closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OT:The Moon...

Craftsman

OT:The Moon...

Ok, I'll try and make this watch related, gents.

Whilst wearing my Speedmaster Pro on a Moreletto racing strap (the reddy brown version) I thought I would have a laugh at a programme that was playing tonight on Ch.5 - about whether we landed on the moon or not.

Having shook my head through most of it, and tutting at how some people can be so cynical about the landings never have taken place, something did make me sit up and think.

As there is no weather system on the moon, it was pointed out that wind wouldn't be present. Yet various movie shots of the astronauts showed them planting the American flag with it waving away as if it had been caught by a breeze. It was not possible to wave the way it did just by carrying it or placing it in the ground.

The conspiracy theorists argue that this was in fact filmed at Area 51 blah blah etc etc (you get the rest).

Did anyone else see this programme? And those of you who bought the speedy because of the moon landing connection - would you ever think that anyone could dupe a whole planet?

Personally - the moon landings happened - but hey, I'm not a conspiracy theorist in any event....

Was the flag moving?

Didn't it just have some sort of wires to keep it stiff?

Craftsman
    This is a really tenuous connection to watches...

Master
    I saw a program like that once. There was something about the shadows as well but then they showed an earth telescope with lasers reflecting off the landing site.

Anyway, whatever the truth is, it's a historical watch that commemorates the space race. It's proven itself time and time again even up to today.

Master
    The flag waving thing has been explained away, as have all the other 'anomalies' to do with this 'conspiracy' - plenty of links through Google...

This would be better in the George & Dragon.

Yes we went to the moon, in fact we went to the moon several times but only landed once. If you actually did some research you would see this.

Go and read about it or watch some documentaries, see how many people were involved, the previous Apollo missions to the moon, how Neil Armstrong had 25 seconds of fuel left in the tank by the time he landed on the moon.

Did you know that Neil Armstrong was more interested in the flying aspect and the challenge of landing on the moon and wasn't that bothered about walking on it? He never did it to become a hero or the first man on the moon, he did it because he as an accomplished pilot who wanted the challenge of trying to land on the moon.

If you aren't a conspiracy theorist then why are you writing posts about conspiracy theories?

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post

Yes we went to the moon, in fact we went to the moon several times but only landed once. If you actually did some research you would see this.

Go and read about it.
    Might wanna try doing your own research.

Go and read about it.

Banned
    Why have they never landed again on the moon, they could have the moonwatch II

they never went.

Stanley Kubrick created the moon landings. Thats why he was so revered in the industry despite making substandard films, apart from the first half of full metal jacket. This has never been debunked.

There is footage of an astronaut almost falling over and being yanked up by strings before his colleague can assist. This has never been debunked.

Astronauts would fry instantly in space due to the radiation. This has never been debunked.

Neil Armstrong committed suicide because of the guilt of knowing the truth about the landings. This has never been debunked.

This thread was started by a space troll. Prove it by never posting such stuff again ever. Please debunk.

Master
    Mythbusters recorded a moon landing special and confirmed the flag behaved exactly as it should have in space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMBCfuKs9i8

Master
    Well, they did pretty good to fake it SIX SEPERATE TIMES.....

I honestly think that anyone dismissing the landings is in fantasy land. They are ignoring the 10's of thousands of people who worked through the Gemini and Apollo programs and made it all possible.

All the 6 manned moon landings:

* Apollo 11 - landed 20 July, 1969
    * Apollo 12 - landed 19 November, 1969
    * Apollo 14 - landed 5 February, 1971
    * Apollo 15 - landed 30 July, 1971
    * Apollo 16 - landed 20 April, 1972
    * Apollo 17 - landed 11 December, 1972

Who Walked on the Moon?

In each case, a 3-man crew was sent to the moon: 2 astronauts actually landed on the moon, whereas No. 3 remained on the mother ship as it continued to orbit around the moon. All in all, 12 people have landed on the moon, as per the information below:

Apollo 11 - Neil Armstrong (of "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" fame); Buzz Aldrin

Apollo 12 - Pete Conrad; Alan Bean

Apollo 13 - is famous for not getting there and the heroic efforts needed to save the crew.

Apollo 14 - Alan Shepard; Edgar Mitchell

Apollo 15 - David Scott; James Irwin

Apollo 16 - John W. Young; Charles Duke

Apollo 17 - Eugene Cernan; Harrison Schmitt

Craftsman
    Wait, do people on here seriously believe we didn't land on the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Wait, do people on here seriously believe we didn't land on the moon?
    There was a documentary on it but it had a strange title called Capricorn One. Actual real life astronauts admit it was all a hoax.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    This would be better in the George & Dragon.
    I agree - this didn't cross my mind - only really post here.

Some interesting comments and links though.

Ok, as off topic, game over.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    There was a documentary on it but it had a strange title called Capricorn One. Actual real life astronauts admit it was all a hoax.
    Unless they were the astronauts that landed on the moon, what proof is that that it was faked?

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

they never went.
    You aren't serious are you?
    So clever my foot fell off.

This subject crops up a few times a year and never fails to get hilarious!

To not believe we landed on the moon takes the same level of retardedness as not believing in evolution.

We need more morons who don't believe in the moon landings - every village needs an idiot.

Stanley Kubrick created the moon landings. Thats why he was so revered in the industry despite making substandard films, apart from the first half of full metal jacket. This has never been debunked.

There is footage of an astronaut almost falling over and being yanked up by strings before his colleague can assist. This has never been debunked.

Astronauts would fry instantly in space due to the radiation. This has never been debunked.

Neil Armstrong committed suicide because of the guilt of knowing the truth about the landings. This has never been debunked.

This thread was started by a space troll. Prove it by never posting such stuff again ever. Please debunk.

Wait a moment, do you believe the cr@p you have posted, or are you being ironic? I seriously hope it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

To not believe we landed on the moon takes the same level of retardedness as not believing in evolution.

We need more morons who don't believe in the moon landings - every village needs an idiot.
    Absolutely. Perfectly put.

It saddens me immensely that any person can be so ignorant or stupid to believe such anti-scientific nonsense and superstition.

Craftsman

I am a Jedi. Trained by Yoda on Coruscant. This has never been debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Wait a moment, do you believe the cr@p you have posted, or are you being ironic? I seriously hope it's the latter.
    I thought the last line in the text you'd quoted from what I'd written revealed my true thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by therooster View Post
    I am a Jedi. Trained by Yoda on Coruscant. This has never been debunked.
    If you've been trained by Yoda, can you get me a great monthly contract on Vodafone?
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 8th June 2013 at 00:14.

Unless they were the astronauts that landed on the moon, what proof is that that it was faked?
    The black astronaut featured killed his wife when she threatened to exposed the hoax. NASA rigged the trial so he got away with it.

Well I don't believe Apollo 11 landed on the moon. What happened afterwards, well maybe they did.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned

Wink

You aren't serious are you?

Since you may see yourself as deep and intelligent in comparison to the rest of the forum, you naturally feel a little alienated, and thus closer to space.

Your style of criticism reflects your personality which is to belittle and attack like a school bully, are you hiding something.

Absolutely. Perfectly put.

It saddens me immensely that any person can be so ignorant or stupid to believe such anti-scientific nonsense and superstition.
    We are now entering the realms of the hypercritical I would hate to give you the narcissistic critic that much attention, you have emotionally isolated your real self from your forum aviator, you have created a protective insulation barrier and constructed false persona, you live in the world of rational principles, laws, rules, which are all linear think outside of that box you live in.

Since you may see yourself as deep and intelligent in comparison to the rest of the forum, you naturally feel a little alienated, and thus closer to space.

Your style of criticism reflects your personality which is to belittle and attack like a school bully, are you hiding something.

We are now entering the realms of the hypercritical I would hate to give you the narcissistic critic that much attention, you have emotionally isolated your real self from your forum aviator, you have created a protective insulation barrier and constructed false persona, you live in the world of rational principles, laws, rules, which are all linear think outside of that box you live in.

Eh?

Eh?
    Apparently you love yourself and live in a insulated box......
    Cheers..
    Jase

Well, here we are again.

To save the blood pressure of some members, it might help to read the cogent responses to this last time.

Caution: The following link contains posts by members who believe the moon landings were a hoax.

No, I'm not kidding. You have been warned.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=hanks

Craftsman
    The black astronaut featured killed his wife when she threatened to exposed the hoax. NASA rigged the trial so he got away with it.
    From Wikipedia:
    To date, nobody from the United States government or NASA who would have had a link to the Apollo program has said the Moon landings were hoaxes. Penn Jillette made note of this in the "Conspiracy Theories" episode of his contrarian television show Penn & Teller: Bullshit! in 2005.[92] He said that, with the number of people that would have had to be involved, someone would have outed the hoax by now. Noting the Watergate scandal, Jillette said the government could not have silenced everyone if the landings were faked.

Feel free to read the whole article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_la...iracy_theories

Yes.
    Yes, Im hiding something.
    It was ME that faked those moon landings! Me all along! In collaboration with the American government.
    All these years we've kept this terrible truth a secret - until you came along and exposed us - on a watch forum!

Seriously though - if you personally feel belittled or attacked (which you DO - your post says so) then the problem lies with you not I - either toughen up or stop subscribing to ridiculous theories that make you such a worthy target for what I'll quite readily admit is contempt.

...you live in the world of rational principles, laws, rules, which are all linear think outside of that box you live in.
    Blue sky thinking, eh? But, wait... What if there is no box?!

Last edited by Mortis; 8th June 2013 at 12:23.

^^^ The truth is often funnier than fiction! Great sketch.

From Wikipedia:
    To date, nobody from the United States government or NASA who would have had a link to the Apollo program has said the Moon landings were hoaxes. Penn Jillette made note of this in the "Conspiracy Theories" episode of his contrarian television show Penn & Teller: Bullshit! in 2005.[92] He said that, with the number of people that would have had to be involved, someone would have outed the hoax by now. Noting the Watergate scandal, Jillette said the government could not have silenced everyone if the landings were faked.

Feel free to read the whole article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_la...iracy_theories
    Thats very kind of you to provide the link, but have you actually heard of the film Capricorn One? If you haven't, did you look it up to see what it's about after my references? It's a film starring Elliott Gould, among others. The black astronaut was played by O J Simpson who murdered his wife in real life.

I used the premise of the plot & applied it to real life events to illustrate how conspiracy theorists use one snippet of information to warp it to their own viewpoint.

Wow. Tough crowd. I wish I'd gone on in the second act once everyone has been to the bar.

Here is the original of a photo used by NASA to show astronauts on the surface of the moon, before it had been retouched for public consumption.

Grand Master
    The blare of the conspiracy theorist is tiring, but at least this didn't turn into another oh-speedy-my-speedy dronefest!

Someone, I forget who, once worked out that the cost and effort of a conspiracy including the perpetual effort of keeping it hidden would eventually cost more time and money than an actual landing.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

An old trick of the stage "mentalist" or hypnotist is to have the audience fill in a brief questionnaire. The people who tick the boxes to indicate a strong belief in such things as alien landings, ghosts and conspiracy theories are shortlisted as the easiest subjects to exert control over - despite them often believing themselves to be stronger willed for "thinking outside of the box".
    An extreme example of this is spiritualism - where, generally, simply by attending, the audience indicate that they believe (or really want to) or, at worst are curious - thus providing the fraudster with fertile ground to seed.
    There is a type of person with a certain mindset out there that wants so badly for there to be more to life that, when presented with an opportunity, regardless of how bizarre a form it takes, they will grab it with both hands as though it is fact.

Im with Douglas Adams in saying isn't it enough to see a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

Craftsman
    An old trick of the stage "mentalist" or hypnotist is to have the audience fill in a brief questionnaire. The people who tick the boxes to indicate a strong belief in such things as alien landings, ghosts and conspiracy theories are shortlisted as the easiest subjects to exert control over - despite them often believing themselves to be stronger willed for "thinking outside of the box".
    An extreme example of this is spiritualism - where, generally, simply by attending, the audience indicate that they believe (or really want to) or, at worst are curious - thus providing the fraudster with fertile ground to seed.
    There is a type of person with a certain mindset out there that wants so badly for there to be more to life that, when presented with an opportunity, regardless of how bizarre a form it takes, they will grab it with both hands as though it is fact.

Im with Douglas Adams in saying isn't it enough to see a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
    That I like

Which, let's face it, also explains the plethora of gods man has invented over the millennia ....

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Which, let's face it, also explains the plethora of gods man has invented over the millennia ....
    Well, that was what the Douglas Adams quote at the end of my post was referring to when he originally said it. I decided not to go in that particular direction however - a completely rational-seeming person will laugh in the face of the faked moon landing theory and then go on to defend his choice of sky fairy!

Well, that's torn it.
    "Religion and politics" and all that - cue the sh*tstorm!
    This thread was doomed from the start!

Blog Entries
    The moon landing...troll territory ;)

Anybody who thinks man didn't go to the moon is an idiot.

The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing when it is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors.

John Stuart Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing when it is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors.

John Stuart Mill.
    I wholeheartedly agree - challenge everything. But overthinking the doubtless is the cause of the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Might wanna try doing your own research.

Go and read about it.
    Op was talking about the flag waving and up until then we had only landed on the moon once.

Master
    As people have said, with the number of people involved in the moon programme do they not think it's unlikely that if it was faked not ONE person leaked it?

And even if it was faked, given that the whole moon programme was partly in place to show superiority over the russians, do you not think THEY would have screamed hoax? They had all the kit to know whether we were up there or not.

I am 100% satisfied that they landed on the moon. There is nothing I've ever seen by conspiracy theorists that has even come close to convincing me otherwise.