the new Monster.

    I've got a bracelet from one of the old 7S26 Seiko Monsters (from October 2011) and it's labelled as a "49X8-GC Z"

    I've also got a bracelet from a new Monster (a SRP311K1, black DLC bracelet) which is also labelled "49X8-GC Z".

    I.e. Both the plain SS bracelet from the old Monster and the DLC bracelet on the new Monster have the same reference.

    For absolute clarity, note the dash between 8 and G, the dot between G and C and the space between C and Z! The dot is very easy to miss on the plain SS bracelet but it's there; it's easier to see on the DLC.

    Both bracelets above seem similarly well made and of similar weight. I used to have a couple of much older 7S26 Monsters and I don't recall their bracelets being any better made, but it was some time ago.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 18th September 2013 at 17:14.

  13. #13
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    26,467
    Hmm, as solid as I think the bracelet is I usually keep mine on a Nato or rubber strap, just feels more comfortable for casual wear.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    4,482
    Fiddly to adjust the first time you do it, but I think they're really good bracelets.

  15. #15
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I don't have a "49X8 G-C" to compare.

    However, I can confirm that recentish old Monsters had the same bracelet as the new Monster.

    I've got a bracelet from one of the old 7S26 Seiko Monsters (from October 2011) and it's labelled as a "49X8-GC Z"

    I've also got a bracelet from a new Monster (a SRP311K1, black DLC bracelet) which is also labelled "49X8-GC Z".

    I.e. Both the plain SS bracelet from the old Monster and the DLC bracelet on the new Monster have the same reference.

    For absolute clarity, note the dash between 8 and G, the dot between G and C and the space between C and Z! The dot is very easy to miss on the plain SS bracelet but it's there; it's easier to see on the DLC.

    Both bracelets above seem similarly well made and of similar weight. I used to have a couple of much older 7S26 Monsters and I don't recall their bracelets being any better made, but it was some time ago.
    Thanks for that.

    The bracelet on your old Monster is the same as on the new as Seiko made the revision to 'Z' around 2010 I believe.

    Don't you find it feels a little flimsy?

    Does anyone have both the old and new revision to compare together?

  16. #16
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
    Don't you find it feels a little flimsy?
    Err... no! :-) It feels fine, nice and strong and not overly rattly. Perhaps I would feel differently if I could compare the pre-Z version with this version side by side.

    I'll see if I can source one of the old versions in order to compare. We'll see. (I'll report back on what I find but don't hold your breath. ;-) )

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    117
    thank for the information. i had the same doubt

  18. #18
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,655
    Intriguing thread... I have three first generation Monsters - two on the original bracelets and one on rubber (although I still have the bracelet for that, too). I can't comment on the original question as I've never owned or handled a second generation Monster, but I feel I have to respond to those who've described the Monster bracelet as flimsy.

    Frankly I'm astonished. I think the Monster bracelet is first class, and very much in keeping with the 'bomb-proof' nature of the watch head. I've realised that I generally much prefer watches on leather or rubber and only keep a watch on the original steel if I really, really like the bracelet - that applies to only three watches out of 23, and two of those are Monsters.

    Simon

  19. #19
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'll see if I can source one of the old versions in order to compare. We'll see. (I'll report back on what I find but don't hold your breath. ;-) )
    Ok, I've just taken delivery of an August 2009 7S26 Black Monster with "49X8-GC" bracelet. In addition I have an October 2011 7S26 Black Monster with a "49X8-GC Z" bracelet and a brand new 4R36 Monster (SRP311K1) with a "49X8-GC Z" bracelet.

    I'll do a side by side comparison of the bracelets so we can see if there have been any changes. I'll post a link to the comparison when I've done it.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'll do a side by side comparison of the bracelets so we can see if there have been any changes. I'll post a link to the comparison when I've done it.
    Can't wait to see the comparison.
    Great idea, Mark.

  21. #21
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,945
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    Can't wait to see the comparison.
    Great idea, Mark.
    Thanks for the reminder. :-) I've had the watches sitting on a table together waiting for me to get the job done so it's about time I did so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information