timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: An amazingly rare and historically important Speedmaster

Looking forward to it

Cracking story, just needs an ending!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    For those still interested, I had a reply from the OP today to say he will add an update to this thread, which is good news.
    That's fantastic! I run into this thread about once every year and it always leaves me feeling unsatisfied!

I look in on this thread from time to time, too.

Ah, well.

Maybe next time.

Sorry guys, this was the message on the 15th :-

It's been a while since I have visited the forum - can you send me a link to the thread please, I'll post a reply.

I did of course send the link. I expect he's been busy since then.

Ian

Hopefully he'll find time. Be interesting to know the outcome.

Can't believe I missed this the first time around! Awesome find, well done that man!

Ryan

Master
    Can I ask what the regular version of the watch would have sold for at the time? It's obviously a special watch but not something I can imagine the majority want to own so I struggle to see how the regular version would have been more than a few hundred?

What I'm getting at is the gent paid over £1000 for it. Maybe that was its value at the time, which let's face it was a lot a few years ago considering how crazy things have gone in recent years.

Or were the regular versions worth a grand then?

It always amazes me how someone could have something so special and not know about it. How does it even end up there!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Can I ask what the regular version of the watch would have sold for at the time? It's obviously a special watch but not something I can imagine the majority want to own so I struggle to see how the regular version would have been more than a few hundred?

What I'm getting at is the gent paid over £1000 for it. Maybe that was its value at the time, which let's face it was a lot a few years ago considering how crazy things have gone in recent years.

Or were the regular versions worth a grand then?

It always amazes me how someone could have something so special and not know about it. How does it even end up there!
    I have the regular version and they are pretty rare in themselves. I think they, along with a handful of other cased versions with the cal 1620 module, were a couple hundred quid when new and were selling for around £750-£1000 in recent years. Not sure these days as I've been out of the market for a couple years.
    Last edited by Gurmot; 27th January 2017 at 13:57.

Journeyman
    So, just logging my interest in this thread, in view to hopefully hearing what the conclusion to the 'find' is/was...

Journeyman
    We need closure!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    We need closure!
    Yes...doubt we will get it :(

Update

I'm sitting on the train on my way back from a visit to the Omega Museum in Bienne. And WOW - what a visit! I think we spent (Mrs Futon came too) a total of 4 hrs there including a very nice lunch. I have to say it really was a fantastic experience, way beyond my expectations. The team there are super generous with their time, experience and of course fantastic knowledge and enthusiasm. I met with the Museum director and two of his colleagues who are archive/ historical experts.

The main take away is that the Alaska IV was indeed used by NASA in training missions and indeed some examples were flown! Though a this time it is not known which numbers were actually flown. I don't think the fully story of the Alaska has unfolded yet ;)

Some other interesting facts emerged, the case is unique, being slightly thicker, to accommodate the "beta light" and the buttons are also slightly larger. They now have some of the beta light strips on display in the main museum area, sadly I forgot to photograph them.

I was also wearing a Speedsonic Lobster, they very generously, offered to check it out for me in the archives. The watch was opened and numbers noted, it is apparently an early example. I was then taken into the Omega archive, with rank upon rank of leather bound volumes, where each sale is recorded by hand. I was allowed to photograph this inner sanctuary - but alas on the promise that I can't share it. Anyhow, the archivist duly tracked down the watch using two separate volumes and thus authenticated the watch for me. He kindly created an 'extract from the archives' - which will have to be signed by the president of Omega (as apparently they all are). This can take a while as he is a busy man (no shit!). They will also be creating an extract for the Alaska. And all this for no charge. Amazing really. Then they gave me the new Moonwatch Only book, a massive book dedicated to the Omega NASA relationship, interestingly there is a picture of the Alaska on the front of the dust jacket.

We were then shown into the watch archive, this really is the holy of the Holies for rare Omegas. Tray, upon tray of rare prototypes and one offs. Oh to have been able to record everything I saw!!! I was able to take some photos, but sad to say, again, strictly not to be shared, sorry guys!

Finally the watch was examined by Museum watchmaker, he was a lovely chap (as are they all) but I don't think he is a quartz fan ;) - he rubbed the module with some blue tack and replaced a screw, which was scandalously a Philips screw! There was much tutting! Then he looked inside my Lobster, more tutting ensued, and outrage about fingerprints on the movement, followed by more blutack dabbing.

The museum director had to shoot off for other meetings, and as we have decided to stay in Switzerland for a few days, we may well get together again, as I still have a few questions.

I think that's about it, if I have an update next week, I'll keep you posted.

I really feel that the Omega guys went above and beyond for me in every way they could, so a big thanks to you guys.

Futon
    Last edited by futon river crossing; 16th August 2017 at 14:24.

An update!

I have looked forward to this - thank you. To have seen the vaults as you have is certainly rather special.

I hope there will be another update before this thread is put to bed!

Yes, to be allowed into the archive area was really something special, but having free roam amongst the drawers of super rare prototypes was, frankly, really off the scale.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I am sure he would have used rodico putty!!

thank you for the update.

mike

Journeyman
    Thanks for the update. Unfortunately the photobucket links are down on the first page.

Master
    Fantastic! Is there any chance you could upload your original photos of the watch as PhotoBucket is blocking them in this thread unfortunately. Incredible find, well done.

Master
    Fantastic, they are all great guys, Petros is a top bloke and a true grail of knowledge.

Well done you and have a great rest of your trip

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just heard about these on a time4apint podcast. Very interesting piece.

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    I'm sitting on the train on my way back from a visit to the Omega Museum in Bienne. And WOW - what a visit! I think we spent (Mrs Futon came too) a total of 4 hrs there including a very nice lunch. I have to say it really was a fantastic experience, way beyond my expectations. The team there are super generous with their time, experience and of course fantastic knowledge and enthusiasm. I met with the Museum director and two of his colleagues who are archive/ historical experts.

The main take away is that the Alaska IV was indeed used by NASA in training missions and indeed some examples were flown! Though a this time it is not known which numbers were actually flown. I don't think the fully story of the Alaska has unfolded yet ;)

Some other interesting facts emerged, the case is unique, being slightly thicker, to accommodate the "beta light" and the buttons are also slightly larger. They now have some of the beta light strips on display in the main museum area, sadly I forgot to photograph them.

I was also wearing a Speedsonic Lobster, they very generously, offered to check it out for me in the archives. The watch was opened and numbers noted, it is apparently an early example. I was then taken into the Omega archive, with rank upon rank of leather bound volumes, where each sale is recorded by hand. I was allowed to photograph this inner sanctuary - but alas on the promise that I can't share it. Anyhow, the archivist duly tracked down the watch using two separate volumes and thus authenticated the watch for me. He kindly created an 'extract from the archives' - which will have to be signed by the president of Omega (as apparently they all are). This can take a while as he is a busy man (no shit!). They will also be creating an extract for the Alaska. And all this for no charge. Amazing really. Then they gave me the new Moon Only book, a massive book dedidacted to the Omega NASA relationship, interestingly there is s picture of the Alaska on the front of the dust jacket.

We were then shown into the watch archive, this really is the holy of the Holies for rare Omegas. Tray, upon tray of rare prototypes and one offs. Oh to have been able to record everything I saw!!! I was able to take some photos, but sad to say, again, strictly not to be shared, sorry guys!

Finally the watch was examined by Museum watchmaker, he was a lovely chap (as are they all) but I don't think he is a quartz fan ;) - he rubbed the module with some blue tack and replaced a screw, which was scandalously a Philips screw! There was much tutting! Then he looked inside my Lobster, more tutting ensued, and outrage about fingerprints on the movement, followed by more blutack dabbing.

The museum director had to shoot off for other meetings, and as we have decided to stay in Switzerland for a few days, we may well get together again, as I still have a few questions.

I think that's about it, if I have an update next week, I'll keep you posted.

I really feel that the Omega guys went above and beyond for me in every way they could, so a big thanks to you guys.

Futon
    Thank you very much for sharing this very interesting update.

Master
    Fantastic to hear the end of the story! Still my all time favourite thread on TZ!

I've been looking forward to an update on this and you haven't disappointed. Many thanks.

Thanks MMC, Tom, everyone.

The story is by no means over, as we (the Museum and myself) are looking at the best way to auction the watch, given the success of the Speedmaster 50 auction, we are thinking that the upcoming 50th anniversary of the moon landings might be at good time, so 2019. Maybe by then more information will be available too.

The links photos on the OT have been repaired, as requested.

Saw on a recent trip down the internet rabbit hole that Bonhams or Christies had auctioned a pair of these in one lot for about £40k

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/L...6-details.aspx

Thanks for the very welcome update, most apreciated.
    It shows that Omega themselves are pretty excited about your find too, well done.
    Dave

ps - that auction pair set is not the original trit-lit version, it is the production one with a light....
    Last edited by sweets; 16th August 2017 at 15:10. Reason: add ps

I knew there was a reason I didn't bid.

Many thanks for the update Futon. Just found this thread and am also "wow!" An amazing risk and find. Enjoy Switzerland.

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Update: supplemental

I was invited back to the Omega Museum, for second visit, for lunch and chats with the Petros and the vintage team on Wednesday. We had a lovely lunch at the staff canteen, they eat really well there!

There was a possibility that the President could sign my two extracts for me, but alas this was not to be. I did however pick up the Moonwatch Only book that Petros had very kindly given me.

I was able to look at some their 'flown' watches, notably the Alaska V (the X-33 prototype). It was fascinating to see them in their original 'flight kit' bags, exactly as they are given to the Astronaughts as they prepare for their mission.

Alaska V in its bag

Case back of the Alaska V

I was told that Omega will try to 'repossess' any example of these watches that come up for sale in public auction. The reason for this is that the Alaska V was leant to NASA for evaluation and it was always meant for them to be returned, thus they have legally remained the property of Omega.

I was also able to look at other quartz prototypes. Including a really cool f300 in a hard metal case, the test designs for the chronoquartz made in a cork like material, one of which was a pendant design, so many cool things.

Petros also showed me a really cool Astronaughts Hasselblad, and a camera that was actually on the moon lander!

Moon Lander camera

All in all another fantastic visit to the Museum, and thanks again, for everything to Petros and the team.

Alaska IV in its homeland ;)

Futon

Master
    Absolutely astonishing story that gets better, thank you for sharing, updates and all.

I was also able to look at other quartz prototypes. Including a really cool f300 in a hard metal case,
    That's interesting; did it look anything like this one:

I don't suppose you have a picture?

Yes - exactly like that one, I think! Or at least very similar. Sorry, I wasn't able to photograph it :( There was just so much to see and touch, time was limited, and I didn't want to over impose on their already generous hospitality.

Is that one yours? Very cool. love to see some more pictures.

I really liked the design, a slimmed down version of the Seamaster Hardmetal.
    Last edited by futon river crossing; 17th August 2017 at 18:31.

My Alaska IV will be auctioned on Friday at Sotheby’s New York. Get your bids in ;)

GLWTS!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Here the link for those with a few bob to spend. Good luck with the sale.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...less?locale=en

Master
    Amazing, what a good read this thread has been. Best of luck.

That's just crazy. Congratulations on a serious bit of history.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'll be watching this

Have they photoshopped the movement picture?

Steve

Master
    Excellent!! With all this talk of the moon landings I was thinking about this watch just the other day and so it’s great to see an update.
    Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Buchannon View Post
    Here the link for those with a few bob to spend. Good luck with the sale.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...less?locale=en
    Another one too, lot 41.

The other one wasn’t issued to NASA.

The other one wasn’t issued to NASA.
    Sorry, strangely same estimate though.

Craftsman
    Congrats and what a great find.

Hope it goes well for you, that is some find.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sorry, strangely same estimate though.
    Yeah, I thought that was odd too.

I love the fact that they've gone to the trouble of pointing out how many jewels the movement doesn't have.

Watchmakers tradition or someone having a bit of a laugh?

Journeyman
    Feel like it’s a shame to let it go. Hopefully it’s makes a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post

Watchmakers tradition or someone having a bit of a laugh?
    It’s in the finest tradition of tech engineers needing to always show complete information (I am one).

Just a great story.
    Good luck for Friday... fingers crossed!!!

fabulous story and it is nice to hear of the warm welcome the OP received at Omega.

Given those personal connections made, and the most likely buyer probably being Omega, I wonder why the OP is selling via auction and incurring the costs. Perhaps that is the only way anyone can gauge a market value