closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MWC vs CWC

Journeyman

MWC vs CWC

Im not knowledgable in these things, so what's the general consensus, which one is better?

It seems to me that most lean towards CWC as they are uk forces issued, whereas MWC are not, and therefore are more collectible.

But which is the better of the two? They MWC's seem to have the edge feature-wise (pvd, screw in crown, 100m, etc).

mwc are completely shit, all it takes is a quick google . hth. if youre looking at a g10 you should also consider eddie's precista.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    mwc are completely shit, all it takes is a quick google . hth. if youre looking at a g10 you should also consider eddie's precista.
    As above, but please note, the PRS10 is now sold out, so you would be looking used.

If you decide to go for CWC, forget all the 'must have an issued watch' rubbish and go for a brand spanker.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    If you decide to go for CWC, forget all the 'must have an issued watch' rubbish and go for a brand spanker.
    Why? Some of the CWC issued pieces are cheaper than the new ones? Fair enough a new one comes with a guarantee and should be good for years to come but then its sterile.

Darren - also have a look at the issued Precistas too - they're basically the same type of watch as the CWC but aren't as common.

Master
    I agree entirely. They should be called MMWC, Mickey Mouse Watch Company.I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by philjopa View Post
    Why? Some of the CWC issued pieces are cheaper than the new ones? Fair enough a new one comes with a guarantee and should be good for years to come but then its sterile.
    I simply meant, not to get all excited in the hype of an issued piece, which has been worn without any consideration for it's well being. The military provenance is of importance to some and not to others and if you are in the latter category, go for a new watch. Let's face it, most of the rubbish touted on eBay has only seen the wrist of a cook timing breakfast sausages, not those who once stormed the Iranian Embassy

That's absolutely right...

Anchor supplies

Are selling unissued CWC G10's with all the usual issued markings in their original boxes and with a 1 year guarantee - genuine stock they must have found a batch hiding somewhere

CWC only and go for a new one, if you can,that means from Silvermans. The 'new' ones on Ebay are on £5 cheaper than from Silvermans.

If the £130 is bit steep, Anchor Supplies do re-furbished ones with a warranty.

I've no connection with either, other than having bought one from Silvermans.

WG

Master
    Well,bit against the current but here is first watch i bought when felt needed more than one!! Still going strong and good lume.

There have been lots of comments across the net on the quality of MWC watches and generally they have been negative. I once saw a thread on an MWC quartz someone had opened and it wasn't a pretty sight. That being said most of the negative remarks are about their quartz ones and the divers watch seems to be reasonably well thought of and as an automatic is about half the price of a CWC.

I have had a couple of CWC watches and would say they are nothing special in fact for use I prefer the Pulsar. It seems to have a much better lume, better shape, better shaped crystal and more easily readable than the CWC. I guess it depends on what you want it for. If you are just looking for a tough "Military" Looking watch that is fit for purpose you may want to look at the Pulsar watch which is about half the price of a CWC.

CWC G10 7 jewels movement :

MWC no jewel movement :

Journeyman
    I've had my Silverman's CWC G10 now for about six years - still going strong and freakishly accurate, so another CWC recommendation!
    Just wish I could swim with it. I'm thinking of Eddie's Precista G10 for this very reason.

Marcus.

I have about 12 of the issued CWC/Precista G10 and I have to say that I much prefer the issued to the unissued watches. Sure, some of the watches I have seen are bashed to bits but I have not bought those. The interest lies in locating rare models in as best condition as possible. I then strip them down and replace the glass etc. So far after 3 years of having my collection of older watches, none have let me down apart from needing a new battery.

Are you telling me that you would prefer a new Silvermans CWC over a Navigator from 1980? I doubt it!!

Peter

Journeyman
    Looks good, the hands and numbers are extremely legible, I like it.

And it's these in which folks say the movements are suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Well,bit against the current but here is first watch i bought when felt needed more than one!! Still going strong and good lume.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Looks good, the hands and numbers are extremely legible, I like it.

And it's these in which folks say the movements are suspect?
    Hands and dial would look on on a Timex. The CWC owes a lot to the DefStan specs, which were slightly modified for the quartz movement, but descending from those which created the IWV Mk series. The CWC IS a military watch; the MWC shouts "wannabe"; if they took the "Military Quartz" tag off it would be at least a bit more honest. That's the fundamental problem; it's OK for Walts but it's not the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    That's the fundamental problem; it's OK for Walts but it's not the real deal.
    Indeed. As part of this ongoing attempt to pretend to be something they're not I also see that they've released a model which seems to have more than passing resemblance to the Boccia Bund German-issue watches.

Harrumph.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

It's not the homage aspect I take exception to , it's the quality . That , and the incredibly disingenuous marketing that leads unsuspecting suckers to believe they are buying the real deal .

Journeyman
    And if you wanted a decent pvd G10 with good lume, legible hands and 100m rating, then what would you go for?

And if you wanted a decent pvd G10 with good lume, legible hands and 100m rating, then what would you go for?
    its not completely impossible but its not economic. it just depends how mad you are. there isnt one on the market atm.

Master
    Methinks he doth protest too much.

The British military managed for years in combat and on exercise, with the limited WR supplied by the CWC G10s. SBS and SAS got/get Rolex Subs and Precista or CWC divers. If you're looking for something with decent WR, then what's wrong with one of those? Or a Seiko diver. Which is what a lot of my sneaky beaky colleagues used to use, often in preference to the Rolex. If you're planning to spend the time at the depth underwater that requires 100m WR, then you'd want a bezel, anyway. If you're trying to find a reason to pitch a MWC of the type illustrated (I won't call it a G10 - that's a military designation and the MWC is a wannabe military-style watch, not a military watch) then I guess your list of attributes would help in that task.

But, to my mind if you want a watch of that sort, get the real thing, or a Precista PRS-10, which has good WR, OK lume and doesn't shout about a fake military heritage. I wouldn't buy an IWC Top Gun either, for the same reason, or a Breitling/Fortis with someone else's squadron patch. And I'm not wild about the "Official Cosmonaut" markings on my Fortis, or the similar markings on te back of my Speedy Pro; though fortunately they are not really legible. But at least the Fortis was used in space, as was the Speedy Pro; and my mate with his Breitling Aerospace and a Harrier Squadron patch used it when flying RN Harriers in Afghanistan...

And, incidentally, I used to have a PVD MWC diver. The lume was rubbish. The 60-click bezel was misaligned by half a click, and the hands didn't hit the markers. It was OK; though I wish I'd bought the real deal. But there are plenty of decent watches around with "good lume, legible hands and 100m rating"; they just don't carry a logo on the front saying "military quartz".

Pulsar do a military chronograph with legible hands, high water resistance (Better than CWC and I think around the 100m mark) lume is ok some say not great but then I don't think CWC is fantastic either. Given the choice I would go with CWC or Pulsar.

If you are specifically talking about a divers watch, well there are hundreds out there most inexpensive. For the specs you are talking about Citizen and Seiko both spring to mind (Granted the Citizen bezel isn't the best) But again, I personally would go for either of them over a MWC.

Journeyman
    Think I'll get myself a Pro Hunter Explorer then.........

You won’t go wrong with a CWC from Silverman’s. Top kit.

Apprentice
    Whilst I have not bought an MWC, I have yet to hear a positive word for them. I have a small collection of divers watches and at the end of the day you do get what you pay for an old adage but true, whilst I do not dive I do swim regularly, for this my watch of choice is an old Citizen eco-drive as I would not be heartbroken if it was damaged in the pool.

I have a CWC divers [quartz] which was an excellent buy, solid dependable, it still runs on the original battery now [bought 2006] I also have the Precista PRS18 excellent value and a great watch.

But the pride and joy of my collection is the Rolex Sub [no date] this was and still is the divers watch other manufacters emulate, the basic design is 60 years old, historically used by more navies than any other divers watch, although it was not designed with the military in mind, it has an excellent case, proven and well made in house movement & triple locked crown .

Rolex watches with oyster cases are guaranteed 'Waterproof' not just water resistant, they have proven the technology to the bottom of the Mariana trench at 35000+ ft with 16300 psi, twice! However be warned for the cost of a complete service you can buy a CWC and have change left over!

At the end of the day if you want a dependable diver as a daily wearer Citizen is a good bet, if you want a mil-spec diver CWC or preferably a Precista is worth considering.

But if you lust for the best and can afford it the Rolex sub cannot IHMO be beaten

Apprentice

I see these images constantly re-hashed images so ‹here are pics of my 100m MWC G10

Here is my 100m G10 MWC you will see the movement is clearly a Ronda 715li 10 year battery movement. A far removed movement from the image that seems to appear of the movement below. What I find odd is that the same little image has been appearing on various forums for many years and I am sure not everyone can have taken an identical image! Regardless it was enough for me to whip the back of my 100m model to see what was in it and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was indeed the Ronda 715li on the spec sheet although in the pic I have removed the hurge battery because otherwise its all you can see. MWC 100M G10 2.jpgMWC 100M G10 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent B View Post
    CWC G10 7 jewels movement :

MWC no jewel movement :