closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mother knows best (A question of watch polishing)

Master
    Blog Entries

Mother knows best (A question of watch polishing)

Many rave about the 'Cape Cod' polishing cloths, but it leaves millions of fine hairlines which i dislike intensely. I've obviously used them though and 'Flitz'... This morning the postie brought me a tub of 'Mothers' which is simply superior in every conceivable way. It's a waxy paste that even smells good, is so gentle it would be impossible to remove metal, and cheap at circa £10.00

I would heartily recommend it for the OCD perfectionist types like myself. This tub is the 5oz size which i suspect will be around after me! Only a minute amount is needed for a brilliant shine, free of hairlines. There are numerous eBay sellers, choose one that suits you

Master
    If it doesn't remove metal, how does it work? I thought that's how polish worked on metal?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If it doesn't remove metal, how does it work? I thought that's how polish worked on metal?

OK, a qualification as i'm not waiting to start a debate. Cods are considered good by some but aggressive, this is so mild and such a smooth paste, it is a polish in the true sense not a compound a-la T-Cut, perhaps like a quality car polish enhances, this performs the same task.

It won't remove scratches per-se, its not designed to. Maybe a Cod to do that and finish with this, which is more jewellers rouge like. HTH

Grand Master
    Using a decent cloth like Sylvette always goes along way to reducing hairline marks too
    RIAC

Grand Master
    The latest Cape Cods don`t seem as good as ones I`ve used in the past. I too have problems with the cloths, which seem to introduce fine hairline scratches. I wipe the workpiece over with a Cape Cod then use a soft cloth or a polishing buff to lightly polish the surface. I`m on the lookout for something better and I may try this Mothers stuff.

For a polish to be effective it has to have some abrasive quality, otherwise it won`t take out fine scratches. For final polishing I use a soft polishing wheel with blue compound wherever possible; far better than Cape Cods.

Paul

I've used Pinnacle Superlative polish for over a decade, it's fantastic and i'm only on my second tub.

http://watchpolishing.ipower.com/brush.htm

IMO you can't beat a proper spinning wheel polish like this (no affiliation) http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/ac...hing_Kits.html or one of the dremel type drill attachments.

With a mild compound and the sisal mop, you can get a really nice mirror polish, and there will be a negligible amount of material removed. They also give a really nice brushed finish, as you can keep the wheel parallel to the grain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The latest Cape Cods don`t seem as good as ones I`ve used in the past. I too have problems with the cloths, which seem to introduce fine hairline scratches. I wipe the workpiece over with a Cape Cod then use a soft cloth or a polishing buff to lightly polish the surface. I`m on the lookout for something better and I may try this Mothers stuff.

For a polish to be effective it has to have some abrasive quality, otherwise it won`t take out fine scratches. For final polishing I use a soft polishing wheel with blue compound wherever possible; far better than Cape Cods.

Paul
    Hi can you tell me please what the blue compounds exact name is ... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    I'm glad to read that Paul, I bought a CC about 10m ago and frankly I think it's toss... polishing mop on my dremel seems to be ok.... (i'm still too intimidated to try brushed finishes tho)

Peek, know what I mean
    Gray

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryjames View Post
    Hi can you tell me please what the blue compounds exact name is ... thanks
    Can`t remember! I bought it a coupl eof years back in a DIY store. Cousins do a similar one.

Paul

i decided to get some Mothers based on this thread & i'm glad I did as this stuff rocks. leaves a quality smooth finish with very little effort. Recommended!

Grand Master
    Before I commit to buying some of this stuff, will someone clarify whether it is simply a wax, or whether it has some (albeit very fine) abrasive quality?

If it has no abrasive effect whatsoever it cannot remove hairline scratches....it isn`t possible.

Put some on a piece of white tissue, rub it against a clean steel watchcase, and tell me what colour the paper is. If there's no sign of blackness there's no abrasive effect and it's not for me.

It's advertised as a polish for alloys, not steel, and that's what bothers me.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    A black residue will appear on the cloth with use of Mothers

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    A black residue will appear on the cloth with use of Mothers
    Thanks, that's what I was trying to establish. I had it recommended a while back and forgot about it. I too have problems with the current Cape Cod cloths, sending freshly refinished watches out with tiny hairline scratches is a no-no!

I`ll buy some of this, thanks for the info.

Paul

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...
    I posted a thread about this stuff back in January - I haven't used a Cape Cod since...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=mothers

Mike

Well it looks like I will be ordering some as well. I ave used Cape Cod in the past and thought they were pretty good but this sounds better. I have some shiny Breitlings that need a polish.

Master
    what cloth do you use as I guess the capr cods cloth type has something to do with the finish??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811003424...84.m1439.l2649
    Last edited by watchmad; 13th July 2013 at 09:26.

What's the difference:
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    the name??? :)

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    the name??? :)
    It's twice the price.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What's the difference:
    I think they use it in the Army.

I'll get my coat!