closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

I had just went to bed before the final collapse started.

So with our backs against the wall all we could muster was 179. That is pretty bad and reminds me of how the Test series began against Pakistan last yr. To not get past 300 in either innings on this pitch represents poor batting let alone not even passing 200!

The writing has been on the wall for the last 18 months, reality is we have not been performing at all well for the last 2 years. The key concerns for England at the moment:

Trott - he's a walking wicket at the moment and needs to sort himself out ASAP. He's had since the summer and clearly he has significant psychological issues/demons to overcome.
    Prior - averaging something like 15, he's not been reliable at all lately with the bat and England need their wicketkeeper to perform. I think Prior has become to comfortable in his position, just look at how desperate England were to get him fit for the first Test.
    Swann - dismal figures, not sure he's adding much at the moment, no real threat. Sadly a lack of spinners to really push Swann out of the team. But I think it was telling sign seeing how much Root bowled.
    Tremlett - no real threat and his figures were far too complimentary. I'd stick Finn in for the next Test
    Anderson - my worry at the moment is Anderson is rather ineffective if there is a complete lack of ball movement. A little hint of swing and devastation but otherwise kind of meh.

I worry about the lasting psychological damage to the players this sort of defeat does and hope they can pick themselves up, but I think we'll struggle to retain the Ashes......

All perfectly fair points. I wonder if England have become stuck, as happened a few years ago, with not being brave enough to drop players who are out of form, believing that they'll come good?

I also think that the pitch was prepared especially to nullify the threat of Swann. After so many years of preparing wickets which will turn square on day 4 onwards because they had Shane Warne Australia haven't produced a decent spinner - so they don't need to produce a spinning pitch.

As far as Anderson is concerned, he's never usually managed to swing the Kookaburra ball as well as the Duke, hence he's less effective in Australia. He's still our best bowler, though.

But it's the batting which gives most concern, as you say. We'll know more after the next Test, I suppose, but if we fall short again the selectors should be prepared to make changes. Drop Trott and bat Root at 3? Bring Jos Buttler in for Prior?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Looks like Trott isn't hanging around for the replay - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25085025

That's a shame, and I hope that he recovers soon. He's been one of the players around whom England have built the side, and his form influences England's batting.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    That is a shame re Trott, hope he recovers soon.

The next test at Adelaide should be a happier hunting ground for England. If they lose that, then I think it will be difficult for us to retain the ashes...

As already mentioned, the Aussies won't prepare a turnng wicket there, or anywhere, but I think Swann can still play a part tying up an end and can be handy with the bat.

I also understand the wicket is a drop in type, and won't have the pace and bounce of the test just gone. I believe our bowlers are more capable of 'eaking' out wickets than the Aussie attack on a 'normal' pitch, so if the batting turns up should be a good contest.

I don't think England have become awful overnight, it's more to do with lack of preparation and the new tactic from the Aussies of all out aggression in both batting and bowling. It won't always work, and if England can manage to put them under pressure we'll see how permanent the renaissance really is.

We just didn't ever manage to put the Austealians under much pressure after the first half day, and made it easy for them. Conversely, we were under pressure and pretty much stopped trying. I'm sure it won't be like that second test.

All good stuff anyway, it would get boring if England always won!

It must be a rather lonely place out on the pitch in Australia in an Ashes test if you're holding a bat and you're English. Some of the Australian sledging appears to have crossed a line, and their captain has been fined 20% of his match fee for saying some particularly objectionable things to Jimmy Anderson.

And David Warner, a man with a single-figure IQ, should have learned a lesson about keeping his trap shut and his emotions under control, but it would appear not.

I don't imagine that the likes of Andrew Flintoff or Ian Botham were too concerned by a bit of sledging.

Perhaps it's time for the Barmy Army to step it up a notch:

http://test.barmyarmy.com/barmysongs/index.php

What Warner said.

"England are on the back foot, it does look like they've got scared eyes at the moment"

"The way that Trotty got out today was pretty poor and weak."

Doesn't seem too out of order.

What Michael Vaughan said.

"These are the worst nine runs I've ever seen an England number three make"

"I'm afraid Jonathan Trott has got to ask himself many questions. Soul-searching for Jonathan Trott. Mitchell Johnson has got the wool over his eyes. That is as bad an innings as I have seen from an England number three. He is all over the oche. For the first time in his career there is a big question mark over Jonathan Trott."

Know which I'd be more upset with.

Every time I've heard Michael Vaughan express an opinion since he retired, I've increasingly felt that he's actually a bit of a tit.

The way he handles himself and callers on the occasional 5 Live cricket phone-in is telling, as were his comments about Jonathan Trott the other night. Shame, as I'd like to like the bloke, but I can't bring myself to do it.

My own reaction on the whole Trott situation. Firstly I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery and that he gets back playing again. If for whatever reason he doesn't play again I hope his career with England isn't overshadowed by this.

Now reading about the sledging, I personally don't think it was too over the top. Frankly the Aussies have always been a bit aggressive with their sledging and so this is really not that new. Vaughan has been a bit harsh in his words, but again it really is nothing overly dramatic.

One thing that concerns me though is Trott has had issues for some time. I'm frankly alarmed that the England management took a player on tour that was clearly not in the right frame of mind before boarding the plane. This undermines the whole tour preparation completely and this is clearly total bad judgement by the management. They should stop focusing on making an 82 page document on dietary requirements and focus on the team! It also now raises concerns on how England rejig their batting lineup. Simply shifting Root up to 3 and bringing Bairstow in is not the solution. We need someone at 3 who is comfortable in dealing with the fast bouncers.

Craftsman
    I like the English boys ignoring the local press in Alice Springs airport. KP kept his headphones on throughout and just kept saying "I cant hear you" to the reporters :)

England players have strong characters - they'll come good.
    Last edited by amii21; 26th November 2013 at 20:31.

I think Bell would be better at 3 as he has said it's a place he would like to play and has had more tests than Root. Also I think it is time to play two spinners and bring back Monty and replace Tremlett with Finn. Needs a good shake up and somebody with balls to make some changes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    I like the English boys ignoring the local press in Alice Springs airport. KP kept his headphones on throughout and just kept saying "I cant hear you" to the reporters :)

England players have strong characters - they'll come good.
    I can't believe the Aussie press are now bleating like schoolgirls about the England players refusing to speak to them, this after their refusing to name Stuart Broad in their coverage and then refusing to name any England players!

Priceless!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Needs a good shake up and somebody with balls to make some changes.
    This.
    Not changing anything until we go 2-0 down would be a repeat of 2006-7.

This.
    Not changing anything until we go 2-0 down would be a repeat of 2006-7.
    We did react very quickly in India after the first Test humping by bringing in a second spinner. But the issue here is that the solution is not so clear cut. You cannot simply make broad sweep changes in an Ashes series. Now is not the time for big experimentation - I still believe this England team is significantly better than their Aussie counterparts. We just have to focus. We also traditionally do badly in the first Test of a series.

There is still a long way to go. The thing that worries me is deeply is the batting - it's not been good enough for most of 2013. The one reason is our tail is not as strong as it used to be. Once we get to number 6 or Prior we are falling like a house of cards. Broad is playing better and I like Root at 6. But the rest at the moment are woeful. I fully believe in the current age of cricket that our bowlers should be able to average 15 in Test arena at least if not 20.

I think we will move Root up to 3 for the next Test. I think they want to protect Bell and feel he cannot hold this fragile lineup together if he comes in higher and secondly Root seems to be able to play Johnson rather effectively. Personally I would bring in who has batted the best at 3 in County cricket.

This whole 'truce' that Flower has touted is also nonsense. It makes the England team look weak and quaking in their boots. I don't think it comes as a surprise that the England player who has been getting the most abuse, who is also handling it brilliantly is also our best performer. A certain 27yr old medium pace bowler....

Craftsman
    I've been cheering myself up by reading about Douglas Jardine and the Bodyline series.

"Well bowled, Harold" :)

Hmmm not doing so well in the Chairmans match - 65/3, Carberry, Root and Prior all out cheaply against a rather pedestrian attack.....

Saddle up second test is about to begin! Looks as if Stokes and Monty to be picked. I personally would have gone for a more solid batsman but there is not between Ballance, Bairstow and Stokes so fair enough.

As for Monty, I think his left arm spin could be pretty effective against a predominantly right handed batting line-up. I guess its more a case of Bresnan not being fully fit.

Master
    So to Bowl first. :-(

Master
    brave decision to play 2 spinners in this match, may prove to be a good decision due to the dryness of the pitch but I think I would have gone with bresnan rather than monty

Quote Originally Posted by no.3 View Post
    brave decision to play 2 spinners in this match, may prove to be a good decision due to the dryness of the pitch but I think I would have gone with bresnan rather than monty
    I don't think Bresnan is fully fit to be honest. 2 spinners would have been a fine strategy if we would be bowling last on this pitch. But since losing the toss, it may be ineffective.....

Pitch seems good, very little ball movement - can see Aus getting 450+

'what a dipstick...there's no oil in his lamp!' Warner out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I don't think Bresnan is fully fit to be honest. 2 spinners would have been a fine strategy if we would be bowling last on this pitch. But since losing the toss, it may be ineffective.....

Pitch seems good, very little ball movement - can see Aus getting 450+
    I think you are right about Bresnan, he played in the last warm up match so I thought he had a chance. May have been able to get some reverse swing on this wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by no.3 View Post
    I think you are right about Bresnan, he played in the last warm up match so I thought he had a chance. May have been able to get some reverse swing on this wicket.
    I think Bresnan needs another week, so should be fighting fit and raring to go for the third test. He's been missed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichUK View Post
    I think Bresnan needs another week, so should be fighting fit and raring to go for the third test. He's been missed.
    To be honest, he's not really been missed here. We just needed to hold onto our catches. Monty has been pretty effective and Swann also seems more effective with him bowling in tandem.

Aus showing some intent to run away with it at the start of Day 2....

To be honest, he's not really been missed here. We just needed to hold onto our catches. Monty has been pretty effective and Swann also seems more effective with him bowling in tandem.

Aus showing some intent to run away with it at the start of Day 2....
    We need the top order to justify their existence like never before. They were like rabbits in the headlights in the first Test, and all of a sudden made Mitchell Johnson look like good bowler.

We simply cannot afford to lose this one. The next Test is in Perth, and we haven't won there since God was a boy. So unless we win this match there's every chance that the series will be lost after three Tests, and we won't have any excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    We need the top order to justify their existence like never before. They were like rabbits in the headlights in the first Test, and all of a sudden made Mitchell Johnson look like good bowler.

We simply cannot afford to lose this one. The next Test is in Perth, and we haven't won there since God was a boy. So unless we win this match there's every chance that the series will be lost after three Tests, and we won't have any excuses.
    Well I went to bed just before England kicked off their innings after being spanked about by every Aussie. I feared we would be 45-3, but mercifully its only 35-1 - hope the boys get a good night rest....

Best quote I saw on twitter was by one of the bbc reporters 'If you are waking up in the UK it's been a day of wildly varying fortunes for Australian batsmen - sometimes they've scored 4s, other times 6s.' Highest number of 6s hit in an ashes innings...

Master
    For me the writing was on the wall in summer - 3-0 was a flattering result. I think the toss has been a decider, we need to have a go first and at least try to post a decent score. Batting second we just can't seem to cope with the pressure.

I hope tonight we get out of jail because at 1-0 we have a chance of winning the Ashes not just retaining them. Hope the team digs deep. At 2-0 it's all over.

I didn't realise we had batted for 20 odd overs last night and only scored 35! We have to be able to maintain some sort of decent run rate to put some pressure on the Australian bowlers....

Master
    Enough of this comedy England performance, I'm off to bed. I think the Ashes will be lost by the morning :(

Master
    66 for 3 time for bed I think

This horror movie is unbelievable - England need to sort out their act or I see a very easy 5-0 Australia the way we are playing.

Craftsman
    I've had a very enjoyable afternoon on the couch, but I'll not rub it in too much ;-)

Have to say though, my admiration for Ian Bell continues to grow. Not once did he flinch. His team mates need to follow his example.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I've had a very enjoyable afternoon on the couch, but I'll not rub it in too much ;-)

Have to say though, my admiration for Ian Bell continues to grow. Not once did he flinch. His team mates need to follow his example.
    Carberry also played pretty well and his dismissal was a very good piece of fielding. I'm still in shock with how bad that innings was overall. I mean this pitch has no bounce or menace and we can't even muster 200!

Carberry also played pretty well and his dismissal was a very good piece of fielding. I'm still in shock with how bad that innings was overall. I mean this pitch has no bounce or menace and we can't even muster 200!

Exactly. This is another feeble performance by England, but the signs were there in the summer - it's now clear that we won the previous series because Australia didn't play well, and we played slightly better. England's top order were bailed out by Ian Bell and one great innings by Joe Root, but this time the top order has been well and truly exposed.

Mitchell Johnson looks like a completely different bowler, and England have been blown away. Again.

Bell needs to bat at three, to stabilise the top order.

Just woke up to the dismal overnight scorecard. It seems there is virtually no spine in the batting line up and that Johnson has the better of them. I suspect the highlights will make painful watching today.

Craftsman
    I went to bed at 1:30 with Carberry and Bell going well. I didn't expect to get up to this score. All I can say (through gritted teeth) is "Well done Johnson"

Broad and Stokes have both shown that they can bowl up at the same sort of speeds as Johnson so I don't understand why they are currently letting it go a yard slower. What is wrong with them?

Tymal Mills is out there with the England team as a net bowler. I'd like to see him stuck in the team to give the Australians a taste of their own medicine.

We know what happens to the Saggy Greens when things aren't going all their own way.

Mitchell Johnson is 32 and it's taken him virtually a whole career to have a good run of overs in consecutive matches. Devon Malcolm was the same for England 15 years ago.

Don't press the panic button just yet - there's still plenty in the England tank for the next three games. They need Bresnan back in and to sort out the batting order though if they want to turn this one around.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    ... there's still plenty in the England tank for the next three games.
    On paper, yes, I would 100% agree with that. However I think they are a spent force mentally (and perhaps physically too). They look tired and don't seem to have that "edge" at the moment. They are being humiliated at the moment, which is a shame.

I think too much cricket is to blame, they need a proper rest.

Master
    Sorry I don't think they have anything left, and believe me it really pains me to say that. The batting frailties are being brutally exposed here. WACA next - the fastest ground in the world. Agnew has got it spot on IMO
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25278753

I said above they need to win a toss and bat first, the Aussie batsmen are not being put under any pressure at all and if they were we might see a different scenario. Can't imagine what the dressing room is like, and there's another 2 months on tour still.

The Ashes are well and truly lost - there is genuine fear in the eyes of our batsmen when they face Johnson, the psychological damage is too much for us to hit back. I see the Aussies piling more psychological misery by smashing us around all morning before putting us into bat and then clearing up during the day.

The management need to look long and hard at this team and think maybe it is the end of an era and time to rebuild. What needs to be done:

1. Cook needs to either give up the captaincy or move down to 3/4 - there is just too much pressure on him.
    2. Boycott was right in that Bell is way too good to bat at 5, move him up to 3.
    3. Root at the top just doesn't work, he should stay at 5. He clearly looks much more comfortable there (maybe when he's older this can change).
    4. Peterson needs to sort himself out.
    5. Openers - a real issue. Carberry looks ok, but we need someone else.
    6. Prior - the way the England team is set up the keeper needs to bat solidly, Prior is a walking wicket. Sadly I don't know again who we could slot instead of him.
    7. Stokes is looking decent actually, but he seems more a bowling all rounder?
    8. Swann is highly ineffective against right handers at the moment. We have to be pragmatic with our spinners. Monty should be number 1 if the opposition is predominantly right handed.
    9. Anderson is cutting a quiet figure when there is no movement - his pace isn't there to trouble on an Australian wicket, but he's still our best bowler. Broad however has done himself pretty good credit, he seems to be relishing the whole environment.
    10. We also need to play less Tests, no doubt fatigue is also a problem - we look tired.

This is not the best Australian team, but we are making them look like world beaters. Before this Ashes series this team had not won a Test in a yr!

(Rant over)

Craftsman
    Great - England chasing 531 - Cook out for a single. It's gonna be a long night....

Master
    20 for 2, bloody hell

...It's gonna be a long night....
    28 for 2; England need another 503 runs to win...are you sure?

[Edit @ 0820] OK you were right; they did manage to survive the day...
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th December 2013 at 09:19.

In theory this is still a dead pitch...Pieterson and Root need to bat till the end of the day for us to have a chance of saving it now....

England have reached 200. This officially counts as a "Moral Victory".

All is not lost.

Nice to see Prior making a fight of it. Pieterson has yet to make any mark on the series.
    I can't be the only one who finds the sight of all the sledging unpalatable.

Craftsman
    Not long to go now. Hope your boys don't mind a bit of warm weather. 38+ deg.C forecast for the next few days in Perth.

A disappointing and depressing (but predictable) lack of imagination and bottle shown by the England Management in their team selection.
    Last edited by hhhh; 13th December 2013 at 14:43.

Blog Entries
    A repeat of the 1st day of both the previous two tests - England making some good inroads into the Australian batting line-up, only to be unable to deliver that killer blow. In fairness, some decent batting has got the Australians back in the game on all 3 occasions.

It will be interesting to see how England bat tomorrow - as the Perth pitch usually quickens a pace or two on the 2nd day. Though I wouldn't want to be bowling out there at full pelt in the near 40 degree heat!