closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: An amazingly rare and historically important Speedmaster

Master
    I saw the estimate and thought that's too low, auctioneer's often do this to attract attention though. It seems it was badly described imo and someone got a very good deal. Having said that very rare watches sometimes don't make mega bucks because no one has a benchmark to price from. Futonrivercrossing you have had a marvellous journey with this watch, ok you didn't get fabulously wealthy but enjoy what went.

Blimey, that was remarkable value for the lucky winner. I think the value of these will increase along with other early digital watches. A digital watch was the first piece of digital technology that most people had. I guess this one was just a bit too niche and you needed the right people aware of the sale to realise a good price.

Journeyman
    Just caught up with this saga.

Gutted for the OP, I would have rather kept the watch than let it go for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of views on the outcome of the auction, I think that the OP comes out of this story with great credit.

Unless he had identified the true nature of the watch, we would never have seen Prototype No. 1. Most likely it would have been lost, unless in the future somebody had the expertise and persistence to realise what it is. I’m glad he made quite a bit on it, even if it wasn’t as much as was speculated.

At least the new owner now knows exactly what they have and the rest of us can enjoy knowing it exists and the story behind it.

It would be nice if the museum has bought it, but even if not, I expect it will surface again from time to time and the rest of us can enjoy it from a distance.

Master
    I expected a higher price and suspect it would have sold for more in SC. Great story though.

As an aside, auction house commissions have always seemed ridiculous to me, especially on high value items (and poorly listed to boot).

This watch features in the current Octane, with a couple of references to TZ-UK.
    "A man of little significance"

Prototype - Omega Speedmaster - No1 of 20 - NASA, just those few words surely add up to more than £10k, once the house has had their hand in the sale price I would be gutted, it must be worth so much more..

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    This watch features in the current Octane, with a couple of references to TZ-UK.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Prototype - Omega Speedmaster - No1 of 20 - NASA, just those few words surely add up to more than £10k, once the house has had their hand in the sale price I would be gutted, it must be worth so much more..
    Think you're right. If we knew it would go for that a few members here would have offered the same amount and avoided the fees.

Master
    Can I ask for opinions on the value of my standard (but still rare) 186.0004? I’ve been somewhat out of the market for a while and would want to pitch it at the right level. Was serviced by Simon Freese when he was with STS, comes with an original and rare instruction and marketing booklet on Omega’s range of digital watches in the late 70’s.
    Thanks

One went for £1978 a couple of weeks back on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Spe...-/233471497389

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    One went for £1978 a couple of weeks back on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Spe...-/233471497389
    Thanks, that gives me a starting point.