closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAS Explorer II - estimate £20-30k.. what!!

Banned

SAS Explorer II - estimate £20-30k.. what!!

Watches of Knightsbridge have a new auction catalogue just out, of which the front cover features the latest model Ex II, with SAS engravings.. estimate states 20-30 grand

I know some vintage mil watches command a big premium, but is this really worth that much coin??

Catalogue is here..
    http://content.yudu.com/Library/A29x...20th-July-2013

Screengrab..

Bonkers. In addition, would the engravings prevent the owner from getting the watch serviced by Rolex, in a similar way to them refusing to service my mother in laws datejust because she had a diamond bezel fixed to it?

Banned
    I do rather enjoy watching a Walt getting it up the Johnson...

Thats just silly. Whats stopping me take mine down to the engravers and getting that done.

Crazy money. Whats the relevance of the engraving? I doubt the SAS go around advertising their job role! Its the type of thing I would have worn down the nightclubs in the 90's to impress the ladies!!

I'll think of something cutting to say later - right now I can't stop laughing
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I do rather enjoy watching a Walt getting it up the Johnson...
    up the Johnson?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Whoever buys that must've had a large bang on the head!

Lothario Tips: Vol. 1 Chapter 1

"Look at that chap."

"Which one?"

"The one behind me with the suit shorts, corduroy jacket, glasses and the 60" waist."

"Yes?"

"He's special."

"I can see that."

"Seriously - he's special. Well, Special Forces."

"Yes, clearly."

"He must be - it says so on his watch."

"Why didn't you say - let's go and chat to him."

Master
    I say good on the lad selling this - assuming he really is SAS, then he has dedicated his life and suffered bloody hard in his years with the forces, and if he can make a few bob out of it so some yuppie can have an "SAS Explorer II", then good on him.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    up the Johnson?

Think Josh is having flashbacks to 'nam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    up the Johnson?
    Feel free to suggest an alternative p.o.e...

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Thats just silly. Whats stopping me take mine down to the engravers and getting that done.

Crazy money. Whats the relevance of the engraving? I doubt the SAS go around advertising their job role! Its the type of thing I would have worn down the nightclubs in the 90's to impress the ladies!!
    Probably one of a number ordered together as a group buy. I know other special forces groups have had similar things done but with a standard submariner. I believe they have to be ordered through an AD with a minimum order number before Rolex will agree to it. My understanding is that they don't do it very often but it is done.

Craftsman
    Why would the SAS want a huge bright shiney thing on their wrists when sneaking around some foreign war zone?

They dont.

Hugely speculative guide price - it's never going to get that IMO.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Hugely speculative guide price - it's never going to get that IMO.
    You may be surprised. A Rolex from another UK SF regiment went for £42k a few years ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Why would the SAS want a huge bright shiney thing on their wrists when sneaking around some foreign war zone?
    Director Special Forces would never have sanctionned this.

Never.

The case back can be engraved on watches which stay at home, but that's only with DSF's blessing. This one has the motto around the case side, which is the giveaway it's a Kinder Surprise special,

Funnily enugh if your recruitment process insists on individuals having absolutely no specific identifiable markings (tatoos, moles, birthmarks etc), the idea that it's cricket to draw attention to yourself with a "flash watch" (which a Rolex is) with this on is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by DS3R View Post

Never.

The case back can be engraved on watches which stay at home, but that's only with DSF's blessing. This one has the motto around the case side, which is the giveaway it's a Kinder Surprise special,

Funnily enugh if your recruitment process insists on individuals having absolutely no specific identifiable markings (tatoos, moles, birthmarks etc), the idea that it's cricket to draw attention to yourself with a "flash watch" (which a Rolex is) with this on is laughable.
    DS3R, every statement you make above is incorrect.
    Last edited by Skier; 5th July 2013 at 17:32.

Smile

Nice looking Rolex though!

Master
    Funnily enugh if your recruitment process insists on individuals having absolutely no specific identifiable markings (tatoos, moles, birthmarks etc), .
    This isnt true. In fact it's laughably incorrect. But then again I'm not in charge of recruiting SAS men!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    This isnt true. In fact it's laughably incorrect. But then again I'm not in charge of recruiting SAS men!
    Correct... one of the SF guys I used to work with was ginger!

Also he had a tattoo :-)

Never.

Wot ... ?

The talk was of the SAS - not the SS.

(yeah yeah I know, the SS didnt even go that far in regards to recruitment in the early days. I doubt any units do).

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    You may be surprised. A Rolex from another UK SF regiment went for £42k a few years ago.
    Was it an issued watch?

If so then, yep no problem.

This one is a 'unit purchase' which basically is a few guys have got together and bought the watches and had them engraved. (apologies if you already knew that). There have been a couple of Breitlings floating around of a similar genre.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My understanding is that if you want a Rolex supplied engraved watch then you have to approach Rolex via an AD with your request. It is considered and may be granted. They don't grant all requests and I would suggest that only certain units or regiments are approved.

However there is nothing to stop anybody taking a watch to a local engraver and having whatever they want engraved on the back.

It's clearly arse. Everyone knows that the SAS wear JLC ultrathins.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    It could be worse

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    DS3R, every statement you make above is incorrect.
    But you have to hand it to him - COMPLETELY incorrect! This guy goes in 100%

Ive never understood the special forces watch thing - it always seems very Walter Mitty to me - sure there have been a few watches issued to the SAS and SBS - the Omega seamaster and planet ocean being two well-documented examples, but the fact seems to be that the guys who actually serve in the regiments don't actually hold them in much esteem, preferring to flog them on to the kind of mug who had an action man as a child and never quite stopped playing soldier!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 5th July 2013 at 21:49.

Journeyman
    It's not just a Special Forces thing, there are a lot of military watches. The SF just have the most mystique and therefore garner the most interest, and there are people that seem happy to pay massively over the odds to own them. I don't really get it, the SF editions of Breitling, Omega and Rolex just aren't that interesting in terms of design, the Rolex is especially cheesy with that engraving. I'd rather have my Chinook Bremont, much more exclusive.........

Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    It could be worse

What the juddering hell is that Graham monstrosity? A Photoshop job surely? Or have Graham jumped the shark here?

Does this make it a "tactical" Rolex I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    It could be worse

Is it a lighter as well..?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Is it a lighter as well..?
    I think it's actually a built-in grenade

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never got the whole military watch thing. If you've served in a particular unit then fair play, wear it with pride. For somebody to buy it and play billy big bollocks I find a little sad. It's like those middle managers that turn up to a paintball event dressed like Arnie from Predator, it doesn't mean your some grizzled veteran. It means your a twat.

Strictly my opinion of course....

Get to da choppa !!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've never got the whole military watch thing. If you've served in a particular unit then fair play, wear it with pride. For somebody to buy it and play billy big bollocks I find a little sad. It's like those middle managers that turn up to a paintball event dressed like Arnie from Predator, it doesn't mean your some grizzled veteran. It means your a twat.

Strictly my opinion of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Was it an issued watch?

If so then, yep no problem.

This one is a 'unit purchase' which basically is a few guys have got together and bought the watches and had them engraved. (apologies if you already knew that). There have been a couple of Breitlings floating around of a similar genre.
    Allegedly

A unit purchase is the unit firstly agreeing a purchase within the unit, then clearing the purchase with DSF (who does sanction this sort of thing), then negotiating with Rolex, Omega, Brietling etc etc. Finally purchasing then selling to members of the unit in a manner that ensures each sale is recorded. Documentation is passed to the unit member which proves authenticity. It is never the intention for the watch to worn on operations rather it is meant to be a keepsake.

This has happened a number of times and there a few different sales of watches within the UKSF units the link below mentions an SRR one, which is stamped with the unit capbadge rather than the engraved item in the OP.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/ss-...num=5&tab=pics

There are rules that apply to serving members as far as re-sale is concerned, but these are impossible to enforce once the individual moves on. I always thought it ironic that the unit claims the watches are for members to have as mementos and not for resale and then issues a letter that says the adjutant of SAS/SBS/SRR confirms the authenticity of the watch and that the person buying it originally served with that unit. If there is to be no resale why do you need this?

No idea if this one or the one in the link above are genuine BTW but just thought I would chuck my ha'penny in. Even less idea why you would want one if you never served in the unit but there is a whole industry supplying walt's with UKSF crap so there does seem to be a demand.

Best

Den

That watch, I know for a fact, has been up Randy McNab's bum.

Never.

You , Sir , have clearly never watched James Bond .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

some rolex alway get silly money and ive no doubt this will go the same way tho to me its markings mean nothing more than a watch that has say '25 years employment at cadburys ' engraved on the back , ive no doubt some muppet will pay it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    That watch, I know for a fact, has been up Randy McNab's bum.
    This watch!

jeff

I can understand the appeal of rare military Submariners etc that were ordered from Rolex officially by the British army.
    But I assume this Explorer was simply engraved by the soldier who owns it - in which case surely it's not really worth hardly any more than a standard version. If it sells well though then maybe the vendor can get a few more engraved,
    can't blame him.......a fool and his money are easily parted

That's me (and my devilishly handsome good looks) out then.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    some rolex alway get silly money and ive no doubt this will go the same way tho to me its markings mean nothing more than a watch that has say '25 years employment at cadburys ' engraved on the back , ive no doubt some muppet will pay it tho.
    Exactly.

£20 - £30k My arse. This one is £10 including postage. I'm thinking of buying it to wear down the pub next time I tell my "second on the balcony" story whilst giving the thousand yard stare.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I can understand the appeal of rare military Submariners etc that were ordered from Rolex officially by the British army.
    But I assume this Explorer was simply engraved by the soldier who owns it - in which case surely it's not really worth hardly any more than a standard version. If it sells well though then maybe the vendor can get a few more engraved,
    can't blame him.......a fool and his money are easily parted
    Id say it doesn't matter who ordered the watch. Its a rolex explorer and, as such, is worth as much as any other rolex explorer - except to the idiot willing to perpetuate the b*llsh*t by paying more.
    I understand the mentality behind the collecting of military watches, but that's not to say I see it as in any way logical - its usually a compulsion rather than a decision.
    People who collect a thing because its rare generally miss much of the joy of actually liking it!
    However, people who would buy a watch, or anything, because of some tie-in with the special forces - well - that's just a bit sad.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 6th July 2013 at 10:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Id say it doesn't matter who ordered the watch. Its a rolex explorer and, as such, is worth as much as any other rolex explorer - except to the idiot willing to perpetuate the b*llsh*t by paying more.
    I understand the mentality behind the collecting of military watches, but that's not to say I see it as in any way logical - its usually a compulsion rather than a decision.
    People who collect a thing because its rare generally miss much of the joy of actually liking it!
    However, people who would buy a watch, or anything, because of some tie-in with the special forces - well - that's just a bit sad.
    Of course it matters who ordered the watch. It's called provenance. If there was documentation to prove the head of the special forces had a Rolex
    engraved to mark a special occasion it would be worth far more than the same watch that a soldier dropped off at his local engraver to have
    'who dares wins' written on it.

Craftsman

Never.

I know one guy who serves in the SAS and have a close friend who although only a para, worked very closely with the sf for a good while and it seems they actually have less restrictions on the way they look than infantrymen and the like. Whilst in Afghanistan it was difficult to tell the difference between locals and these guys because they all had long beards for example, and whilst serving at home would keep their long hair if they wanted to.
    I do however agree that it would be unlikely for any of them to want to draw attention to the fact they were sf though.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Of course it matters who ordered the watch. It's called provenance. If there was documentation to prove the head of the special forces had a Rolex
    engraved to mark a special occasion it would be worth far more than the same watch that a soldier dropped off at his local engraver to have
    'who dares wins' written on it.
    As Ive said, it wouldn't matter to me one jot. And my opinion of those to who it would is fairly clear Id say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Bonkers. In addition, would the engravings prevent the owner from getting the watch serviced by Rolex, in a similar way to them refusing to service my mother in laws datejust because she had a diamond bezel fixed to it?
    Quite wrong. It is simply and engraved case. No different than if it was a service award from any large company. Your mother in laws bezel is aftermarket and something that Rolex do not supply. Which is why they are refusing to service it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    What the juddering hell is that Graham monstrosity? A Photoshop job surely? Or have Graham jumped the shark here?
    Graham haven't 'jumped the shark'. They dived in with it on day one. Rather than offering a well designed, desirable watch. They've attached themselves to absolutely anything; RAF/Army/Navy, Guy Martin TT Races, F1 with Mercedes GP etc. They're the watch equivalent to a Z list celebrity who'll turn up at the opening of an envelope....

Back to the OP, who know's what it'll make. A few Pro Hunters made good money against estimates at Christies Hong Kong last Spring....