closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Good Place: Sunningdale? Chertsey? Addlestone?

A Good Place: Sunningdale? Chertsey? Addlestone?

I will be moving soon and need to find a place to live within reasonable (10-20 walking distance preferable) access to a national rail stop in Surrey. Sunningdale is an ideal location (relative to my new work site) but I know nothing about the town. Anyone live in or near there?

What about Chertsey or Addlestone? They seem to be nice enough and are also in my commuting area.

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Journeyman
    Coming from someone who lives reasonably close by to these places, I would say that they are at completely different price points with Sunningdale top, followed by Chertsey, followed by Addledstone.

From a personal perspective Sunningdale has a sodding big road going through it (A30). With Addledstone and Chertsey you will need to be careful of road noise from the M25. Addledstone has a small high street and I would say Chertsey is better for shops. Of the 3 I think Chertsey has the best blend of price and nice place to be.

Journeyman
    As an alternative location have you thought about Molesey? East if you have a fair bit of cash, west if you have less so. Hampton Court train station is in East Molesey, Hersham is down the road as is Esher. Both have faster services in to London.

There is an abundance of open spaces and parks with the river running along the length of the northern border. If you have kids there are good primary and secondary schools.
    Nearby Walton has an Everyman cinema and a shopping centre, Kingston has a multiplex and the best shopping in the area.

East Molesey has a good selection of cares, chain restaurants and independent stores in the bridge road area close to the station.

Cheers (from a west Molesey resident!)

I would probably go with Chertsey, it is also very close to Mclaren so you will see an abundance of stunning super cars most days!

Craftsman
    I live in east Surrey nice village 10 mins walk to the station direct line to Victoria and London Bridge

Poles apart, Sunningdale - Mostly up market and very expensive.......... Chertsey & Addlestone - Chav central - nuff said.

Check this site out............. http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Chertsey, Surrey, UK#crimetypes/2013-04 tells you all you need to know about most areas in the country.
    Last edited by BRGRSP; 4th June 2013 at 21:52.

Master
    Where will you be commuting to? All of Surrey is expensive even the grotty bits, you may be better off creeping in to Hampshire or West Sussex even.

A good friend of mine lives in Sunningdale. Expensive houses and a main road but very nice with some decent pubs and a good Indian restaurant IIRC. A train station makes commuting straight forward I imagine.

Journeyman
    Look at journey times from Sunningdale, they can be pretty long in to Waterloo.

Chertsey at a pinch. Don't go near Woking.

Another Chertsey vote,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Where does that train need you take you? London?

What do you do in your downtime?

for example brookwood & Pirbright are on the mainline and sit on the edge of some of the best MTB cycling areas.

Ash Vale, lightwater, knaphill, all good. Frimley & Camberley

all options
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    A good friend of mine lives in Sunningdale. Expensive houses and a main road but very nice with some decent pubs and a good Indian restaurant IIRC. A train station makes commuting straight forward I imagine.
    Also an excellent golf course!

Thanks! Wonderful replies! I'll start looking into those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Where does that train need you take you? London?

What do you do in your downtime?
    The job is located in Egham, so access to London is not an issue. I am looking for the easiest way to get to work without an automobile.

Access to decent amenities is important. That is why Chertsey looked interesting.

For downtime, I love riding my old motorcycle. Access to country lanes is nice...

I moved to Staines, was pleasantly surprised when we were looking around the area, we bought south of the station. I walk my dog in the park, there's some lovely houses around the area. We were FTB, so not a massive budget which did affect our choices, would probably never have looked into Staines otherwise.

If your budget will stretch and you don't mind living close to work some of the places we saw in Egham are nice.

Have you considered Wraysbury? Its 4 or 5 miles from Egham, on the other side of the river. Not sure what the general consensus about Wraysbury is, though. Seems nice/quiet enough, with a train station if needed.

I should mention that I am seeking rentals only. Maybe that changes a few things.

Journeyman
    I live in Sunningdale :)

A great place to live; but very expensive.

It really comes down to what you want to do, methods of transport, etc.

Your money would go much further in Ascot; with the added benefit of Ascot High street, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Have you considered Wraysbury? Its 4 or 5 miles from Egham, on the other side of the river. Not sure what the general consensus about Wraysbury is, though. Seems nice/quiet enough, with a train station if needed.
    I thought Wraysbury was on the final approach to Heathrow Airport?

You have to be very careful with location if you are looking for "quiet" around Egham as it is almost due west of Heathrow. Avoid being directly east or west as that is the runway orientation, so for instance planes track the M4 / A4 and fly pretty close to Windsor, but if you stay a little further south then you won't be bothered.

Egham is pretty small but a nice town with a Ferrari dealer. Staines has way more going on and is reasonably priced for the wider area, so a very good place to start. Englefield Green outwards to Old Windsor is also nice but less amenties

Journeyman
    Ultimately it all comes down to what the OP wants in terms of local amenities, etc; but more importantly where he would be getting the train to. Sunningdale is only on 1 line; whereas Ascot, Virgina Water, Wokingham and Staines provide access to multiple lines.