closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talking of mattresses

Talking of mattresses

Or however its supposed to be spelled; I am shopping around for one now. The memory foam ones, are they hot, don't fancy over heating.

I see there are latex ones too, though as to what the difference is....

There seem to be some much better online deals for said mattress than buying them from an outlet, Benson's etc. Tepur seem very expensive.

Debated this for the last 6 months - finally pulled the trigger on a Tempur Cloud matters and pillows.

Expensive for sure - we gat a deal, but it is the best nights sleep ever!!!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Me & Mrs GB were looking at Hypnos. We crashed out at a Premier Inn one night & it was nice & firm. But have since been told hotel mattresses are different to domestic because of fire regs.

Tempur are too hot for me. I have a mattress with memory foam and some kind of air flow system to keep it cooler; it's still quite hot but much better for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Tempur are too hot for me. I have a mattress with memory foam and some kind of air flow system to keep it cooler; it's still quite hot but much better for me.
    With the correct quilt it's fine for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    With the correct quilt it's fine for us.
    Gingerlily?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Gingerlily?
    Tempur's own actually.

only 1 premier league mattress - Vi Spring!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Me & Mrs GB were looking at Hypnos. We crashed out at a Premier Inn one night & it was nice & firm. But have since been told hotel mattresses are different to domestic because of fire regs.
    I have a Hypnos and it's really good. Plenty of support and it feels sturdy as anything. It's a fairly deep mattress compared to the outgoing Silent Night (or whatever it was).

Craftsman
    We've just bought a one with a deep latex topper (loads of springs underneath but can't remember how many).

The wife picked it as soon as she laid on it. At the time I thought it was too expensive (£2,000 for the super king), but it is the most comfortable mattrass I have ever laid on. Add to the fact we spend a third of our life in bed, I actually now think the £2,000 is reasonable. The cost of the head board however still pisses me off!!!!

The latex is certainly cooler than the equivalent depth memory foam.

Craftsman
    I had one of those, thick layer of memory foam on top and pocket sprung underneath. Never too warm and sooooo comfy. Best nights sleep I ever had.
    In fact, I used to lure poor unsuspecting women back to my place with a guarantee of the best nights sleep they had ever had. Without exception, each agreed the next morning. Some even stayed for another night.. Some even got some sleep

Quote Originally Posted by moynan66 View Post
    We've just bought a one with a deep latex topper (loads of springs underneath but can't remember how many).

The wife picked it as soon as she laid on it. At the time I thought it was too expensive (£2,000 for the super king), but it is the most comfortable mattrass I have ever laid on. Add to the fact we spend a third of our life in bed, I actually now think the £2,000 is reasonable. The cost of the head board however still pisses me off!!!!

The latex is certainly cooler than the equivalent depth memory foam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewjardon View Post
    I had one of those, thick layer of memory foam on top and pocket sprung underneath. Never too warm and sooooo comfy. Best nights sleep I ever had.
    In fact, I used to lure poor unsuspecting women back to my place with a guarantee of the best nights sleep they had ever had. Without exception, each agreed the next morning. Some even stayed for another night.. Some even got some sleep
    +1

We looked at memory foam good few years back and it was too soft, particularly at the edge of the bed, so after a lot of bounce testing we splashed out on a myers mattress which had their best springs combination with a decently thick memory foam topper built in. Cost well over a grand, but it is sooooo good to sleep on.

Very soft, but very supportive.

Master
    3 key points when looking for viscoelastic foam (the true name for "memory foam") mattresses or toppers:

1) Density - proper, decent VE foam will be over 70 kg/m3
    2) ILD - rarely mentioned, this is the amount of deflection a VE foam will undergo for a given weight. Anything around the 14-15 mark is ideal - any lower and it's too soft causing the sunken feeling, any higher and it's too firm, giving lack of support.
    3) 3" thickness is the absolute minimum to be effective, 4" is better. Not aware of anything thicker, since it adds no benefit and only increases production costs, which means higher end user price.

Not all VE foams are equal, therefore it is unfair to cite all as being "too warm" - that statement is a combination of duvet tog rating used, type of foam used as the base layer, and design of mattress regarding airflow channels.
    Bottom line, don't base purchasing on the price - it only tells a part of the story, and don't pay over the odds, since higher prices doesn't equate to best performance.

More of the best aspects of memory foam can be read here - www.ergoflex.co.uk and www.intellifoam.com
    Last edited by PJ S; 3rd July 2013 at 03:39.

Hypnos for me. After looking around for ages I thought they offered me the best value for money for a handmade mattress. Sure there are better but you can pay alot more. I went for a regular tension which seems nice and soft compared to the plank I was sleeping on before. 10 year guarantee also.

Neil

I recently bought an iSleep memory foam mattress for the bed in our 'guest' room. I paid about £150, and it's at least as comfortable as the £900 coil sprung/memory foam topper mattress on our main bed.

I see Argos have it on special offer at the moment, for £128 ... http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6342621.htm

We've got a very firm Hypnos. Not cheap but very good value for money.

We just reduced the quilt tog, Tempur isn't hot for us. Just a wonderful thing

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We just reduced the quilt tog, Tempur isn't hot for us. Just a wonderful thing
    That should adjust the tempurature.

I'll get me quilt ..
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I am in the same position I have a cheap memory foam mattress bought of ebay and i use a 3.5 and 6 tog quilt if it gets really cold maybe a 9 tog but generally I find them hotter than I would like. I am considering spending 5-6 hundred on a John Lewis traditional one but I am concerned that is not going to be as comfortable as my cheapo memory foam.Maybe the answer lies in a hybrid one designed to keep you cooler. I have been pondering on this one for absolutely ages over a year and I still cant make my mind up its a bloody nightmare. Anyway good luck with the hunt the one piece of advice I would offer is if going for a traditional mattress I think you get what you pay for, where with memory foam I am not so sure.

Been using a Tempur mattress and pillows for around 10 years. Recently bought one of their duvets too. Not cheap, but I think they're great.

regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by markie3182 View Post
    I am in the same position I have a cheap memory foam mattress bought of ebay and i use a 3.5 and 6 tog quilt if it gets really cold maybe a 9 tog but generally I find them hotter than I would like. I am considering spending 5-6 hundred on a John Lewis traditional one but I am concerned that is not going to be as comfortable as my cheapo memory foam.Maybe the answer lies in a hybrid one designed to keep you cooler. I have been pondering on this one for absolutely ages over a year and I still cant make my mind up its a bloody nightmare. Anyway good luck with the hunt the one piece of advice I would offer is if going for a traditional mattress I think you get what you pay for, where with memory foam I am not so sure.
    Tempur is a million miles from the cheapo rip offs, it's in a totally different league

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    3 key points when looking for viscoelastic foam (the true name for "memory foam") mattresses or toppers:

1) Density - proper, decent VE foam will be over 70 kg/m3
    2) ILD - rarely mentioned, this is the amount of deflection a VE foam will undergo for a given weight. Anything around the 14-15 mark is ideal - any lower and it's too soft causing the sunken feeling, any higher and it's too firm, giving lack of support.
    3) 3" thickness is the absolute minimum to be effective, 4" is better. Not aware of anything thicker, since it adds no benefit and only increases production costs, which means higher end user price.

Not all VE foams are equal, therefore it is unfair to cite all as being "too warm" - that statement is a combination of duvet tog rating used, type of foam used as the base layer, and design of mattress regarding airflow channels.
    Bottom line, don't base purchasing on the price - it only tells a part of the story, and don't pay over the odds, since higher prices doesn't equate to best performance.

More of the best aspects of memory foam can be read here - www.ergoflex.co.uk and www.intellifoam.com
    useful info, thanks