closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Watch - what did you wear, or would like to wear?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wedding Watch - what did you wear, or would like to wear?

At the ripe old age of 45, I am getting married next year in a castle in Scotland. After three kids and 15 years together, myself and my partner think it is time we got this together.

but among all the planning, visiting venues, bridesmaid dresses and shoes, I started thinking about what watch I would like to wear?

I am yet undecided, to a classic dress watch, or maybe just wearing an all-rounder like a sub etc.

What was your watch on your wedding day? you and the missus in matching Cartier? maybe a Patek?

I would be interested to find out, maybe with a pic of the watch itself?

I wore my 14060 and my pocket watch.
    Last edited by Chris W; 9th June 2013 at 15:08.

I didn't wear one but I was gifted a Rado by the in laws

Well, I bought a 'bond' Seamaster nearly 17 years ago whilst in Barbados just prior to getting married - wore it on the big day but now long gone (the watch that is, still happily married!)
    I kept it for about 10 years - I remember it cost me £1000 for the auto full size version, sold it 10 years later for £600 which was a good deal at the time! -
    I'd wear whatever's your current favourite, I thought the Smp would be a keeper but it turns out I'm not sentimental about watches I wore at particular events etc

The watch my father gave me for my 21st Birthday.

It's a simple Jacquet Droz automatic from the early 80s (probably been on the shelf for a while by the time it was bought I suspect), but I still have it and it gets worn now and then.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

A Tag Classic 2000. I did want to buy a new watch for the big day and tried a few in while ring shopping. Unfortunately after all was paid for we had nowt left for watches.

I wore a 2006 Rolex ND Sub. Sadly gone now replaced by an SD. There is a pic from my wedding day on here somewhere, I'll look for a link.

Can't remember, wasn't a big part of the day.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    fantastic, that looks great with the cufflinks, and exactly the inspiration I am looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can't remember, wasn't a big part of the day.
    well thank you for your contribution to the thread, can I ask why you even posted? having a bad day? divorced?
    Last edited by soundood; 9th June 2013 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    fantastic, that looks great with the cufflinks, and exactly the inspiration I am looking for

well thank you for your contribution to the thread, can I ask why you even posted? having a bad day? divorced?
    why not search TZ?

no problem, i'm happily married. hope you will be

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    mmm cool, I will be needing a present for my best man, and we do like a cigar and brandy (ex smokers) that cigar cutter with the date etc. Is a great idea

Journeyman
    I wore my wedding pressie which was a 1976 Heuer Monza, love that watch (and the lady who bought it!)

Heuer Montreal. Here it is as I set off to the wedding a few hours before I was married.

"A man of little significance"

I got married long before I got into watches, so not even sure I wore one in my wedding day. It would have to be my SD now. Enjoy your special day!

I also was married before I knew much about watches. I wore a Seiko Kinetic and whilst on honeymoon we stopped over on Singapore for a few days. We bought a pair of Tag Heuer watches and 9 years on my wife still wears hers everyday. I have had a few other watches since then but still have the Tag.

I wore my first ever automatic. A Tag Aquaracer 2000. I got it brand new for £180 cash and a portable DVD player!

A guy in work got it as an incentive prize and didn't want it so was happy to swap!

I sold it about 6 years ago and really regret doing so. Everytime I look at the honeymoon snaps (not that often actually!) it's there to remind me.

Funny that I'm more sentimental about it now than I was at the time!

Blog Entries
    This one for me, which was a gift from my now wife. It sat in its box for about 9 months prior to the big day and my first wear was on the day itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The watch my father gave me for my 21st Birthday.

M
    +1

I wore my solid gold Tag Heuer Monza chronograph. I also gave my brother a classic 2000 as a present for being my best man. He still wears his every day whilst I sold mine a while bag when cash got a bit tight. It held no sentimental value as my wife tolerates rather than encourages my watch hobby!

Master
    An ivory dial Speedbird 2. Being an idiot, I later sold it...

Dave

Black Face Explorer II - I wore that watch everyday for years - sold last year to remind me, "it's only a watch".
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    An ivory dial Speedbird 2. Being an idiot, I later sold it...

Dave
    Oh man, what were you thinking?

Not yet married, but I'm leaning towards a Stowa MO.

No sentimental value, but I went for a relatively classic look.

Then I sold it (ahem). Anyway, I hope the wedding goes wonderfully, and congratulations.

Tissot Visodate

I had only one watch when I got married, and it was a Breitling SuperOcean Pro.

I recall having a nasty scab on my wrist on the day, where my friends had needed to carry me out of the back of a limo (classy) a week previously, after the UK leg of my stag do, thereby proving how much sturdier the bracelet was than my skin.

I still have the watch, and it proved a great daily wearer from buying it new in '99 till I found this place.

Got married (again) in 2005 in Vegas (no - no Elvis or drive throughs) and had been banging on about a Tag Kirium F1 for ages.

Wife surprised me with this on the morning of our wedding day.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370805498.576836.jpg

This thread is of interest to me!

I'm getting married later this year, and while watch choice isn't top of my list of priorities right now (do we hire the white chairs or the silver chairs…? do we invite the slightly mad aunt who's sure to cause a scene at some point...? etc.) I'm sure I'll get around to it sooner rather than later.

I'd like to think my fiancee will reciprocate the gesture I made when I gave her the shiny (and expensive!) diamond ring and present me with a wedding gift of a watch to wear, but there's been no hint of that happening (it's all: shall we have a three-tier cake or three separate cakes? Can we rearrange the seating to fit more guests in? Are we going to have salad and soup at the dinner? )

Craftsman
    Like a poster further up, I wore my Tag 2000 classic - white face - 38mm - steel bracelet - it fitted well under the cuffs.

A few years later, my brother wore the same watch.

At the time, I only had that one and a Casio quartz diver. But even if I had other watches with a strap, I would still have worn the Tag.

If I were to marry now, and had a pick of the ones I currently own, (which is now many years later) it would probably be my sub 16610...probably. (I've always got a picture in mind from my James Bond compendium, of a photograph of George Lazenby placing the wedding ring on Diana Riggs finger during their marriage at the end of the film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. You could see his sub bracelet and it just fitted the photo perfectly. Cheesy I know, but....)

I wish you all the best in your endeavours, and may you have a long, fruitful and successful life together.

P.s - tell us what you decide to wear!

Journeyman
    Got married in a DJ, which I still love, but this if I got married tomorrow it would be in this...

Oris bc3 which my wife to be bought me. Still gets worn and a really fine reminder of the day. I wore it every day for 7 years and sold all my other collection (mainly poljots and a couple of mondaines). As finances strengthened I started collecting again, but I still wear the oris and it always makes me smile 12 years on

I'am a wedding photographer and have seen plenty of wedding gifts to the groom, a couple that I remember were a nice Rolex Sub from future wifey and another bride gave her hubby a Breitling Navitimer, well if they get to spend ££££ on a dress its only right the husband gets a treat too!!

Saying that its not that common as I have covered 25 weddings so far this year and not one groom has had a "gift" watch but every bride has had a expensive dress!!

Zenith de Luca, my engagement present from the wife. Best man wore a speedy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Heuer Montreal. Here it is as I set off to the wedding a few hours before I was married.

Looks like a cracking car...what ar were you in?

I wore a simple gold Henri Sandoz in gold

Quote Originally Posted by andybourke View Post
    Got married in a DJ, which I still love, but this if I got married tomorrow it would be in this...

It came 15 years too late for me too

When Lynn and I got married I wore a Talis Divers Watch like the one that sold recently in SC. http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Vintage-diver

Absolutely loved it and can't for the life of me remember whatever happened to it.

I didn't see the one in SC until after it had sold, but have a WTB for one in the Wanted To Buy section.

Would love to have one back on my wrist again 42 years later.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I got married at the end of last April. I wore my Grand Seiko SBGR053 that I bought with a small inheritance from my grandmother. It matches the (platinum) wedding ring nicely and was suitably formal. I do have a slightly blurry photo of me wearing it on the day but I have not yet organised all the photos.

At the airport on the way back from honeymoon in Japan, I bought a limited edition Seiko tuna, the Golgo13 (glossy black with red accents). Bit of a contrast and it certainly can't be worn with a suit!

Master
    This is the one I was wearing on the day, a Patek 5296G

I'd wanted a GMT II with black bezel for ages, my in laws said they would buy it for me as a wedding gift, however they were relatively difficult to get hold of at the time (2005) and the wedding was abroad. Luckily my friend went around London and eventually found one that had just been delivered to Harrods that morning, so he bought it and brought it with him the day before the wedding. Great watch, great wedding!

i don't want to get married but if i attended someone else's wedding, i WOULD LIKE to wear a 3 hand patek, probably a 5196g or if not a patek maybe a reverso

Quote Originally Posted by rossyl View Post
    Looks like a cracking car...what ar were you in?

I wore a simple gold Henri Sandoz in gold
    Healey

"A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sold it.

Master
    The only appropriate timepiece for a wedding is the full Flavor Flav

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/ima...VINGS-TIME.JPG

16610 LV

My outfit was different shades of blue and I thought my LV would compliment it all really well. The other choice was my 16600 which I felt didn't work as well

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    16610 LV

My outfit was different shades of blue and I thought my LV would compliment it all really well. The other choice was my 16600 which I felt didn't work as well
    funnily enough I was speaking with a Goldsmiths manager in his shop today and he had an LV on with a dark blue suit and it looked great.

I then asked him what he paid for it (3 years ago) he told me with staff discount, he paid £2750.

bargain if you ask me

Master
    I wore the only working watch I had at the time - Seiko Series II RN/RAF Pilot Chrono. On a grey NATO. I later wore it on the honeymoon for scuba diving and sailing. It survived all the adventures, but I sold it a few years ago to finance my first Fortis. I kept the wife, though.

Frankly I don't think it matters much which watch you wear. It might be a nice excuse to buy a new one; but it's not about the watch. I wore the same morning suit that my grandfather wore when he married my grandmother in 1937, and that had/has more sentimental value than my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Sorry really doesn't work for me, lacks class.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Wore this,