closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone thought of leaving the UK for good?

Has anyone thought of leaving the UK for good?

I have been offered the chance to move to Brisbane and although i have just come back from a 2 week trip to look around the place I am still unsure.

Whats stopped others leaving the uk?

And for those who have left any regrets?

Thanks

Given the diverse areas where members of this forum live, I suspect most have thought about it, and a fair few have done it, reading of their experiences should be interesting.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Not me.

All my family and friends are here, why would I?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not me.

All my family and friends are here, why would I?
    Precisely the same thought that stops me running off to somewhere like California.

I'm in the process of leaving a wet, windy and oppressed UK for a sunny every day, lovely California.

Craftsman
    The UK does the Colour Green and Country Pubs very well. We moan about the weather but really.... generally we have four seasons and they're not too bad. Live anywhere with one climate for too long and you get fed up with it.

I lived in Holland for a few years, France for a few years, Brazil for a year, Sicily for a couple of years + 6 month stints in the US, India, Azerbaijan, UAE but I always come back to the UK.

I think it's good to try other cultures but I'll always have a base here to come back to.

Master
    Living in London I must admit that the thought does cross my mind every now and again.

I adore Australia and my wife and I had 'serious' discussions about moving there.

Living in the Highlands when family are in Central Scotland and Northern England, they rarely make the effort to visit, in fact last time they did was 2 years ago - we always have to make the effort to head South, BUT, the deciding factor was that my wife didn't want to leave friends and family behind. A 24hr flight is hardly local in case of emergency.

That was 4 years ago and we now both regret we didn't take the idea further. We are far from old, but we both feel age and current life planning is now against us to revisit the idea.

I've been to all 4 corners of the Britain, and I'm happiest in the Highlands - this is where I want to live, should it be in the UK, but given the opportunity to move to Queensland, I'd jump at it.

Blog Entries
    My mum was an expat for 20 years predominately in Asia and had a great time. She has come back to the UK to be near her grandchildren, but she doesn't regret her time way for one minute. If I had an opportunity to do it I would seriously consider it. Your life isn't a dress rehearsal so take every opportunity and what's the worst that could happen....you don't like it and return home? Go for it is my opinion. Good luck.

alot of folk i know that moved to france / spain 'for good' seemed to come back after about 10 / 15 years ... however, those that went to oz haven't returned ..
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Two years ago my wife and I were very close to moving to the USA.

A specialized and exciting job offer secured for myself, our minds were made up we were going but then half way through the process the offer fell through due to common complications regards visa’s and employing a non US worker etc.

I was glad I went for the opportunity rather than dismiss it, I wanted to know that if it didn’t work out it wasn’t because I wasn’t willing to try it.
    My wife and I discussed at length leaving behind friends and family but decided you have got to take the great opportunities when they arise. Fortunately friends and family supported us and totally agreed with that view point also and that made our decision easier.
    Another important decision for us was that my wife would not be able to do paid work under the visa I/we would have entered the country on, that was a serious consideration as my wife had built a successful career in the UK with transferable and in demand skills, but again we chose the attitude that although one door closes another always opens at a later stage.

Both mine and my wife’s career in the UK has really taken off since this time and we certainly have no regrets that it didn't happen and if the opportunity arose again I would always seriously consider it.
    IMHO in this modern world of direct and affordable flights and advanced communications life is too short to discount a chance to live abroad because of the people you will be leaving behind. I/we are living our life and our decisions must be prioritised for us, not for others. Obviously this is just my view and everyone has different priorities on which they base their decisions.

If you don’t try it you may always find yourselves asking; what if? I don’t like to live my life that way.

Craftsman
    I'd love to move to America - probably NYC (if I could find a decent sized apartment to move into - the tenements are minute!), or California, San Fran. Work permits and the difference in culture (nothing to fall back on, in times of trouble, NHS etc) are tempering my plans though.

Lived in Antigua for a while as a kid (fond memories of fishing and drinking Rum Punch much to my Dads annoyance!) and moving to South Africa for a few years after getting married. No regrets and enjoyed every moment on living overseas. Constantly travel overseas as part on my business but always enjoy coming back to Blighty, which in Summer, is the most beautiful Country in the World.

If we could just get rid of the politiicans, greedy bankers and spongers it would be perfect!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    My wife keeps talking about wanting to move to Austrialia or New Zealand, when she qualifies, but then it comes back to being close to her family so I know it won't happen. We talked about moving an hour down the road and its too far from her family.
    Me, the only place I really see as home is Devon and I haven't lived there for just over 30 years, one day I want to move back, but at the moment I don't really worry where I reside.

Master
    There are two little mantras I use as a scorecard in relation to life decisions, as follows (one I got off someone's signature here, the other was from the film 'We bought a zoo'):

"It's the regrets you should worry about not the risks."
    "Why not...."

I've recently spent 3 years in the Middle East (Saudi, Bahrain, Oman). When I went out there I had no idea how long I would be there (6 months? 6 years? 60 years?) - and went from working for one start up to another and then another, with some significant gaps in between when I was working but not earning - it would probably have been just the same in the UK and I was able to pay the bills and enjoy the sunshine. It was a roller coaster of fun and frustration, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed the experiences - work, people, cultures, countries etc.

When I went out there I was fully committed to living in the region and wound up most of my affairs etc here - if you're going to make something work you need to be committed, but I'm back now and really happy to be back. The things I really missed were easy access to family and friends. Of course I love the UK as well - green and lush, and proper seasons. Out there I was always a foreigner and was always going to be one, the UK is where I am from and where I belong.

Of course I have no regrets about going, and it has been a learning experience in many ways. Would I do it again if the opportunity arose - I'm not sure. I would happily work aboard again, but I would probably just see it as a 'project' knowing full well that I would be back in the UK as soon as it was over.

So my view - look at 'why not.....' and then go for it if there aren't compelling reasons not to, but the big thing IMO is family and friends - I watch some of these things on TV where people are moving to the other side of the world and you see the tears and emotions caused by the separation from family and friends - in many of those cases I question why they are leaving all that behind...... they are the most important people in your life. If you need to reinvent yourself why not try it in the UK first - it's a big enough country.

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Living in London I must admit that the thought does cross my mind every now and again.
    Living in Lancashire the thought does cross my mind every minute of every day.

I'd answer 'no' to the question.

There are some places abroad that I really like and I've both lived and owned property overseas, but I am always happy to return to my homeland. The only real incentive to me for leaving is our cold and wet weather, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to spend a lot of time in sunnier climes and miss the worse of it.

Whilst I'm planning to spend October - March overseas I'd still return to the UK and cannot see me ever leaving for good.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Thought about doing it, did it, not regretting it.

Very definitely yes. We (my wife & I) first left the UK in the mid 80s, lived in Sydney (where we became Oz citizens), then Toronto, then Singapore and then returned to the UK in the mid-late 90s.

We left the UK for the second time (for good this time) in 2008 to move back to Australia, this time to Brisbane.

The first time it was all just adventure - bored at staying in one place I suppose. This time it is to settle for good and I can't think of a better place for the kids to grow to adults.

I love the UK but always wanted to experience life elsewhere when I lived there. As a result of all that travel, family and friends are all over the place rather than just in one area in the UK and we see them pretty frequently.

Master
    I almost moved to the US back in the eighties due to recession, poor job prospects, increasing crime rate ............................... if I had moved then, I would have had just the same there now but with better weather in the summer and froze my nu*s off in the winter!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Living in Lancashire the thought does cross my mind every minute of every day.
    Fully agree and my brother has lived in Brisbane for the last 14 years.

really interesting reading and thank you keep them coming. My official offer comes next Wednesday so i guess the doubts i am having are expected can not imaging me not going though

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    .. but the big thing IMO is family and friends - I watch some of these things on TV where people are moving to the other side of the world and you see the tears and emotions caused by the separation from family and friends - in many of those cases I question why they are leaving all that behind...... they are the most important people in your life. If you need to reinvent yourself why not try it in the UK first - it's a big enough country.
    Wise words.

My son lives in Florida, his house backs the beach.

He looks happy in the pics but as he says anything palls after a while and he really misses home.

Human beings are complex creatures.

Cheers,
    Neil.

I think about it every day. My brother has been living in Thailand for 20 years.

As someone whose family on both sides lived far away in other countries getting to see them so infrequently - sometimes every three or four years - meant my close family has always been small. When I watch the 'living Down Under' type programmes I always feel sorry for the grandkids who'll likely not see their grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins again, and vice versa. The cost of the travel, the commitment in moneny and time required to 'give up' your annual holiday for a fortnight in Oz is considerable so family visits will be very rare unless you're wealthy.

My sister's family live in Cornwall, a 350 mile drive. Even that, with the best will in the world, is too far to go more than a couple of times a year. I only see them when the come up here (for reasons I won't go into I can't make that drive).

Even now, when they've all been dead for many years, I miss not having my grandparents around when I was growing up.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 20th June 2013 at 12:27.

I used to live abroad and didn't regret it at all. What brought me back were a few things. Schools, better job security, pension, health care. All of these however are rapidly disappearing in the UK so if someone were to ask me now if its a good idea to leave the UK I would say "Get a suitcase packed and a one way ticket" In regards to family, they were never a plane ticket away and they also came to visit me (Cheap holiday) Not to mention now there is Skype and other means of staying in touch than the humble telephone.

Moving down under is a big ask though, I do know of a few people who have ended up moving back because of the distance. When I do retire though, I will be on the first plane out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    Thought about doing it, did it, not regretting it.
    +1 been away for 5 years now also in NL, never regretted it and also close enough to home to visit when I like. My quality of life is higher and I only see the UK going downhill....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I'm in the process of leaving a wet, windy and oppressed UK for a sunny every day, lovely California.
    I think i may hate you a little bit.......

Tom

Grand Master
    ''Why''?,it can't be that bad everyone else want's to come and live here!lol.

Journeyman
    you only live once go for it. you can always come back. But if you don't go you may or wonder what if?
    I am fortunate to have lived overseas and all over the UK in my RAF days - with today's communications you can easily keep in touch with family.

I would go tomorrow - challenge is age/essential job list for migrating. Still gets me thinking?

john

Master

Cool

If i've thought of leaving Northern Ireland for England ,does that count ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    If i've thought of leaving Northern Ireland for England ,does that count ?
    I did just that, so I vote "no", it doesn't count!

I don't think I would leave the UK now. I would have when younger but I think I would miss the following:
    Pubs
    Beer
    Cheese
    Education

And, most of all (shame it hasn't been mentioned already) the sarcasm, wit and general self-deprecation that we do so well. I can't be doing with insincerity or self-aggrandisement. A holiday in the US always leaves me longing for the terrible, rude but honest customer service we get here.

It's funny to see so many people mentioning the weather though. Try moving abroad and see if they want to discuss it as much!

I can leave the military in 2 years and my plan is to emigrate to Canada with the family. There are so many positives, I would be silly not to leave. Plus 30 in summer and minus 20 in winter where I plan to go. My family is young and so it would be perfect timing.

For me the risk is fairly small but life would be dull without some risk, especially if you can afford to.

Funny, here and then I'm thinking of moving to the UK :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I plan to buy my idyll house in France next month, have two to three years of commuting (between French and English homes) and then moving permanently after that. I cannot wait, and see no reason at all to stay on this overcrowded and rainswept island.
    Last edited by Skyman; 20th June 2013 at 21:43.

Some close friends have had the following experience:
    My friend is a professional, retired a few years ago, and settled not far from me. His parents grew ill one after the other over a period of 15 years. He was the one who travelled regularly up to Sunderland for care and companionship purposes.
    His brother was in the army and did well, rising through the ranks to colonel before he retired. He and his wife chose to live in France and visited seldom. He did none of the caring duties and left all that to my friend. Both parents eventually passed away. The thing that is clear is that whilst the brothers were close as boys, they have little in common now and are 'polite' when they meet. The army brother regrets now not taking more time to visit. Too late.

Of course, if nobody migrated I wouldn't be here (who said 'yay!'); my dad moved here in '46. For young healthy families it is a whole new world to explore, which can be brilliant, but, heavens, if you leave the rest of your family behind then there will be consequences down the line. Who looks after your elderly parents is just one.
    Skype, telephone - neither is a substitute for a hug from your mum, or watching your kids get that from their grandparents. For every gain you achieve in your new world you make a loss in the old one. Your kids had a great day playing in the Canadian snow, but - 'I wish gran could see me'.
    I suppose it comes down to family ties.

People seem to move countries with some kind of 'escape' in mind. You can't escape yourself though, and that's where most peoples dissatisfaction is rooted. Twelve months later, you're feeling pretty much the same, but wearing shorts! It's the right thing for many (particularly if moving for positive reasons) but where it doesn't work out, it's usually because motivations haven't been properly identified.

Master
    Regularly; usually to Malta (only place I've ever felt equally 'at home'), predominantly because of our rubbish weather but more recently due to what I see as the continuing declining state of our society and standards.

Never say never.......

Mum has lived in Quesada Alicante for over 6 years.Would love to just jet off rather than just holiday there but too many commitments over here at the moment .

Maybe one day.Property is cheap over there due to there massive recession and lets face it the weather has got to be better. In the mean time will just holiday

regards
    T

Craftsman
    I'm doing it in six months, off to Australia for good. In all honesty it is my wife who was the driving force behind it. She has wanted to move for years but due to my kids from a previous marriage and being in the forces stopped us going. Now I am leaving the forces and the kids are grown up there is nothing to stop us. She moved two years ago and is loving it, I've been over for extended holidays in that time but I know I am coming back. When I go in January it will be a massive step, daunting and exciting at the same time. No job to go to, no kids with me, no immediate family but I was never going to stay in Britain and Australia is the place I would have chosen. A big adventure ahead.

Paddy

Craftsman
    If you have the desire to try another country and you have skills to get you in to work there, I
    would recommend it. I worked and lived in EU and US in the 90s and it was a terrific experience.
    I'm back in the UK for 3 more yrs and am considering an exit strategy, simply based on the the sstate of this country & that it will be not any use to my children in their working lives !

Darren

I do smile slightly when I hear about the state of the country.. tbh from what I can see its not a case of the grass is greener in other countries.

So I'll ask - what state is this country falling into.. and how do you know that the same is not the case around the world ?

Not for good although I know increasing numbers of people who have.

We definitely intend to live abroad for a couple to a few years at some point to work/study. I can't see myself doing it permanently because this is home. But I'd regret not using my one opportunity at life not to experience something new.

Of course you miss family and friends but then, moving abroad isn't supposed to be an easy decision. I think it's a shame to waste any good opportunity and live life on the safe side. If you don't try,you never know.

I thought about this around 7-10 years ago, had a job offer in Australia, asked the wife, she wanted to go, asked the kids and they started to rant and rave so decided to stay put.

This country is rapidly gong down the pan and now when talking to the kids they suggest that I should have been more forceful about moving as they too can see things rapidly going downhill.

I often think about this, but the problem is that the wife want's to come with me, along with the bairns..........
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Left 2.5 years ago for Perth.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it.

What is better, for me?

Having moved from the "Best place in the UK" http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bes...104932275.html
    To the "9th most livable city in the world" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's...livable_cities

Better houses (bigger house, newer, more land)
    Better jobs (massive pay increase)
    Less commuting (15min train, 10min walk vs at least 45min drive)
    More entertainment (comedy shows, concerts, local bands - all closer and easier to get to)
    Better weather (allowing more outdoor time)
    Roads & Public transport (traffic flows better, trains and busses are cheap)
    Proximity to Asia for holidays
    Wildlife (I still get a buzz from seeing a wild roo, boating with dolphins or a thorny devil on the road side)
    Food (Several top resturants all on our doorstep, with a wide range of 'proper' Thai, Chinese and Indians - not the westernified stuff)
    Sport (AFL, cricket, rugby, V8 supercars - and all easier to see live compared with UK equivalents)
    Cleanliness (less litter, less fly tipping, less polluting transport, more litter pickers on the streets, clean fresh air)
    Medical (can book stuff in so quick compared to the UK. BUPA UK were slower than BUPA Aus)

The stuff thats worse?

Miss my friends (have loads here, but it's different from the ones you 'grew up' with)
    Cheap cars, cheap flights (but the pay rise covers that)
    Internet shopping (have to order it from over East, the US or the UK)
    Next day deliveries (just doesn't happen)
    Pubs (Aussies perfer more of a 'bar' here, and the 'pubs' are full of poms. But most of my entertaining is at mine or friends houses)
    Pay for banking (Which can be easily minimised, and having an okay savings rate combined with getting 10% interest on my super kinda makes up for it)

Things I couldn't give two s**ts about, that others seem to always mention?

Sausages (Really? Are they really that important? My butcher makes some of the best sausages I've tasted)
    Heat (Just put the AC on, it's not an issue. Just like the cold in the UK, put the heating on)
    Remoteness (Erm, it is. Deal with it. Singapore is just a 5 hour flight)
    Nightlife (Perth is heaving every time i go out. The CBD is packed full of bars, and Northbridge is great for food before heading to the city for a show)
    Bogans (Easily avoided, like the UK chav)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    To the op.

Do you have kids?

I'd go tomorrow. I'd leave my extended family behind and my friends behind as a necessary sacrifice to give my 15 year old son a real chance of happiness and a future.

He's young enough to make new friends and carve out a great future, and with luck a wife and then kids (grand kids for me and mrs RJM)

The uk has become a breeding ground for corruption, discrimination in every way shape and form plus rediculous minority's attempting to suppress the majority.

Forced sexual education onto children, including homosexual information and hijacking childrens innocence, racial tension caused by archaic religious interpretation. Terrorism. A welfare state where its beneficial NOT to go to work. A police force which used to be the envy of the world but seems riddled with corruption and the broken NHS. Being run by criminal politicians who think nothing of lining their own pockets at any opportunity.

What's not to like about emigrating!!!!!

Mrs RJM's wife went to Sydney 5 years ago and comes back at Xmas, as their annual holiday. My lad went two years ago for 3 weeks and adored it.

I'm looking forward to visiting in the next year or two and then try to convince Mrs RJM as she's the stumbling block for me as she's less keen to leave friends and family......
    Last edited by RJM25R; 28th June 2013 at 07:33.

Craftsman
    Left the UK in January 2010 for Poland after being made redundant.

After Poland I moved out to Armenia, not exactly glamourous but I like the place, like the people, like my job and the guys I work with and every day is an adventure though not always a good adventure.

Opened my eyes to a lot of things and improved my own skills (Russian and Polish languages mainly).

What do I miss about England? Pubs and Pedigree beer - thats it.

Would I go back? I hope I never have to go back!

Master
    Australia's not a bad place but beware, it's full of poms and kiwis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Twelve months later, you're feeling pretty much the same, but wearing shorts!
    Classic
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.